• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

dyls

Were the Operation Guides always available from the Wii Shop menu? I thought they were only in-game, but after updating I looked at Tetris Party and it had the full Operations Guide on the site. Also, the Shop channel is definitely moving faster.

New Wii Experience! Change the name of points, and possibly do something about the homebrew channel/ISO loader.

By the way VOOK, a 3.2 to 3.3 upgrade is safe with homebrew channel install. I had used the most recent version of the Twilight Hack though, the 3.3 safe one. I've got a few USA EA games, and Gecko works well for 'em.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm suspicious that they'd need a system update to change THOSE aspects of the Shopping Channel, as I was under the impression that the Shopping Channel's individual pages were simply downloaded and displayed.

dyls said:
Were the Operation Guides always available from the Wii Shop menu? I thought they were only in-game, but after updating I looked at Tetris Party and it had the full Operations Guide on the site. Also, the Shop channel is definitely moving faster.

Wiiware games never came with game manuals ingame due to size restriction - they were always available from the Wii Shop.

swerve

Japanese shop channel running significantly faster (start up and between pages). Still not exactly amazing speed, but much nicer.

DavidDayton said:
I'm suspicious that they'd need a system update to change THOSE aspects of the Shopping Channel, as I was under the impression that the Shopping Channel's individual pages were simply downloaded and displayed.

I agree. It would explain the Shopping Channel being down for maintenance like the notice says, not any firmware update that people can't even seem to get.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
JonathanEx said:
New Wii Experience! Change the name of points, and possibly do something about the homebrew channel/ISO loader.

By the way VOOK, a 3.2 to 3.3 upgrade is safe with homebrew channel install. I had used the most recent version of the Twilight Hack though, the 3.3 safe one. I've got a few USA EA games, and Gecko works well for 'em.

Hmm I might update then, if its on 3.3 Wii Music probably won't want to update it then

Somnid

Even though the shop is html pages there's still some custom javascript that the shop channel uses. So even a cosmetic change can force a system update especially since the shop channel is part of the firmware it doesn't update independently.

But it is much more likely that this update will for DSi as it may very well be using the same servers.

Also trying to browse the sever via firefox is now coming up with 403 errors. Looks like security was altered as well.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, so this may or may not be related to this, but I just tried to install the Homebrew Channel and it comes up with this:

Starting installation...
Installing ticket...
ES_AddTicket failed: -2011

Installation failed!

I think I've followed all the instructions to the letter. Is this because of the update, or did I do something wrong?

EDIT: Well I got Tetris working with the Twilight hack, so I must be doing something right.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
VideoMan said:
I can confirm the Twilight Hack still works with this new firmware.
With Twilight Hack you mean the hack itself (loading the Zelda hacked savegame), or the Homebrew Channel?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I've just installed the newest update and my Homebrew Channel loads up fine, still.

Just tried Megaman X Collection (import Cube game) on GCLoader too, works fine.

This is me trying to live up to my tag.

Mithos

KevinCow said:
Alright, so this may or may not be related to this, but I just tried to install the Homebrew Channel and it comes up with this:

Starting installation...
Installing ticket...
ES_AddTicket failed: -2011

Installation failed!

Nintendo have patched the IOS:es, and now you can't install a fake-signed channels anymore apparently.

KevinCow

Banned
Well son of a motherfucker. Should've installed the homebrew channel before updating...

What are the chances of them finding a new way around it that doesn't involve some crazy annoying bullshit like what installing PSP CFW has become?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've heard there's some way to downgrade to 3.2, but I have no idea how it works.

SovanJedi said:
This is me trying to live up to my tag.
Indeed. Thank you.

Mithos

KevinCow said:
Well son of a motherfucker. Should've installed the homebrew channel before updating...

What are the chances of them finding a new way around it that doesn't involve some crazy annoying bullshit like what installing PSP CFW has become?

Time will tell if they find a way, i'm pretty sure they are already looking into this.

Jocchan said:
I've heard there's some way to downgrade to 3.2, but I have no idea how it works.

Downgrading the Wii menu to 3.2 will not help, its the IOS files that have been patched, and they will stay patched even if you re-install an older Wii-menu afaik.

Hope i'm wrong though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mithos said:
[...] i'm pretty sure they are already looking into this.
I think it's a safe bet.

Mithos said:
Downgrading the Wii menu to 3.2 will not help, its the IOS files that have been patched, and they will stay patched even if you re-install an older Wii-menu afaik.

Hope i'm wrong though.
I meant I have no idea if downgrading restores older IOS too.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I got the blue light thing a minute ago. I was skeptical in updating since I do have the homebrew channel installed, but now I think I will update it. It'll be in the morning of course. Thanks.

KevinCow

Banned
Well I guess going through the Twilight Hack to load stuff isn't so bad. Though after playing some GBA games with the Classic Controller through my Wii, I have only one question: Why the hell didn't I do this earlier? Seriously, being able to play GBA games on my TV instead of a dinky little GBA screen will breathe new life into every single one of them. I replayed a lot of my favorite GBA games earlier this year. Looks like I'll be playing them again.

I also now feel like a dick for never investing in a Game Boy Player.

mandiller

Rewrite said:
I got the blue light thing a minute ago. I was skeptical in updating since I do have the homebrew channel installed, but now I think I will update it. It'll be in the morning of course. Thanks.

There's a report that you can't install WADs anymore with the new update. So no more emulator channels and such. Only one report so far so someone else will have to verify this.

gloone

Rewrite said:

I don't think you'll be able to install any new stuff on your wii after you've updated. Just so you know.

You'll still be able to launch stuff from the homebrew channel I guess but you won't be able to install any new channels.

Threi

notag
says it deletes "suspicious saves" but YOU DON'T SCARE ME NINTENDO

*updates*

*edit*

Everything runs fine.

TunaLover

KevinCow said:
Well I guess going through the Twilight Hack to load stuff isn't so bad. Though after playing some GBA games with the Classic Controller through my Wii, I have only one question: Why the hell didn't I do this earlier? Seriously, being able to play GBA games on my TV instead of a dinky little GBA screen will breathe new life into every single one of them. I replayed a lot of my favorite GBA games earlier this year. Looks like I'll be playing them again.

I also now feel like a dick for never investing in a Game Boy Player.

If you're lucky enough someone could launch a new IOS patch to override the Nintendo's one, don't worry I'm sure that a new cIOS is in the work as we speak. I suppose this hypotheticall new IOS should install through another method different from the HBC, since it seems not posible load the HBC anymore with 3.4, if you istalled it after.

yoopoo

Banned
mandiller said:
There's a report that you can't install WADs anymore with the new update. So no more emulator channels and such. Only one report so far so someone else will have to verify this.
No point in using emulator channels anyway if you already have HBC installed.

But Wiiware pirates are screwed, so its all good.

TunaLover

Mithos said:

Hope i'm wrong though.

Aside, that downgrader app needs the HBC to run, we don't even know if its possible run this app through another loader, I guess no since isn't posible install channels with the new 3.4

MoogPaul

I took the dive, homebrew still works fine as long as it's already been installed. Don't know anything about these new ISO files though.

Osuwari

hm i searched for this topic to see if it was safe to update and i'm updating atm and had the hbc installed beforehand.

DustoMan

Banned
Read the message from Nintendo. This was an update to the Store not the Wii System Software. The version number isn't going to change. Someone needs to update the thread title.

markatisu

This was posted by the Homebrew Channel creators

Updated all IOSes, and IOS51

Released: 23rd October 2008

* This blocks new installations of anything fakesigned, that is, Homebrew Channel (both new installs and updates), wads (legal and illegal), Starfall, cIOS, anything that installs IOSes secretly like AnyRegion Changer or AnyTitle Deleter, xyzzy and DVDX (used for apps which have DVD support). This list is not exhaustive, but please add to it if you think of anything else.
* This also blocks access to /dev/flash. This means raw nand dumping utilities no longer work.
* If something is already installed then it isn't affected, like Homebrew Channel, etc.
* The homebrew developers are already planning how to work around this update.
* You currently need this update to access the Wii Shop Channel.
* If you already have the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, and aren't planning to install anything big that will affect your Wii, then you are most likely unaffected. Normal everyday apps such as Homebrew Browser are completely unaffected as long as you already have the Homebrew Channel.
* It updates all IOSes with the fakesigning bug, and adds IOS51.

loosus

Banned
So how long till Nintendo gets a clue and makes the Shop Channel like the PSN Store (i.e., a non-browser application)?

The PSN Store has become so much more usable since then. It's like browsing firmware menus from a UMD.

CTLance

markatisu said:
This was posted by the Homebrew Channel creators
Wow, those are pretty extensive changes. Sneaky, sneaky. Oh well, as long as no real incentives come along I'll stay with my good old 3.2E.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
loosus said:
So how long till Nintendo gets a clue and makes the Shop Channel like the PSN Store (i.e., a non-browser application)?

The PSN Store has become so much more usable since then. It's like browsing firmware menus from a UMD.

Probably never, need to keep the shop channel's size down after all.

HUELEN10

Stormbringer said:
Seems like the "real" 3.4 is now out. Supposedly block homebrew, as you would expect...
Alert WiiBrew, call the "imageboards", take pics.

Let's go GO GO!

Seriously, I need to know if this disables any region free apps. I need these for tatsunoko and Captain Rainbow

Top Bottom