• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

HUELEN10

OH SHIT!

2b6vr6.png

This means no HBC which means NO IMPORTS!

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo just updated the terms of service - they may now update your system without user confirmation, and actually without even informing the user:

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/privacyPolicy.jsp

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Here we go. This could be the real first round between Nintendo and the homebrewers. Prior clashes were nothing more than little jabs back and forth.

using mt hunter skiils (I am the Wii master fterall :p)I have found something awsome!

In some of the SD Memory Card to improve the speed of reading and writing.
● ● Wiiディスクの読み取り能力が向上します。 Wii will improve the ability to read the disk
from the Japanese site...does the speed have anything do do with the...storage...solution...?!

Click on "Wii COnsole updated http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...p/wii/index.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

EDIT The spped....WOW

Its...wow...toook 3 seconds for 90 blocks to copy...:O

!!!

mandiller

The update apparently removes the homebrew channel/homebrew/backup loader upon installation and fixes it so you can't install it anymore. Also there's talk that this update can be downloaded and applied even if you don't accept the download. So keep your Wii offline if you want homebrew!

Keep Wiiconnect 24 off.

From Nintendo:

"UPDATES AND UPGRADES

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."

HUELEN10

WiiRevolution1 said:
using mt hunter skiils (I am the Wii master fterall :p)I have found something awsome!

In some of the SD Memory Card to improve the speed of reading and writing.
● ● Wiiディスクの読み取り能力が向上します。 Wii will improve the ability to read the disk
from the Japanese site...does the speed have anything do do with the...storage...solution...?!

Click on "Wii COnsole updated http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...p/wii/index.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

EDIT The spped....WOW

Its...wow...toook 3 seconds for 90 blocks to copy...:O

!!!
Is it worth it to have no HBC for Wario land and Captain Rainbow?

mandiller said:
The update apparently removes the homebrew channel/homebrew/backup loader upon installation and fixes it so you can't install it anymore. Also there's talk that this update can be downloaded and applied even if you don't accept the download. So keep your Wii offline if you want homebrew!

Keep Wiiconnect 24 off.

From Nintendo:

Yeah, the homebrew boys better fix this soon. I want to play some Disaster: Day of Crisis someday.

M3wThr33

Banned
Blue glow, Disconnected Wi-Fi, turned on Wii, had a message from David, then disabled WC24.

Hopefully I can wait to see what's up.

Yeah, it'll be several hours before I can get home and disable WiiConnect24 again. Waiting anxiously in the meantime.

I don't suppose it's kosher to talk about firmware downgrades?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I wonder what it means by updating without any notification. Surely it wouldn't try to update when the system is on standby since someone could easily unplug it and unwittingly brick their Wii.

itxaka

Defeatist
We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii

lol

Is that even legal? I mean, changing user terms AFTER you accepted a different ones? I dont think is legal in Spain, you could even return the console to nintendo directly for changing the terms of use of the console after you bougth it xD

Firestorm

Hm? It doesn't automatically install the firmware so why shut it off? I think I'm still one 3.2 or something. Haven't played a game newer then Brawl. Maybe I would if Amazon would get around to shipping Symphonia to me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Firestorm said:
Hm? It doesn't automatically install the firmware so why shut it off? I think I'm still one 3.2 or something. Haven't played a game newer then Brawl. Maybe I would if Amazon would get around to shipping Symphonia to me.

I'm just getting in on the overreacting fun. :)

M3wThr33

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
I wonder what it means by updating without any notification. Surely it wouldn't try to update when the system is on standby since someone could easily unplug it and unwittingly brick their Wii.
Quick patches could be applied quick.
OR this patches the system to allow it to go into an auto-patch mode if there's a connection when you turn it on.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Good thing the power to my place went out Friday. The power button thing has been red ever since. Haven't turned it on for a while.

wsippel

Banned
itxaka said:
lol

Is that even legal? I mean, changing user terms AFTER you accepted a different ones? I dont think is legal in Spain, you could even return the console to nintendo directly for changing the terms of use of the console after you bougth it xD
I believe the terms of service you accepted contain a clause that allows Nintendo to change the ToS at any time. And it's most definitely legal. Blizzard does the same with World of Warcraft every once in a while for example.

Bizzyb

Banned
I'm still using ver. 3.2

and just took off Wiiconnect. Dammit I'm going to play Capcom vs Tatsunoko one way or the other.

Haunted

Updates itself?

Removes my homebrew channel?

Prevents me from installing the homebrew channel again?

:eek :eek

*disables WiiConnect24* *disables standby*

Segata Sanshiro said:
It would really suck if there were any reason to turn on a Wii.
:(

Firestorm said:
Not only that, but installing system critical patches without the consumer being aware of it are a perfect recipe for lawsuits. More than likely, Nintendo will just disable some Internet feature (like the Shop, Nintendo, Everybody Votes, Weather and News channels) until you update so you're encouraged to do so.

Haunted

wsippel said:
It isn't? Then what is my Wii trying to tell me? It's glowing...
oh snap!

To be honest, I've no idea whether it's out in PAL or not - it usually takes a while until we get the updates, doesn't it? But I've heard conflicting reports.

Your chance to take one for the team, wsippel. Check the message and hope it doesn't update itself. :p

wsippel

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
You might have a message...
Doubt it. I have no friends.

EDIT: Yep, as expected: It's a message from Nintendo, the 3.4 update is out in Europe. It didn't auto-update, though.

HUELEN10

Haunted said:
oh snap!

To be honest, I've no idea whether it's out in PAL or not - it usually takes a while until we get the updates, doesn't it? But I've heard conflicting reports.

Your chance to take one for the team, wsippel. Check the message and hope it doesn't update itself. :p
Would YOU take one for the home team?

Exactly...

Haunted

HUELEN10 said:
Would YOU take one for the home team?

Exactly...
I just love to play devil's advocate. :p

wsippel said:
Doubt it. I have no friends.

EDIT: Yep, as expected: It's a message from Nintendo, the 3.4 update is out in Europe. It didn't auto-update, though.
Thanks for checking. :)

Linkhero1

Shit, Good thing I saw this thread before going on my Wii. Disconnected everything, deleted all my internet connections. Can't wait for BootMii.

Top Bottom