• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lock if old:

http://gematsu.com/2012/11/wii-u-will-not-have-system-wide-achievements

Nintendo’s Wii U will not have its own equivalent to the Achievements and Trophy systems, according to Scribblenauts Unlimited developer 5th Cell. At least, not system-wide accomplishments.

“There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide,” said the studio’s Jeremiah Slaczka in a NeoGAF post.

“They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of “Global Starite Shards” which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren’t area specific.”

There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide. They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of "Global Starite Shards" which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific.

Haunted

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

At least post a link to the original post by Jackson. Shame on you, OP.

I wish Steam and Nintendo would add achievements as requirements for every game to appease those who want them. Keeping it up to the developers... I dunno.

ranmafan

I love achievements but its not that of an important issue really. Wont bug me one bit playing on the WiiU without them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
GAF -> Internet -> GAF

At least post a link to the original post by Jackson. Shame on you, OP.

That said, this is just like Steam.

Didn't realize it was a GAF post. But I updated it anyway.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

At least post a link to the original post by Jackson.

No it isn't. Steam has an achievement system. The Wii-U does not. Each game can make its own if it wants to but it's not part of nintendo's online structure. Steam achievements are part of steam.

This is a bigger deal to me than it really should be. Damn my addictions :/

Don't worry, there'll still be tons of digital checklists to fill out. They'll just be tied to a game instead of a system.

Sure it makes everything less competitive, but then again, Nintendo has never been big on promoting online competition.

qq more

Ehhhhhh I'm sort of okay with this. I can imagine some won't and that may not be a good thing but... achievements are just little extras in games to me.

Durante

Is it?

For me, the point of an achievements system is to have it tracked and available outside the game, and being able to easily compare it with others'. This is the case for Steam's system and if it's the same for Wii U I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it doesn't read like that to me.

meta4

Why is it hard to make it mandatory? How many resources is it going to consume for any dev to just add it during development. Sheesh. I dont know why Nintendo goes out of its way to screw things up sometimes.

Haunted

No it isn't. Steam has an achievement system. The Wii-U does not. Each game can make its own if it wants to but it's not part of nintendo's online structure. Steam achievements are part of steam.
Yeah, I meant as in not every game has to have achievements and that it's up to the developer to implement them or not. I edited when I realised that my first wording wasn't quite right.

Is it?

For me, the point of an achievements system is to have it tracked and available outside the game, and being able to easily compare it with others'. This is the case for Steam's system and if it's the same for Wii U I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it doesn't read like that to me.
See above. I took "system-wide achievements" to mean an accumulative overview like Microsoft's gamerscore instead of having them on a per-game basis. I edited my initial post. :)

I do like Steam's feature of quickly being able to check how many % of players have gotten which achievement. It's interesting data.

Didn't realize it was a GAF post. But I updated it anyway.
At least read the article you're making a thread on, c'mon son. :p

Why is it hard to make it mandatory? How many resources is it going to consume for any dev to just add it during development. Sheesh. I dont know why Nintendo goes out of its way to screw things up sometimes.

It shouldn't be a problem considering that every multiplatform title would already have a trophy/achievement list. And Nintendo has accomplishments for all of their launch titles, so they're already supporting it.

Instro

Judging from their comments on such things in the past, they think achievements are really stupid. Presumably since they don't care about them, they don't care to make it a mandatory thing for 3rd parties either.

Durante

Because REAL GAMERS need system-wide digital checklists to prove how HARDCORE they are, amirite?
No, but it's nice to have an easily accessible list of what you played (accomplished? :p) in any given month/year, and it's also nice being able to compare your progress in a game with a friend's. It still doesn't have to be mandatory, but it should be tracked and supported by the system software.

Are there any reasons not to?

Splint

So how will my future Wii U friends know which games I played or what I'm into? I think they are pretty important, unless Wii U has a "games played" info section on your profile.

Twinduct

Yeah, I meant as in not every game has to have achievements and that it's up to the developer to implement them or not. I edited when I realised that my first wording wasn't quite right.

Doubt that will be forced. Then again, how many steamworks games don't have acheevos? (criteria: 2011+ release).

Sony gave the whole 'up to you guys' approach to devs this generation. Seems to have backfired quite a bit (having to patch in in game XMB and not having a full custom solution for tracks/ youtuber and etc)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've spent the most of the last generation thinking achievements are kind of dumb... And I'm willing to excuse a lot for Nintendo not doing it like the other companies.... but even I think this is kind of a big oversight!

Ban Puncher

wyj6i.jpg

FREEDOM! HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE FREEDOM!

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
It would've been neat to see Nintendo's cute take on a global achievement system, given how they have amusingly woven character into their OS features in their more recent systems.

Eh, I'm over achievements being much of a pull for me anyways. I will still try and get a couple more trophies if I'm close to getting all of them in a game, but I find in-game achievement solutions ala Xenoblade or Kid Icarus to be more interesting.

I don't care about achievements and I don't like the idea of developers being forced to add them to their game if they don't care about them either.

I like unlockables and if a developers wants to make a shopping list of stuff to do to unlock stuff, that's cool, but I think gamerscores are dumb.

I don't care one bit, but this will probably be a bombshell for people who do care. This'll probably be bigger than the lack of crossgame chat. :(

Instro

So how will my future Wii U friends know which games I played or what I'm into? I think they are pretty important, unless Wii U has a "games played" info section on your profile.

I believe Miiverse tracks a lot of your play data for friends to look at.

Valnen

Not a big deal but shows incompetence on Nintendo's part. Guess you're allowed to be stone age when you make great first party games still. I probably won't be going out of my way to buy a Wii U for third party games because of this =/.

Toki767

Not a big deal, but I did like how Achievements/Trophies let me see where my friends are in parts of the games. If Miiverse does that already, then it's not a big loss to me.

Top Bottom