• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU games with Off TV Play

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
Can anyone advise whether Black Ops' off-tv needs to be setup first on the TV? Or can I just turn on the Wii U and hop straight into the game on the Gamepad? Might pick it up but would need to know if I should borrow an AV cable again just for the setup.

Cheers,

Can anyone advise whether Black Ops' off-tv needs to be setup first on the TV? Or can I just turn on the Wii U and hop straight into the game on the Gamepad? Might pick it up but would need to know if I should borrow an AV cable again just for the setup.

Cheers,
No need for a TV at all. There is a "Display" button on the Gamepad when you launch the game, that enables the pad as your main screen.

Cod in bed at night on the Gamepad with nice headphones is like the best thing ever.

Drago

May wanna update the OP as Rayman doesn't it seems. At least the demo doesn't.
Yeah, I gotta read through the thread again and make a few changes to the OP list.

I'll keep Rayman on the list for now though until it's confirmed the official release won't have any off tv play whatsoever.

Drago

How would it work? They use the gamepad for controlling characters you unlock based on the demo.
I guess they could put the option in for levels that don't require touch controls (ala Castle Rock and Toad Story), and aren't Murfy levels optional? I don't see why they couldn't put it in, even for only portions of the game.

...so ? How smooth is Off-TVP? Any input lag or FPS issues?

I even notice that it runss smoother on some games then on the TV.
For example Darksiders 2. Where on the tv it has some FPS issues in some parts of the dungeons and looks like its doesnt have anti aliasing. But if you play it on the gamepadd the anti aliasing really pops out ! Everything really smooths out (colors,polygons).

Its just like on the 3DS if put you the 3D effect off on certain games the FPS will be doubled and the anti aliasing will be applied I notice a similar effect on the Wii U Gamepad.

One problem I notice some kind off transmision stripe
That effect you have on old VCR videos of you start playing it you see a horizontal strip tear the screen from top to bottom. Its doesnt ruin the gameplay or something its just noticible (Does anyone had a similar experience?). I didnt notice it anymore since the latest system update though.

I even notice that it runss smoother on some games then on the TV.
For example Darksiders 2. Where on the tv it has some FPS issues in some parts of the dungeons and looks like its doesnt have anti aliasing. But if you play it on the gamepadd the anti aliasing really pops out ! Everything really smooths out (colors,polygons).

Its just like on the 3DS if put you the 3D effect off on certain games the FPS will be doubled and the anti aliasing will be applied I notice a similar effect on the Wii U Gamepad.

One problem I notice some kind off transmision stripe
That effect you have on old VCR videos of you start playing it you see a horizontal strip tear the screen from top to bottom. Its doesnt ruin the gameplay or something its just noticible (Does anyone had a similar experience?). I didnt notice it anymore since the latest system update though.

It won't run any smoother, it's still internally being rendered at the same resolution. That is what gives it the AA effect (720p rendered image scaled down to 480p)

There are no frame rate or other issues you should normally have with it, though some people report some really bad range problems which may be the case in heavy wifi filled areas like major cities.

For the people with range issues just literaly connect the Wii-U at the place you want to play it. Since you dont need a video input.

herod

It won't run any smoother, it's still internally being rendered at the same resolution. That is what gives it the AA effect (720p rendered image scaled down to 480p)

There are no frame rate or other issues you should normally have with it, though some people report some really bad range problems which may be the case in heavy wifi filled areas like major cities.

Most games I play are putting different UIs on the gamepad screen vs. the TV screen. It's not just squeezing the same framebuffer to the gamepad.

MrMephistoX

How do you get Off TV play to work for Ninja Gaiden?

You have to go into the options at the start screen took me a while to get there as well lol Merry Xmas and enjoy the game! Also how is Batman? Now that I have a kid many a single player game is in my backlog and I'm not too far into it on PS3.

Does any mighty Wii U aficionado feel like doing me a favour? Since there is some real vague info out there, I'm looking for a list of Wii U games that have co-op where player one can be playing on the pad screen, and player 2 is playing along, but looking at the tv. Purpose would be, I'm going to grab a Wii U for my five year old as his first console (yay), mostly because I think have the screen right there between the buttons will be a big aid. When we play lego batman 2 on xbox he constantly finds himself looking between the two (bless him) and it ramps frustration right up for him.

However, with the first game I checked out, Skylanders Giants, it seems you can't do this, in coop both players have to be looking at the tv, and most reviews are pretty vague on this stuff. Given there's no standard required here by Nintendo, it would be great if anyone could help. Even if you only know one game, I can start compiling a list. Don't worry if it seems like a shit game, he's 5, he doesn't require the highest standards yet.

(So games that meet the offf tv play criteria, but also feature coop where p2 can play on the tv.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does any mighty Wii U aficionado feel like doing me a favour? Since there is some real vague info out there, I'm looking for a list of Wii U games that have co-op where player one can be playing on the pad screen, and player 2 is playing along, but looking at the tv. Purpose would be, I'm going to grab a Wii U for my five year old as his first console (yay), mostly because I think have the screen right there between the buttons will be a big aid. When we play lego batman 2 on xbox he constantly finds himself looking between the two (bless him) and it ramps frustration right up for him.

However, with the first game I checked out, Skylanders Giants, it seems you can't do this, in coop both players have to be looking at the tv, and most reviews are pretty vague on this stuff. Given there's no standard required here by Nintendo, it would be great if anyone could help. Even if you only know one game, I can start compiling a list. Don't worry if it seems like a shit game, he's 5, he doesn't require the highest standards yet.

(So games that meet the offf tv play criteria, but also feature coop where p2 can play on the tv.)
NintendoLand has a few games where one of the players in multi looks entirely at the gamepad,
  • Pikmin Adventure - Olimar plays on the gamepad, but that requires touch controls and is generally harder than being a pikmin.
  • Animal Crossing Sweet Day - guards play on the gamepad, but that player has to control two independent characters at once.
  • Mario Chase - perhaps the most friendly to small children, as Mario's play on the gamepad requires only navigation.
  • Metroid Blast - the gunship is played entirely on the gamepad.
  • Zelda Battle Quest - archer player entirely on the gamepad.
  • Luigi's Ghost Mansion - ghost is entirely on the gamepad.

NintendoLand has a few games where one of the players in multi looks entirely at the gamepad,
  • Pikmin Adventure - Olimar plays on the gamepad, but that requires touch controls and is generally harder than being a pikmin.
  • Animal Crossing Sweet Day - guards play on the gamepad, but that player has to control two independent characters at once.
  • Mario Chase - perhaps the most friendly to small children, as Mario's play on the gamepad requires only navigation.
  • Metroid Blast - the gunship is played entirely on the gamepad.
  • Zelda Battle Quest - archer player entirely on the gamepad.
  • Luigi's Ghost Mansion - ghost is entirely on the gamepad.

Thanks ! I'm going to go after the premium bundle anyway, so I should end up with this. Mario chase particularly sounds good, looks like he'd find it hilarious. Being the ghost and hiding from us would probably give him a chuckle too, these are good games too where I can somewhat control if he gets away or not too, buff him up a little while he learns the buttons and stuff :)

deviljho

I'm looking for a list of Wii U games that have co-op where player one can be playing on the pad screen, and player 2 is playing along, but looking at the tv.

There are a few, but I can't say with certainty. Maybe look into:

New Super Mario Bros. U has a mode where you place blocks with the Gamepad.
Sonic Racing might do this.
Nano Assault Neo does it.
Chasing Aurora on the eshop does it.
Rayman Legend has a similar mode, I believe.
Rabbids Land? but i'm not sure of the quality of the game, lol
Pikmin 3 just might also, when if comes it... in 20xx

And Black Ops 2...

Purpose would be, I'm going to grab a Wii U for my five year old as his first console (yay),

... never mind about Blacks Ops 2 ;)

NintendoLand has a few games where one of the players in multi looks entirely at the gamepad

Also, some of the 1 player games have a special 2 player "assist" mode.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thanks ! I'm going to go after the premium bundle anyway, so I should end up with this. Mario chase particularly sounds good, looks like he'd find it hilarious. Being the ghost and hiding from us would probably give him a chuckle too, these are good games too where I can somewhat control if he gets away or not too, buff him up a little while he learns the buttons and stuff :)
Oh, I can guarantee you he will. Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing and Pikmin Adventure (when played as pikmin) have all been absolute blast with my 5yo and 3yo. NintendoLand family sundays have become the norm in our family.

Kerub

Banned
I've played some Trine 2 in coop looking at the gamepad, and my friend using a Wii classic controller with the TV.

Top Bottom