• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

qq more

I asked myself the exact same question after watching the ND yesterday.

Virtual Console starts after the spring update,......but this game comes out today, and it's a Virtual Console game? Okaaaaay.

I think they said this the trial of the Virtual Console... or something. I guess think of it as a beta? ...Then again not sure why they need to do that.

Jacobbles

Pet peeve: It really bugs me how in internationally broadcast Nintendo Directs, they still use vague release windows like Spring and Summer. Can't they just say a date? When the hell is spring? I live in Australia. I don't know when American spring is, but I sure as shit know when "Sometime around April" is.

Is it just an American thing to speak about times of the year in terms of seasons? Am I going loopy? If a coworker asked me when something was releasing and I said "Autumn" they'd look at me as if I were an idiot.

netBuff

I'm not saying they will. I'm saying if they decide that 50 Hz isn't good then they are able to release an update. Passing on Super Metroid for 30 cents because 50 Hz is beyond stupid. I'm probably the most pessimistic Nintendo fan around these parts if you've seen my posts prior to the ND :p

Why is passing on an inferior version of a game you won't play "stupid"? Nintendo has to know 50 Hz versions aren't acceptable, this isn't exactly a new or previously unknown issue. They still decided to release Balloon Fight this way.

There are plenty of emulators for all kinds of devices available, where I can play the proper ROM of the game. If I'm going to spend money on a very old game, I'd like to get a technically competent version.

qq more

Pet peeve: It really bugs me how in internationally broadcast Nintendo Directs, they still use vague release windows like Spring and Summer. Can't they just say a date? When the hell is spring? I live in Australia. I don't know when American spring is, but I sure as shit know when "Sometime around April" is.

Is it just an American thing to speak about times of the year in terms of seasons? Am I going loopy? If a coworker asked me when something was releasing and I said "Autumn" they'd look at me as if I were an idiot.

Spring starts late March in America.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Played Balloon Fight for 5 minutes and I want my 30 cents back. Come on Super Metroid!

Despite the steep discount from the standard $5, many people forget that most early NES games ('84 - '85) that were part of the NES "series" headers are pretty terrible. Balloon fight, clu clu land, urban champion, ice climbers, ect should really be given away free these days. Not even nostalgia saves them.

Linkhero1

Why is passing on an inferior version of a game you won't play "stupid"? Nintendo has to know 50 Hz versions aren't acceptable, this isn't exactly a new or previously unknown issue. They still decided to release Balloon Fight this way.

Because it's 30 cents...

Because it's one of the best games ever created...

What further explanation do you need beyond that? Also, the game might not even be 50 Hz. How will Nintendo know that they aren't acceptable? If you and a couple of people decide to pass on the game because it's 50 Hz and expect Nintendo to notice then you'll be out of luck when the game is back to regular pricing and they fixed the 50 Hz issue (if one does exist with their future VC games). If you have an issue email, tweet, or facebook them.

Jacobbles

Maybe we're getting a separate VC store? Right now it's just sold in the eShop.

It would make zero sense to sell VC games in an app that's not the eShop. Think about it for more than five seconds and I'm sure you'll understand why.

But then with this whole 50hz thing I'm not really sure what the hell Nintendo is doing with regards to VC. All bets are off.

What does the Wii have to do with anything?
Do you not notice people criticising Nintendo's methodology of content management?

It offers value to the customer and (however small) costs money to implement. If I was in Iwata's decision, I would make the same call. You can still play your VC games on the Wii U without charge if those features aren't important to you.
Was the Wii U not built for streaming to game pad? Why is this suddenly a huge issue for them that they have to charge to stream and have the item on the actual main menu intead of hidden in Wii mode? Im sure it cost Sony to implement an emulator but I dont see them charging for their dumps.

also

Banned
What does the Wii have to do with anything?
Yeah, what does their previous home console that offered a similar service have to do with anything?
They released 50Hz games on Wii and they are doing the same with Wii U. Since there were no post release updates for VC games (except SF64) on the Wii, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the same treatment on Wii U.
I'm not saying they will. I'm saying if they decide that 50 Hz isn't good then they are able to release an update. Passing on Super Metroid for 30 cents because 50 Hz is beyond stupid. I'm probably the most pessimistic Nintendo fan around these parts if you've seen my posts prior to the ND :p
And do you not agree that abysmal sales may influence their decisions?
No, supporting shitty standards that are still present for no good reason is what is beyond stupid.

Did you all even watch the Direct? Iwata says that the first few games (released before April) are being released before the full VC launch. So yeah, it's a soft launch, full launch in April.

Linkhero1

Yeah, what does their previous home console that offered a similar service have to do with anything?
They released 50Hz games on Wii and they are doing the same with Wii U. Since there were no post release updates for VC games (except SF64) on the Wii, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the same treatment on Wii U.

And do you not agree that abysmal sales may influence their decisions?
No, supporting shitty standards that are still present for no good reason is what is beyond stupid.
Again, I'm not saying they will do it and it's within a realm of possibility. They have changed the way they handle their online services so comparing it to the Wii doesn't mean it's impossible.

I can guarantee you that they're not going to experience abysmal sales so you're gonna be SOL. The best way to let them know is through communication, not by being passive. I don't support shitty standards but I do support great games. I guess 50 Hz has never bothered me as much.

Well, take the Wii U VC transfer process for what it is. It lets you move all your VC games into U's "Wii mode" at no charge, a process that was very up in the air at the time of original VC purchases... It was clear from the start that the Wii VC purchases made were tied to the WII CONSOLE and not the USER. And people knew that risk. The fact it transferred at all is a bit of a "score."

And you STILL get to play all your games by going into Wii mode. You might have to go into settings for the proper aspect ratio, but hey, it's fully functional. But if you'd like to use the new streaming device, save states, and Miiverse, they charge you $1 or $1.50 per game. Why? Because to be honest, they have to reprogram every fucking game. Is it worth the charge for every game? Maybe not. If not, don't buy the upgrade of that particular game. It isn't an all or nothing proposition.

But do you seriously think that devices like Neo Geo or the Genesis would have a chance in hell of gamepad support without this "pay for update" convention? I'm sure SNK was salivating at the thought of updating all their shit for free when Nintendo called. And that when Sega got the call from Nintendo, asking for 75 free Genesis ROM updates, they were down with that. Cause it's not like the few U owners aren't part of the many former Wii owners that had ALREADY bought all those Sonic roms a few years back... Or just maybe they said "Uh, we can't do those updates unless we hire someone. Or a team. And we can't risk hiring a team unless we charge a minor upgrade fee."

Consider it DLC. Your horse armor, Wii U style. Don't like it? Play in Wii mode. Still works fine.

Sorry, no, charging to use the basic features of the Wii U is fucking stupid no amount of excuse theyu make will make it okay. Why didnt they make an emulator? Why are they "reprograming" each game individually? Thats insane. What reprogramming do they need to do to stream to the pad when thats what device is built to do and where every single developer has said its so easy?

Since youre bringing up SNK and stuff, do you expect all of the titles to be out when the VC launches for real? That would be convenient.

Okay, fine, lets say this is really complicated for them, you maybe fine with them charging for "features" when the competition doesnt, but let me ask you this, if the fee is so insignificant, why didnt they just take the hit instead of putting it on us?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
A dollar EACH GAME? The fuck? And they've even INCREASED the price of NES and SNES games for WiiU? If it was a dollar to "convert" all of my purchases I would pay begrudgingly but this... I don't even have that many, probably bought 15 VC titles total. I'll just not buy anything new or old. Hopefully you'll do the same and Iwata gets the point.

amaron11

Banned
Okay, fine, lets say this is really complicated for them, you maybe fine with them charging for "features" when the competition doesnt, but let me ask you this, if the fee is so insignificant, why didnt they just take the hit instead of putting it on us?

Because that's not the type of company Nintendo is.

catabarez

A dollar EACH GAME? The fuck? And they've even INCREASED the price of NES and SNES games for WiiU? If it was a dollar to "convert" all of my purchases I would pay begrudgingly but this... I don't even have that many, probably bought 15 VC titles total. I'll just not buy anything new or old. Hopefully you'll do the same and Iwata gets the point.

Increased? What are the prices?

evanmisha

So, wait... are these rentals or not? Watching the ND again, Iwata makes it pretty clear they are, but the fine print on the campaign website could be interpreted either way, and the actual purchase itself gives no hints whatsoever. Also, Trial Campaign. If it's just a way to try out the VC service on the whole, why is it going through past March when the VC launches?

I'm actually thinking they're rentals and in a month there's gonna be an avalanche of angry posts from people losing their 30 cent Balloon Fight.

superbank

Increased? What are the prices?

It was $5 for NES and $8 for SNES on Wii. During the Wii days people could already make the case for that being too much for old ROMs. Now they've added the "WiiU development tax" and it's $6 and $9 or something like that.

also

Banned
Again, I'm not saying they will do it and it's within a realm of possibility. They have changed the way they handle their online services so comparing it to the Wii doesn't mean it's impossible.

I can guarantee you that they're not going to experience abysmal sales so you're gonna be SOL. The best way to let them know is through communication, not by being passive. I don't support shitty standards but I do support great games. I guess 50 Hz has never bothered me as much.
PAL VC's problems don't lie with their online services so I do not see how this is relevant.

I already contacted them in any way I could and voiced my complaints. What I certainly won't do is give them money for inferior versions and hope they release a fix.

Dave Long

Banned
As the cartridges age, it's somewhat understandable that Nintendo will start selling these game for more digitally. You simply can't easily get some stuff now without paying an eBay tax on it, which ultimately is a lot more than the $6 or $9 you'll pay on Virtual Console.

Perspective... it's good to have it.

evanmisha

It was $5 for NES and $8 for SNES on Wii. During the Wii days people could already make the case for that being too much for old ROMs. Now they've added the "WiiU development tax" and it's $6 and $9 or something like that.

They all retain their price. Certain games were actually more expensive by a dollar or so. Go back to the Shop Channel and see for yourself.

superbank

They all retain their price. Certain games were actually more expensive by a dollar or so. Go back to the Shop Channel and see for yourself.

I see, you're right. In the ND they listed the lower price as well. Those were the Japanese titles that cost more. My point still stands on the "reduced price" being too high. I believe Nintendo stands to make more by not charging us for content we've already purchased. Showing some good will towards customers will result in further purchases.

RedSwirl

So are people already playing Balloon Fight on upgraded VC? If so, does it let you play the game with borders? I know some publications are already messing around with it, but who should I ask?

Linkhero1

PAL VC's problems don't lie with their online services so I do not see how this is relevant.

I already contacted them in any way I could and voiced my complaints. What I certainly won't do is give them money for inferior versions and hope they release a fix.

It's relevant because you said they won't release updates based off their past history of not releasing any updates to their VC games on the Wii to which I said that it's possible considering they are trying to change their approach to online gaming and content releasing.

That's good of you to contact them, but unless it's voiced by many people nothing will change. I guess you value your 30 cents way too much to give to Nintendo for a great game. I'll gladly give them my money and voice my opinion through both the conventional email as well as club nintendo since they actually read that. ;)

Mileena

Banned
Despite the steep discount from the standard $5, many people forget that most early NES games ('84 - '85) that were part of the NES "series" headers are pretty terrible. Balloon fight, clu clu land, urban champion, ice climbers, ect should really be given away free these days. Not even nostalgia saves them.
I agree with you, friend. I only got it cuz it was 30 cents but I'm done with NES games. Now if only we got more than one game a month!

RedSwirl

Sorry, no, charging to use the basic features of the Wii U is fucking stupid no amount of excuse theyu make will make it okay. Why didnt they make an emulator? Why are they "reprograming" each game individually? Thats insane. What reprogramming do they need to do to stream to the pad when thats what device is built to do and where every single developer has said its so easy?

Since youre bringing up SNK and stuff, do you expect all of the titles to be out when the VC launches for real? That would be convenient.

Apparently emulating each game individually results in more accurate emulation, and using one large emulator for each platform of games isn't up to Nintendo's standards. They seem to be anal about that.

Pociask

As the cartridges age, it's somewhat understandable that Nintendo will start selling these game for more digitally. You simply can't easily get some stuff now without paying an eBay tax on it, which ultimately is a lot more than the $6 or $9 you'll pay on Virtual Console.

Perspective... it's good to have it.

What does a digital ROM file have to do with the cartridges that Nintendo mass produced decades ago?

I am not paying Nintendo for the privilege of playing a limited availability game on its original hardware. I pay Nintendo to play their classic old games, for example, Super Mario Bros 3, which I had on the original NES. Since then, Nintendo released ports of SMB3 on the SNES (All Stars) and the GBA (Super Mario Advance 4). They also released it on the Virtual Console for Wii. They also released All Stars, again, for the Wii. I may be forgetting one, but it's a title that's already been released 5 times.

SMB3 is one of the greatest games of all time. So, points for value. On the other hand, it originally released in 1988, and Nintendo has already made tons and tons and tons of money off of it. Selling it on VC costs them a few pennies of server space. Everyone knows that it's almost pure profit to sell that game, again. So what's a fair price? You know, this is one where I think 5 bucks would be alright, but I'd understand if some folks think anything more than a dollar is a rip-off. And what about something like Urban Champion? Heck, even Nintendo didn't used to think these games were worth too much - look at how many free NES games Animal Crossing came with!

Kokonoe

Banned
Is there any way to play games in 1:1 mode like the 3DS? Haven't found a way for Balloon Fight yet on the Game Pad.

also

Banned
Is there any way to play games in 1:1 mode like the 3DS? Haven't found a way for Balloon Fight yet on the Game Pad.
I would like to know this too. Could you check the e-manual if there's any mention of VC specific features? Maybe you have to press a specific button combination at start-up or something.

GulAtiCa

No it's still $5 and $8 for each. It's just some cost an $1 more if it's a import game. Same as it was on the Wii.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Might end up rebuying SMB3 because GOAT and all, but it's pretty sad that I'll be able to buy Super Metroid for cheaper in May than it would cost to upgrade it. I wonder if they'll have sales on VC stuff this time around.

RedSwirl

Well shit. I was planning to buy SMB3 on Virtual Console pretty soon here, but now I'm wondering if I should just wait (I don't own a Wii U yet).

Anyway, what if paying this fee allowed you to play N64 games in 1080p? Actually, how does Balloon Fight even look resolution-wise?

Kevtones

What if Nintendo did a GamePad arcade model? Every time you want to play on the GamePad it costs $0.05?

Also, probably been said but for those that buy the prepaid cards, the $0.30 games are a nice way to get rid of those pesky pennies that stay on your account.

Silly to be talking about $0.05 but I only paid $0.25 for Balloon Fight because of prior purchases.

Kokonoe

Banned
I would like to know this too. Could you check the e-manual if there's any mention of VC specific features? Maybe you have to press a specific button combination at start-up or something.

I just looked in the manual and didn't see anything about it, I guess it doesn't have it sadly.

I want to know who in their right mind thought that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii entitled them to own the game in perpetuity and gave them the right the transfer it to any new console from Nintendo for the history of ever for free.

I mean, really? Really? You thought that? I know Sony is allowing whichever PSOne games they deem worthy to be played on the Vita if you bought it on PS3/PSP but I think Sony's position with the Vita is a bit *unique* given that there aren't many good games out and there are even fewer on the horizon.

Of course I'd love for moving a VC game from Wii to Wii U to be free, but to be sad/mad/pissy about paying a dollar to transfer? Nah.

netBuff

What if Nintendo did a GamePad arcade model? Every time you want to play on the GamePad it costs $0.05?

And they could call it "Game Room"!

still discriminated based on your location regarding the selection of roms you can buy?

It's easy to buy NTSC versions of PSN classics (pre-paid cards are readily available on the internet), I really don't understand why everything related to online-services has to be so tedious with Nintendo.

Noi

I want to know who in their right mind thought that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii entitled them to own the game in perpetuity and gave them the right the transfer it to any new console from Nintendo for the history of ever for free.

I mean, really? Really? You thought that? I know Sony is allowing whichever PSOne games they deem worthy to be played on the Vita if you bought it on PS3/PSP but I think Sony's position with the Vita is a bit *unique* given that there aren't many good games out and there are even fewer on the horizon.

Of course I'd love for moving a VC game from Wii to Wii U to be free, but to be sad/mad/pissy about paying a dollar to transfer? Nah.

It's called having a unified shop and account system and not the segregated mess that Nintendo has. PSN, iOS and Android have done it fine for years.

CDX

So, wait... are these rentals or not? Watching the ND again, Iwata makes it pretty clear they are, but the fine print on the campaign website could be interpreted either way, and the actual purchase itself gives no hints whatsoever. Also, Trial Campaign. If it's just a way to try out the VC service on the whole, why is it going through past March when the VC launches?

I'm actually thinking they're rentals and in a month there's gonna be an avalanche of angry posts from people losing their 30 cent Balloon Fight.

This doesn't read like a "trial" or rental to me.

It seems, it's basically a 30 day sale price.

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/downloads/virtual-console/

After specified promotional period, each game will be made available in the Nintendo eShop at regular price. Wii U owners who have purchased the game(s) during the promotional period will not need to purchase the game(s) again at the regular price. Games purchased during this promotional period are eligible for 2 points in the Deluxe Digital Program. Point value subject to change.

JAN - Balloon Fight 30¢
gRiLJeW.png

FEB - F-Zero 30¢
uo8nheW.png

MAR - Punch Out! Featuring Mr Dream 30¢
3AViKDF.png

APR - Kirby's Adventure 30¢
t86TfCv.png

MAY - Super Metroid 30¢
j1GaATz.png

JUN - Yoshi 30¢
u8PhmWC.png

JUL - Donkey Kong 30¢
7oDyNaH.png

30¢ Super Metroid! Everybody buy it!

People used to a decent digital distribution service, I know, hard to imagine. Sony's stance is that you can play those on any of the three devices. Before that it was two, its not some new stance theyve taken. Because Nintendo's position is so much more different right now. I mean look at all those Wii U games out right now, the next quarters look amazing!

optimiss

You really want to play postage stamp sized NES game at 256x240 with 2 foot black bars on all sides? Or do you just mean upscale it by an exact multiple without filtering?

Top Bottom