• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU games with Off TV Play

Man God

Non-Canon Member
there's a severe lack in impressions in here. come on people, throw uk / eu members who won't get a wii u for another 11 days some crumbs.

how's off tv play? any lag issues? resolution problems? impressions, please.

It's fantastic on NSMBU. I think I like it better than the TV.

dkeane

there's a severe lack in impressions in here. come on people, throw uk / eu members who won't get a wii u for another 11 days some crumbs.

It's worked perfectly for me so far.
Was playing Mario and switched to the gamepad when football started yesterday. Then switched back at halftime. It's a great feature.
This morning I wanted to see if Miiverse was working better so I turned the system on without putting the TV on and played a couple minutes of Trine 2.

It's fantastic on NSMBU. I think I like it better than the TV.

It's worked perfectly for me so far.
Was playing Mario and switched to the gamepad when football started yesterday. Then switched back at halftime. It's a great feature.
This morning I wanted to see if Miiverse was working better so I turned the system on without putting the TV on and played a couple minutes of Trine 2.

thank you both.

it sounds great, this is easily the best feature of the wii u and the main reason I want one. only 11 more days left.

Really loved using this feature yesterday. Played NSMBU & BLOPS2 online all day watching NFL games. Everything looked and played great. I'm going to be using this feature a lot. Incredibly happy with it and it's everything I was hoping it would be. The only thing bad about it is that my handheld systems are going to be neglected now.

Salz01

So anybody know why Wii games aren't supported to be played on the controller? Is it due to technology? Or is this something that can be eventually patched in?

Captain N

Sonic & All Stars Racing doesn't have single player Game Pad mode. You see an overhead map and what's coming behind you.

Really loved using this feature yesterday. Played NSMBU & BLOPS2 online all day watching NFL games. Everything looked and played great. I'm going to be using this feature a lot. Incredibly happy with it and it's everything I was hoping it would be. The only thing bad about it is that my handheld systems are going to be neglected now.

How is trying to play BLOPS2 online on the pad? Is it tough to be able to spot other players before they get the jump on you?

Mardak

Add Little Inferno to the list. All of it can be played on the Gamepad, and there's some built-in downtime in the game where you need to wait as deliveries arrive. So you definitely want to have the TV on in the background. I was actually playing with Little Inferno on the Gamepad, football on TV, and sites on my laptop.

How is trying to play BLOPS2 online on the pad? Is it tough to be able to spot other players before they get the jump on you?

I had no problems seeing other players and never felt at a disadvantage playing on the gamepad. Everything looks nice and clean and feels very responsive. I sometimes wonder if I had the advantage since the gamepad has a really low latency. Not sure on that though.

If you like to play games while watching TV and you're into games like this I can't recommend it enough.

nikatapi

So anybody know why Wii games aren't supported to be played on the controller? Is it due to technology? Or is this something that can be eventually patched in?

I guess it has more to do with the way the WiiU handles the wii-mode functionality, it looks similar to how 3DS does DS mode and Wii does GameCube mode. It repricates the original console functionality without any added features which take advantage of any hardware additions.

It seems like a pretty simple technological issue: the game itself has to be programmed to "know" how to switch back and forth. Wii games don't have that coding, and a hardware update can't do anything to change that. Publishers would have to resell their Wii games with updated Wii U infrastructure in order to accommodate this feature (honestly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this happened, at least in the form of "collections").

I think this will be something that many indie games should capitalize on. Include Off TV play and you're going to push sales. If they're downloadable and easy to access from the tablet, I'm pretty much sold.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It seems like a pretty simple technological issue: the game itself has to be programmed to "know" how to switch back and forth. Wii games don't have that coding, and a hardware update can't do anything to change that.

Wrong. The Wii game effectively runs within a walled shell within WiiU. The hypervisor control how the video is directed which is a level above the Wii code. You could simply have an option to run the game either on tv or gamepad before you launch the game.

Please update that list because a few have been listed that are not compatible.

SONIC RACING for one.

Nintendo has to half ass everything.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

SONIC RACING for one.

You must be joking. Surely that must have off screen tv play.

cyberheater

It does. You gotta hold on the gamepad and select the option. Also works great when playing with two people (aka no split screen).

Fab. I was really hoping to play this game via off screen mode.

By the way. Is there not a better phrase we can come up with then off tv play.
How about Padplay?

Kandinsky

SONIC RACING for one.

This post gave me cancer.

I just tried this myself today at a store, I was blown away, but then I remembered MH3U does not support it, oh well. BLOPS looks incredible btw, wow.

bumping in the hope of some updated impressions.

is everyone still impressed / happy with off tv play? are you using it as much as you thought you would? any problems with lag?

EloquentM

aka Mannny

is everyone still impressed / happy with off tv play? are you using it as much as you thought you would? any problems with lag?

no lag or artifacts unless you're pretty far out of the systems optimal range. I'm pretty impressed seeing as I have no tv to play my wii u on at the moment. its basically become the most powerful handheld system I've ever owned lol.

Berg

I've lost a lot of sleep the last week because I was able to bring the gamepad up to bed. TIME FFLLIIEESSSSS

Eh, to some degree, there's less lag on the Gamepad as opposed to the TV since the Gamepad doesn't do any post-processing common in HDTVs. The lag is never greater than to TV this includes the pro controller to TV.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I haven't had a chance to play anything OTHER than pad mode since I was gone for Thanksgiving.

It's pretty neat, I do most of my mobile gaming around the house anyway so this will probably replace the time I was spending with my 3DS.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It took a few days for life to settle in and the offscreen idea to take root but now it has. Been using offscreen play a lot, and I do think it's a great thing.

It helps that IMO the screen is actually high quality. There's more to it than resolution (which isn't actually bad when you see it in person). There seems to be very little blurring or ghosting, colors look good, it's easy to play on for extended periods.

So I would say the off screen concept is a winner. It's causing the Wii U to get more contiguous play time here since someone may be using the TV for the DVR or another game console, while another person keeps playing Wii U stuff.

BossRoss

Banned
Actually the off-screen feature is the only reason I picked up Black Ops 2 for WiiU. I already bought it on PC but I only play the Wii version now because I like to play a few rounds on the couch or in bed.

Its probably my favourite feature of this new system.

Bog

Junior Ace
I've played probably 80% of NSMBU on the pad. No lag, gorgeous.

And whoever said Sonic doesn't support it was dead wrong. Flick down on the title screen.

Blades64

Banned
It took a few days for life to settle in and the offscreen idea to take root but now it has. Been using offscreen play a lot, and I do think it's a great thing.

It helps that IMO the screen is actually high quality. There's more to it than resolution (which isn't actually bad when you see it in person). There seems to be very little blurring or ghosting, colors look good, it's easy to play on for extended periods.

So I would say the off screen concept is a winner. It's causing the Wii U to get more contiguous play time here since someone may be using the TV for the DVR or another game console, while another person keeps playing Wii U stuff.

Niceeee. Sounds good. :)

And for whoever said Sonic doesn't support it was dead wrong. Flick down on the title screen.
One thing is for sure, devs need to standardize that shit. How the hell would I know to do that? In other games, it's buried in the options. Fix this shit.

And whoever said Sonic doesn't support it was dead wrong. Flick down on the title screen.

I can understand why they didn't figure out how to enable it though. We really need devs to come to a consensus on how to enable the feature. Sliding down on the gamepad, unprompted (unless you get the random loading screen tip), is not something I would have tried, had I not googled how to enable it.

pestul

Thanks for this thread. I'm really enjoying off-screen play with this system. It's too bad it won't work from my bedroom directly above the living room though.. maybe this is a good thing for the wife. :p

I've found that reducing the brightness and sound volume has greatly increased the play time between charges.

BTW, Assassin's Creed 3 works great on the pad, but I much prefer having the nice big map down there and enjoying the graphics on the big screen.

Plus a horse call button instead of needing to pull out a tool for it. I didn't see an easy way to equip weapons on the screen, though. I thought they had mentioned that before it came out...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I can understand why they didn't figure out how to enable it though. We really need devs to come to a consensus on how to enable the feature. Sliding down on the gamepad, unprompted (unless you get the random loading screen tip), is not something I would have tried, had I not googled how to enable it.

its implementation on blops is one of the best on the system right now. as soon as you boot it up there's a button on the game pad asking you if you'd like to have your display on the system.

kitzkozan

Now I wish that both Sony and Microsoft upcoming consoles use that feature, but I doubt it. :p It does get a couple of days for the concept to sink in, but once it does I'm sure most people who purchased the console will often play on the gamepad. You want to play on your 50" plasma or 1080p TV at first which is normal, but you simply adapt to the fact that you are no longer restricted to the TV which has it's share of advantages. :]

K444WSR

Just a quick question to the guys that already have it, how good is the range vertically? My bedroom is directly above my living room, so will off-tv play work like that or is it something I'll have to wait till Friday and try for myself?

Tank! Tank! Tank! has off TV play, too. Didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

Overall impressions: playing on the gamepad is great. I've noticed no lag at all. The res looks better than a 3DSXL, so I'm happy.

So far it's pretty good. There's no lag that I can see of. The quality on the screen is definitely not the same(we have a 1080p tv while the gamepad is 480p) but very sharp, very responsive. The smaller screen is more personalized. Also, you can swap back and forth from the offTV play with the Gamepad. My impressions are only with NSMBU and Nano Assault(DLC).

Now, the one thing I have noticed is a slight delay in how NSMBU plays. It's like I can press the A button to bubble but it doesnt take and I fall to my death lol. But that happens whether I'm playing on TV or Gamepad

Just a quick question to the guys that already have it, how good is the range vertically? My bedroom is directly above my living room, so will off-tv play work like that or is it something I'll have to wait till Friday and try for myself?

The thickness of the floor might be too much for it.

Sonic forces you to do it on first play...
it didn't for me. Is that mode specific? My tv was being used for a film when my copy of sonic finished downloading and I started trying to play it and couldn't figure out how to switch to the pad. I believe I picked quick race.

Bog

Junior Ace
GamePad play is the biggest killer feature for me. If only the console/pad had sleep mode, it'd be perfect.

Top Bottom