• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

I'm 46, and if things go according to plan I'll be retiring in 9 years time. Yes I will still be gaming, probably more than ever. Can't wait.

Some of you youngsters appear to be picturing all retired people as demented, incontinent geriatrics, but many people retire when they're still in full possession of all their faculties. Reaction time slows with age, but your body and mind don't just break the minute you stop working.

Also, worrying that you might not like something in the future is pointless. It doesn't bother me that I no longer like watching kids TV, but I used to watch the crap out of it when I was little...

I am 40 years old. Been gaming since I am 5. Nothing has deterred me thus far, and nothing will deter me in the future. Since I am now closer to retirement than I am my actual birth, I cannot wait to retire as truth be told that means I will once again have time to play again. I sincerely can say not only do I plan on still playing, I plan on making up for the fact the older I have gotten with a career and grown up responsibilities has meant very little time overall to play. When I retire I plan on playing again like I did in my early 20's.

I'm 46, and if things go according to plan I'll be retiring in 9 years time. Yes I will still be gaming, probably more than ever. Can't wait.

Some of you youngsters appear to be picturing all retired people as demented, incontinent geriatrics, but many people retire when they're still in full possession of all their faculties. Reaction time slows with age, but your body and mind don't just break the minute you stop working.

Also, worrying that you might not like something in the future is pointless. It doesn't bother me that I no longer like watching kids TV, but I used to watch the crap out of it when I was little...

These are the post that I've been waiting for.
Can't wait to retire so we can play more games. This is what I think as well, and I'm still so far away from retirement lol.

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

How about you, GAF? Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?
I'm in the same situation and by thor's hammer (lal) i'm gonna be a NERD grandpa playing a LOT..

Kirye

It depends. I'm getting to the point where i'm starting to grow tired of new games and their bullcrap, and i'm only in my 20s. These days it's really just PC gaming and Nintendo that keep me happy.

Not sure if i'll end up enjoying an Iwata/Miyamoto-less Nintendo, as much as we'd all like to believe that they'll live forever.

However, I do see myself being 'that' guy and playing old PSX games. Being all senile and saying that retro games were the best while my grandkids make fun of me and go back to watching PewDiePie on their NerveGear.

Felensis

Banned
I'm 30 now and started gaming when I was a 5 year young boy. Love it today as much or even more as I did back in the days even though I have less time due to work, relationships etc.

I never ever will stop gaming, because I love it. It is a part of me and ever will be!

Amahoi

Neo Member
I just can't wait to be old so I can be crotchety and envy the days of my youth when games were good and were small enough to fit on my flash drives.

sono

I hope so.

I just can't wait to be old so I can be crotchety and envy the days of my youth when games were good and were small enough to fit on my flash drives.

old-lol9ks1g.gif

I will finally have the time to do so. Job and kids are consuming most of my day.
Looking forward to it.
Unfortunately it's still a long way to go.

Probably not since I'd be busy fighting roaming bands of bikers for the few scarce resources left in the scorched hell scape once known as earth.

Bl@de

Of course. I don't plan on dropping my hobbies only because of age. I plan on going to the gym, reading and playing video games just like now.

I'd love to, unless gaming in 30-40 years turns into something physically demanding, like a full-on holo deck and there is no possibility of playing (already) old stuff like SNES.
My biggest worry is of a different matter: I'm European and I don't think that there will be living conditions allowing me to retire peacefully. I'm fully expecting a (post-)war environment until then. But that's more of a topic for a "How will the world look like in 30 years" thread.

Melchiah

I'm 40, and I play more games than ever before, so it does seem likely that this hobby of ~30 years will continue in the foreseeable future. Unless consoles cease to exist, and Sony exits the industry, considering that over a third of my last gen games were published by them. I think the percentage has been about the same this gen, if not greater.

Fliesen

this is such a weird question.

it's like asking a 50 year old "will you still be watching TV in your retirement" or wondering if your grandpa still reads books.

Of course i'll be consuming the media i've grown to like.

T-0800

this is such a weird question.

it's like asking a 50 year old "will you still be watching TV in your retirement" or wondering if your grandpa still reads books.

Of course i'll be consuming the media i've grown to like.

Topics like this actually make me angry.

SAiLO

That's gonna be the best time to do it. When you're retired all you have is time. Well, maybe not reflexes for FPS games...

smudge

I'm 36 and I play as many games as I did when I was 16, which is probably around 20 hours a week. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
Tastes can change over the years sure, my tastes in game genres has changed but my taste in the medium hasn't.
I used to play a lot of FPS but now I mainly dislike them. Right now, I prefer RPGs and story based games, but 20 years ago I never played RPGs and disliked them.
I expect to be playing games until my time is up, that is as long as there are games I want to play.
I've also been a big esports fan since Brood War and CS 1.6. I still enjoy watching many esports and I doubt that will ever change. As long as there are competitive games which I enjoy.

bounchfx

no clue, but considering where technology is going to be by then, I'm sure we'll all be having crazy anime sex orgies in our touch VR Holo Lens augmented reality. you know, for exp points.

Dimorphic

It's really impossible to say.

My interest in gaming changes all the time as well so while I'd say so, who knows?

Also I envy you having 2-3 hours per day to play. I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours per week these days.

redcrayon

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

How about you, GAF? Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?
You can 'only' play computer games for 2-3 hours a day? Wow, that's a lot. I'm lucky if I manage that a week!

I'm sure I'll still be playing games in one form or another.

clove

Neo Member
I plan to retire at age 40 (60% savings rate). I'll spend the next few decades of life cycling, traveling, and yes, gaming like a mofo.

Threads like this make me sad because everyone assumes retirement is for old people. Just don't buy so much shit, invest the difference, and you can retire literally decades sooner.

WITHE1982

I don't see why not. Yes once I retire I want to spend as much time as I can with my family but I'll still set aside some time for gaming.

My wife works as a nurse in a private nursing home and there's 2 or 3 lads in there (age 60+) who have games consoles.

One guy, who has a stroke a few years back, was encouraged by his doctor to game as it can help with his motor skills. He has both a PS1 and PS2. I've even let him borrow a couple of my old games. He's a big GTA fan.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've been gaming for most of my life. I don't see why I'd stop unless future gaming involved something weird like injecting games into your eyeballs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Considering that I'll probably have to wait until I'm retired in order to clear my backlog...

I'm 34 and the Christmas morning when i opened my Atari 2600 and started playing centipede and Adventure was a turning point in my life.

I think i was about 8 and from that point on i was obsessed and inspired by all things video game related.

I've worked in the industry for most of my adult life and it's the gel that brought me and my friends together (gathered from Uni and various companies).

I often read here that as some guys get older and have other responsibilities (work, wife, kids etc.) their gaming takes a back seat.

I would say it's my greatest passion in life so I've given it a lot of importance in my life and when possible, integrated it in to the other areas of my life.

I'll game till i die.

/CoolStoryBro

I don't see why not. Can't wait to see how advanced virtual worlds are by that point. Slap some Depends on me and leave me in my VR lands.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
If I can still physically and mentally keep up then heck yeah.

Top Bottom