• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console - News and Releases

hatchx

Banned
Absolutely pathetic.

Nintendo's VC is an absolute cluster fuck. I honestly feel they would be better off without it at this point, as it's paltry list is embarrassingly small and it only reiterates how bad their overall software lineup is and how archaic their DRM is handled.

Absolutely pathetic. I never envisioned them taking steps backwards from the Wii VC.

methodman

Banned
We are gonna start getting half a game per week. Here's the first half of a link to the past, the 2nd part will come out in the near future!

Well I for one am excited! I mean, how could I refuse my ecstatic joy of buying (and rebuying) some of the cream of the crop Nintendo titles that I've been dying for.

This should cause sales to skyrocket and everyone should be throwing ticker tape parades for this great bounty that has been bestowed at our feet. Reggie shall be showered in milk and honey tonight as there could not have been a stronger, more perfect launch lineup to capture the attention of those who have yet to purchase a Wii U!

Oh I'm sorry, this was serious?

Rehynn

I'm as disappointed as the next guy, but boy, are "Please understand" and "Please be excited" comments getting incredibly boring...

Dysun

Nintendo really needs to get with the times, archaic release schedules and no account system. I mean how hard are these things to implement in 2013?

"We had helped turn Zero into 100. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send Zero... back to nothing." - Iwata on the Virtual Console

So how many VC games does the 3DS usually get a week?

It varies wildly depending on region. NoA also actively lies about when games will be released. How about that Sonic Blast, guys? 8-bit Summer? Guys?

I think we'll see that again here. Japan gets a billion games and it's a dream factory while NoA thrusts consumers into a retro-gulag.

I don't understand what Nintendo doesn't understand about the obviousness of how to treat the Virtual Console. Seriously. Just release all your 20 year old games, how hard is it? I can download a SNES emulator on my Surface and a bunch of old SNES roms from various places and play them easily with my Xbox controller or touchscreen on the go. And this isn't even the first device to do such a thing. I had an N64 emulator on my Galaxy S ONE.

A6kmd4q.jpg

Why are they launching with 8 games? And only one or two interesting ones...

I get that it takes time, etc. But I'd say most of the work has basically already been done for them. In fact, I almost guarantee someone has emulators running on the Wii U via the OG Wii OS already. Just release the entire damn legacy library. It's not hard, and you aren't building hype by releasing Balloon Fight once a week.

Pricing is also wack. Here's what it should be to compete with the likes of Apple/Google/Microsoft/Sony (who don't have a huge library of games from the 80's on):

NES, Gameboy/Color: 99c a pop, just do it. (Instant huge, high-quality library of 99c games to compete with app store)
SNES, GBA: 2.99
N64: 4.99

All those above: Make it work on Wii U and 3DS, I will impulse buy almost every damn decent game they release at those pricepoints on nostalgia alone, no problem. There's even an opportunity here to do a subscription model to compete with Sony's Playstation Plus. Instant library for 50$ a year or whatever.

Hell, then just release Gamecube games, too, make them 9.99 a piece.

Allow all the games to run directly on the gamepad, out of the box, and allow save states.

Nintendo's reluctance to execute on the Virtual console is almost as bad as Disney keeping their damn movies in this arbitrary vault. It's stupid. Just stop, and sell us your damn games.

Hiltz

Oh, it's that bad ?

IGN: Why is it taking so long to get more VC titles out? There's only 20 titles in 4 months.
Reggie: We have Earthbound coming.
IGN: But you didn't answer the question.

Jackano

The good thing with moaning for years about how lame the VC release process is handhled since the 3DS VC is that the day where everyone is in shock with the Wii U VC line-up, well, I'm absolutely not surprised and absolutely not disappointed!

CDX

Well if we get a decent number of VC games released every week it won't be that bad. By decent I mean 5+ VC games every week.

It won't be good, but it wouldn't be terrible.

I'm thinking part of the problem though is that third parties are much colder than they were with the VC, I think they must've expected more money from retro digital sales and it ended up being the opposite, nevermind the trouble they might have to go through to get them back on again. Note how the Wii VC barrelled out with Genesis and TG16 support too, whereas this is just NES/SNES, not even Nintendo's N64.

EDIT: Doesn't help many of the companies seem to have vanished or otherwise gotten apathetic, Konami's not pulling TG16 games far as I can tell but they sure don't seem to have interest in getting them up on new platforms.

Yeah I fear 3rd parties didn't make as much off the VC as they hoped they would.

Jawmuncher

That's a pretty damn short list...

4644.jpg

Well, only way to go is up.

My face was exactly that when looking at that list. Hope they don't take to long, but considering how slow they took the Wii and are currently take the 3DS I don't hold high hopes.

DekuLink

I hope we get the NTSC version of SMW in europe, or else I won't buy it. Kirby's Adventure (PAL) looked horrible on the gamepad and less sharp on the TV than the Wii VC version (also PAL). So why would I buy a version that looks worse than one I already have, and that looks horribly blurry and has no contrast on the gamepad? The NTSC version of F-zero we got on the other hand looks beautiful. Sigh...

They can tell me all they want that they have optimized the games for PAL, but they still look much worse than their NTSC counterparts.

Camjo-Z

"Don't worry folks, while our initial lineup is small we've got a slew of more great games coming like Mach Rider™, Urban Champion™, and Donkey Kong Jr. Math™!"

Hiltz

I really hate the things Nintendo does , why not just give us more? Why do we have to wait months and years for games we want?

Cause we are apparently always hungry for more games and Nintendo just can't keep up with demand be it AAA titles or in this case, VC titles!

One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, 'Thank you, but I want more.' 'Thank you, but give me more.' I mean, it is insatiable. - Reggie

Top Bottom