• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Hiroyuki Ito (FF6/FF9/FF12 game director) return to direct FFXV?

thefro

Your right but getting rid of Toriyama is only going to fix the awful painful story and characters what about the tedious dull un-engaging game play how well they fix that without outside help.

Pretty sure Ito would make the game more fun to play as well.

jimmypython

In the absence of the Ito, FFXIV ARR is as close to FF12 as we can get (actually I found FFXIV ARR is an evolution of FF12 in many ways). It is a shame that not all the FF fans play MMOs, including me.

Stark

Banned
In the absence of the Ito, FFXIV ARR is as close to FF12 as we can get (actually I found FFXIV ARR is an evolution of FF12 in many ways). It is a shame that not all the FF fans play MMOs, including me.

I hope not. I hope its nothing like XII or that will destroy any anticipation I had.

Baleoce

Have you been in the alpha/beta(whatever phase it's in now) testing? If what you say about ARR is true, I really hope my beta app gets accepted. I was a very long-time XI player. Started to play XIV, but stopped after the graphical honeymoon period.

Jarnet87

Toriyama just needs to have his leash pulled.

I mean, the guy has produced some really unique ideas in the past and has contributed positively to some major FF productions. His direction is actually pretty good when you look at it from a base level. The problem (at least with XIII) is in the script and pacing. Toriyama cannot seem to adapt when those two aspects get out of control.

What is one thing that many people credit FFX for doing brilliantly with its more linear design? Pacing.

What is one thing that many people criticized FFXIII for doing poorly with its more linear design? Pacing.

FFX's script was also a lot more tight and had a great balance between the emotional journey of the central characters, as well as the state of the world in the background. I think a lot of that can be credited to a veteran like Nojima.
FFXIII's script tried to do that as well, but wasn't nearly as nuanced and tried to pack in so much information that it just became messy. When you have to rely on the audience to do their own research in order to understand critical story/world details, you are doing something wrong.

Somehow Toriyama has a ton of control now and has been able to headline not one, but two sequels to probably the most critically disappointing FF in the series. How does this happen? Do I even blame Toriyama for that? Not necessarily.

I hated everything about 10, and to me it represents the shift between classic Final Fantasy titles and the new wave of suck. If it wasn't for his work on FF7, the man would be absolutely worthless in my eyes.

I hated everything about 10, and to me it represents the shift between classic Final Fantasy titles and the new wave of suck. If it wasn't for his work on FF7, the man would be absolutely worthless in my eyes.

I didn't HATE 10, but I strongly disliked it and ya, it was the beginning of this terrible new linear approach to the series.

Stark

Banned
I didn't HATE 10, but I strongly disliked it and ya, it was the beginning of this terrible new linear approach to the series.

All FF's have been quite linear to some extent. Problem was the level design (assuming you're talking about that aspect) was made so blatantly obvious.

Shinta

Banned
I think it's obvious that he's working on XV. Why? Because the idea that the main guy who has shaped the series' gameplay over the years and directed FFXII would suddenly be demoted to a social or mobile game designer literally makes absolutely zero sense.

It just flat out doesn't even pass the smell test. Common sense guys. He's going to be working on something big, or he'll be promoted out of game design to a producer/supervisor role.

Also, there are quotes about him being too busy to even meet with designers briefly when Dissidia 012 was coming out and they were working on Vaan. They had to mail it to him for email correspondence saying what he thought of it. What was he so busy with?

fionel

I personally believe that Ito was given the backseat after the commercial flop that was FF12:International. It's a shame though, b/c that man did as much as he could with that game with an obviously limited budget (AFAIR there was almost no new graphics assets added to that game.).

Wazzy

Banned
All I want is a Final Fantasy that looks similar to VIII's artstyle and a translation as good as XII's. I like Ivalice but earlier Final Fantasy towns are my favourite and stand out the most, Midgar, Balamb Garden, Spira, etc.

I also hope they get Uematsu back, even though I liked XIII and XIII-2's OST.

Wasn't Kitase involved with VI? I have mixed feelings towards FFXII. The individual cutscene direction is, for the most part, the best voiced scene direction the series has ever seen. The actual overarching story however has me wondering whether FFXII or FFXIII has better overall story direction. They are both aimless in their own way and very similar in one stretch of gameplay.

Duckroll's post #118 is an incredibly reasonable approach to the hero worship and vilification that of S-E staff that goes on among FF fans. Thank you for that.

Strange that the Final Fantasies he worked on are also my favorites on each platform they appeared on.

I really hope h goes all-out on FF15.
FF15 NEEDS to be amazing after the terrible desaster that was FFXIII.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hiroyuki Ito (director and game designer), Isamu Kamikokuryo (FFXIII art director), Tetsuya Nomura (character designer), and Nobuo Uematsu + Masashi Hamauzu (music) will be a nice team.

Stark

Banned
Hiroyuki Ito (director and game designer), Isamu Kamikokuryo (FFXIII art director), Tetsuya Nomura (character designer), and Nobuo Uematsu + Masashi Hamauzu (music) will be a nice team.

I'd like to see another co-directed game with Kitase and Ito and the VI team. Worked wonders. With your list though, replace Isamu with Akihiko Yoshida as Art Director and I'm good. And put Nojima and Kitase on the story for good measure.

Forgive my ignorance on the matter... These 'ultimania interviews' have been mentioned in a couple places in the thread. Any information on where I might find these? Links or anything? Thanks

Ananaz

Also, there are quotes about him being too busy to even meet with designers briefly when Dissidia 012 was coming out and they were working on Vaan. They had to mail it to him for email correspondence saying what he thought of it. What was he so busy with?
I wonder, could anyone who owns the Dissidia Duodecim Ultimania actually verify this? It seems pretty unbelievable to me that they would hint at "large-scale, unannounced project" in such a way, especially because it sounds exactly like something that one super Ito fanboy at GameFAQs (Galvanize, or whatever his name was) would make up. :p And whether or not he was working on something big two years ago, he certainly doesn't seem too busy these days, given that he was just hanging out at TGS last year, willing to have a completely random interview with Parish unrelated to anything he is/was working on.

Anyway, while I do hope we see Ito return to the series in a meaningful way, I'm more interested in who would be a suitable scenario writer to work with him this time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If ever he directs FFXV, I hope the story and setting isn't as boring and wordy as FFXII's.

In terms of wordiness, FFXII takes the cake over FFXIII.

Labadal

Ito alone wouldn't turn everthing around, but I feel he could help. Personally, I think the gameplay systems in the last FF games have been weaker than those in FFXII and earlier. FFXIII and XIII-2 systems weren't my favorite systems even if I did have some fun with some of the XIII battles. I haven't played FFXIV, so I can't comnent on that. Type-0 battles seemed fairly fun from the demo I played. But I've heard and read about balancing issues. Crisis Core's battles were so-so. I did enjoy the game, and there were some really fun battles. Type-0 improved on its battle system.

Tabata, Ito and Amano + a few others I won't mention now, would certainlu help a future FF game, despite horrible management.

Stark

Banned
If ever he directs FFXV, I hope the story and setting isn't as boring and wordy as FFXII's.

In terms of wordiness, FFXII takes the cake over FFXIII.

As long as I don't have to see something similar to Ivalice. It should be decent enough.

Dunan

Soma

Huh. IX and XII just happen to have my favorite art direction out of all the FF's (haven't played enough of VI to really comment on that) so I guess that's something. Maybe.

In any case, I just hope XV is good.

Kettch

Not my favorite games, VII and VIII were the clear top ones, but I'll take anything over another XIII. So bring it on.

Mr. RHC

I'd love to see what he would do in a Final Fantasy XV. Also hire a decent writer so the series can profit from next gen.

I can't believe people still think Toriyama would have any influence on 15. The only reason FFXIII-2 and LR came out was because XIV failed, Versus is STILL not ready, and XV was not far enough in development to be released this year.

Well, maybe the games are selling just enough.

Jarnet87

Who decided to switch the story from Basch to Vaan during development of 12. Was that one delusional individual or a group of them.

I would be all for something similar to FFIX just as long as it has nothing in common with FFXII. FFXII is one of the most dreadfully boring games I have ever played, I think the only FF game I disliked playing more then FFXII was FFXI which makes way to much sense considering how similar the two games awful battle systems are.

At least FFXI had a really interesting story with memorable characters to drive it outside of the mind numbing battles, FFXII had no such luxury, at least for me.

Pejo

After reading about this guy's pedigree with the Final Fantasy series, I can't help but hope SE would make a good decision (LOL) and put this guy back at the helm for the next mainline Final Fantasy game.

Even with new/young talent under him, I feel overall game direction is what the XIII series was missing. Also, that epic sense of scale and rich lore just wasn't in those games, and that's something that 6 and 9 had in spades, and 12 too if you read a lot of NPC chatter/flavor text.

Oh fuck yeah! Kenji Ito such a ballar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJHa_h_0r8

My face gets rocked

I just had to say that this song was amazing and deserves a quote.

Glass Rebel

Honestly, I'd even take a smaller RPG with deep Ito involvement. If his wiki site is correct he hasn't really worked on anything of note since FFXII:IZS. Why can't he do something like Type-0 or Bravely Default?... just localized of course.

I would be all for something similar to FFIX just as long as it has nothing in common with FFXII. FFXII is one of the most dreadfully boring games I have ever played, I think the only FF game I disliked playing more then FFXII was FFXI which makes way to much sense considering how similar the two games awful battle systems are.

At least FFXI had a really interesting story with memorable characters to drive it outside of the mind numbing battles, FFXII had no such luxury, at least for me.

I felt exactly the same way the first time I played through the game. I didn't fully understand the relationship between all the different kingdoms, couldn't keep track of all the alliances/betrayals, didn't know what the judges were doing or why, and, I couldnt understand why Vaan and Penelo were in the game at all, lol. As a result, the story felt like a terrible disjointed mess from beginning to end. When you don't understand what is going on or why your characters are doing what they're doing, the experience becomes very boring.

I don't want to blame the player for this situation though. FFXII's story is the most mature and complex story in the series IMO, and because of that, it asks for a level of attention that it doesn't really do a good job of easing you in to.

But despite all of that, if I read you correctly, none of that stopped you from completing the game, (a 40 hour plus time investment) and the same was true for me. There was something that kept you going.

If its been a few years since you last played it, I'd recommend you sit down and give it another shot. More than any other game in the series, FFXII's story demands a second playthrough. I hate being that guy who says something along the lines of, "yeah man, you totally have to give the game 40 hours before you get to the good part," but unfortunately, it's the nature of FFXII's story. The good news is that the payoff is absolutely worth it.

It's become my favorite game in the series. I think everyone recognized the outstanding I writing and voicework from the beginning, but perhaps werent able to see it in the context of a complete story. After my second playthrough, everything came together and I was able to enjoy all of that with a good understanding of the the world and its characters.

If you have the time, please give the game another shot. And to anyone else who didn't love the game the first time through, try and give it another go. It's not like we have anything else to play right now anyway, and it still looks really good.

P.S. The monster designs and how they are animated in game is goddamn incredible.

Top Bottom