• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

Johnny

Everyone holding up Sony as the bastion of BC is giving me a good laugh. The company that actually REMOVED BC from their console would never nickel and dime you?

Okay.

At least Nintendo has implemented fully functional BC for hardware (portable and home) for two generations.

Oh and how are your UMDs working on your Vita?
Nintendo removed backwards compatibility from the Wii as well, and their DS line with the DSi. UMDs were also horrible from the start, so while I would love to play all of my PSP games on the Vita without purchasing them again, I wouldn't want the hardware compromised to do so. Having said all that, Sony still has a better track record when it comes to their digital titles, and not charging customers for added features.

And the expectation of a free upgrade is like expecting a free Blu-Ray disc cuz you bought the DVD.
We're not dealing with physical media here and the higher costs associated with that kind of scenario. It would be more akin to downloading a movie off of iTunes, and then having a commentary track or something added on later, a nice little bonus that costs very little to implement. Nintendo's stance dictates that anyone who purchased the movie before the upgrade should now have to pay a nominal fee in order to access said upgrade, paying more than new customers for the same product. Not an uncommon practice, prices are often lowered or features added to products in order to encourage future purchases. But we're dealing with digital media here, so the costs are negligible, and Nintendo's main competition has already set a precedent with this sort of thing. It's just going to hurt customer loyalty in the end, all for a petty cash grab.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
While I'd prefer free upgrades, I can live without them -- but I would vastly prefer a "flat upgrade fee" for heavy users of the VC service.

(I have at least 100 VC downloads, I believe...)

No one's demanding free VC games, these games have already been purchased. People are asking for free upgrades to their already purchased software that take advantage of the new hardware they've purchased. Like Sony has done with PS1 titles.

Oh, which PS1 games take advantage of the Vita's touch screens?

RedSwirl

Wait. If Nintendo is now willing to port all the VC games over to run natively on the Wii U, what's stopping them from bringing the library onto the 3DS the same way? I guess just the fact that it's a whole other hardware platform.

Earthbound bitching is all over the Balloon Fight Miiverse, which is also getting a lot of general VC conversation and Nintendo Direct talk.

I guess that's one advantage of MiiVerse -- directly contact with the developer/manufacturer through the console itself. Do we have any evidence that actual developers are interacting with the MiiVerse populations of their games?

Eusis

You can map buttons to the touch screen and right stick.
So, amazingly, all of them!

I have to admit my stance is mainly "whatever it's just a buck or two" while recognizing this must've been a negligible cost for them. Still, better than fully rebuying, especially if they actually make the account system what it should.

Terrell

We're not dealing with physical media here and the higher costs associated with that kind of scenario. It would be more akin to downloading a movie off of iTunes, and then having a commentary track or something added on later, a nice little bonus that costs very little to implement. Nintendo's stance dictates that anyone who purchased the movie before the upgrade should now have to pay a nominal fee in order to access said upgrade, paying more than new customers for the same product. Not an uncommon practice, prices are often lowered or features added to products in order to encourage future purchases. But we're dealing with digital media here, so the costs are negligible, and Nintendo's main competition has already set a precedent with this sort of thing. It's just going to hurt customer loyalty in the end, all for a petty cash grab.

Or, closer to reality, having to pay a fee for the same video/song again if you wanted a resolution/bitrate bump. Which, y'know, you actually DO.

When trying to use examples of not paying for upgrades, iTunes is NOT the example to use. I avoided using it to prevent the "LOL Apple" trolling/derail, but now I don't have to. Using the example basically

But the fundamental flaw here is the assumption that it's super easy to make this happen, when there's no evidence one way or the other.

The only "precedent" Sony is setting is not charging you for emulation that has a history of compatibility problems on ALL platforms because it is pretty much an ISO dump with (usually) zero tweaks on a game-by-game basis. The day that it's near-flawless like VC titles are, THEN we can compare that shit to Nintendo's work. Until then, sorry, NO.

Ive never heard of this history of emulation problems. The only game that has had problems that I remember is the original Silent Hill and that was fixed as far as I can recall.

Terrell

Ive never heard of this history of emulation problems. The only game that has had problems that I remember is the original Silent Hill and that was fixed as far as I can recall.

There's at least one thread documenting it. Not even 20 posts in and 3 reported severe glitches (audio de-sync with games, for example). Confirmed as discussed across multiple GAF threads by then-user-now-mod Aeana.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488868

A quick Google search nets a whole bunch of others.

Most of the VC glitches you read about online are glitches that are actually faithful to glitches found in the original games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Lucky I didn't go balls to the wall like others did - the fact that there was no account system in place should have set the alarm bells ringing. The whole thing stinks though.

There's at least one thread documenting it. Not even 20 posts in and 3 reported severe glitches (audio de-sync with games, for example). Confirmed as discussed across multiple GAF threads by then-user-now-mod Aeana.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488868

A quick Google search nets a whole bunch of others.

Most of the VC glitches you read about online are glitches that are actually faithful to glitches found in the original games.
Severe is not what I would consider an audio glitch. At least that person is not making it seem severe. Seems like Hot Shots Golf is an issue. I was expecting more hardlocking or something gamebreaking. Most of the rest of that thread seems fine and thats with Sony's insane idea of emulating an emulator for the Vita which isnt what I was thinking of, I thought we were talking about PS3.

I dont know, I would rather play most of my already bought games with new features free of charge instead of having to wait for Nintendo and their "perfect emulation" and pay for it.

Terrell

Severe is not what I would consider an audio glitch. At least that person is not making it seem severe. Seems like Hot Shots Golf is an issue. I was expecting more hardlocking or something gamebreaking. Most of the rest of that thread seems fine and thats with Sony's insane idea of emulating an emulator for the Vita which isnt what I was thinking of, I thought we were talking about PS3.

I dont know, I would rather play most of my already bought games with new features free of charge instead of having to wait for Nintendo and their "perfect emulation" and pay for it.

A persistent audio problem would seriously get on my tits and make me stop playing a game, so I would consider that severe. Ahh well.

It was not as prevalent with PS3 as it is with Vita, but moreso than we will ever see from VC.

That's definitely a valid personal choice to not pay the upgrade, I can't fault you for it. I only took issue with people bitching that it's "just a ROM dump" or that Gamepad support is super-simple or that Sony offers the exact same upgrade path using the same methods problem-free and free of charge, since it was/is being used as a means to justify calling out Nintendo for nickel-and-diming when the evidence available doesn't sync up to the claims.

At the end of the day, I spend more on a Coca-Cola, so it's tough for me to give a shit.
And I didn't buy that many VC games in the first place since I only bought them as I felt the urge to replay them. Had they gone a little stronger on the VC Arcade lineup, I might have bought more.

I'm not jumping to that conclusion directly. It could be that Wii owners on GAF see this as a deterrent to buy a U, and current U owners have just accepted it?

But, for example, that 50hz PAL thing is an explosive topic on Miiverse. The upgrade fee isn't. It is odd, since I typically use GAF as a barometer.

Honestly, the upgrade fee and the lack of titles yet available for screen play is a pretty big deterrent. And so is the lack of gamecube controller ports unless I pay for access to the pro controllers. And the N64 games haven't even been mentioned.

I was ready to jump in sooner but I'm gonna wait for more heavy hitters to come out and see how good they turn out before I decide to buy.

Terrell

Damn. I hope they release a save data transfer tool. Without the saves, there's not really a point to upgrade most of these games!

Didn't seem to bother anyone that they couldn't transfer their SNES cartridge saves to VC. Just sayin'.

Since this is a "trial" as they're putting it, is there still time to provide input? I have the tiniest nitpick with the current VC setup: the splash screen.

So far, I've enjoyed splash screens when I launch my games. If used effectively, I don't miss boxart when I buy digitally in the slightest. However, this is what we're currently greeted with when we launch a VC title:

i5JavdC3aQah3.JPG

It was uninspired during the Wii era and it's equally uninspired now.

I mean, how hard would it be to throw up a splash screen with some of the original artwork or cover art from the game itself? The incredibly crude mockup is more akin to what I'm talking about:

(when I said crude, I wasn't lying, folks)

But the point is made... this looks leaps and bounds more appealing (if done more professionally, anyways) than a tiny screenshot of the game's logo screen.

Thoughts?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Didn't seem to bother anyone that they couldn't transfer their SNES cartridge saves to VC. Just sayin'.

Since this is a "trial" as they're putting it, is there still time to provide input? I have the tiniest nitpick with the current VC setup: the splash screen.

So far, I've enjoyed splash screens when I launch my games. If used effectively, I don't miss boxart when I buy digitally in the slightest. However, this is what we're currently greeted with when we launch a VC title:

It was uninspired during the Wii era and it's equally uninspired now.

I mean, how hard would it be to throw up a splash screen with some of the original artwork or cover art from the game itself? The incredibly crude mockup is more akin to what I'm talking about:

(when I said crude, I wasn't lying, folks)

But the point is made... this looks leaps and bounds more appealing (if done more professionally, anyways) than a tiny screenshot of the game's logo screen.

Thoughts?

Yes, that would be a great step. But no, I don't expect Nintendo to put forth the effort to make the splash screens more appealing.

Separate from the Wii U, but regarding nice 'could be' touches to the UI; I wish the 3DS folders had system icons. Folders are incredibly ugly and being able to toss all my GBA games in a folder with a GBA system icon, or my NES games in an NES folder, would be lovely. Instead I have a bunch of ugly blue folders with a nice letter on each one.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Disagree. When scrolling through a large list of games quickly, a shot of the title screen would be more useful than an out-of-game piece of artwork because you could more quickly discern exactly what game it is from the former. Function trumps design.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I agree with 645 but part of me says that boxart would be a good compromise. Art + game name/logo = function and form.

Disagree. When scrolling through a large list of games quickly, a shot of the title screen would be more useful than an out-of-game piece of artwork because you could more quickly discern exactly what game it is from the former. Function trumps design.

He's talking about the loading screen as you boot the game. No large lists involved with that.

netBuff

Even if the poster weren't talking about the loading screen art: Regarding game icons in the Wii U launcher I think the game's title art (logo) would be much more useful than a screenshot of the title screen. Title screens for NES games tend to look pretty similar, especially at postage stamp size.

sakipon

Even if the poster weren't talking about the loading screen art: Regarding game icons in the Wii U launcher I think the game's title art (logo) would be much more useful than a screenshot of the title screen. Title screens for NES games tend to look pretty similar, especially at postage stamp size.

I agree with this. I suppose the classic title screen is what people have seen a lot and remember well, but when tiled next to each other they do tend to look similar.

Richie

Not officially. I'm thinking no just because Wii mode data is pretty much sandboxed.

And yet, by paying to upgrade, the games you've got on Wii Mode would appear on Wii U's main menu, would they not? If they can drag your previous purchases from Wii Mode into Wii U's menu, surely they can also make save states carry over?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And yet, by paying to upgrade, the games you've got on Wii Mode would appear on Wii U's main menu, would they not? If they can drag your previous purchases from Wii Mode into Wii U's menu, surely they can also make save states carry over?

Not really. They know your purchase history via the Wii Shop Channel. That's what they're using when they let you upgrade, not the actual games themselves.

keenest

The Balloon Fight screen in the eShop did not help me much, so I went to youtube to look up some gameplay footage of the game instead.

Not officially. I'm thinking no just because Wii mode data is pretty much sandboxed.
Wii U software can grab stuff out. Importing of Miis from the Wii mode comes to mind.
Andrex said:
Not really. They know your purchase history via the Wii Shop Channel. That's what they're using when they let you upgrade, not the actual games themselves.
That would be nice, but their press site does specifically say "People who have already purchased the Wii version of a certain NES or Super NES Virtual Console game and transferred it to their Wii U console can buy the enhanced Wii U version of the same game for the reduced price of $1 for NES games and $1.50 for Super NES games." (bolding mine)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That would be nice, but their press site does specifically say "People who have already purchased the Wii version of a certain NES or Super NES Virtual Console game and transferred it to their Wii U console can buy the enhanced Wii U version of the same game for the reduced price of $1 for NES games and $1.50 for Super NES games." (bolding mine)

The list of purchases from the Wii Shop is included in the transfer.

The Miis is a good point though.

btkadams

they added features specific to the console. Would be great if it were done for free, but it wasn't. The games are still 100% free to transfer and play on your wiiu in wii mode.

the vita adds a bunch of features to the ps1 emulator not found in previous versions for FREE. i'm sorry, but i am never going to think it's ok for nintendo to do this when their competitor doesn't. i'm going to bite the bullet and pay the charges since they most definitely won't change their minds, but i think we all have a right to be pissed off.

also, more on topic with what is being said now, they should definitely use the title art rather than a snapshot of the title screen.

Terrell

the vita adds a bunch of features to the ps1 emulator not found in previous versions for FREE. i'm sorry, but i am never going to think it's ok for nintendo to do this when their competitor doesn't. i'm going to bite the bullet and pay the charges since they most definitely won't change their minds, but i think we all have a right to be pissed off.

also, more on topic with what is being said now, they should definitely use the title art rather than a snapshot of the title screen.

Considering you have to buy overpriced propriety memory just to be able to download the damn emulators on a Vita, it kinda all comes out in the wash, really.

Futureman

Skipped out on Wii... Probably a few SNES games I'll pick up on VC. Super Metroid is one of the last few older, great Nintendo games I haven't beat, so I'll enjoy playing that on the gamepad for my first time.

I'll get Majoras Mask if they bring N64.

btrboyev

It's sort of depressing that they need to start all the way over for the VC. All of those games from non-Nintendo hardware will probably not be released again.

It bothers me that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to find a way to update Wii VC games to work with Wii U natively.

Fox Mulder

That's an absurd expectation. However, buying a VC game in Wii mode and then being able to upgrade to a WiiU version later is pretty much the same rom on the same hardware.

Jacobbles

So when the VC launches in spring, and it only launches with NES and SNES stuff- will it be the entire catalogue of that stuff? Or will we get like six games and have to wait for the trickle?

I own three SNES games on Wii VC: Chrono Trigger, FF2/4 and FF3/6. I desperately want them on Wii U VC but I get the feeling I'll have to wait :/

Mazzo

It was a good opportunity for Nintendo to repay costumer fidelity by not forcing them to repurchase the games they like. I'll buy zero VC games.

Drago

I wonder if they'll eventually bring the Donkey Kong Country games back to the VC. I still find it odd they were de-listed in the first place.
This is what I'm hoping for. Still need 2 abd 3.

Fuck you NoA for not giving a warning of their delisting when NoE did (not to mention NoA took them down a week earlier)

I wonder if they'll eventually bring the Donkey Kong Country games back to the VC. I still find it odd they were de-listed in the first place.

I'd wanna bring over my Wii VC to the Wii U, but really I need to know how big the library is going to be at the beginning and if DKC comes back first...

Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console gives me the image they have a couple unpaid interns preparing these roms as a side project and telling them to just release them whenever.

Edit: So glad I bought DKC2 while it was available.

Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console gives me the image they have a couple interns preparing these roms as a side project and telling them to just release them whenever.

Edit: So glad I bought DKC2 while it was available.

It's always much more difficult than meets the eye. There's bunches of red tape that surround all of this.

Top Bottom