• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

Will Wednesday's Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Trailer be a generational leap in visual fidelity?

• Yes, it will blow everything else away

• No, it will look incrementally better than Miles Morale

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here is the initial SpiderMan 2 Reveal trailer.

With that in remind, here is a comparison between the SpiderMan 1 E3 2016 Reveal Trailer vs Release vs Remaster. (It looks like the game was downgraded from the Reveal Trailer)

Yes or No?

Then explain why: Is it because you believe that the Gameplay Trailer will be downgraded from the reveal trailer like the 2016 Reveal Trailer or will it look like the reveal trailer (or better) but still not be a generation leap?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I dont care about graphics. I want a stable boss fight. Once that makes me go out and not get bored.
First one boss fight was snooze fest. It bored to death, due to how predictable the enemy was. And goons were just enemies with high HP.
The AI was stupid as fk. Especially that mary jane mission.

bitbydeath

Poll needs a third option. I think it’ll look significantly better but I also think we’ll see better looking games at the conference.

HighPoly

Banned
guys I don't think Spider Man needs to be realisct, and this is not a personal taste, cause Insomaniac use to make cartoony games, a mix of realism with cartoons. The most important thing to me, at this point is the number of NPCs on the streets and the number of cars, with destructible physics when Spider punch and push them. A giant city with a good ray tracing on buildings, and off course! More geometry in Characters

Contextually compared to Insomniac's Spiderman 1 and Miles Morales? Yes, it will be.

What I really want is for them to replicate the feeling of scenes like these:

Just add a tiny bit more weight to the swinging, make the camera dynamically pull in a bit closer if it recognizes that you're only swinging and not doing combat, and make the sound design(especially the wind sounds) way better to emphasize that adrenaline rush of swinging through NY. I think that will help make it 'feel' more next gen along with the graphical jump.

And add a first person mode

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Generational leap vs original release? Absolutely. People who have played Ratchet knows what’s in store, people on the outside will be complaining that somehow Peter Parker doesn’t look real life in photos.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I'd expect a solid leap objectively, but with how good the last games looked and diminishing returns as we edge closer and closer to photorealism, I'd expect most people (myself included) not so notice that big of a difference, at least not via a stream.

We'll see though.

Hunnybun

Ratchet was a generational leap from the PS4 game, so I don't see why it shouldn't be.

The only slight doubt I have is around how exactly they reuse the same city and assets (which they presumably will) and still make it look like a major upgrade. I mean, I'm confident they'll manage it, but there's no doubt that it'll share more of its DNA with the old game than a new generation sequel typically would.

But yeah, in short I'm expecting it to be spectacular.

Pedro Motta

Developers really shouldn't be scared of color grading their games like they do in movies. The stylized look it's what makes it look good.

For instance the Matrix demo, is heavy color graded so it has that incredible film look, if you remove the color grading it looks more "gamey".

We already have the geometry/model detail, texture detail, lighting is almost there, but usually games don't have that filmic finish that makes all the difference.

Fbh

No, I think it will look better but it won't be mindblowing

Though honestly I'd much rather get the exact same visuals as Miles Morales and get a generational leap in gameplay and world design. I enjoyed Spiderman Ps4 but I alrady found Miles Morales a bit boring and repetitive, I really hope this one isn't just more of the same with nicer graphics

Jormatar

It's gonna be mix of graphical fidelity and flawless movement that will blow people away. The animation quality will be out of this world.

I hope the leak from some toy set turns out to be true and you will have a wingsuit in the game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I expect it to be this gens Uncharted 4 moment.

Its coming at around the same time frame that game did.

Where studios have had enough time to fool around with the console, and leave last gen behind. Should be one of the best looking games ever made upon release.

Topher

Gold Member

Sure.....if we were getting that game looking like that right now on consoles then I think that would be a compelling argument. My point is that games are typically made within the confines of console specs, not top of the line PCs, and we haven't seen true generational leaps there in a really long time. And I don't expect we ever will again. By the time that game releases, there will have already been more incremental advances and that very well may just look like the next one. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

And that is not a generational leap. It is just excellent artistic use of lighting.

There really are not going to be any generational leaps anymore, just incremental upgrades. That's not saying that we won't get a combination of things that could wow us, but never again are we going to have that PS3 KZ2 trailer moment compared to whatever was on the PS2.

To OP, I answered No.(obviously) it would look really good though.

Not expecting a crazy leap. Same with MK1 when we get footage.
One day a fighting game is going to surprise us by pulling the camera back from the 'CGI' footage, starting a round, showing two guys playing on controllers live on stage during a livestream. My bet is on MK doing it first.

Larxia

Contextually compared to Insomniac's Spiderman 1 and Miles Morales? Yes, it will be.

What I really want is for them to replicate the feeling of scenes like these:

Just add a tiny bit more weight to the swinging, make the camera dynamically pull in a bit closer if it recognizes that you're only swinging and not doing combat, and make the sound design(especially the wind sounds) way better to emphasize that adrenaline rush of swinging through NY. I think that will help make it 'feel' more next gen along with the graphical jump.

And add a first person mode

I agree about the weight, I really felt like something was lacking in the first game, it looks amazing and all, but I was really missing that feeling of... falling, dangerously, with a lot of adrenaline, and then suddenly swinging and stopping the fall. It's hard to explain, but it just felt more like flying I'd say, that feeling of rush that you can get when doing attractions and all, in your stomach, it's something similar to this (obviously less intense in a game) that was missing.

I think another reason for this is also that it was too assisted in my opinion, it looks perfect visually but that's also because it's very scripted and assisted, you're never in any danger of failing one of your moves, you're not at risk, so the adrenaline is obviously much less present, if at all.
I'd like a mode with more manual control, where you can play more with the physics and experiment things, similar to the ps2 games, but with today's technique and production.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And that is not a generational leap. It is just excellent artistic use of lighting.

There really are not going to be any generational leaps anymore, just incremental upgrades. That's not saying that we won't get a combination of things that could wow us, but never again are we going to have that PS3 KZ2 trailer moment compared to whatever was on the PS2.

That UnRecord video is absolutely a generational leap, the shit looks indistinguishable from real life at points. And the animation is God Tier.

If a game came out and looked like that, I would lose my fucking shit.

You are talking more in terms of the technical nature of things, whereas I'm thinking more of the end result. It doesn't matter to me if it's all lighting tricks at the end of the day. If the game genuinely looks like a leap from the last generation(and isn't technically possible on it), then the public will consider it a leap. I think you need to look at the comments of that video, or any of the buzz it created on multiple outlets. It wasn't for no reason. That game is the leap. Eventually that type of leap will be present in more open world games going forward.

In terms of that KZ2 reveal, it's all contextual to a ton of factors. For example, did you play games like Half Life 2 before you saw that presentation? Were you younger and more excitable(less jaded) during those years? Are you the type who prefers E3 crowd reactions? etc. If any of these aside from the HL2 question is a yes, then it suddenly makes a lot of sense why nothing will ever beat that moment for you. In the fight against nostalgia, nostalgia always wins.

radewagon

Is it weird that I don't care? I'm not one of those "graphics don't matter" types, because they totally matter. But I'm fine with how Spidey already looks. Just give me more compelling Spidey gameplay and I'm fine.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Man some of you are in for a shock. Lets review some of the comments.

Similar to Miles Morales: Really? Morales was built for the ps4. Yes they offered a ps5 upgrade but I doubt they put a ton of work into it considering they have Spiderman 2 on their plate.

It's the same game engine so no big improvement? Oh really now? So you are to tell me that a game Running on Unreal Engine 2 vs Unreal Engine 5 will run the same? It is the same engine so any unreal engine runs the same right? Yes same engine but we do not know how much improvement has been made on said engine.

One last thing. The developers not longer have to hamper the ps5 by making games compatible for the ps5. When you make cross generation games there is not way to fully utilize the better system. There are processes the older machines cannot do so games had to be scaled back so the same product could run on both systems. This is built only for the PS5 only. I expect a balls out jaw dropping show.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You are talking more in terms of the technical nature of things, whereas I'm thinking more of the end result. It doesn't matter to me if it's all lighting tricks at the end of the day. If the game genuinely looks like a leap from the last generation(and isn't technically possible on it), then the public will consider it a leap. I think you need to look at the comments of that video, or any of the buzz it created on multiple outlets. It wasn't for no reason. That game is the leap. Eventually that type of leap will be present in more open world games going forward.

In terms of that KZ2 reveal, it's all contextual to a ton of factors. For example, did you play games like Half Life 2 before you saw that presentation? Were you younger and more excitable(less jaded) during those years? Are you the type who prefers E3 crowd reactions? etc. If any of these aside from the HL2 question is a yes, then it suddenly makes a lot of sense why nothing will ever beat that moment for you. In the fight against nostalgia, nostalgia always wins.
No... I am not nostalgic at all. I just know what we had before that reveal, and I also know since that reveal, there has not been anything that was that much leap from previous gen to the next-gen.

And I do get what you are saying and what you think, and to that, I will counter with this....

At times, that shit looks like real life too, and its available also on the PS4. looking at the technical nature of games, which is what really should be looked at if we are talking about generation leaps, the law of diminishing returns I real, and we are now at a point where there isn't any actual technical imitation as to why we can't have photorealistic graphics in games. The limitation now comes down to artistry, and most importantly, time.

saintjules

I'm going to have a pen and paper and count all the puddles. Insomniac will be gods if the release version has more puddles than this week's gameplay section

I can't believe the puddle was a center of controversy around this game. Then again, most AAA games have some sort of level of controversy.

No... I am not nostalgic at all. I just know what we had before that reveal, and I also know since that reveal, there has not been anything that was that much leap from previous gen to the next-gen.

And I do get what you are saying and what you think, and to that, I will counter with this....

At times, that shit looks like real life too, and its available also on the PS4. looking at the technical nature of games, which is what really should be looked at if we are talking about generation leaps, the law of diminishing returns I real, and we are now at a point where there isn't any actual technical imitation as to why we can't have photorealistic graphics in games. The limitation now comes down to artistry, and most importantly, time.

It's hard to explain, but that Ride 4 footage feels like live action movie CGI, whereas the Unrecord footage looked like actual real life bodycam footage, so much so that it can be mistaken for something from liveleak. I have the same feelings about Ride 4 that I have towards the lastest in Forza, Assetto Corsa, and Gran Turismo. They're close but still feel behind. That Unrecord footage felt like a step ahead.

At this point it just comes down to opinion vs opinion, but what I can say is that there is no racing game in the world, this past generation, that sparked the type of reaction that Unrecord did. You have to at least acknowledge that.

Just looking at what insomniac achieved on PS5 only with ratchet has my expectations quite high. expecting a big leap over the first game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm kinda expecting it to look about the same as it did in the trailer, I might be hyping myself too much though.

I just wanna see Captured on PS5 on trailers, thats all.

So glad Sony started using the specific disclaimers. Even if something is running on PC. They did that with one of the showing of FFXVI.

Banned
"generational differences" are a thing of the past.
it's not really possible to have a truly "next gen" looking game on current consoles because we have reached a point of diminishing returns.

having 4x the polygons today looks almost identical at first glance to not having 4x the polygons.

having 4x the texture resolution also only will be noticeable up close.

having higher res post processing, higher res transparencies, 4x the amount of particles...
it all wouldn't be noticeable at first glance unless pointed out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom