• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACESmkII

My blood has not boiled with excitement like this in years.

The thought of Igarashi, Yamane and Kojima all reuniting for a kickstarted passion project...

Take my money please.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I didn't liked Iga's latest Castlevania games (for me he was just trying to copy Hagihara's SotN and always fail to get that greatness), so he'll need to impress me big time for this one.

ElTopo

Banned
I just hope they do something a little different instead of just another Symphony. I'd kill for a linear Castlevania that has multiple characters that you find along the way ala Castlevania 3 or Rondo of Blood.

Foffy

Banned
I just hope they do something a little different instead of just another Symphony. I'd kill for a linear Castlevania that has multiple characters that you find along the way ala Castlevania 3 or Rondo of Blood.

I believe he said he was going to make games fans of his would expect him to make. I think that kind of pushes out the idea of a traditional platformer.

The Sword or Whip tease might imply this game has more than one playable character, but I think we're at least looking at a game to follow up his most recent work in this genre, Order of Ecclesia. I found that to actually be an interesting blend of the linear, intentionally-difficult Classicvania games and the more explorative Metroidvania games. It actually had areas focused entirely on platforming with next to no emphasis enemies, which was also a first for him. Usually in his games those sections are for puzzles, but a puzzle to solve is not a platforming section. ;3

Dr. Buni

I wouldn't mind another game on the vein of SotN. Last good one was released in 2008.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

Remember, this isn't a Castlevania game we're getting. It's most likely going to be a game in the vein of older Igarashi games, which more or less excludes the more traditional vanias. If you want the traditional games back, ask Konami. :/

gappvembe

BloodMoney.jpg

Take it!

The first game I KSed was Valdis Story.
If true, this is the KS I've been waiting for.

Remember, this isn't a Castlevania game we're getting. It's most likely going to be a game in the vein of older Igarashi games, which more or less excludes the more traditional vanias. If you want the traditional games back, ask Konami. :/

I think if this is successful then by extension it could mean something good for Castlevania down the line. I know that Konami isn't going to let Iga have the IP or work on a CV game specifically so I'm keeping my expectations in check, but this could be really cool and if done well and supported well it should send a message.

Then again, this is Konami we're talking about.

That first poster makes it seem like blood will be a central theme. I wonder how much they're toning that back thanks to Bloodborne being a thing.

Dascu

I swear to god, if the KS thread is going to be full of bitching about Classicvania vs Igavania I'm going to be really mad.

Haruka

I don't think IGA is the right person to expect that from.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Igarashi is pretty much responsible for why Symphony turned out the way it did. People like to say he's talentless and just ripped SotN off but yeah, that project was pretty much his baby. Later games were made on an extremely tight budget, which is why so many sprites were recycled.

Edit:
He was responsible for the awesome Adventure ReBirth

And yeah. People expecting anything other than a pure IGA Castlevania will be disappointed

sörine

Banned
Edit:
He was responsible for the awesome Adventure ReBirth
Sort of. That was mostly M2's Keisuke Koga, but Iga did get a producer credit.

Actually if Iga needs a development house for his new vania it'd be great if he worked with M2 again.

Pejo

Gold Member
I have yet to back any sort of Kickstarter. This will be my first if it is what we hope it is.

Voliko

I don't think Igarashi has the chops to make such a game. I have no doubt this will be another SOTN clone. As long as Yamane is on board, I am in. The artsyle seems promising looking at that poster.

Konami should just let M2 make another classicvania ;(

KTO

Im excited for this, but a little disappointed that the teaser image looks 8 bit and a little cartoony for my taste.

Never backed a game in my life. Always usually buy the game after it's released (Shovel Knight, MN9, etc). This will be the exception. Iga needs as much as he can get.

varkuriru

Please be true and give me a mix of Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia gameplay and systems. Also a soundtrack from Michiru Yamane of course!

Astral Dog

That first poster makes it seem like blood will be a central theme. I wonder how much they're toning that back thanks to Bloodborne being a thing.

Are you the same person that said this game`s screenshoot of a misty castle is inspired by Bloodborne?
:p
But really, there is certainly space for two games with "blood" on the title or related named things. and thats in the very worst case.

Are you the same person that said this game`s screenshoot of a misty castle is inspired by Bloodborne?
:p
But really, there is certainly space for two games with "blood" on the title or related named things. and thats in the very worst case.

No, that must have been someone else. But for real, Bloodborne is about the best a 3D Castlevania could ever be.

Audette

Iga's previous 2.5/3d titles weren't my favourite, I don't think Konami gave him the time or the funds to really make a solid title. I'm in the crowd hoping for it to be a 2d title

Dascu

Based on the screenshots/art (?) and the description on the flyer in the OP, it's going to have different stages. I think it might be like Order of Ecclesia with several exploration-friendly areas. So, a compromise between Igavania and Classicvania.

Edit: I just noticed the "turn your world upside-down" line. Really subtle, guys.

TreIII

Same.

I just wish they would take experience/levels out of the non-linear games.

Now, that much would be interesting to see.

OoE was off to a good start with the way that no amount of grinding would really save you from actually learning the boss patterns. Wouldn't mind at all if they just continued on that trend and discarded the grindy aspects of IGAvanias entirely.

Voror

Very curious to see where this takes us and what Iga could do without Konami or Castlevania's constraints. Though I'm not sure any amount he'd get from a kickstarter would be all that much higher than what he had to work with before, but then I don't know what the budgets were on those games.

I do like the leveling aspect of it myself though so I do hope that stays in some for.

If the main character is indeed an alchemist then I imagine that would factor into whatever special abilities they'll have like the Sorrow series with souls and OoE with the glyphs.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I didn't liked Iga's latest Castlevania games (for me he was just trying to copy Hagihara's SotN and always fail to get that greatness), so he'll need to impress me big time for this one.

Why do people always namedrop Hagihara as a way to undermine IGA when they have no idea what either of them actually did? Not to mention all the other people that worked on the game and all its successors. Isn't it enough to simply say "the post-SOTN games aren't as good" instead of invoking the name of someone they know nothing about?

I'm not aiming this comment at you specifically, it's just something I see happening a lot lately--not just with Castlevania, but lots of old games.

IGA pushed Castlevania Chronicles PSX, Dracula X PSP and CVA Rebirth during his time, so while he may not have made any traditional CV games he definitely appreciates them, at least.

Come to think of it, a standalone arcade-style DLC game using the same assets would be a great stretch goal, wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom