• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

Miguel81

I plan to, OP. Even if the games don't interest me at that age, there will be retro and emulation so I can play classics that I missed and/or replay for nostalgic purposes. Looking forward to how VR will progress as well.

If you'd asked me in my twenties I'd have said yes, but now I'm in my mid thirties I really don't think so. I guess it's possible that I might play some of the puzzle / adventure stuff I missed over the years... but these days I hardly ever game and I can only see it becoming less frequent, not more.

_SAKY_

I'm 36...still living the gaming life - although work and family take a large amount of my time. I think that I will be gaming for a long time so long as controllers with physical buttons or something equally intuitive remains the standard (i.e. not touch screens). I had two people in my COD4 clan pushing their late 50s/early 60s who I still see playing online regularly.

Foffy

Banned
I don't want to retire, so this is kind of a non-starter question for me.

I can play games if the time allows it, and I have the means. The key is just having the present experience for it, as it normally does.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah because I want to play The Last Guardian

damn-friday-o.gif

broony

My dad is 65 and still plays games. Still runs vault of glass on hard with me. Its a good way to catch up with him.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Been playing games ever since the PONG days, so yeah, I can see myself playing games until I die. As long as I still have my sanity, eyesight, and working hands.

Ape

Banned
I expect that I'll probably stop gaming pretty soon. If not, definitely before 30. I'll build a PC and upgrade for a few years most likely then that will be it for me. Life is moving too fast right now and games are less and less important. Obviously I'll still play games on my phone or whatever casually, like everyone else. This is just for dedicated gaming. Sometimes you can feel yourself growing up.

Genio88

I'm 26 so it's still to early for now to think about that, everything could happen, for now my willing is to keep gaming cause it's one of my favorites hobbies, but who knows what could happen in 40 years or more from now

RPGCrazied

Probably not. By then it will be mostly mobile gaming, stream gaming, no physical media, larger patch installs, increased game prices.

Dr. Buni

I plan to be dead long before my retirement age, but otherwise? Probably. I mostly play for escapism, so I don't see myself abandoning gaming.

woopWOOP

Probably. Unless some sort of accident or disease disables me from doing so... or if I'm dead before I get there :p
But I won't bother with that full body VR stuff those youngin's are raving about those days. Get off my lawn!

Won't it be something? Seeing old people playing video games and watching streaming services and anime and what not. Can't wait until I have the "old person" excuse to play all I want.

I'll be schooling my trash great grand kids at Call of Duty 54.
"Get rekt filthy scrubs. Be salty and don't come back until you got some hair on your nuts!"

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at trends (design and otherwise) in gaming, and games i like, no, i doubt i will be gaming later...
Heck, even now i've nearly stopped, unless you could replaying old games.

CHC

Yes, definitely. We're like the generation that grew up with the advent of TV or movies - it used to be a new medium, now it's just part of life.

BibiMaghoo

I'll be happy if in old age, I can see the TV screen at all. It's easy to forget that your eye sight fails with age. My father loves games but finds them much harder to play these days for this very reason.

sturmdogg

Hopefully Sword Art Online type of games will be commonplace so even if I have arthritis or some other debilitating sickness, I can still play. If not, bring on Battlefield LXX (0/50 k/d ratio lol).

Icefire1424

I hope so. Seems pretty appropriate given I may actually have time to play once I hit retirement age. That, and it will give me something to do when I'm too damn tired to go out and actually do stuff.

TheChaos0

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

How about you, GAF? Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

That's a lot more than me... :_(

I'm pretty sure I will be still gaming. I'm not kicking the bucket before I can experience SAO type of gaming.

I hope so. My steam queue isn't getting any shorter.

And remember people: keep your hands, fingers and eyes in good shape. You don't want arthritis and dodgy eyesight fucking up your retirement plans!

On the other side of it, I hope by then I'll be able to leave my digital games collection in my will. I imagine I'll have a huge number of games by then and would love to give them to a grandchild or something like that. Instead of the current "have them use existing account, hope steam doesn't notice you are apparently 115 years old" method.

Usobuko

Banned
Gaming is only one of the mediums I engage with and it is not among my top pirority.

I might be gaming but at that age its probably one or two per year. I figured my time would be better served connecting with people I had the luck and honour to come across in various stages of my life.

Well, that if I lived a long life. I'm still in my 20s btw.

You have performed an exorcist tonight DoktorEvil.

Maybe it is an influence? Dare I say that because I like him. He's great to listen to.

maybe I just needed to vent some ideas. It's worrisome that there's people in the industry who quite possibly see it all this and that way. I don't know. I think Jeff does well at understanding trends, negative or not.

Don't be as cyncial as Jeff is. He has every right to be covering games for as long as he has. Enjoy the gaming ride as it keeps growing.

Regardless, I enjoy what you type and I'll keep reading when you do.

Rockondevil

I really hope I'll still be playing games no matter my age. I guess it also depends if I can afford it and I'm even able to physically play them.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I don't see why not. My tastes might change but I will definitely be playing video games in some form until I kick the bucket.

Top Bottom