• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update 3.4 is out.

So they're finally going to be using Wii Connect 24 properly for updates, nice!

I can confirm that this update does indeed greatly improve SD card transfer times (At least 2 times faster, seriously it's like greased lightning compared to before!) What is interesting though is that copying files to an SD card now doesn't seem to take any longer than it does to copy it back!

Also, the Wii shop channel now has a section to enter download tickets (For things like the Wii Speak Channel)

EDIT: Yeah could someone please check to see if SDHC cards work now! (I don't have one myself so I can't check)

swerve

Nuclear Muffin said:
Also, the Wii shop channel now has a section to enter download tickets (For things like the Wii Speak Channel)

That was already there, at least on J-Wiis since earlier updates. Had to use it for the Band Bros Speaker Channel.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Had 3.2E now on 3.4E

- Mod Chip still works
- Homebrew Channel still installed and working

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
M3wThr33 said:
Blue glow, Disconnected Wi-Fi, turned on Wii, had a message from David, then disabled WC24.

Hopefully I can wait to see what's up.

Wow. I do hope I don't spook out the OTHER folks I sent messages to.

DDayton

I'm testing SD speeds, but I don't notice a major difference... it's funny, as I spent most of yesterday evening downloading and transferring all my downloads (9 pages) to my new 2GB SD card.

If transferring FROM SD to Wii memory is faster, it's not -much- faster.

JonathanEx said:
At least Sony add new things when removing loopholes too.

And surely you understand not being tied to just the Europe region is the best for Nintendo fans :p
The last couple of PSP firmware updates haven't added much of anything. This is just the reality of the gaming world now.

I just wish Nintendo didn't have their heads so far up their asses on region-locking. It's never been a problem legally for them with the handheld business, and Sony seems to be fine doing it with the PS3.

I understand why region-locking exists in the first place, but surely if no one came after them for the GB, GBC, GBA, and DS, and no one is going after Sony for the PSP and PS3, it should be okay for the Wii.

DDayton

Okay... I'm seriously seeing no major difference in SD card speeds here. Transferring from Wii to SD yesterday, the typical time for a transfer (in seconds) was 1/2 of the block size of a program... a 300 block file transferred in 150 seconds, etc.. I'm seeing the same speeds right now.

If someone is getting RADICALLY improved speeds, would they test their SD card out with Crystal DiskMark and report back with their SD card stats?

--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 19.920 MB/s
Sequential Write : 5.816 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 19.948 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.562 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 4.143 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 0.015 MB/s

Test Size : 50 MB
Date : 2008/11/15 0:20:59

(And if you have a 2GB SD card that performs radically better, please let me know. I'm having a horrible time getting real speed evaluations on SD cards, anywhere.)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Guys, I thought you had got it by now. Reggie doesn't want you to play Disaster. That's it.

LEAVE GECKOOS ALONE!
24djy51.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Nuclear Muffin said:
EDIT: Yeah could someone please check to see if SDHC cards work now! (I don't have one myself so I can't check)
Please....PLEASE make it available. I'm tired of the maximum 2GB limit.

DavidDayton said:
What sort of SD cards are these people using, if the files are really transferring at this speed...?

Edit: Video removed. How odd.

Yep that's about the same speeds I'm getting (maybe a bit faster, haven't timed it yet though) I've just got a bog standard Sandisk 2gb SD Card (Think it's around 6MB a sec read though I'm not sure)

Can't believe nobody has tested an SDHC card yet, come on people! It's not gonna blow up your Wii!

mutsu

Iwata stated that the SD card speed increase will not come until Spring 2009 in Japan. I highly doubt they have beaten their schedule by 4+ months.

mutsu said:
Iwata stated that the SD card speed increase will not come until Spring 2009 in Japan. I highly doubt they have beaten their schedule by 4+ months.
That's when it was said the more streamlined method of fridge-data-shuffling would occur, but I don't remember actual transfer speeds themselves coming up.

Vagabundo

wiibrew.org said:
Update appears to include IOS50 (used by menu) and IOS254 (a copy of IOS9, to block PatchMii).

hmmm seems Nintendo is keeping a close eye on the homebrew scene. Dont want a psp on their hands maybe..

RELEASE MOAR FEATUREs NINTENDO..

dannie

at 3.3 firmware

i copy the 270block game to my SD card[scan disk 1GB U2].... take 13mins o.o

i updata 3.4......

copy the game again,take 35sec finish~~WOO

i only take few mins to backup all my VC/wiiware game~COOL

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, I've updated to Version 3.4E and...

...my Homebrew Channel still works and am now playing Mega Man X5 (and really not enjoying it) on my US copy of Mega Man X Collection, through my European machine.

Copying over Sin and Punishment right now (291 blocks) from my Wii to the SD card and it... doesn't seem any faster than before, and neither does the copying back to the Wii either. About 30 seconds each way. I'm using one of the "SanDisk for Wii" 2.0GB SD cards.

So there you have it - if you had the Homebrew Channel on before it should still work at least.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Maybe they will update the fucking web browser so it works with more than 5% of websites. At least update flash.

Haunted

Wiibrew confirms that 3.4 doesn't affect the HBC if it's already installed.

Other custom channels made using the Twilight Hack are removed/disabled, though.

whew! GeckoOS is safe....for now.
dun dun DUUUN

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
Wiibrew confirms that 3.4 doesn't affect the HBC if it's already installed.

Other custom channels made using the Twilight Hack are removed/disabled, though.

whew! GeckoOS is safe....for now.
dun dun DUUUN
Here's the hoping they won't touch the HBC and just focus on fighting piracy (like they should).
Who am I trying to fool? :/

meppi

Also using the official White 2Gig Sandisc SD card and I can confirm that the transfer speeds have gone up significantly.

The larger files used to take several minutes to copy and now everything seems to be under 30 seconds. Very nice!

Somnid said:
but I could definately see them banning modified systems from their network service starting now.
Why exactly would you think this?

I would welcome this since playing Mario Kart online is getting to be annoying with all the cheaters lately.

hirokazu

Must defend the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom playing device at all costs!

Shit, why do I care, I have a modded machine anyway and I've barely dabbled in the Wii homebrew scene.

Still on 3.2 for now though. My WiiConnect24 is still on, but I haven't received a message to update yet.

SovanJedi said:
Copying over Sin and Punishment right now (291 blocks) from my Wii to the SD card and it... doesn't seem any faster than before, and neither does the copying back to the Wii either. About 30 seconds each way. I'm using one of the "SanDisk for Wii" 2.0GB SD cards.

Jeez. I'd kill for a transfer speed like that - I'm stuck counting mine in minutes for all but the smallest NES titles. If the update can bring my transfer speeds down to a minute or less for N64/WW games I'll be delighted.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
farnham said:
so the whole thing is just a hoax..?

still not going to update though

Might kill the ability to install the channel but mines in so I don't care, plus I have the mod chip so I could reinstall again if I'm not mistaken.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
meppi said:
Also using the official White 2Gig Sandisc SD card and I can confirm that the transfer speeds have gone up significantly.

The larger files used to take several minutes to copy and now everything seems to be under 30 seconds. Very nice!

Wait, was this happening to everyone else then? I had never noticed a transfer problem with large files like that. SNES games take about 8 seconds now, NES and C64 games about the same.

Cosmonaut X said:
Jeez. I'd kill for a transfer speed like that - I'm stuck counting mine in minutes for all but the smallest NES titles. If the update can bring my transfer speeds down to a minute or less for N64/WW games I'll be delighted.

Guess I never noticed it then, or was oblivious. Oops.

I updated my Wii now, too. transfer speed is slightly increased. But I think I noticed something different as well.

If you start up your Wii it states "Wii Menu" where the clock is. After 2sec this disappears and the clock shows up. Does this mean there will be an SD Menu as well? Haven't I noticed this since and this is always the case? someone confirm/deny please.

I hope they changed the updates the way that they also update every Channel I downloaded. I don't want to update my Game Channels myself anymore. That sucks, especially because our connection is very lame.

Caesar III said:
I updated my Wii now, too. transfer speed is slightly increased. But I think I noticed something different as well.

If you start up your Wii it states "Wii Menu" where the clock is. After 2sec this disappears and the clock shows up.

Was always like that.

Copied Sin&Punishment and Paper Mario to a cheap 1GB SD card and it took forever (nearly 2 minutes). Can't say I noticed even a slight difference. ;I.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
slaughterking said:
Copied Sin&Punishment and Paper Mario to a cheap 1GB SD card and it took forever (nearly 2 minutes). Can't say I noticed even a slight difference. ;I.

I'm going to assume then, that this update hasn't done a thing for transfer speeds and it's all still due to the kind of SD card you use. Cheapskates.

SovanJedi said:
I'm going to assume then, that this update hasn't done a thing for transfer speeds and it's all still due to the kind of SD card you use. Cheapskates.

Wrong, transfer times have at least halved for me. NOW HAS ANYONE TESTED AN SDHC CARD FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED!!!

SovanJedi said:

Heh :)

Well, I'll check it tonight by copying over Space Invaders Get Even, but my card is a 2GB Sandisk and I would have thought that would have been decent enough quality.

meppi

SovanJedi said:

No no no.

I've been using the same SD card since I got my Wii on launch day.
For games that were 300 or more blocks I could easily go to the kitchen and make a couple of sandwiches, come back and wait for the transfer to complete.

While after the update I just did, even the games over 300 blocks take less than 30 seconds to copy. The ones under 100 blocks about 5-8 seconds.

If you have a crappy card then you still won't notice much I guess.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wrong, transfer times have at least halved for me. NOW HAS ANYONE TESTED AN SDHC CARD FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED!!!

meppi said:
No no no.

I've been using the same SD card since I got my Wii on launch day.
For games that were 300 or more blocks I could easily go to the kitchen and make a couple of sandwiches, come back and wait for the transfer to complete.

While after the update I just did, even the games over 300 blocks take less than 30 seconds to copy. The ones under 100 blocks about 5-8 seconds.

If you have a crappy card then you still won't notice much I guess.

ALRIGHT alright, I'll retract my statement then. But my card is pretty decent from the sound of it and it hasn't made any difference. I guess if you have a REALLY cheap and skanky card then it's too bad for you, but if it's middling-to-good then you might notice an improvement in line with what you lot are getting.

Microsoft: "Get ready for a new Xbox experience, with a completely rethought interface, tons of new features, and even more to come soon!"
Nintendo: "We're going to scrub your console of every last bit of homebrew. Oh, and the Mii Channel can use keyboards now or something."

Very contrasting approaches. Granted, Microsoft's not had to worry about homebrew in the same way, but they do have to worry about rampant piracy.

Linkzg said:
TvC will shine on.

You said it. WiiConnect24 goes off. Tatsunoko lives on.

Unless 3.4 is on the damn Tatsunoko disc.

Top Bottom