• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

dLMN8R

Yeah, in one of the settings panes.

I've also been streaming music for the last 30 minutes or so and haven't heard any ads.

Weird? I definitely don't have an Xbox Music Pass.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Weird: Does anyone use Xbox Music for streaming on PC? It used to show a 10-hour-per-month streaming limit for free accounts, but I'm not seeing that anymore. Did they get rid of it?
Huh, didn't know that, I had never even opened the Xbox Music app.
Just did and it says this on the main page: "Free streaming limited to 10 hours/month after 6 months; unlimited with paid subscription. Internet required; ISP fees apply."
I don't see anything on the setting panes either btw.

dLMN8R

Yeah, that was 6 months after the release of Windows 8 or 8.1...we're long past that now, and I personally have been using Xbox Music on this particular computer for much longer than 6 months too.

Gameloft's Modern Combat 5 is a Windows Universal App. supports moga and xbox pads too for those who don't like touch controls. only $5.99 and you can download on all Windows platforms.

linkboy

As much as I like Windows 8.1, I had to drop back down to 7. 8.1 just doesn't get along with my wireless card on my laptop. I'm consistently getting kicked into limited mode, disconnect and re-connect, only for it it happen again.

I've removed the MS drivers and dropped back to the ones from Sony's website, I've done everything I've read by googling the problem and nothing seems to fix it.

I don't have that issue at all with 7.

Why doesn't Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com get along very well?

I have emails flagged in outlook.com but unflagged on outlook and vice versa. Same for tasks, which is really annoying because I wanted them to show up on my phone :(

Ms really needs to improve cloud integration for outlook.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Why doesn't Outlook 2013 and Outlook.com get along very well?

I have emails flagged in outlook.com but unflagged on outlook and vice versa. Same for tasks, which is really annoying because I wanted them to show up on my phone :(

Ms really needs to improve cloud integration for outlook.
outlook.com is the new hotmail/live mail.

if you use exchange, then use your company's outlook web portal. probably something like outlook.com/owa

outlook.com is the new hotmail/live mail.

if you use exchange, then use your company's outlook web portal. probably something like outlook.com/owa

I should have clarified better, I'm using both with my personal outlook.com account (which is also synced to my phone).

Contacts and calendar sync perfectly fine between outlook and outlook.com, but tasks and flagged messages are kinda of a mixed bag.

I usually use the webmail app or the metro app, I recently added outlook to the mix, so I could sync my onenote todo lists with outlook and in chain to my phone XD

Having an issue with my Surface Pro 2 that I just noticed. On my desktop open metro apps appear on the taskbar and have access to the taskbar when inside them. I can't do that on my surface pro 2. I know it got the update though because metro apps can be pinned and right-clicking on the start menu brings up the traditional options.

Also, is there a way to reduce the size of the address bar/top in the beta version of chrome?

So, my start button decides it doesn't want to work out of nowhere. I've been fine with 8.1 fo about three days and then this begins to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgH70h3i53k

Anyone else experience this?

If so, you're definitely not alone. See here...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ndows-81-upgrade-new-start-button-unclickable

EDIT/UPDATE

Ahhh...

Just found something interesting. If you move the task bar to another part of the screen, the start button works again. BUT, if you move it back to the default(bottom of course)it still will not work without rebooting the entire machine.

Suen

My computer keeps booting itself up after I put it to sleep, likely some Windows update shit that is set to turn on the my PC at specific times. How the fuck do I turn off any shit that turns on my PC without my permission? Is there a list somewhere that tells me what services that are allowed to boot my PC?

dLMN8R

My computer keeps booting itself up after I put it to sleep, likely some Windows update shit that is set to turn on the my PC at specific times. How the fuck do I turn off any shit that turns on my PC without my permission? Is there a list somewhere that tells me what services that are allowed to boot my PC?
Windows Update doesn't wake up computers. It's probably some driver. From a command prompt do:

powercfg /lastwake

Suen

Windows Update doesn't wake up computers. It's probably some driver. From a command prompt do:

powercfg /lastwake
Tried and it doesn't tell me much, and I checked this now just after my computer booted itself on again. Seems like it's the same time always. All I got was this:

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

PriitV

Does it do it right after putting it to sleep? What fixed it for me was turning the Wake on LAN option off under network adapter settings. Apparently, Win8+ doesn't play well with the dead noise coming from the ethernet cable.

Chris R

What is the best start button replacement program? Classic Shell?

Already spent 45 minutes hacking the registry to clean shit up. Boot to lock screen on a Desktop? Require a password? Include useless crap folders/sidebar shit in Explorer? Microsoft plz.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember a planned update being announced that would have some kind of Start Menu like interface, but I thought it was supposed to be out by now. I haven't found any new settings after the last update I got, does anyone know when that's supposed to come out, or if it still is?

I believe they just said in a few Windows/update to Windows.

Currently the word going around is that Windows "9" will be a free upgrade to those with 7 or 8.x.
Yeah, reading the reports again they do say it's coming in future updates to windows rather than saying it was coming to 8.1 outright. Hmmm. I hope it's a free upgrade. Since with the rumored new way of activation I don't think I could go and get it on the cheap like I did 8.1.

Is there any W 8.1 apps (both desktop and metro) that support chrome cast, other than chrome itself? Specially interested in video players :p

maeh2k

Does anyone here use a tool like Whizmouse or Katmouse to enable the mouse wheel on windows that are not in focus?

I've tried both, and while they work fine on the Desktop, they both seem to have some issues in Metro apps.

Any alternatives?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I have a stupid question.

I have start8 on my windows 8.1 laptop. Now, when I used skype on windows 7, and I minimized the screen, I would be able to still see the person I was talking to on a smaller window when I was browsing the internet or whatever. Anyone know how I can do this on Skype on WIndows 8? Thanks.

I have start8 on my windows 8.1 laptop. Now, when I used skype on windows 7, and I minimized the screen, I would be able to still see the person I was talking to on a smaller window when I was browsing the internet or whatever. Anyone know how I can do this on Skype on WIndows 8? Thanks.

Use the Skype program not the app. Its still the same

You can if you use the program like Damon said, but everyone knows that Metro Skype snapped to side is the best way to Skype 8|

Velcro Fly

So is there any solution to the constant disconnects from the internet? I'm getting really tired of not being able to watch streams or play games online because I'm getting kicked off the internet at least one or twice a day. I've googled and it seems to be a widespread problem with a few fixes and I've tried one or two of them but nothing worked.

Holy shit, I have encountered nothing but frustrations since upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1. For starters, I lost like half of my photos from my summer vacation with my girlfriend for apparently no reason and yet there is no Windows.old file on my laptop. Also, ever since updating to 8.1, I have had nothing but problems with my Wi-Fi connection, which constantly is limited and/or drops. I'm half inclined just to do a factory restore and go back to 8. God damn, Windows 7 was amazing. How did they screw things up so bad with 8 and 8.1?

cbox

Always back up your important files before doing a major upgrade. It's really that simple. 8.1 has been awesome for me and many others. Regardless, check your pc manufacturer for the most updated drivers or try a clean install, etc.

So my wifi extender died yesterday and I went to buy a new one today. I need to sign in on my PC to set up the new connection but I can't because it keeps fucking telling me I am offline and asks me to sign in with the latest password I used. I did and it didn't work and my account eventually got locked. I did a password reset of my Microsoft account and of course it still doesn't work since I have no fucking network. No I can't connect it to the modem/router and yes that includes using an Ethernet cable as well. I use a cable from the extender to my desktop, connecting it to the modem is out of the question So what can I do to sign in?

Seriously fuck Microsoft and fuck whatever dumbhead that designed this shit. I can't sign in on my own computer because I'm not connected to the network but I need to sign in to fucking create a connection. Brilliant. Yes I realize there is an offline account setting, too bad they didn't make it obvious and did everything possible to make you choose a Microshit account when you created one.

Whoever that designed this piece of the system needs to be fired and have Windows 8 shoved up where the sun don't shine because as it is currently that's where it belongs.

GTI Guy

So my wifi extender died yesterday and I went to buy a new one today. I need to sign in on my PC to set up the new connection but I can't because it keeps fucking telling me I am offline and asks me to sign in with the latest password I used. I did and it didn't work and my account eventually got locked. I did a password reset of my Microsoft account and of course it still doesn't work since I have no fucking network. No I can't connect it to the modem/router and yes that includes using an Ethernet cable as well. I use a cable from the extender to my desktop, connecting it to the modem is out of the question So what can I do to sign in?

Seriously fuck Microsoft and fuck whatever dumbhead that designed this shit. I can't sign in on my own computer because I'm not connected to the network but I need to sign in to fucking create a connection. Brilliant. Yes I realize there is an offline account setting, too bad they didn't make it obvious and did everything possible to make you choose a Microshit account when you created one.

Whoever that designed this piece of the system needs to be fired and have Windows 8 shoved up where the sun don't shine because as it is currently that's where it belongs.

You forgot your password....Microsoft's fault. LOL

Top Bottom