• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Glass Joe

After loosing my Donkey Kong Country VC games with no warning from Nintendo Im a little nervous about buying anything digital from them again.

You didn't loose (or lose) your Donkey Kong Country games with no warning. Even if you were silly enough to delete them, you can still redownload what's in your history (unless I'm mistaken).

Crewnh said:
You seriously think this warrants a charge? Using the most basic aspects of the Wii U? Holy shit.

Well, take the Wii U VC transfer process for what it is. It lets you move all your VC games into U's "Wii mode" at no charge, a process that was very up in the air at the time of original VC purchases... It was clear from the start that the Wii VC purchases made were tied to the WII CONSOLE and not the USER. And people knew that risk. The fact it transferred at all is a bit of a "score."

And you STILL get to play all your games by going into Wii mode. You might have to go into settings for the proper aspect ratio, but hey, it's fully functional. But if you'd like to use the new streaming device, save states, and Miiverse, they charge you $1 or $1.50 per game. Why? Because to be honest, they have to reprogram every fucking game. Is it worth the charge for every game? Maybe not. If not, don't buy the upgrade of that particular game. It isn't an all or nothing proposition.

But do you seriously think that devices like Neo Geo or the Genesis would have a chance in hell of gamepad support without this "pay for update" convention? I'm sure SNK was salivating at the thought of updating all their shit for free when Nintendo called. And that when Sega got the call from Nintendo, asking for 75 free Genesis ROM updates, they were down with that. Cause it's not like the few U owners aren't part of the many former Wii owners that had ALREADY bought all those Sonic roms a few years back... Or just maybe they said "Uh, we can't do those updates unless we hire someone. Or a team. And we can't risk hiring a team unless we charge a minor upgrade fee."

Consider it DLC. Your horse armor, Wii U style. Don't like it? Play in Wii mode. Still works fine.

JazzmanZ

What do they mean by "Yoshi" and "Donkey Kong"?

Yoshi_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg
Classic%20NES%20-%20Donkey%20Kong.jpg

G0523

After losing my Donkey Kong Country VC games with no warning from Nintendo, I'm a little nervous about buying anything digital from them again.

Speaking of which, what's going on with those DKC games? Does anyone think they'll just come back as the GBA versions on VC? That sounds likely IMO.

Eusis

Speaking of which, what's going on with those DKC games? Does anyone think they'll just come back as the GBA versions on VC? That sounds likely IMO.
On the 3DS VC that might be nice. On Wii U VC it'd be one of the stupidest things I can imagine, not unless those games actually added a lot of improvements like the GBA FFs did.
Are we seriously to the point where people don't know that there was a game called Donkey Kong?

(yeah probably... I'm old).
Might just be a vain hope for Donkey Kong Country too. Or so I'd hope.

Honestly, it's hard to justify this, i feel sorry for nintendo fanboys. An emulator that works with the pad, and can load a browser connected to miiverse...

1 dollar per game please. Also we're going to trickle this on per month basis, you might have your old VC games in 3 years.

N64 is too difficult sorry.

Eusis

I'm hoping they just wanted to focus on NES/SNES first and before very long N64 news comes out. Those are the games where it'll feel most worthwhile if they upres. Especially if they upres all the way to 1080p (hell, could that be THE reason we've heard nothing?)

Megatron

*Hugs PC*

Console digital distribution and region locking, lol.

Yeah but.... you can't play almost any of the WiiU games worth.... playing on the PC. That would be like me hugging my Dreamcast which also didn't have to deal with these issues. Neither one of us are going to be playing Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem on the system we just hugged.

Nintendo gonna change super metroid to metroid
count on it, they aint gonna sell it for 30 cents :p

everyone screen cap the shot of super metroid in the video

fuck it, im gonna buy ballon fight now, never played it 0_o

Goody

Super Metroid and Kirby's Adventure are two of the best games I've ever played. I can't believe they'll be 30 cents. Great for anyone who hadn't previously had the chance to play these guys.

Also, I have no problem with paying a buck to update a Wii VC game to a Wii game. That's way better than what I expected and if you don't want to, you can just stick with the old one.

Super Metroid and Kirby's Adventure are two of the best games I've ever played. I can't believe they'll be 30 cents. Great for anyone who hadn't previously had the chance to play these guys.

Also, I have no problem with paying a buck to update a Wii VC game to a Wii game. That's way better than what I expected and if you don't want to, you can just stick with the old one.
Wait all those games will be 30cent???

How'd you loose your DK games?

Yeah they removed them from the eshop, but if you already bought them you can still redownload them, and even transfer them to the Wii U... and even redownload them on the Wii U.

So you shouldn't have lost them.

Go into your download history, you should be fine. Everyone who didn't buy them is screwed though.

You didn't loose (or lose) your Donkey Kong Country games with no warning. Even if you were silly enough to delete them, you can still redownload what's in your history (unless I'm mistaken).

They were stored on my SD card and not the Wii. When you transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U, any game stored on the Wii's internal storage transfers over fine. Anything stored on the SD card has to be erased and downloaded again before they will load. And with the games MIA in the shop, I'm out of luck.

Johnny

Here's what I'd like to see from Nintendo:

1) A proper user account system. Nothing should be tied to specific hardware.

2) No nickel-and-diming of their loyal consumer base. They should use former digital purchases as a means to entice people to invest in their new hardware.

3) Every first party title from the NES to Wii U should be available for purchase, and playable on any device you're signed into, Wii, Wii U or 3DS, barring hardware limitations. I should be able to load up a game of Super Mario 64 on my Wii, suspend it, pick it up again on my Wii U gamepad while in bed, suspend that, then continue on with my 3DS the next morning on the train.

Damn, I'm 100% in on 30 cent Super Metroid and Punch Out. I'm not sure if I want the other ones. Looking at Balloon Fight, I'm not even sure if I like the game all that much.

But on the other hand, the price is pretty much impulse buy material. What to do? =\

Aiii

So not worth it
Damn, I'm 100% in on 30 cent Super Metroid and Punch Out. I'm not sure if I want the other ones. Looking at Balloon Fight, I'm not even sure if I like the game all that much.

But on the other hand, the price is pretty much impulse buy material. What to do? =\

It's 30 cents.

Playing it longer than 5 minutes and you're already at a better playtime/price percentage then most new games nowadays ;)

They were stored on my SD card and not the Wii. When you transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U, any game stored on the Wii's internal storage transfers over fine. Anything stored on the SD card has to be erased and downloaded again before they will load. And with the games MIA in the shop, I'm out of luck.
Have you checked your download history? The games wont appear via the usual search methods but they should still be accessible via your download history.

Jackano

.30€ for Super Metroid is crazy. It's ever more crazier than most of NES VC games for 5€ on Wii VC (but in the opposite direction!). I was waiting for an occasion to play it again, hell, May is too far away!

I bought Balloon Fight. Useless act but couldn't resist to support this low price policy. And that's strange that SNES games are in this NES 30th anniversary.

Lachie007

so let me get this straight. I've got super metroid on wii vc can i upgrade for the 30 cents or will i have to buy it outright again.

Ban Puncher

so let me get this straight. I've got super metroid on wii vc can i upgrade for the 30 cents or will i have to buy it outright again.

If you bought Super Metroid on the Wii VC and transferred it to your Wii U you can pay 30 cents during the monthly promotion or the standard .99c/$1.50 upgrade fee outside of the promotion.

If you have never bought SM before on anything you can get it for 30 cents during the monthly promo or pay the full price ($9?) after that.

Roo

It can be both.
Once this Famicom 30th Anniversary deal is over, all the 30 cents games will be back to their original full price, but if you already have those (in this case, Metroid) you can re-download them with the Gamepad features paying a little difference of $1 or $1.5 (can't remember right now) to upgrade it from a Wii VC to a Wii U VC title

If I were you, I would get it the second is available for 30 cents which is in May

dwu8991

Banned
30 cent Super Metroid! On my GamePad.

OH HELL YEAH.

Nintendo doesn't even know how much I would've paid for a Super Metroid 3D classics remake on the 3DS.

GAFfers better buy Super Metroid for 30 cents... and fill out the Club Nintendo survey after purchase telling Nintendo you want more 2D metroid games

sigh ...

once upon a time this would've been big news with it's own thread

now nobody could care less about super metroid and would rather complain about a new metroid instead

sigh ...

once upon a time this would've been big news with it's own thread

now nobody could care less about super metroid and would rather complain about a new metroid instead

Yes, these older Virtual Console games don't elicit major excitement anymore. Which makes it all the more pathetic the way Nintendo thinks they warrant being doled out over years. As if this is a cow that needs more milking. By the time they get around to releasing most of these games no one is going to care.

Javier

When I transferred from Wii to Wii U, DKC2 was on my SD card. I was able to re-download on the Wii U without an issue.

I love how they're 30c NZ just to keep the 30 celebration thing still despite 30c NZ being less than other counties version of 30-whatever-money.

Its barely anything saving reeeeally, but nice still as I was expecting ours to be like 50c or something lol.

As my GF pointed out though: "I guess they figure it'll even out in the long run with the $40 mark up they add on to the price of every other videogame released here."

:(

What? :) So people will get a chance to buy Super metroid for 30cent? That sounds too good.

I cant believe these games are 30cents, only excited about FZero and Punch Out but ill probably buy them all. So Balloon Fight is available now even though the VC hasnt launched yet? I havent turned on my Wii U in a couple days.

Rocky

Banned
It can be both.
Once this Famicom 30th Anniversary deal is over, all the 30 cents games will be back to their original full price, but if you already have those (in this case, Metroid) you can re-download them with the Gamepad features paying a little difference of $1 or $1.5 (can't remember right now) to upgrade it from a Wii VC to a Wii U VC title

If I were you, I would get it the second is available for 30 cents which is in May

I dunno, the least Nintendo could have done is waive the fee to upgrade if you already have the 30 cent games. I'm not saying its expensive or anything, it just seems like it would have been a nice gesture.

Steph_E.

I dunno, the least Nintendo could have done is waive the fee to upgrade if you already have the 30 cent games. I'm not saying its expensive or anything, it just seems like it would have been a nice gesture.

Is the 30 cent game not the new Wii U fully featured version already?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Playin' Balloon Fight with the controller pro, with the GamePad in its stand on my desk like miniature TV: heaven.

So, if they're already selling Balloon Fight on all the stores, why did Nintendo say the launch of the VC is tied to an upcoming firmware update in the Spring?

Also, is it confirmed that they're just slowly rolling out the games again? They should just do a large dump of them, a la PS1 support on the Vita.

This is the New And Improved Ambassador Program. Instead of 10 free games, for being early supporters we get 7 games for 30 cents each.

Linkhero1

i6xGcbgIMVZR8.gif

You are so optimistic. I envy you.

I'm not saying they will. I'm saying if they decide that 50 Hz isn't good then they are able to release an update. Passing on Super Metroid for 30 cents because 50 Hz is beyond stupid. I'm probably the most pessimistic Nintendo fan around these parts if you've seen my posts prior to the ND :p

So, if they're already selling Balloon Fight on all the stores, why did Nintendo say the launch of the VC is tied to an upcoming firmware update in the Spring?

Also, is it confirmed that they're just slowly rolling out the games again? They should just do a large dump of them, a la PS1 support on the Vita.

I asked myself the exact same question after watching the ND yesterday.

Virtual Console starts after the spring update,......but this game comes out today, and it's a Virtual Console game? Okaaaaay.

Top Bottom