• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Pagusas

Elden Member
so is there really no way to get skydrive back to how it was in 8.1? I fricken hate it now. 1. I like using local accounts on my work computers and apparently cant use them with skydrive anymore. 2. you dont have an app telling you things are uploading or downloading, things just do and you have no way of seeing how much is left.

All very annoying. I get 25gb's free with skydrive but may just abandon it if I cant get it working how it use to.

Jzero

The washed out color look is definitely an Nvidia thing. The colors looked perfect before i upgraded to my nvidia card.

maeh2k

Successfully upgraded my sister's notebook. Everything went smoothly.

However, sending mails via the Mail app currently doesn't work. Maybe it's an issue with the trustsworthy devices (even though the PC was already trustworthy with Windows 8 ). During the upgrade it asked to have a code sent to my sisters phone and enter it on the PC, but since I didn't have the phone I skipped that step. Can't find a way to repeat it.

Not sure how to fix it, since I can't just remove and add the MIcrosoft account.

Edit: never mind. Seems to work. There was still one outgoing mail that was somehow stuck and complained that you couldn't send mail via the Outlook.com account. Now that I deleted that mail I could sent myself mails again.

Suen

I have some weird problem going on after I rebooted my PC. Whever I start Skype now the new Skype instance appear as an icon on the taskbar next to the Skype program icon that is mounted on the taskbar (which is the shortcut I use to start Skype, basically it looks like I have mounted Skype on the taskbar twice). Usually they'd be grouped so for example; if I had like three instances of Skype on there was only one icon on the taskbar that you had to click on to choose between the three. Now I'd instead have all three next to each other. Some google search led me to Microsofts faq which says this:

Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Taskbar and Start Menu.

Select the Group similar taskbar buttons check box so that it is checked. (To turn off grouping, clear the Group similar taskbar buttons check box.)

Fair enough. I checked that and it's set to be grouped. I tried other programs (opened several firefox windows) and they were grouped together. Only Skype fucks up, so what's the deal?

renitou

Only issue I've run into since upgrading my desktop is that my computer doesn't play nice and automatically sleep when it is supposed to. If I manually put it to sleep, it will stay asleep most of the time, but it won't sleep after the idle time is reached. Checked to see if any devices plugged in were keeping it awake, or some strange sharing option, but no dice. Even tried a clean install and the issue reappeared.

Not enough of an issue for me to bother going further with it right now; hope it's sorted in a future update.

Ballistik

If anyone wants to help me.. :

My computer has been running the preview since it came out, and I ran into an issue where I can't run any apps including the store app where the final release of 8.1 is. They simply crash as soon as I click and I'm sent back to metro start. This error has been present for a couple of months and I've been putting it off to fix.. But it seems that my windows is corrupt.(pretty sure it was from forcing it shut when it got stuck doing updates one time) I can't do a refresh because "windows files are missing" and I don't have the installation disc with me.

My question is if there is another way to upgrade without having to go to the store app. Or if any of you fixed the issue I had.. I'm crossing my fingers that moving to the final release is going to relive the errors I have without the need to do a clean install.
I tried going the .iso route but my product key isn't "valid" because it's for window 8.

joshschw

I have some weird problem going on after I rebooted my PC. Whever I start Skype now the new Skype instance appear as an icon on the taskbar next to the Skype program icon that is mounted on the taskbar (which is the shortcut I use to start Skype, basically it looks like I have mounted Skype on the taskbar twice). Usually they'd be grouped so for example; if I had like three instances of Skype on there was only one icon on the taskbar that you had to click on to choose between the three. Now I'd instead have all three next to each other. Some google search led me to Microsofts faq which says this:

Fair enough. I checked that and it's set to be grouped. I tried other programs (opened several firefox windows) and they were grouped together. Only Skype fucks up, so what's the deal?

Did you try removing and re pinning?

MrBig

If anyone wants to help me.. :

My computer has been running the preview since it came out, and I ran into an issue where I can't run any apps including the store app where the final release of 8.1 is. They simply crash as soon as I click and I'm sent back to metro start. This error has been present for a couple of months and I've been putting it off to fix.. But it seems that my windows is corrupt.(pretty sure it was from forcing it shut when it got stuck doing updates one time) I can't do a refresh because "windows files are missing" and I don't have the installation disc with me.

My question is if there is another way to upgrade without having to go to the store app. Or if any of you fixed the issue I had.. I'm crossing my fingers that moving to the final release is going to relive the errors I have without the need to do a clean install.
I tried going the .iso route but my product key isn't "valid" because it's for window 8.

W8.1 Public Defaults
Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Use the default key to install via the iso and then when you're on the desktop type "slui 3" into Run and enter your w8 key

You can't officially upgrade to w8.1 from the w8.1 preview in any case, so with the issues you're having I'd just back up any data you want to keep and do a fresh install from the 8.1 iso

Ballistik

Use the default key to install via the iso and then when you're on the desktop type "slui 3" into Run and enter your w8 key

You can't officially upgrade to w8.1 from the w8.1 preview in any case, so with the issues you're having I'd just back up any data you want to keep and do a fresh install from the 8.1 iso
Thank you I will try this.

Why the hell I can't upgrade to 8.1? In fact, I can't even download a freaking app. I keep getting the 0x80070002 error everytime. Any solution, GAF?

Edit: I was finally able to install it. Everything runs so smooth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to completely disable the Charms bar unless I press Windows Key + C? I have it so it's disabled when I move to the top right of the screen, but it still comes up when I move my cursor to the bottom right.

Kabuto

After some complications with Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8.1 not getting along, I finally got 8.1 downloaded. It definitely improved performance in my games. Batman Arkham Origins and Battlefield 4 would randomly stutter on Windows 7, but now they run 60fps consistently. I sadly don't really see improvements on my start up time even with 8.1 installed on a SSD. Even without that, I really like 8.1 and it just feels really smooth and is like an improved Windows 7.

I should have done a clean install too because even though I have my old programs, they're all uninstalled anyways and it's going to be such a pain to have to find everything to set up again. I might just delete everything on my original HDD and reinstall everything just to make it easier on myself.

I'm also running into three problems right now:

iTunes won't download Bonjour or whatever the software is needed to connect my iPhone 5s to my PC. I deleted and reinstalled it twice and it's having the same problem.

Not sure if it's the Skype app or my internet, but every time I use it to chat with my friend when we play BF4, it disconnects the Skype call and my Battlefield 4 game randomly.

Origin won't start up Battlefield 4 from the client or Metro. I always have to start from Battlelog.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
After some complications with Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8.1 not getting along, I finally got 8.1 downloaded. It definitely improved performance in my games. Batman Arkham Origins and Battlefield 4 would randomly stutter on Windows 7, but now they run 60fps consistently. I sadly don't really see improvements on my start up time even with 8.1 installed on a SSD. Even without that, I really like 8.1 and it just feels really smooth and is like an improved Windows 7.

I should have done a clean install too because even though I have my old programs, they're all uninstalled anyways and it's going to be such a pain to have to find everything to set up again. I might just delete everything on my original HDD and reinstall everything just to make it easier on myself.

I'm also running into three problems right now:

iTunes won't download Bonjour or whatever the software is needed to connect my iPhone 5s to my PC. I deleted and reinstalled it twice and it's having the same problem.

Not sure if it's the Skype app or my internet, but every time I use it to chat with my friend when we play BF4, it disconnects the Skype call and my Battlefield 4 game randomly.

Origin won't start up Battlefield 4 from the client or Metro. I always have to start from Battlelog.
Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 is the same thing as MSE now.

Kabuto

Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 is the same thing as MSE now.

yeah I know, but when I was trying to install 8.1 it would keep saying I had to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE wasn't in my installed programs so that's why it was a problem. I eventually fixed it by deleting 'Microsoft Security Client' though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What determines what sports get Live titles on the Bing Sports app? For example, My "La Liga" tile has live updates, but my "Premier League" tile doesn't. This was working fine on the preview. WTF?

Jzero

What ever happened to VLC for Windows 8? I kinda don't like the default video player because it changes the volume for the whole computer instead of just the video.

The washed out color look is definitely an Nvidia thing. The colors looked perfect before i upgraded to my nvidia card.

I got the washed out look after I upgraded, too. For me, it was the limited range it chooses to use when you're plugged into a monitor with HDMI. Yeah, it looks disgusting but fortunately you can run an Nvidia RGB Full Range toggle to bring back the full range.

Just updated to Windows 8.1 and Skype (both Desktop and Metro) crash upon booting... I uninstalled and reinstalled desktop twice, no fix.

I don't know what's going on. :/

EDIT: Non of my steam games are working either... :/ Gonna uninstall a small game (Super Meat Boy) that crashed upon booting up (like all games) and see if reinstalling it fixes it. If not than something might have gone wrong with my Windows 8.1 install.

EDIT 2: Tried to refresh my PC, says I'm missing a few files. Guess my Windows 8.1 install didn't install perfectly... is there an easy way to reinstall it without having to reset my PC (only recovery I have is Windows 7, a year back... it's a fresh install and I don't want to lose everything.) As it stands I can't play any games, use Skype, or use fraps, etc. Some programs just won't start up.

blado

I logged on today and it seems that I've randomly lost 10 gigabytes of space. Hmmmmm. Anyone else know why this could be? I looked at samsung magician and it was still showing 25 gigabytes left, rather than 15, on my SSD. I restart again and now it's at 15 too. Has anyone else ever had an issue similar to this? I don't think it has to do with Windows 8.1, but I'm somewhat confused. Is it possible that Over Provisioning was randomly enabled?'

EDIT: Yup it was Over Provisioning.

venne

Something went wrong after I installed Windows 8.1 on my new SSD (old one died).

I reinstalled again and everything is working fine except I get the 'select OS' option with the good 8.1 install and the old, corrupt one.

Does anyone know how I can kill the bad option once and for all?

MrBig

Something went wrong after I installed Windows 8.1 on my new SSD (old one died).

I reinstalled again and everything is working fine except I get the 'select OS' option with the good 8.1 install and the old, corrupt one.

Sounds like you didn't format the reserve partition of the old install.

So, question about Windows 8. I know there's this feature that allows you to snap apps so they take up a small fraction of screen space. Is there a way to turn that off? It's annoying when I'm using Chrome in Metro mode or whatever it's called and I go to click on a tab by moving my mouse to the top of the screen and instead of getting a tab, I get the little App Snapped Cursor.

So, question about Windows 8. I know there's this feature that allows you to snap apps so they take up a small fraction of screen space. Is there a way to turn that off? It's annoying when I'm using Chrome in Metro mode or whatever it's called and I go to click on a tab by moving my mouse to the top of the screen and instead of getting a tab, I get the little App Snapped Cursor.

In PC settings under the settings charm you can change it so the app switcher on the left and charms on the right are only activated via mouse from the bottom of the screen instead of both. Should fix your issue.

n64coder

I think you want to follow this technote

It means modifying boot.ini. But since you're using Windows 8, you should follow this technote instead

Orrichio

Hello!

I recently installed win8.1 on a desktop and have two of the same 64GB Crucial SSD's... But I am having trouble letting my desktop find my second drive.

Is there something I should do in advanced window settings? or BIOS?

Thanks!

Dawg

Anyone else playing WoW having problems with your mouse? It's really jumpy all of a sudden and it makes the camera jump too. It happens randomly when you right click stuff.

So annoying.

Omni

8.1? Windows Store, should be in the front page if you're up to date with the windows updates.

Oh, that's why I didn't see it. Haven't updated in a while... haha.

Plus one other random question. This is my start menu now while on Windows 8
w33q.png
It goes along, but you get the point. I have custom tiles / colours and background. Will all of those be reset if I upgrade to 8.1? I really can't be bothered going through it all again.

I think only desktop apps disable the grabber...

For metro apps, I think the only way to avoid this issue is by the app design itself changing to avoid putting important stuff so close to the edge...

It goes along, but you get the point. I have custom tiles / colours and background. Will all of those be reset if I upgrade to 8.1? I really can't be bothered going through it all again.

You will lose those, but I believe Obytile (I'm assuming that's what you used) has an update that makes it work with 8.1. As for the background, you can set your desktop background to also be your start screen background in 8.1.

Flipboard is nice and fairly simple, but it doesn't allow for custom magazines/feeds (as far as I know).

You mean the W8 app? Because on iOs you can definitely add feeds, and create custom magazines from different feeds (not sure when it was added, but it wasn't in the beginning, though)...

The Cowboy

If you used Oblytile to make them, the simple thing to do it run Oblytile and open the Tile Manager section, the very last button (looks like a floppy disk) is used to Import/Export your tiles in case of reinstalling/problems.

Simply select Export and pick a location to save to and it will save every tile you've made (including the image) into a folder called "OblyTile exported tiles". Zip it up and save it some place (SkyDrive, usb stick etc) and then after updating if your custom tiles are messed up, run Oblytile and notw select Import and browse to your "OblyTile exported tiles" folder and it will remake them all.

In saying that, when I upgraded all my tiles stayed as I left them and I had to do nothing - but better safe than sorry.

In PC settings under the settings charm you can change it so the app switcher on the left and charms on the right are only activated via mouse from the bottom of the screen instead of both. Should fix your issue.

I kind of like those two menus appearing when they do. What I don't like is if I move my mouse to the very top of the screen and click, it sort of grabs the app. Then moving it makes it so I'm moving the app around. I'm using Chrome in an app mode, so I'd like it so that when I went to the top of the screen, I could just click on my Chrome tabs.

EDIT: Alright, now I've got a new issues. Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I'm having some trouble. I want to log in to my computer like I used to with Windows 8. So I had an account that said "Joe" and I could use my nice, easy password to log in. Now that I've gone through Windows 8.1, I've got to log on with my Microsoft account, which is an annoying fucking password with caps and numbers and symbols and shit. I can make a local account, Joe, that logs in like normal, but then I can't use apps and the store and shit. So basically I have an account that's easy to log in to and I can't use everything on, or an account that's hard to log in to that I can access everything on. When I was doing Windows 8 (before 8.1) I could log on to my local account, using my normal password, and it was linked to my Microsoft account so I could download stuff, too. Now it seems like they're needlessly separated. Is there any way to set it up like before?

EDIT 2: Okay, I think I've finally reverted my account back to the way it was. Kind of annoyed that I had to redo it, but still liking Windows 8.1 overall.

If you used Oblytile to make them, the simple thing to do it run Oblytile and open the Tile Manager section, the very last button (looks like a floppy disk) is used to Import/Export your tiles in case of reinstalling/problems.

Simply select Export and pick a location to save to and it will save every tile you've made (including the image) into a folder called "OblyTile exported tiles". Zip it up and save it some place (SkyDrive, usb stick etc) and then after updating if your custom tiles are messed up, run Oblytile and notw select Import and browse to your "OblyTile exported tiles" folder and it will remake them all.

In saying that, when I upgraded all my tiles stayed as I left them and I had to do nothing - but better safe than sorry.

So this means custom tiles are shareable?

That's interesting... let me see what I can find :p

Loofy

just installed windows 8.1 I'd thought we'd get a mix between the start screen and old start menu.

Instead it just takes it you back to the start screen....lol.

Also I'm really tired of trying to disable a password on this thing everytime I turn it on. I have tried almost every option and google gave me at least 4 different ways to "disable" it and it never, ever works!

Someone must have found a way?

I'm also trying to figure out how to invert the scrolling (currently it's like on a mac where scrolling down means a web page goes up).
Go to Run command. Type in netplwiz. Uncheckmark the password required option. Computer will now log in to your account automatically at startup.
I have no clue why MS didnt include this option in PC settings. Seems like a pretty important setting to hide from everyone.

Go to Run command. Type in netplwiz. Uncheckmark the password required option. Computer will now log in to your account automatically at startup.
I have no clue why MS didnt include this option in PC settings. Seems like a pretty important setting to hide from everyone.

Charms bar -> Change PC Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options

Whoa. I just got Windows 8 but I'm loving the way you have yours set up. How do you name a tile group? I go to the semantic zoom and I can move around entire groups of tiles, but there doesn't seem to be a naming option, even if I right click.

The Cowboy

Whoa. I just got Windows 8 but I'm loving the way you have yours set up. How do you name a tile group? I go to the semantic zoom and I can move around entire groups of tiles, but there doesn't seem to be a naming option, even if I right click.

On Windows 8 you need to zoom out and then right click on the section you want to name, on Windows 8.1 you right click any tile and then you can put in a name for the sections.

On Windows 8 you need to zoom out and then right click on the section you want to name, on Windows 8.1 you right click any tile and then you can put in a name for the sections.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm on 8.1 but I was trying the 8 method. I don't see why they would remove that option in 8.1, however. Now right-clicking the section does absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom