• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

@MUWANdo

Banned
A 2D HD game with the volume of SOTN would cost way more than could be raised by crowdfunding, I'd wager. Even a pixel game wouldn't be cheap.

I've been drinking a lot tonight, so I'll read this thoroughly in the morning, but all I have to say right now is "COLLECTATHONS ARE DOO DOO GAME. Give me Igarashi Kickstarter."

CO_Andy

You know what I mean. I don't want it to be released only on portables, to avoid playing on a tiny screen with cramped hands, and I would prefer HD visuals over a pixellated retro look. I thought that was clear enough...
Castlevania without pixel art sounds like an awful idea. Few 2D games actually get the HD look right cause most of them look like Flash games.

That's so cool. Dracula is a public domain character, right? There's no reason this new game couldn't have a Dracula in it? Not that it needs it, just throwing ideas around. I don't want the new project constrained by legacy.
Dracula is in the public domain, so as long as it's not too infringing on the Konami Castlevania Dracula, it's certainly possible. Of course, the old school Castlevania games ripped off Universal Studios Bela Lugosi Dracula without a hitch, so I'm not sure if even that stipulation is necessary.

OmegaDL50

Castlevania without pixel art sounds like an awful idea. Few 2D games actually get the HD look right cause most of them look like Flash games.

I disagree, Hi-Res 2D games that use a hand drawn look such as Vanillaware titles don't look like Flash games at all.

Also generally hand drawn art holds much better at higher resolutions than pixel art. There is a level of scalability involved.

And if this is a kickstarter I would think IGA would be budget concious since raising money to develop the game will be much different as opposed to say having the corporate backing of a big publisher for instance.

If by some awesome goal IGA's kickstarter manages to raise Mighty Number 9 levels of funding, or even something like Divinity: Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity.

It would still not impossible to have a game with sprite quality on par with the likes of something comparable to Guilty Gear XX, KOFXIII, or a Vanillaware release.

Dracula is in the public domain, so as long as it's not too infringing on the Konami Castlevania Dracula, it's certainly possible. Of course, the old school Castlevania games ripped off Universal Studios Bela Lugosi Dracula without a hitch, so I'm not sure if even that stipulation is necessary.

My understanding is that the character and his appearance are so commonplace that they have become genericized, especially with Bram Stoker's source material in the public domain. Universal or Konami would have had to have introduced original elements that were not present in the original mythology for a distinction to be made.

The "Dracula" look with the black and red cape, the high collar, the fangs and the wolf/bat/mist powers would all be fair game. You can really do anything with him in that case.

Yeah, her more recent work for Koei's Musou series actually turned out pretty well. Not as much in the way of "same face syndrome", either, though that may be due to them being based off established designs.

Nobunaga
Nouhime
Zhenji
Sima Shi

Sima Shi looks like your average Ayami Kojima character, I guess her style did not evolve at all. We will see what happen, I rather have her doing female characters than male characters.

Faustek

Hah, was doritoing around for info about this yesterday wondering when Iga-sans Castlemania would be revealed :)

This needs to be on all platforms including Vita. Perfect platform for it.

Perfect as long as you don't want to afk level your Sword familiar a la SOTN :) But other than that? Yes perfect :D

Foffy

Banned
Hah, was doritoing around for info about this yesterday wondering when Iga-sans Castlemania would be revealed :)

Perfect as long as you don't want to afk level your Sword familiar a la SOTN :) But other than that? Yes perfect :D

If you're referring to /v/, I actually made a thread there asking if people were hyped yesterday. Maybe you saw mine?

Not many posted in it. :p

It still boggles my mine Konami never made a brand new SOTN sequel for XBLA / PSN last gen when everyone was making follow ups to their retro IP (Megaman 9, Sonic 4, New Mario Bros, Bionic Commando, etc)

Foffy

Banned
It still boggles my mine Konami never made a brand new SOTN sequel for XBLA / PSN last gen when everyone was making follow ups to their retro IP (Megaman 9, Sonic 4, New Mario Bros, Bionic Commando, etc)

Their retro line was the ReBirth trilogy, which was exclusive to WiiWare. Outside of that, I think they tried to revive Contra with Hard Corps: Uprising, but Konami was Konami: only Contra fans knew it was a Contra game.

Faustek

If you're referring to /v/, I actually made a thread there asking if people were hyped yesterday. Maybe you saw mine?

Not many posted in it. :p

Hah, yeah saw that as well but by doritoing I was referring to Googling :D

Just had this notion that something must have been or would be said about it yesterday so I was searching everywhere :) Even ventured in on 2chan and got stuck in the English thread :p

Rich!

Slightly off topic but...I only discovered today that there is a SOTN port on XBLA.

It looks absolutely terrible - the image quality looks crap, and the scaling and border is horrible.

I don't care regardless as I have the actual PS1 version on both the disc and via retroarch, but am I right in assuming the XBLA version is poor?

Vamphuntr

Slightly off topic but...I only discovered today that there is a SOTN port on XBLA.

It looks absolutely terrible - the image quality looks crap, and the scaling and border is horrible.

I don't care regardless as I have the actual PS1 version on both the disc and via retroarch, but am I right in assuming the XBLA version is poor?

It's poor because at the time it came out there was a file size limitations for XBLA arcade games.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well it's actually one of the best versions to speed run and for all intents and purposes it's the same as the PSX version aside from some glitching, quicker loadtimes, and missing some FMV.

TreIII

Sima Shi looks like your average Ayami Kojima character, I guess her style did not evolve at all. We will see what happen, I rather have her doing female characters than male characters.

To be fair? Not entirely excusing Kojima here, but...that's pretty much what Sima Shi's original design looked like in the first place. In that light, it just showed how much she was able to slide right in and make Koei's pretty boys fit her style.

Faustek

Well it's actually one of the best versions to speed run and for all intents and purposes it's the same as the PSX version aside from some glitching, quicker loadtimes, and missing some FMV.

And how many does that? Nah SOTN is a pleasure game :) and missing all the fmvs makes it really disappointing. What was MS thinking by limiting the sizes of arcade games?? :/

Edit:

Oooh, Saturn version ftw! Forgot that for a second lol
One can always visit this old thread for SOTN.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=513151

Foffy

Banned
According to user Shiroi Koumori on the Castlevania Dungeon, the user IGAVANIA uses the same email as Quarterwomann on Twitter.

This is the same person doing all of these teases. Hot damn. Not a coincidence anymore: this is matter of fact legit.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
And how many does that? Nah SOTN is a pleasure game :) and missing all the fmvs makes it really disappointing. What was MS thinking by limiting the sizes of arcade games?? :/

Oooh, Saturn version ftw! Forgot that for a second lol

Well it's a pretty serviceable version if you only have an Xbox 360 atm of it's available platforms. :p IQ is fine so I'm not sure if he has the blur filter on.
qCoHgOr.png
I pretty much have it on everything but Saturn because it runs like poo. :p

Dremark

Banned
Whatever he's working on and whenever he's ready I am going to support it crowd funding or otherwise.

If it is indeed a Castlevania type game and it looks like that may indeed be the case he should announce it soon. I don't think the subgenre has ever been more in fashion than it is right now and as was mentioned in another thread the level of hatred for Konami is so high there are people who may back him simply out of spite.

Really hope this is something which is going down soon, if the project is what I'm hoping for I will back for a good amount, regardless of what he's doing next he has my support though.

TreIII

According to user Shiroi Koumori on the Castlevania Dungeon, the user IGAVANIA uses the same email as Quarterwomann on Twitter.

This is the same person doing all of these teases. Hot damn. Not a coincidence anymore: this is matter of fact legit.

The plot thickens...!

Foffy

Banned
I'm OK with that.

*goes to play monster Hunter which looks worse than the first iteration*

Edit: Ooh, Saturn version is poo? :( have a version lying around but no Saturn since it died ages ago :(

It has two new areas, a consistent Richter sprite, but awful performance.

I personally prefer the PSP version, but that's only on a homebrew system that allows the game to be true 16:9.

It has two new areas, a consistent Richter sprite, but awful performance.

I personally prefer the PSP version, but that's only on a homebrew system that allows the game to be true 16:9.

I completely disregarded the PSP version when saw that I had to deal with shitty borders, not to mention the new awful lifeless voice acting. Barely got past the prologue.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I completely disregarded the PSP version when saw that I had to deal with shitty borders, not to mention the new awful lifeless voice acting. Barely got past the prologue.

Well you can switch to the Norio Wakamoto voiced Dracula in Japanese, but yeah the PSP version isn't too great.

Nicko

I'm shaking with anticipation!! Can't believe this is probably really real!!!!!!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nonsense. Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere, Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Ori and the Blind Forest, Aaru's Awakening, Guilty Gear Xrd*, Ghost Song....

* Yes I know it's actually 3D but it looks like 2D and it's gorgeous

CrisKre

This. This would make for such a wonderful wonderful last 5 days (yooke-leylee sais hi). I would support this with all my might.

jackal27

Banned
I am so excited for this. What a time to be playing video games.

While well established and influential companies in a multibillion dollar industry burn themselves to the ground, their creators strike out on their own to create their personal passion projects.

Dascu

Thanks for the thread, Foffy.

Curious to see what the scope of the project is, the people involved, desired budget and estimated release schedule.

By the way, any info on the new studio that Koji Igarashi set up recently?

http://artplay.co.jp/

Nosgoroth

If the theories hold and there's an announcement tomorrow on the full moon, I'm going to violently explode into a thousand pieces that will eventually back the Kickstarter individually.

Yazuka

So this is really happening? I don't want to get hyped, but man... I've wanted a new IGAvania for the longest time.

MrT-Tar

If this happens, it'll make not only my day, but my month, maybe even my 2015.

I also need to play the DS Igavanias, I've only played (and loved) the GBA ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom