• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

maeh2k

I'm in the process of setting up a new laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro (updated from 8.0) for work. The system is supposed to be encrypted and I'm not familiar with Bitlocker.

I activated Bitlocker for the system drive and since it's a new machine without any real data on it I selected the option to only encrypt the used space and not the full drive. I also selected the option to store the Bitlocker recovery key to my OneDrive. Then it showed how it was encrypting C:/. When finished it told me to reboot, which I did. How long is that first activation supposed to take? It's been telling me to have a little patience for an hour just before the login screen. I might have selected an option to do some check of the encrypted drive, but I'm not sure.

How exactly will Bitlocker work? Will it just use my regular Microsoft ID to log in? I don't think I saw an option to enter another password.
Does it work the same/as well as TrueCrypt, or are there any security consideration why I'd choose TrueCrypt instead?

Also, how does Bitlocker work with FileHistory? If I want to back up the system using FileHistory, will the data still be encrypted? Or do I have to encrypt the drive before I activate FileHistory?

Should I also do anything with TPM? I just did a clean install on the machine and haven't changed/activated any TPM stuff (but I saw some TPM manager application that would let me do some stuff).

OneNote on the phone has no undo functionality. I've lost so much shit when trying to copy/paste to something else and hitting backspace or something instead. Incredibly annoying.

Oh shit. Never noticed that, now that I'm aware of the problem I'll probably end up collapsing all my notebooks XD

Anyone know why there seems to be a limit to how "deep" you can dive in the OneDrive Metro app?

I think the folder I was trying to get to what:

D:\Folder 1\Folder 2\Folder 3\Folder 4\Folder 5\Folder 6

But Folder 6, which contained about five documents I needed, didn't show up, either in the Desktop route (Surface RT) or the app. Once I moved the docs from Folder 6 to Folder 5, I could access them.

the total directory structure + file name is limited to 260 char

Coming up to the end of the day and im on 52% after 15 hours. Battery saver would usually on by now. Great improvement. Hope it stays like that.

IE is still a massive hog though.

Jzero

Anyone have dual monitors and their mouse pointer gets 'stuck' on the edge of the screen instead of going to the next monitor if you don't 'push' hard enough ? Shit is annoying.

PriitV

Anyone have dual monitors and their mouse pointer gets 'stuck' on the edge of the screen instead of going to the next monitor if you don't 'push' hard enough ? Shit is annoying.

I'm not near mine but if I remember correctly this applies to only 5 pixels on top and bottom of the screen so you could access the charm menus with ease.

Kabuto

yup; it was fine a month ago for me so I'm thinking Update 1 did something.

Megasoum

Banned
So I unchecked the boxes in the taskbar options to disable the bottom right of the screen mouseover function to show the charms but they are still showing up... Anybody else has that issue?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I unchecked the boxes in the taskbar options to disable the bottom right of the screen mouseover function to show the charms but they are still showing up... Anybody else has that issue?
AFAIK you can only disable the upper-left and upper-right hot corners, the two bottom ones are always active.

My start screen layout stopped syncing between my devices, even though everything is set up to sync on all of them?

How can I force it to sync?

Microsoft just announced Windows 8.1 with Bing.

"Microsoft has finally confirmed the rumors surrounding a new version of Windows 8.1. This new SKU, called Windows 8.1 with Bing is targeted towards OEMs and will allow them to build lower cost Windows devices.

The new SKU will require Bing as the default search engine within Internet Explorer but the consumer will be able to change the default once they start using the device.
"

No, today OEMs usually make deals with Google or other providers to set them as the default search engine for $$$ in return. Just like how Norton or whatever else is preinstalled.
Ah yeah guess that makes sense, been a long time since I bought a machine that wasn't one of those MS preferred or whatever it's called that doesn't have all the junk software on it.

So, basically lower license fee in exchange for keeping the MS defaults. Seems like a good idea.

manfestival

so I was looking at the student programs for getting windows but it seems like everything is about getting an UPGRADE to windows 8.1. I am personally looking for a brand new system approach. I assume that its not offered to students and its something I have to go through retail to obtain? I was also reading that there is an OEM and system builder type of windows and that OEM is tied to your MOBO . So is the system builder the traditional software of the past where I can boot from the BIOS and then wipe everything and start fresh as many times as I would like or is that limited too? I am reading good things about windows 8 so I am getting itchy to try it out

maeh2k

so I was looking at the student programs for getting windows but it seems like everything is about getting an UPGRADE to windows 8.1. I am personally looking for a brand new system approach. I assume that its not offered to students and its something I have to go through retail to obtain? I was also reading that there is an OEM and system builder type of windows and that OEM is tied to your MOBO . So is the system builder the traditional software of the past where I can boot from the BIOS and then wipe everything and start fresh as many times as I would like or is that limited too? I am reading good things about windows 8 so I am getting itchy to try it out

Does your university participate in the Dreamspark program? A lot of students do get Windows for free via that program.

manfestival

Does your university participate in the Dreamspark program? A lot of students do get Windows for free via that program.

It states that the program goes for 10 dollars through the college/dreamspark program. However, it only gives me the option for upgrade. I honestly just want to go legit after all these years.

sangreal

you can clean install windows 8.1 upgrade

I just did it yesterday. Bought a new cpu/mb/ram and wiped my ssd to enable edrive so I installed w/ no previous OS. I did have to call the automated system to get an activation code though since my key was previously activated on my old pc

Exuro

So I did a fresh install of 8 on a friends computer, but it seems to get stuck on "checking for updates" in the windows update window. It's been like that for around 30 minutes. Nothing is frozen, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything other than than green bar moving. Anything I can do to get it to work?

MCD

So I did a fresh install of 8 on a friends computer, but it seems to get stuck on "checking for updates" in the windows update window. It's been like that for around 30 minutes. Nothing is frozen, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything other than than green bar moving. Anything I can do to get it to work?

WU can be a bitch. Wait a bit more.

Branduil

Really not happy they still don't have an update that fixed my broken CD and BD drives. But they have time to waste on dumb Bing stuff that no one will ever give a crap about.

maeh2k

I have a Windows 8.1 machine on which I've created a 100 GB virtual machine (Linux) via VirtualBox. How do I best go about backing it up?

I'm currently creating a full system image of the drive, but ideally, I'd also like to make incremental backups. I suspect if I add the VM to a library and activate File History, it couldn't really do incremental backups of the VM, but would try to back up the 100GB virtual disk every hour. Right?
Is there some backup software that could help me here? Or is there a way to do incremental backups of the virtual machine from within the machine?

cbox

Really not happy they still don't have an update that fixed my broken CD and BD drives. But they have time to waste on dumb Bing stuff that no one will ever give a crap about.

I'm pretty sure that's up to your drive manufacturer, not Microsoft.

MarkusRJR

So I got myself a new Windows 8.1 hybrid (Lenovo Yoga 2 11"), but I'm having some issues regarding Metro IE. I can't seem to open the touch friendly Metro Internet Explorer no matter what orientation/laptop mode I'm in. I use chrome for laptop browsing but when I'm in tablet mode I kind of want to use something more touch friendly. How do I default it to turn on to the touch friendly IE?

EDIT: It seems making IE default makes it function normally, but the moment I change out Chrome as the default browser, it fucks up and only opens in Desktop view. Help?

So I got myself a new Windows 8.1 hybrid (Lenovo Yoga 2 11"), but I'm having some issues regarding Metro IE. I can't seem to open the touch friendly Metro Internet Explorer no matter what orientation/laptop mode I'm in. I use chrome for laptop browsing but when I'm in tablet mode I kind of want to use something more touch friendly. How do I default it to turn on to the touch friendly IE?

EDIT: It seems making IE default makes it function normally, but the moment I change out Chrome as the default browser, it fucks up and only opens in Desktop view. Help?
There's not much we can do, Metro IE only works when IE is the default browser. :/

Metro IE only works when IE is the default browser.

Yes, it's true.
No, I don't know why.
Yes, it's stupid.

MarkusRJR

There's not much we can do, Metro IE only works when IE is the default browser. :/

Yes, it's true.
No, I don't know why.
Yes, it's stupid.
Wow that's really dumb. Guess I'll make Chrome never remind me again and set IE as my default browser. Really loving having a legit laptop finally though, I was living off of a tablet/phone for about 2-3 years.

Yes, it's true.
No, I don't know why.
Yes, it's stupid.

They said it's because metro browsers have special powers other metro apps don't have, and the only way to make sure the app is an browser is if it is the default system browser.

(Yeah, it's stupid anyway)

DonMigs85

There's a new AMD WDDM 1.3 graphics driver showing up as an optional download in Windows Update, is it worth installing if I already have Catalyst 14.4?

Lots of sites are reporting that the Start Menu is no longer coming to Windows 8.1. It's been pushed back to Windows 9/Threshold in April 2015.

Sensible move in my opinion. Rather than tack on a half-baked feature, they can implement something a bit more integrated and elegant and then use it to help give Windows 9 a strong marketing push.

Lots of sites are reporting that the Start Menu is no longer coming to Windows 8.1. It's been pushed back to Windows 9/Threshold in April 2015.

Sensible move in my opinion. Rather than tack on a half-baked feature, they can implement something a bit more integrated and elegant and then use it to help give Windows 9 a strong marketing push.

I thought the old school start menu was a Windows 9 thing from the start

After criticizing Windows 8 for being unintuitive and plagued with serious bugs (slow wi-fi speed with ramdom disconnections, sound card driver that needed to be reinstalled after every reboot) I've given it another try.

It's better than last time, for sure. Windows (8.1 with Update 1) finally works as intended so I'm keeping it. I don't like the flat design (I liked Aero from Windows 7) but the performance increase makes up for it. Good job, MS.

Quick

Banned
I'm having a minor issue with Windows 8.1, where my currently opened folder would suddenly jump to Homegroup. It happens semi-regularly. It's annoying more than anything, because I'd be copying something and it would suddenly just go to the Homegroup folder. No viruses, as far as I've checked.

That being said, is there a key combo that I'm somehow pressing that does that? Because it only ever happens when I CTRL+C and CTRL+V.

Example: I'd be copying from one folder to another, and the end destination would suddenly skip to Homegroup all of a sudden.

Anyone else experiencing weird black flashes and issues with GAF ads on ie?

It started out of no where, on 3 different windows 8 devices for me. It's just on GAF, and just when an ad is on screen.

Since dLMN8R usually pops up in this thread, I was wondering what he thought of this. Apparently, Photoshop and other CC products don't have proper scaling of icons for high DPI displays because:
Windows doesn't have Retina style scaling APIs yet, and has some problems in the existing attempt at scaling UIs.
We are continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems, but don't have a solution for Windows yet.

Photoshop does have UI font scaling, but no way to scale the icons and other UI elements on Windows at this time.
From https://forums.adobe.com/message/5794616#5794616
However, I thought he said that Windows does have some scaling functionality, or was that something different? Especially since the Office apps scale really well, is this something on Adobe's end?

dLMN8R

Windows has supported high-DPI scaling basically forever. But the desire to retain backwards compatibility has complicated the story because many apps declare that they're DPI-aware when they actually aren't. So lying about their capabilities has then screwed things over when it ultimately becomes necessary.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/.../15/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-enhancements.aspx

You can see plenty of complex applications with custom UI handling this perfectly. For example, the Unreal Engine 4 editor works flawlessly on high-DPI machines. So it doesn't even require that the application uses standard UI controls.

Windows has supported high-DPI scaling basically forever. But the desire to retain backwards compatibility has complicated the story because many apps declare that they're DPI-aware when they actually aren't. So lying about their capabilities has then screwed things over when it ultimately becomes necessary.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/.../15/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-enhancements.aspx

You can see plenty of complex applications with custom UI handling this perfectly. For example, the Unreal Engine 4 editor works flawlessly on high-DPI machines. So it doesn't even require that the application uses standard UI controls.
Thanks for the reply. I knew something was up when most applications didn't have any glaring errors.

thenexus6

Not exactly the right thread but couldn't find a office one..

Okay so my parents and my little sister went to Florida and bought her a small windows 8 laptop and office for her school work at the mircosoft store. I tried activating it in her laptop but couldn't because of region lock (we're in the UK) so I have an unused Office 365 code here for 5 PCs and Macs for 1 year sub.

I looked online and its retailing at $99 on both Amazon US and Microsoft US stores. If someone paypals me £40 / 45 ($68.47 / 77.03 according to google!) I will ping you over the code to use! That seems like a decent price to me?

My Dad tends to keep all his receipts I can't find it at the moment but I will ask him when he gets home later.

Image link: http://imgur.com/6LNneen

Question: Is it just me, my Thinkpad Tablet 2, or is IE11 on Windows 8.1 that much faster than Chrome (or even Firefox)? I'm trying to tweak Chrome to work well on this tablet, but IE11 smokes it regardless of Desktop or Modern mode. Any tips on speeding/smoothing it up?

I really don't want to move away from Chrome...

dLMN8R

Weird: Does anyone use Xbox Music for streaming on PC? It used to show a 10-hour-per-month streaming limit for free accounts, but I'm not seeing that anymore. Did they get rid of it?

Top Bottom