• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

You forgot your password....Microsoft's fault. LOL
I didn't forget my password. I've been typing it daily for the past fucking year. I think I'd realize if I typed my password wrong the first three times. It didn't accept the old password. I tried it carefully so many times that my account got locked. Can't you fucking read? Also if you aren't going to help then piss off with the non-contributing reply.

edit: I've found a way to connect to the modem with a cable. Will probably solve it but thanks to anyone (aside from the tool above) who took their time reading this.

GTI Guy

I didn't forget my password. I've been typing it daily for the past fucking year. I think I'd realize if I typed my password wrong the first three times. It didn't accept the old password. I tried it carefully so many times that my account got locked. Can't you fucking read? Also if you aren't going to help then piss off with the non-contributing reply.

edit: I've found a way to connect to the modem with a cable. Will probably solve it but thanks to anyone (aside from the tool above) who took their time reading this.

I can read... Sounds like you are back. I'm happy for you. Sorry I upset you more.

dLMN8R

I want to reformat my computer during the weekend. I have already created an install disk for Windows 8.1 through Microsoft's program (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media). I am just wondering, but do I still need a generic 8.1 key if I originally bought a Windows 8 key? And does anyone know if the latest install disk iso from Microsoft has Update 1 included?

I think you can use your Windows 8 product key now!

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/create-installation-media-windows-81

Update: That's not true, apparently. According to several readers, this tool does work with a Windows 8.0 product key, which is wonderful. And it comes with Update 1 and Update 2 already integrated. Nice! --Paul

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
any way to disable that start menu? just have my pc work like it did with windows 7?

I just got a new laptop and I don't like this operating system.

I'm with you. I just bought a new laptop, and this OS is killing me.

Honestly I'd go back to windows 2000 or xp if it took full use of the hardware.

How bad is Windows 8 that Windows 8.1 is somehow considered an improvement? I hate this OS. Just got a new laptop, I can't seem to manage to do anything with it. This is my first exposure to this system, and I'm so frustrated with it right now.

What issues are you having? Hopefully we can help.

My main issue is that it's not Windows 7. I hate change for the sake of change. The old UI was not broken, why fix it.

But in real terms, Windows Easy Transfer was anything but, trying to install the familiar Windows Live email client was a hassle, I hate hate hate the start menu, and I don't like how the OS wants to funnel me into their new metro-style applications instead of what I know and like. (I don't want to use their new mail application, I want to use Windows Live. I don't want Xbox Music, I want the regular media player, that sort of stuff.) Even the media player messed up my library (lost tons of metadata on thousands of songs), but I was fortunately able to find a fix for it.

To fast forward to the conclusion, this operating system is basically making me hate smart phones.

cbox

My main issue is that it's not Windows 7. I hate change for the sake of change. The old UI was not broken, why fix it.

But in real terms, Windows Easy Transfer was anything but, trying to install the familiar Windows Live email client was a hassle, I hate hate hate the start menu, and I don't like how the OS wants to funnel me into their new metro-style applications instead of what I know and like. (I don't want to use their new mail application, I want to use Windows Live. I don't want Xbox Music, I want the regular media player, that sort of stuff.) Even the media player messed up my library (lost tons of metadata on thousands of songs), but I was fortunately able to find a fix for it.

To fast forward to the conclusion, this operating system is basically making me hate smart phones.

From the start screen search for "default app settings" and then click there to choose your default apps.

Akxy0vi.png

Drifters

and for as long as I've used WinXp and Win7, I am loving 8.1. The UI doesn't get in the way and the split screen apps across dual-monitors is f'ning amazing.

Really impressed by what Microsoft has done with it, will never hate on 8 again.

Joe

Guys and gals, is there a touch-centric web browser for Windows 8.1 on tablets?

I got my mom a 7" Win 8.1 tablet and she's a super basic user. The touch version of IE that comes with it is OK but the buttons and text fields are still pretty small.

I basically need something with larger buttons and text fields and being able to add an extension that forces a mobile user agent would be amazing.

My Google searches are telling me that either this doesn't exist or I can't find it.

The Google Search app is OK as well but it's a little buggy and forces full desktop versions of websites.

Guys and gals, is there a touch-centric web browser for Windows 8.1 on tablets?

I got my mom a 7" Win 8.1 tablet and she's a super basic user. The touch version of IE that comes with it is OK but the buttons and text fields are still pretty small.

I basically need something with larger buttons and text fields and being able to add an extension that forces a mobile user agent would be amazing.

My Google searches are telling me that either this doesn't exist or I can't find it.

The Google Search app is OK as well but it's a little buggy and forces full desktop versions of websites.
I think you can increase the UI size for touch IE in the settings, though I think it will also make the homepages larger.

Azih

For my father the only thing that really helps is the 'magnifier' option of the OS. Not a great solution but these are pretty tiny tablets. If someone has a better solution than I'm all ears.

Pooya

You can zoom in IE metro, it's in the settings, it sticks so everything gets larger forever.

For changing user agent string you have to go through group policy editor or registry, google it, there are guides.

Has anyone ever seen this weird bug and know of any solutions? Basically if I try to open up the Windows Store it just stays at the splash screen with a perpetual loading ring... though oddly enough the LiveTile is still being updated and is animating with new content

I have tried to solve it using the Powershell script
Code:
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML
All it does is get stuck at "Registering" or stay at "Processing: " 0% forever.
If I try to solve it using the CMD line "wsreset.exe" it reloads the Windows Store, but doesn't solve the problem so it continuously loads forever.
Also tried using the 'Windows Store Appx Troubleshooter", but it also freezes at "Registering"

Really getting annoying because I'm running really close to a deadline for my Capstone project and this bug is stopping me from deploying my game to my main Dev-Machine so I can test. :\

can someone help me...

getting this error when trying to install windows

my internet connection is fine and this is a legit copy of windows
i;ve been using it for over a year. One day, i reformated my computer and got this error when i tried to reinstall

microsoft support isnt any help (making me buy a phyical copy because no iso's are available)

Top Bottom