• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Uncharted 4 be delayed? Also, here's an assortment of random job postings.

Amir0x

Banned
lol no its not.

I don't know man. Demon and Dark Soul's were two of the greatest games of its respective generation. Hell, of all time.

Bloodborne has the soul of those games, but changes the dynamic into a faster, dodgy type of battle system with transforming weaponry. It's amazing what this does to your strategic action options. You add that to the traditional hardcore design of these games and the dripping, intensely dark atmosphere and you have generational gold, Gary! GOLD!

I would say Bloodborne will certainly be giving the best of the best competition this year, unless something went terribly wrong in development and the demos were extremely manipulative and failed to show what the game was really like. Because the demos played wonderfully, and I've heard not a single negative impression from those who got to play into expanded areas.

x-Lundz-x

Well, there is no official release date so how can it really be delayed other than we are all expecting it to come out this year?

Jingo

I said this like a week ago and someone posted here the last uncharted releases , "in naughty dogs we trust" bla bla bla, never believed for one second it a holiday release, the delays came o stay at new gen.

phanphare

Banned
I don't know man. Demon and Dark Soul's were two of the greatest games of its respective generation. Hell, of all time.

Bloodborne has the soul of those games, but changes the dynamic into a faster, dodgy type of battle system with transforming weaponry. It's amazing what this does to your strategic action options. You add that to the traditional hardcore design of these games and the dripping, intensely dark atmosphere and you have generational gold, Gary! GOLD!

I would say Bloodborne will certainly be giving the best of the best competition this year, unless something went terribly wrong in development and the demos were extremely manipulative and failed to show what the game was really like. Because the demos played wonderfully, and I've heard not a single negative impression from those who got to play into expanded areas.

Jerry?

Aikidoka

Doesn't Naughty Dog have a propensity for delaying their games?
I wonder if Hennig leaving is affecting them at all

I could see it happening but the job postings are not an indication of that. It's more the precedent they set with TLOU after fucking up UC3s launch. The studio is huge though, one would assume they have the manpower to get the game out on time but the game hardly had the 'normal' development lifecycle with the leads getting replaced. But in terms of years it will (quite unbelievably so) have been 2 1/2 years since TLOU released if UC4 releases this November, seeing how the engine is not built from scratch and the size of the studio, the game should be ready this year.

I don't know the ins and outs of game development though, to me 250 people in a game studio sounds like a lot but who knows about the split. I've been waiting for GG to reveal their new IP for about 4 years now I think and MM last console game was over 4 years ago so yeah, developing games takes a long time I guess. :p

Pretty much.

Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were extremely well received, both critically and commercially and serious GOTY candidates in their respective release years.

This is a game made from the same foundation with enhanced visuals and exciting gameplay changes. It may be a new "IP" but it's still a Souls game from a company that had made 3 of them. It's hard to see it being anything less than another GOTY contender, they would really have to fuck something up badly.

A good indicator if it will be ready though is if it's playable come this E3. Not a "hands off demo" or them showing you another game play scene but playable playable. It'll instill a lot of confidence. I think ND definitely WANTS it to come out this year but it's not looking to good.

Wait, does Naughty Dog usually have playable builds on E3 grounds?
I don't remember that being the case. They usually have a mind melting demo on the Sony presentation, though.

Amir0x

Banned

supposed to be, but I wanted the alliteration. :D

Pretty much.

Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were extremely well received, both critically and commercially and serious GOTY candidates in their respective release years.

This is a game made from the same foundation with enhanced visuals and exciting gameplay changes. It may be a new "IP" but it's still a Souls game from a company that had made 3 of them. It's hard to see it being anything less than another GOTY contender, they would really have to fuck something up badly.

Yup, but one thing I do appreciate is they are not merely resting on their laurels and recreating Dark Souls again. Their approach to combat gameplay in Bloodborne fundamentally alters the strategic approach to enemy encounters. It maintains the hardcore, unforgiving nature of its spiritual predecessors, and it's totally fair in that if you understand and properly utilize the gameplay systems you will always come out ahead (except for some bosses which require additional learning). But you are having to be constantly on the move, and learning the ins and outs of your transforming weaponry is now a critical component to coming out ahead in fights. You can always see yourself gradually improving, and that progress is tangible because the game is so superbly designed and has such a spectacular difficulty curve. It continually breaks you against the rocks, until you're some super refined version of yourself.

FATALITY

Banned
Fair point, they likely hashtag it that way for that reason.

Either way for their sake, I hope they are very far along in the development.

cFoHq1o.gif

Fair point, they likely hashtag it that way for that reason.

Either way for their sake, I hope they are very far along in the development.

Naughty Dog have shipped many many games, including an entire trilogy in 4 years (Uncharted 1-3) and TLOU 2 years later.

I am sure they know what they're doing

the game was in development since after Uncharted 3 shipped, wasn't it?
Naughty Dog is a responsible studio, I doubt they to delay the game. Eventhough, a shorter game would be better than a delayed game.

the game was in development since after Uncharted 3 shipped, wasn't it?
Naughty Dog is a responsible studio, I doubt they to delay the game. Eventhough, a shorter game would be better than a delayed game.

Yeah, I think early development and a small team from the time Uncharted 3 shipped, then probably ramped up significantly after TLOU and Left Behind were done.

It's almost certainly very far along.

Naughty Dog have shipped many many games, including an entire trilogy in 4 years (Uncharted 1-3) and TLOU 2 years later.

I am sure they know what they're doing

And they expressed regret with comitting to a date so early in the development of Uncharted 3.

I doubt they would make the same mistake twice, and I think they setting a 2015 release window is them being as cautious as possible.

And they expressed regret with comitting to a date so early in the development of Uncharted 3.

I doubt they would make the same mistake twice, and I think they setting a 2015 release window is them being as cautious as possible.

I'm not saying it won't be delayed, just that I'm sure that it's significantly well into development. So yeah I do agree.

At first i thought yes, it would definitely be delayed. But i dont know. Something tells me the game will be out by the holidays this year. Maybe ot was the demo, i dont know. But i think naughty dog is rolling and the game will be shipped this year.

I hope lol

jett

D-Member
that rushed-out game is sitting on metacritic with score of 92.

And yet it was clearly rushed, shipping without ND staples like bonus costumes or cheats. Even shipped without motion blur being enabled, someone literally forgot to flip a switch. I'm not even getting into the state of the actual game itself. :p

Alo0oy

Banned
Sucker Punch hired over 40 people between E3 2013 & the game's release in march, that's just one example of a studio ramping up production, it happens all the time, 8 months is a very long time, let's not forget that Naughty Dog is a studio that made Uncharted 2 from scratch in only two years, & Uncharted 4 has been in development since 2011.

Servbot24

Banned
And yet it was clearly rushed, shipping without ND staples like bonus costumes or cheats. Even shipped without motion blur being enabled, someone literally forgot to flip a switch. I'm not even getting into the state of the actual game itself. :p

If costumes and motion blur are the extend of the damage then I'm perfectly fine with them "rushing".

soultron

Banned
GDC is this week, that's why there's been an increase in job postings. Also, just because they're hiring, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's for UC4 or even TLOU2 -- it could be something else entirely.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If costumes and motion blur are the extend of the damage then I'm perfectly fine with them "rushing".
There was also the aiming issue, which was a pretty big deal. Still, I have no idea why anyone is talking about an Uncharted 4 delay as if it's set in stone. Nothing is pointing to it and it's too soon for even the studio to know.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What the fuck?

This thread reads like a Tales From My Ass post. Just a bunch of conjectures.

Way to jump to conclusions. Jeez.

i can see sony push for uncharted 1-3 HD if uncharted 4 gets delayed

god i hope uncharted 4 releases this year , last holiday season i let it slide but not gonna let it slide this holiday season, i need a big gun and no little big planet 3 wasn't it :(

Alo0oy

Banned
Well if that true this fall it'll be Halo 5, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Quantum Break and Forza 6 vs....nothing

Congratulations, you just turned yet another thread into a console wars thread, I hope you're proud of yourself. Unbelievable. Can't we have a thread where we can discuss the given subject in peace?

phen0m24

Pretty sure I got an email from WMT (hey couldn't pass up that pre-order deal) saying it would now be coming by 12/31 (placeholder, I know) instead of whatever the expected release date was in October.

UberTag

Well if that true this fall it'll be Halo 5, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Quantum Break and Forza 6 vs....nothing
Well, PS4 won't have nothing.
We'll have Until Dawn... and ummm, perhaps some new DLC for The Order: 1886... and a whole bunch of PS4-exclusive indies thanks to parity clause... and well... lots of great third-party titles.
Plus, the Uncharted Remastered collection. It'll be a wondrous 2015 holiday season.

Aikidoka

I can promise you that one person who left 2 years or so ago is not what is causing this imaginary delay.

Ah damn, some journalists were recently talking about it so I thought it had just happened.
She actually left March 3 2014 (last year) - I didn't pay attention to the '14 part.

Alo0oy

Banned
And somehow PS4 will still sell more, crazy right?

Well, PS4 won't have nothing.
We'll have Until Dawn... and ummm, perhaps some new DLC for The Order: 1886... and a whole bunch of PS4-exclusive indies thanks to parity clause... and well... lots of great third-party titles.
Plus, the Uncharted Remastered collection. It'll be a wondrous 2015 holiday season.

I bet that upsets you....

Don't quote him guys, it's just gonna derail the thread & bring out the console warriors from both sides, let's just let it go.

benjammin

I'm assuming it's going to be delayed simply because every AAA title seems to get delayed these days. I'm hoping it's not, but there will be plenty coming out this year to keep me busy. Just make it the best that it can be and I'll buy it

border

DS2 was last year, and DS2 gets re-released in a month. I think genre fatigue and the March release date will probably prevent Bloodborne from being much of a contender in year-end awards (outside the RPG category at least). There's nothing to prevent it from being a great game though.

Hoje0308

Banned
Don't quote him guys, it's just gonna derail the thread & bring out the console warriors from both sides, let's just let it go.

Ummmm....

On topic: What's the story here? Devs hire all the time, especially as needed once development is ramping up toward release. Are we going to do this with every studio and every game, or is this just another stupid attempt at reviving the "What's happening at Naughty Dog?" narrative that was so popular with the kids last year?

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Ummmm....

On topic: What's the story here? Devs hire all the time, especially as needed once development is ramping up toward release. Are we going to do this with every studio and every game, or is this just another stupid attempt at reviving the "What's happening at Naughty Dog?" narrative that was so popular with the kids last year?

I know, and all of the people that are saying they believe it will be delayed are basing it on what?

There have been no hints that the game was behind meeting a Q4 2015 Release, nothing. The fact that Naughty Dog is hiring people doesn't mean anything. They could be starting up preproduction on a new IP, on TLOU2, or ramping up for the final production phases of Uncharted 4.

As has been pointed out, this is not some unique situations considering other dev teams have went on hiring sprees in the past in the months leading up to their games being released. I dont ever remember a conversation on here where a development team (especially one which has quite a few job openings throughout the years) posting job openings was somehow connected to a game being delayed.

It just seems like some people think this game went into development last year after the PS4 was released or something. This game has been in production for a while now. I think the game will release this year since there is no evidence or believable rumors to hint it wont.

Servbot24

Banned
I know, and all of the people that are saying they believe it will be delayed are basing it on what?

Lots of people will just read a headline and ignore the content if the headline reinforces a narrative they enjoy.

For example, if you post a thread about Apple having a bad policy, then link to an unrelated article, the thread will still be full of "fuck apple" posts.

Top Bottom