• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm at a loss for words

It's simply beyond my comprehension how a company that is probably the best when it comes to actual games really lacks the skill to create even average services and functions - I mean my god, I say this even though I'm not religious but that stuff wants to make me believe in something

What's their plan for next gen? Starting over again? With less start titles? I.. WHY I mean IÄll probably get SMW for the 10000th fucking time but still ARGHHHH

And Balloon Fight, because they always put Balloon Fight everywhere.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Cause we are apparently always hungry for more games and Nintendo just can't keep up with demand be it AAA titles or in this case, VC titles!

The only way to address Reggie would be to keep talking about hunger and food: if you ask for a three courses meal at a restaurant and the waiter delivers a single great looking cracker, you might be rightfully demanding more ya know?

JazzmanZ

Well I for one ain't angry at the lineup because I already have these damn games, dunno what anyone really expected new-wise since most of the games are already on the Wii VC.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo seems hell bent on having terrible games like Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, and Excite Bike be what people associate with their name and their historical importance. Yoshi's Island? Chrono Trigger? FF6? DKC? Maybe by 2015.

Well I for one ain't angry at the lineup because I already have these damn games, dunno what anyone really expected new-wise since most of the games are already on the Wii VC.

I don't think anyone was expecting much new-wise, they were just expecting more. Since, as you said, most games are already on the Wii VC.

ryan13ts

Nintendo has been running Virtual Console into the groud for quite a while now, so I'm not surprised by this in the least. VC started out pretty promising on Wii, but ever since it's expanded out to other consoles, it's just gotten laughably bad in selections and releases. It seriously baffles me that they would put out such a measly amount of titles out to start, not to mention ones that have alread been rehashed out to us already. If their going to throw titles at us that is already on Wii VC, they might as well release a TON of games to start instead of those pathetic few.

And don't even start me on the 3DS VC, whoever is handling VC on that end should be fired on the spot. Most of the titles put out are shitty GB games no one cared about even back in 1990, much less 2013 and it doesn't look like it's going to be improving anytime soon. Such a tragedy considering the wonderful potential that's there, like having GBC, GBA, and other handheld classics on the go. Instead, we're getting gems like Catrap and Tumblepop, if we get anything at all.

Most of the blame really should go to Nintendo of America, NOJ is doing way better with releases than NOA. I almost get the feeling the NOA doesn't even give a shit about VC anymore and instead of putting any real effort into it, is just crapping out an occassional rehashed or shitty game, (with a rare good one in there) in the hopes to shut people up.

The whole thought of how much VC has gone down the drain just pisses me off.

Toki767

I don't think they tried very hard with this list. Then again it is Nintendo of America. I'm sure at least Japan's VC output will be fine in the next few months.

krumble

2013 - the year of Luigi
Many Nintendo directs already focused on this
Luigis mansion 2 just released
New super Luigi U coming up
Etc etc
Build a marketing theme, spend money on it...

Why the fuck is the original Luigis mansion NOT one of the first GameCube VC releases on WiiU???

Ludicrous, this is the one point in time after the success of the 3DS version they should cash in....

There should be 1 x N64 game
1 x GameCube
Game on that list to make it acceptable!!!

DoubleTap

Disappointing list. I understand trickling but mix up them up for cripessake. Mix the A,B, and C tier titles. Sell them as bundles for cheaper than individual prices. Just something to entice people into buying the unpopular titles.

entremet

Doesn't Nintendo see what Apple does? They could be making tons of money on VC shit alone.

They don't understand the long tail.

JazzmanZ

2013 - the year of Luigi
Etc etc

Why the fuck is the original Luigis mansion NOT one of the first GameCube VC releases on WiiU???

Ludicrous, this is the one point in time after the success of the 3DS version they should cash in....

1 x GameCube

Maybe because they haven't said gamecube games are coming yet???

Thomper

2013 - the year of Luigi
Etc etc

1 x GameCube
Because emulating a GameCube-game on a Wii U is pretty hard? The Wii U is a lot more powerful than the GameCube, but Nintendo likes games to be emulated practically perfect and that's still awful hard to do for something as new as a GameCube.

They don't understand the long tail.
And that's precisely why Nintendo is experiencing losses for the first time in history.

Because emulating a GameCube-game on a Wii U is pretty hard? The Wii U is a lot more powerful than the GameCube, but Nintendo likes games to be emulated practically perfect and that's still awful hard to do for something as new as a GameCube.
PS2 games are downloadable on the PS3. I swear, some of you people will make excuses for anything.

Mileena

Banned
Nintendo seems hell bent on having terrible games like Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, and Excite Bike be what people associate with their name and their historical importance. Yoshi's Island? Chrono Trigger? FF6? DKC? Maybe by 2015.
Seriously. No one is game starved enough to buy Ice Climbers, just release good stuff and we'll buy it.

-PXG-

Nintendo has the best library of games in the history of video games. We live in an age where they can easily and quickly distribute their games with a fair and affordable model. But what do they do? What do they do?.....

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

As long as people keep defending them and (more importantly) keep forking money over to Nintendo Iwata and his regime will continue business as usual. After all why break what works?

2013 - the year of Luigi
Etc etc

I hear what you're saying, Nintendo will deliver the classic Luigi focused title Mario is Missing on the VC next week month.

Maybe we could get some Mario's Time Machine as well.

Def Jukie

How do you just hold a Nintendo Direct where you announce sequels to LTTP and Yoshi's Island and not have the originals available at the VC launch? Announce the 3DS games and then advertise that you can play the original games on the WiiU. Strike while the iron is hot right off the heels of the announcement of the new games. It seems so obvious to me.

Or have 30 titles available for launch for the Famicom 30th anniversary. Instead we get a handful of games that you could play for free in Animal Crossing. Come on Nintendo, put some effort into this.

JazzmanZ

As long as people keep defending them and (more importantly) keep forking money over to Nintendo Iwata and his regime will continue business as usual. After all why break what works?

What exactly makes you think Nintendo is purposely trickling these titles just for the sake of trickling? Do you work for Nintendo? Do you know the process and ins-and-outs of how the VC titles are released?

serplux

It looks like the Japanese are getting:

1. Ice Climber
2. Excitebike
3. Xevious
4. River City Ransom
5. Balloon Fight
6. Spelunker
7. Kirby's Adventure
8. Super Mario World
9. Mario's Super Picross
10. F-Zero
11. Fire Emblem: Monshō no Nazo
12. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
13. EarthBound

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh man. Do they really consider this a launch worthy and acceptable line up? Why is 'horribly average' good enough for all their services these days. So much wasted potential.

mark-cuban.jpg

Deband

Can't say I care. It would take a minor miracle for Nintendo to release anything worth £5 on the vc. I'd be happy if they would prove me wrong but the prices on the eshop are a joke so I know they won't.

Mileena

Banned
What exactly makes you think Nintendo is purposely trickling these titles just for the sake of trickling? Do you work for Nintendo? Do you know the process and ins-and-outs of how the VC titles are released?
Because they're Nintendo. Literally no other company is this inept when it comes to internet.

Keyouta

lol what is nintendo doing, they sure are trying their best to make sure there's not any good reasons to buy a Wii U

NotLiquid

It looks like the Japanese are getting:

1. Ice Climber
2. Excitebike
3. Xevious
4. River City Rampage
5. Balloon Fight
6. Spelunker
7. Super Mario World
8. Mario's Super Picross
9. F-Zero
10. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
11. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
12. EarthBound

Why ain't I surprised that they're getting a substantially better deal?

I wonder if Europe's line-up is same as America's. I'd love to get more than just Super Mario World on first day.

Ridley327

Why ain't I surprised that they're getting a substantially better deal?

I wonder if Europe's line-up is same as America's. I'd love to get more than just Super Mario World on first day.

There's even third party games, too.

NoA's contempt for fans of Nintendo truly knows no boundaries.

Do you honestly believe it's taken them six months to add GamePad support to Donkey Kong Jr.? Don't forget that the Wii Virtual Console was available on day one. This is by far the worst console launch in Nintendo history.

Davey Cakes

Considering how small the Wii U install base is, it wouldn't be that hard for everyone to "vote with their dollar" and not buy these games.

If everyone buys Super Mario World and nothing else, maybe it'll give Nintendo the right idea.

I'm actually going to do that myself, considering that it'll be an upgrade from my Wii VC version.

I don't know what's going through Nintendo's head. Maybe they feel like "you have to start somewhere" and this list merely makes for a nice base of games. But honestly, other than Earthbound's announcement, the Wii U VC prospects are mostly uninteresting.

Does anybody truly want games like Ice Climber, again? Nothing against Ice Climber, which is a competent game, but it's not something that's very enticing in terms of a service launch. I'm sure there are some people who like it and would enjoy playing on Wii U and participating in the Miiverse community, but there's no urgency there. Ice Climber is such a safe, boring release that it could most assuredly wait little while in place of something a bit more enticing. And I pick on this game because it's one that isn't part of the 30 cent promotion.

The 30 cent promotion games being there is problematic on its own. They should have held off on those titles, considering that we just got them for 30 cents.

The Wii VC as it currently stands is a wonderful catalog of classic games. It's still incomplete, but it has a lot to offer. I can't imagine the horror of waiting for games to trickle out on Wii U in a similar fashion, though. I know that there are probably some differences in the emulation, especially in terms of getting the game to work on the Gamepad. Don't they also have to get these games re-rated by the ESRB for the Wii U VC? All that considered, still, the launch makes for a meager and disappointing showing and I hope Nintendo has plans to build some serious momentum with more frequent and better-picked releases.

I wonder if Nintendo just hasn't put that many resources into the VC in general. It's perplexing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
These roms won't reheat themselves chaps! They're cooking as fast as they can!!

Toki767

As great as Super Mario World was and still is, that game should not be $9 today. The other games should be even less than what they are.

Top Bottom