• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U will not have system-wide achievements

Katzii

I don't see why it's an issue myself. If I want to go for achievements or trophies, I'll play my PS3. But if I want to play through a game for fun and not feel that I have to spend hours doing the same little bit again and again to have a little image flash up on screen to tell me I've done something, I'll play my Wii/U.

Linkhero1

They add hardcore element gamers are craving for!!

And I don't mind this at all. If developers don't want them in, they shouldn't be forced.

I thought the game itself would have been enough but I guess they got to give people obsessed with this sort of thing something. I don't see the big deal considering developers are still able put achievements if they please. I agree with you, give developers more freedom and don't force anything on them.

Developers dont want to do demos either, is that okay too?

If they don't want to release a demo then that's their problem.

Eusis

Judging from their comments on such things in the past, they think achievements are really stupid. Presumably since they don't care about them, they don't care to make it a mandatory thing for 3rd parties either.
And to be honest, it seems like when Nintendo games DO have achievements they tend to be more interesting. Xenoblade throws you EXP bones semi-frequently for them, while Kid Icarus grants you weapons and gradually reveals more of a picture. It's how I'd really prefer achievement systems to be done, maybe adding an online function to compare in each game to everyone on your friends list that's been playing it.

I hate ANY feature but basic quality control and universal functionality ones being standardized for all games, but I'm probably in the minority there.And by those basic quality control/universal functionality I mean like choosing where to save, the option to install to a card/hard drive (when it has an advantage anyway), and what resolution to display/scale to. Forcing other stuff like a standardized save system (PSP/PS3/Vita), the leaderboards in XBLA games along with how they start up, and obviously achievements tend to rob games of a tiny bit of individuality for me, and it's arbitrary unlike the limitations of what hardware can do.

meta4

Judging from their comments on such things in the past, they think achievements are really stupid. Presumably since they don't care about them, they don't care to make it a mandatory thing for 3rd parties either.

Well judging from the past they seem to think even having a decent online experience is stupid. Thankfully they are going about rectifying that or at least I hope.

It shouldn't be a problem considering that every multiplatform title would already have a trophy/achievement list. And Nintendo has accomplishments for all of their launch titles, so they're already supporting it.

Exactly. It also kind of builds a sense of community and forges a stronger bond with the product. Even a lot of people here in GAF want to continue with their gamer score, trophy level into the next generation . They have invested in that ecosystem and so want to continue to buy the next product put out by these companies. It is a good thing to have if a lot of ppl dig this stuff. Not sure why it is so difficult to make it compulsory. It cant hurt them business wise in any way to make it mandatory ,can it?

beason52

Neo Member
Even a portable console (vita) has them implemented.

I always thought they were dumb until I got a 360. I never go for 100%/platinum trophies but I do enjoy getting the ones that I can earn without going out of my way.

This is a horrible decision. People buy games for the sole purpose of earning easy achievements/trophies (sad but true)

JoeFenix

Atleast I won't have to worry about shitty online trophies in Wii U games. Achievements have been so poorly designed in most games that I'm almost glad they aren't in there.

Eusis

Developers dont want to do demos either, is that okay too?
Sure, sometimes they just screw it up anyway.

Actually, if I have to be honest some of these responses are why I kinda want achievements, as they currently are anyway, to be killed off. It can be a fun extra, but it gets treated as TOO important too often for my liking, especially relative to how integral they REALLY are to the experience.
This is a horrible decision. People buy games for the sole purpose of earning easy achievements/trophies (sad but true)
Exactly why I kinda want them killed off. One thing to be a fun little extra people really like, another to have their omission be an active deal breaker, then it starts to look more like an addiction that needs to be cut.

Glad that Nintendo is still sticking to the ideals that Miyamoto set out. Now they just need to make games that are compelling enough to play without an achievement metagame. They did that for the Wii, so I don't see why they can't do that for the WiiU

Haunted

Giving developers a CHOICE!?!?! Oh, the humanity!
If giving devs a choice mean I might miss out on something, I'm against it as a consumer.

I think mandatory demos/trial versions would be great.

As for achievements, I'd rather have them (and the option to ignore them) than not, and it's quite obvious that quite a few people really care about them. I think it would be smart business to appeal to them rather then shun them, but that's just me.

Instro

Atleast I won't have to worry about shitty online trophies in Wii U games. Achievements have been so poorly designed in most games that I'm almost glad they aren't in there.

"Shoot 500 enemies" "Cleared Chapter 2" "Cleared Chapter 3" "Beat the game"

Even a portable console (vita) has them implemented.

I always thought they were dumb until I got a 360. I never go for 100%/platinum trophies but I do enjoy getting the ones that I can earn without going out of my way.

Exactly the reason why this is a good decision. Nonsense like that is utterly ridiculous.

Tenck

If giving devs a choice mean I might miss out on something, I'm against it as a consumer.

I think mandatory demos/trial versions would be great.

You're missing out on a digital notification that says "WOW THIS GUY REALLY DID SOMETHING IN THE GAME!!!"

IrishNinja

yeah, i'm a fan of achievements too (again, i always want them in 8/16 bit games!) but given how much of GAF shits on threads about meta-gaming, this may be a selling point for some.

always saw steam as the in-between: yeah, you gotta go looking to see who got what, but isn't that true overall? i hope the games that do include them, they're visible without too much effort. also, seeing NSMBU include them has me hopeful more 1st party titles will as well.

Haunted

You're missing out on a digital notification that says "WOW THIS GUY REALLY DID SOMETHING IN THE GAME!!!"
If I don't want them, give me the option to disable achievement notification popups. If only a partial % of gamers really, really like achievements, that should be enough motivation for developers to include them. It's an easy bullet point to get.

DSix

Banned
Nice. Nintendo making the tasteful call. Achievements are like a disease at this point, it's fucking everywhere, and I don't like it.

Sony was the worst offender with no option to disable trophies (without also disabling friends message/invite notifications too...).

sakipon

I can't wait to check Miiverse and see how third party games have given the possibility to post stuff exactly like that. Preferably after each level.

AzaK

Achievements as they typically stand (bullet point check boxes) are crass and uncreative. I would much prefer a system wide system that had more tangible and interesting rewards. Second to that, per game creations will do fine. Unlockables are far far more interesting to me than a "You shot 10 people!".

When I saw the ones in the Street Pass Mii Plaza on 3DS I died a little, realising that Nintendo had copped out.

meta4

yeah, i'm a fan of achievements too (again, i always want them in 8/16 bit games!) but given how much of GAF shits on threads about meta-gaming, this may be a selling point for some.

always saw steam as the in-between: yeah, you gotta go looking to see who got what, but isn't that true overall? i hope the games that do include them, they're visible without too much effort. also, seeing NSMBU include them has me hopeful more 1st party titles will as well.

The problem with this is that there is no sense of consistency in the ecosystem. If you dont make stuff like Trophies, Cross Game Chat mandatory and leave it as a choice to the developer if will leave many gamers irritated. Not being able to chat because you are playing Nintendoland or some other game that does not support such features is just inconvenient.

Btw off topic - has Nintendo said anything about cross game chat at all? Is it going to be mandatory or left to the developer?

SmithnCo

Achievements are totally fine and optional, it's nice that Nintendo is letting the devs make the call though. I hope most first party titles have them though, it's a nice way to track progress in a game and compare.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't mind, PS3 can continue to be the console for the type of gamer that enjoys chasing Trophies. Personally seeing those pop ups kind of take me out of the game.

rdrr gnr

Yup. Games should also be a mandatory 1080p on PS4/720. If not, Sony and Microsoft shouldn't allow it on their consoles.
Absurd and fallacious analogy. You lose something in the process (like fidelity in other visual elements). Something like that should be an option as it is an intrinsic characteristic of said game. This is not the same.

Red UFO

I'm fine with this personally, although I'm not sure how wise of a decision it is, I know a lot of dudes who are way into achievements.

Haunted

So just that I'm clear on this - no achievements tied into the system itself means it's like the Wii, where some games had them in-game? Like the challenges in Mega Man 9.

Nice. Nintendo making the tasteful call. Achievements are like a disease at this point, it's fucking everywhere, and I don't like it.

Sony was the worst offender with no option to disable trophies (without also disabling friends message/invite notifications too...).
See, that's not the fault of the achievement system per se, that's Sony fucking up the handling.

If you don't like achievements, you should never have to see one.

But if you do like them, you should be able to have them in every game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The reason I like achievements is that they're a means of tracking/showing/comparing my progress to my friends' progress and accomplishments within a game. This is just the standard at this point and Nintendo should be embarrassed about not including such a simple feature. Is this the result of isolation? Arrogance? Decisions like this are mind boggling.

Tenck

I can't wait to check Miiverse and see how third party games have given the possibility to post stuff exactly like that. Preferably after each level.

Sounds good. All the people who love achievements can now show me what they've done up to the point I see their messages. It'll be like achievements never really were optional ^^

Valnen

Absurd and fallacious analogy. You lose something in the process (like fidelity in other visual elements). Something like that should be an option as it is an intrinsic characteristic of said game. This is not the same.

Fidelity in other areas doesn't do anything when they're blurred out because of the resolution. Not to mention next gen hardware will likely be so powerful there won't be an excuse for your game to not be 1080p other than horrible optimization.

A game not being in 1080p on a 1080p display degrades the gaming experience. Achievements are fun for a lot of people, so not having them will also degrade the gaming experience.

Twinduct

Its looking like there might not be cross game chat so its exactly like the pre trophie days.

Christ. I always liked the idea of giving the dev control over stuff. But there needs to be a line of min requirements.

Was hoping Nintendo learned from Sony's choices ... then again not like Sony learned from their own choices.

Top Bottom