• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

pvpness

I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest.

Haha. I don't think I'm ever going to retire. I don't think I'm ever going to stop gaming either. Probably right up until I die, or until they can upload my shit Tron style.

Trago

Of course, provided I don't have a bad case of arthritis.

my7884P.jpg

Goddard

Depends on a number of factors. Assuming in my old age my hands are still functioning properly i.e. no arthritis or motor issues, and also assuming that good games are still being made, I will definitely still game. Unfortunately motor issues are a common thing, reaction time fades over time, and the game industry is heading (at least in the short term) in a bad direction, so it is hard to predict.

It's in my blood! My grandma is almost 80 and still has her original SNES connected to her TV. She plays Super Mario World & Wario's Woods the most.

RowdyReverb

I'll probably have to give up competitive games unless they are slow enough for my eventually feeble mind to keep up with. But yeah, I hope to play in retirement. 40 years ago, Ping was hot shit. Imagine how good gaming tech will be 40 years from now.

kenta

Has no PEINS
This is exactly why I'm so big on physical media whenever possible. I have no idea if Xbox Live or PSN will be around by the time the kids are all out of the house and I don't want to have to worry about that when I finally get around to playing Vanquish

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What's weird is that the people I use to see at GameStop every single time are not the same. You see people that were probably 4 or 5 when the Dreamcast came out.

I wonder what happens to a lot of people. I remember talking to staff and people about the newest Final Fantasy or JRPG. Now it's a whole other crowd trading games in and people shopping at the store. That's not saying they quit, but the people that were BIG into Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii aren't there. I remember when Halo 2 had people all over playing it for fun.

I buy mostly digital, so I tend to catch onto the trend at stores. I use to work in retail. I worked at EB Games and K-Mart electronics. I remember Babbages when I wasn't even a teen yet. GameStop probably doesn't get the same people in there anymore because you can buy games without doing everything that comes with it. I use to go to just about all the midnight launches in town. I'd see the same group every now and then. Now I have no idea. I have no idea to be honest. I'm enjoying it as much as I can and I'm about out of my 20s. I remember playing Mario Kart and the Genesis at Sears and shopping centers as a kid.

You guys who are just getting into your 20's probably don't get the awful stigma that comes with age. I remember being amazed and thought it would last forever and then the consoles change, you get older, and the people around you don't like games anymore. You also see people online who are younger and you have to ignore them rather than engage with them. I'm not stating anything that isn't the obvious or something someone should think about.

I've followed the industry since I was old enough to read gaming magazines and the back of boxes. I've noticed everything change after a while. Now it's like a lot of people don't like what's coming out or so forth. I get annoyed by games that include these leads that are in their mid 20s and you're suppose to care about their cause or something comes out that looks uninteresting.

Some days I think it's forever. When I see the young crowd just dominate over people my age then I get a bit worried. I enjoy the games I like for my own reasons. I think when Fallout or something huge comes out it'll be different. There's always a big turn around when tech and certain developers make a good game. I loved BioShock Infinite and etc. Sometimes its difficult because your age is telling you something different. You're still that 10 or 13 year old looking at IGN pictures of Zelda OOT from Japan and the other is saying, ''wow, this amazes me, but there's no real communication beyond teens and young adults enjoying this''. lol

I'm not married, nor do I have kids, and I'm reading magazines saying I need to buy my Gucci clothes, business suit, and sports car. I look at what gaming is now and I wonder sometimes. I enjoy it like no other, but there's just this wave of new teens and 20's and they're just making it something that I don't like. I don't like the new industry they've created at times. I actually enjoy the corporate stuff more. I enjoy PR releases from the big 3 and etc. I'm not so much into some of the stuff out there like YouTube videos or Journalists telling me things I already know. There's journalists who are younger than me and have had to catch up on retro games telling me what's hot. The guy or girl my age who writes for a game magazine is literally doing their job and I could scream at their comments because I lived about the same life they did. I wonder if some of them would have stopped if they hadn't been payed for it.

Weetrick

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

How about you, GAF? Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

Holy shit! lol

To answer your question though, yes I believe I will still play during retirement. That's assuming games don't evolve into something I can't stand or relate to. I'll still always have my old Nintendo games though.

Certainly hope so. Been playing games for 26 or so years now, and I'm about 35 from retirement so planning to continue.

Also read some of the posts in this thread in Tommy wisseaus voice.

ducksauce

Weird question. Would you ask someone if they will still watch movies or listen to music in their retirement? I'm 39 and have no plans to stop gaming anytime soon. Also, I'm not sure how success effects gaming time.

Clockwork5

Vision / motor skills / general health permitting... of course i will. Even if I were mostly blind with parkinson's I could envision myself putzing around in the latest "Souls" game in 2045 :)

I hope that by the time I need to be in a nursery home there will be some virtual reality version of cooking mama, but more like "change your own diaper".

deim0s

If I can still do it, why not? It doesn't have to be video games - board games, minis, TCGs or whatever. Checkers? Get outta here.

Weird question. Would you ask someone if they will still watch movies or listen to music in their retirement? I'm 39 and have no plans to stop gaming anytime soon. Also, I'm not sure how success effects gaming time.

I think gaming is different with watching movies or listening to music. Gaming is an activity, while watching movies or listening to music are passive. We'll need coordination from both of our mind and body to play video games of certain genres.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt it. I'm not even through my 20s and I find myself playing fewer games, especially big releases. By the time I'm in my 30s my gaming will probably amount to playing Melee (if I stick with it) and the odd game or two a year.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I agree, but society has turned movies into this "universal attraction" while video games are said to have this specific age group. Gaming's largest defense has been mobile and some games that can somehow defend an adult playing it like puzzle games or solitaire. You can fit almost anything in there because who cares right? but what I hear are more people either sticking up for gaming as this "it's okay" choice of entertainment. I've played my whole life so it's more than enjoyable at times talking about a video game's content, but you'll still run into the crowd that think it's Mario from the 80s, Sonic is for kids, move on in life etc. etc. idea of entertainment.

Movies and music have this modern trendy idea attached to them while the young adults tend to love fantasy and violence. It makes certain franchises look discriminated against, but the idea in society doesn't care about a ''-''retro classic''-''.

The industry has to stay strong and it will, but it's like a defense or an opinion from another person outweighs how you feel. If you game you should do it at 50 or 79. Will others feel the same? They might just want you to stop before you have to defend it.

Why do guys in their 30's to 50's need to say "why" they enjoy video games now? Did society do that or did PR do that? If it was as safe as music and movies then why do older guys (even the ones who know what they're talking about) have to make up a reason? I see older guys and etc at movie theaters and for the love of god everyone listens to music.

The only people who don't have to have a reason are game designers or those who've made money in the industry. That's their reason. The average Joe has this question attached it down the road in life. You almost have to give a reason. No one tells George Lucas to stop enjoying Star Wars.

I'll be gaming but to a much less extent, because lord knows I want to hear how my generations were garbage and how the future present gen will be so much better.

The older I get, the less I want to read or hear from fanboy crap.

What's weird is that the people I use to see at GameStop every single time are not the same. You see people that were probably 4 or 5 when the Dreamcast came out.

I wonder what happens to a lot of people. I remember talking to staff and people about the newest Final Fantasy or JRPG. Now it's a whole other crowd trading games in and people shopping at the store. That's not saying they quit, but the people that were BIG into Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii aren't there. I remember when Halo 2 had people all over playing it for fun.

I buy mostly digital, so I tend to catch onto the trend at stores. I use to work in retail. I worked at EB Games and K-Mart electronics. I remember Babbages when I wasn't even a teen yet. GameStop probably doesn't get the same people in there anymore because you can buy games without doing everything that comes with it. I use to go to just about all the midnight launches in town. I'd see the same group every now and then. Now I have no idea. I have no idea to be honest. I'm enjoying it as much as I can and I'm about out of my 20s. I remember playing Mario Kart and the Genesis at Sears and shopping centers as a kid.

You guys who are just getting into your 20's probably don't get the awful stigma that comes with age. I remember being amazed and thought it would last forever and then the consoles change, you get older, and the people around you don't like games anymore. You also see people online who are younger and you have to ignore them rather than engage with them. I'm not stating anything that isn't the obvious or something someone should think about.

I've followed the industry since I was old enough to read gaming magazines and the back of boxes. I've noticed everything change after a while. Now it's like a lot of people don't like what's coming out or so forth. I get annoyed by games that include these leads that are in their mid 20s and you're suppose to care about their cause or something comes out that looks uninteresting.

Some days I think it's forever. When I see the young crowd just dominate over people my age then I get a bit worried. I enjoy the games I like for my own reasons. I think when Fallout or something huge comes out it'll be different. There's always a big turn around when tech and certain developers make a good game. I loved BioShock Infinite and etc. Sometimes its difficult because your age is telling you something different. You're still that 10 or 13 year old looking at IGN pictures of Zelda OOT from Japan and the other is saying, ''wow, this amazes me, but there's no real communication beyond teens and young adults enjoying this''. lol

I'm not married, nor do I have kids, and I'm reading magazines saying I need to buy my Gucci clothes, business suit, and sports car. I look at what gaming is now and I wonder sometimes. I enjoy it like no other, but there's just this wave of new teens and 20's and they're just making it something that I don't like. I don't like the new industry they've created at times. I actually enjoy the corporate stuff more. I enjoy PR releases from the big 3 and etc. I'm not so much into some of the stuff out there like YouTube videos or Journalists telling me things I already know. There's journalists who are young than me and have had to catch up on retro games telling me what's hot. The guy or girl my age who writes for a game magazine is literally doing their job and I could scream at their comments because I lived about the same life they did. I wonder if some of them would have stopped if they hadn't been payed for it.

Are you moonlighting as Jeff Gerstmann?

Its as if it came from the big man himself.

Gaspard

Hopefully, it's a better activity than shuffleboard or staring outside of one's window and waiting for the grandchildren that never come.

My game time is only on weekend, if there is no freelance work.

I don't really know what will truly happen on my future, but I will still do gaming in my retirement age. I hope I still have a chance to do so.

Clockwork5

my mom has never been a gamer (outside of solitaire) and plays jewel quest on yahoo like no one's business and my dad used to give my huge grief for playing too much "nintendo" but I catch him playing tetris from time to time.

You folks should stop feeling so ostracized :) lots of people of all ages game now. Its ok to play video games these days. It will be even more common when a lot of us retire and developers will have our generation in mind when we hit retirement age.

Those anti aging cells are gonna come in handy. By the time I'm 65 I hope we have a viable option to make me look like I'm my current age of 21 and not suffer from mental deterioration. Lol I plan on playing games for a while.

I'll play as much as I physically can while juggling other interests. Right now I ought to play more action-based games that won't leave me frustrated when I get older and reflexes dull.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are you moonlighting as Jeff Gerstmann?

Its as if it came from the big man himself.

You have performed an exorcist tonight DoktorEvil.

Maybe it is an influence? Dare I say that because I like him. He's great to listen to.

maybe I just needed to vent some ideas. It's worrisome that there's people in the industry who quite possibly see it all this and that way. I don't know. I think Jeff does well at understanding trends, negative or not.

Boss Mog

Between MOBAs, e-Sports, mobile gaming, indies, VR and other gimmicks,Twitch and YouTube I'm not sure I'll still be gaming in 5 years let alone when I'm an old man.

bobawesome

I hope I have better things to do when I'm that age, like writing schlocky mystery novels or dating women 40 years younger than me.

I foresee us as one of the first generations to enjoy nursing homes/extended care facilities because the LAN parties are going to be sick.

AmuroChan

Music used to be one of my favorite hobbies, but now I rarely listen to music and have replaced that with listening to podcasts.

People grow out of hobbies with age all the time. Many of my friends who I used to game with are no longer into gaming. They've found other hobbies and interests to spend their free time on.

Probably not based on how my habits have evolved during my transition from early to mid 20s. Time is becoming a serious constraint so I've had to become extremely choosy and with the way video games are nowadays, I'm not exactly eager to make them a top priority.

DirtyLarry

I am 40 years old. Been gaming since I am 5. Nothing has deterred me thus far, and nothing will deter me in the future. Since I am now closer to retirement than I am my actual birth, I cannot wait to retire as truth be told that means I will once again have time to play again. I sincerely can say not only do I plan on still playing, I plan on making up for the fact the older I have gotten with a career and grown up responsibilities has meant very little time overall to play. When I retire I plan on playing again like I did in my early 20's.

dresi

Imagine the possibilities in 2065. We will have full immersive virtual reality non-distinguishable from the real world. Ultimate playground. And there is a chance that some of us never reach retirement age given how technology progresses.

Clockwork5

I enjoy all the busy people who have no time to game telling me that they have no time to game in a meaningless gaf thread.

Top Bottom