• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

I didn't have the option for 30 days like I did with 7, I had to install the key in order to continue the installation...

You have to add a file to the iso to give you access to the skip button based on what I have found. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure between having Windows 7 Ultimate and a Window 8.1 core key and the possibility that upgrading a windows installation that has not yet been activated is impossible even with a full key, I think a clean install is in my near future. Probably better off anyway, I guess.

New version of OblyTile just came out with updated 8.1 support and features

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899865

YX1rzuj.jpg

Do tiles made with this also sync between devices?

Milchjon

MS plans for Windows 8 this holiday season are... quite ambitious.

Hard goals for the holiday season: Sell 16 million Windows tablets, make touch mainstream, and improve the Windows retail experience.

Funding. Last fiscal year, Microsoft spent $241 million on its retail Windows efforts, but that will amount will jump to $405 million this year. $131 million of that is being spent on incentives and offers, while the remaining $274 million is on direct marketing and operating expenses.

Lots more at the link.

maeh2k

MS plans for Windows 8 this holiday season are... quite ambitious.

Apple might sell 25 to 30 million iPads during the holiday season (assuming they'll sell a bit more than last year). Can all Windows tablets combined manage 16 million? Spoiler alert:
No. No, they cannot...

So far I'm not seeing any Windows tablets people are actually going to buy. The Venue Pro 8 and the Asus T100 might do okay, but they aren't the kinds of products that really sell millions of units. None can compete with the low prices of high-quality Android tablets.

Maybe MS can do some creative accounting with regards to what counts as a 'tablet'.

Milchjon

Apple might sell 25 to 30 million iPads during the holiday season (assuming they'll sell a bit more than last year). Can all Windows tablets combined manage 16 million? Spoiler alert:
No. No, they cannot...

So far I'm not seeing any Windows tablets people are actually going to buy. The Venue Pro 8 and the Asus T100 might do okay, but they aren't the kinds of products that really sell millions of units. None can compete with the low prices of high-quality Android tablets.

Maybe MS can do some creative accounting with regards to what counts as a 'tablet'.

I think the mix of an improved OS, better devices with fewer deadly flaws (battery life, screen, weight, maybe even price) and people getting used to Windows 8, there's some appeal to be found. I know between the Atom 8 inchers, the Nokia 2520 and the Surface 2, I'm personally very much interested in one of these tablets.

But yeah, they might be aiming too high.

maeh2k

I think the mix of an improved OS, better devices with fewer deadly flaws (battery life, screen, weight, maybe even price) and people getting used to Windows 8, there's some appeal to be found. I know between the Atom 8 inchers, the Nokia 2520 and the Surface 2, I'm personally very much interested in one of these tablets.

But yeah, they might be aiming too high.

I'm interested, too, but I'm not sold on any of the devices. The Dell is overpriced in Germany and, while the Surface and Lumia might be worth their price tags, I'm not sure I can justify spending that much on a tablet.
The Surface 2 + cover is 550 Euros. The Lumia might even be 599 Euros without the cover (Nokia announced $499 before taxes).

When I look over to the Nexus 7, which costs only 270 Euros, has a higher resolution than any of the Windows tablets with a better aspect ratio, and which runs a mobile OS that isn't doomed, none of the Windows tablets seem all that appealing...

For now, I'll just wait. I'd like to see more devices become available before I make up my mind. Maybe the Miix 2 will be more affordable in Europe. Maybe a device like the Thinkpad Yoga or the Dell XPS 11 will be a better option than getting both a tablet and a notebook... Or maybe I can wait for the Surface 2 Mini.

Really wanted the DVP8, Miix2, or Toshiba Encore but I think I'll go with the Lenovo Yoga 8, an android tablet.

I really fell in love with 8.1 and wanted it in an 8" tablet form. The 8" slabs though aren't at all intriguing compared to the Yoga 8. I think this little Yoga is exactly what the Surface Mini should be.

Android is so drab and dated compared to Metro and its live tiles. If I try to fill my Android home screen with widgets it would look like garbage due to developers not set on an widget design language.

Shame Lenovo didn't have the balls to make the Yoga 8 with RT software, it would be amazing.

I'd love to see what the Surface Mini looks like but who knows when that will be shown. At $249, the Yoga 8 is a quick and cheap stop gap device until more W8 form factors are released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIH7-t9NJhw

maeh2k

Really wanted the DVP8, Miix2, or Toshiba Encore but I think I'll go with the Lenovo Yoga 8, an android tablet.

I really fell in love with 8.1 and wanted it in an 8" tablet form. The 8" slabs though aren't at all intriguing compared to the Yoga 8. I think this little Yoga is exactly what the Surface Mini should be.

Android is so drab and dated compared to Metro and its live tiles. If I try to fill my Android home screen with widgets it would look like garbage due to developers not set on an widget design language.

Shame Lenovo didn't have the balls to make the Yoga 8 with RT software, it would be amazing.

I'd love to see what the Surface Mini looks like but who knows when that will be shown. At $249, the Yoga 8 is a quick and cheap stop gap device until more W8 form factors are released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIH7-t9NJhw

I find the Yoga 8 really unappealing. For an Android tablet at a similar price as the Nexus 7 it's specs aren't competitive. And the stand looks rather cheap, too. And I'm not sure if it will get Android 4.4 and if so, when.

Rengoku

Ever since I upgraded to windows 8.1 from 8, I haven't been able to pair my apple bluetooth keyboard to my laptop anymore, is anyone having a similar problem?

hadareud

The Translator
When I look over to the Nexus 7, which costs only 270 Euros, has a higher resolution than any of the Windows tablets with a better aspect ratio, and which runs a mobile OS that isn't doomed, none of the Windows tablets seem all that appealing...

It's 16:10.

That's barely a difference to 16:9 and I doubt that anyone would care in the slightest about that difference.

Especially since the widescreen aspect ration really isn't great on a 7" tablet while on a 10" tablet there's nothing wrong with it.

edit: also no expandable memory on the 7 renders it quite useless as a media content device.

I find the Yoga 8 really unappealing. For an Android tablet at a similar price as the Nexus 7 it's specs aren't competitive. And the stand looks rather cheap, too. And I'm not sure if it will get Android 4.4 and if so, when.
yoga appeals to me over the nexus 7 due to its larger battery (double capacity), form factor, and SD card. You are right though, specs aren't all that for the price considering the Asus memopad HD 7 is $129.

amazon now has the dell vp8 at $264 now, mighty tempting.

velociraptor

So I've installed Windows 8.1

What's so good about it?

Where is the start menu?

I'm trying to install my AMD video card drivers and the install keeps on freezing. The hell?

DedValve

Banned
just installed windows 8.1 I'd thought we'd get a mix between the start screen and old start menu.

Instead it just takes it you back to the start screen....lol.

Also I'm really tired of trying to disable a password on this thing everytime I turn it on. I have tried almost every option and google gave me at least 4 different ways to "disable" it and it never, ever works!

Someone must have found a way?

I'm also trying to figure out how to invert the scrolling (currently it's like on a mac where scrolling down means a web page goes up).

PG2G

Anyone using mobile.HD to stream MKV to Xbox 360 via Play To? It seems like for subtitles to work you need to use the native renderer and you have to use the default renderer to do play to.

Am I missing something, or is it just not possible?

Is there a cheap upgrade offer to Windows 8? I have Windows 7 but my computer is crippled by viruses and it's really slow. So I rather clean everything up.

just installed windows 8.1 I'd thought we'd get a mix between the start screen and old start menu.

Instead it just takes it you back to the start screen....lol.

Also I'm really tired of trying to disable a password on this thing everytime I turn it on. I have tried almost every option and google gave me at least 4 different ways to "disable" it and it never, ever works!

Someone must have found a way?

I'm also trying to figure out how to invert the scrolling (currently it's like on a mac where scrolling down means a web page goes up).
Windows+C
Settings
Change PC Settings
Accounts
Sign-in Options

Under "Password Policy" set it to "Password is not required when waking this PC from sleep."

Also set up a pin for if it ever does show a password, that way you can reduce it to 4 presses on your numpad instead of having to type out an entire string of characters.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is there a cheap upgrade offer to Windows 8? I have Windows 7 but my computer is crippled by viruses and it's really slow. So I rather clean everything up.

My god man! Every time you post, I just feel sorry for you :( It's probably your avatars fault but it seems like you always have the worst luck. I wish I could help. Twelve months ago, They were practically giving it away and some gaffers got a lot of keys from IEEE. I would toss you one but mine never came. IEEE got my 40 bucks and laughed all the way to the bank :(

Red Comet

You can get Windows 8 Pro for $70 from the Microsoft store if you're a student. That's what I did the other day. Pretty sweet deal considering Pro is normally $200.

DonMigs85

Are there a lot of useful features missing from the Single Language version? That's what my mom has on her Lenovo Thinkpad.

seldead

You can get Windows 8 Pro for $70 from the Microsoft store if you're a student. That's what I did the other day. Pretty sweet deal considering Pro is normally $200.

Is that deal for upgrading from windows 7/vista/etc only or could I use it to boot a fresh install?

KageZero

So im using windows 8.1 preview that is downloaded from MSDN and i can't upgrade to the final version. The instructions say that i should find the update at the store but it wont show on mine (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-preview). Also i tried to run windows update but the only updates it can find are optional ones, 1 for graphics and 1 for sound. Anyone had any similar problems or knows the solution maybe? I have a lot of stuff installed on my pc and i would like to avoid a fresh new installation if possible...

hwalker84

So im using windows 8.1 preview that is downloaded from MSDN and i can't upgrade to the final version. The instructions say that i should find the update at the store but it wont show on mine (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-preview). Also i tried to run windows update but the only updates it can find are optional ones, 1 for graphics and 1 for sound. Anyone had any similar problems or knows the solution maybe? I have a lot of stuff installed on my pc and i would like to avoid a fresh new installation if possible...

Download the 8.1 final from MSDN and install.

clav

What happens when you click on the Store icon?

The update notification fills the screen with a really huge tile.

What's stopping you from downloading the final version if you already have MSDN?

The final version requires a reinstallation of all programs from 8.1 preview. No way around the reinstallation.

KageZero

As i said i have a lot of stuff installed already on my system and it would take around 5-6 hours to set everything up again and i would like to avoid it. Seems it was a mistake to install the preview version after all, that was my bad. Also i'm not sure what to install now, windows 7, 8 or 8.1. I had problems with the 8.1 preview to be honest so i'm not sure if it's fixed in the final version. My pc would occasionally block for 2-3 seconds without any reason and generally it wasn't fluid to work on line windows 7. Also while playing lol every game it would "freeze" the game for a second.

tsumineko

Why the reaction?

It's not like they're going to disable and drop support for mouse and keyboards all of a sudden.

Things aren't just "made mainstream". They become mainstream. They become mainstream by a general consensus that it is the best way.

By Microsoft admitting that it needs to be "made mainstream", they are admitting that it hasn't worked so far, that the general PC user isn't seeing a touch based Windows OS the same way MS see it.

It's MS saying "you will like it, we will make you like it". They aren't listening to their consumer.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Things aren't just "made mainstream". They become mainstream. They become mainstream by a general consensus that it is the best way.

By Microsoft admitting that it needs to be "made mainstream", they are admitting that it hasn't worked so far, that the general PC user isn't seeing a touch based Windows OS the same way MS see it.

It's MS saying "you will like it, we will make you like it". They aren't listening to their consumer.
touch is becoming the mainstream way to interact with computers with or without microsoft's help.

tsumineko

touch is becoming the mainstream way to interact with computers with or without microsoft's help.

On tablets and phones, sure. Laptops and PC's? Who knows yet. Windows 8 sales are lacking, so it could go either way. That's for the PC using public to decide, not Microsoft. And as per Microsoft's own admission, so far they are deciding "no".

Quick

Banned

They "become mainstream" with a strong push by the company and the end user. That line ("make touch mainstream"), to me, translates to "market touchscreen better." It's not a crime to admit the need to adjust strategy or focus.

Touch technology is now a must when it comes to making any portable computing device. Smartphones, tablets, handheld consoles, etc. Clearly people are buying into it. Microsoft is clearly listening to their consumers (those same people buying tablets and smartphones) if they're making an effort to push touch screens for Windows 8.

In that particular quote, "make touch mainstream" is referring to their Surface tablets. So, again, it's not like Microsoft is going to suddenly drop support for and/or disable mouse and keyboard and forcing you to buy a touch-enabled monitor. Maybe one day, when everyone has shifted to touch, they'll drop support for it. But that definitely won't happen for a long, long time. And Microsoft will continue to make Windows with both touch and mouse and keyboard in mind as long as the majority of Windows users are still decidedly on the one side.

It doesn't hurt to explore and popularize another aspect of it.

TLDR: Calm your ass down, use your mouse and keyboard if you want to.

dLMN8R

I keep hearing people say that they try to touch the screen on their macbooks and it's weird that it doesn't work. Try to think of the kids of today growing up with iPads and trying to explain to them why they can't touch the screens on their laptops.

That's a perfect opportunity to "make something mainstream". Steve Jobs tried to convince everyone that "gorilla arm" is a real thing (even though that whole premise is bullshit), but it was just another "nobody reads books/wants to watch video on ipods/wants mini-tablets" misdirection until they're ready to do it themselves.

So, again, it's not like Microsoft is going to suddenly drop support for and/or disable mouse and keyboard and forcing you to buy a touch-enabled monitor. Maybe one day, when everyone has shifted to touch, they'll drop support for it. But that definitely won't happen for a long, long time. And Microsoft will continue to make Windows with both touch and mouse and keyboard in mind as long as the majority of Windows users are still decidedly on the one side.

Touch is first priority and the mouse is in a supplemental role. There'll be niche use cases best-suited for the mouse. Same thing with the desktop. Secondary role by default for PCs. Nobody is dropping support. Focus is merely shifting for the out of the box experience.

tsumineko

They "become mainstream" with a strong push by the company and the end user. That line ("make touch mainstream"), to me, translates to "market touchscreen better." It's not a crime to admit the need to adjust strategy or focus.

Touch technology is now a must when it comes to making any portable computing device. Smartphones, tablets, handheld consoles, etc. Clearly people are buying into it. Microsoft is clearly listening to their consumers (those same people buying tablets and smartphones) if they're making an effort to push touch screens for Windows 8.

In that particular quote, "make touch mainstream" is referring to their Surface tablets. So, again, it's not like Microsoft is going to suddenly drop support for and/or disable mouse and keyboard and forcing you to buy a touch-enabled monitor. Maybe one day, when everyone has shifted to touch, they'll drop support for it. But that definitely won't happen for a long, long time. And Microsoft will continue to make Windows with both touch and mouse and keyboard in mind as long as the majority of Windows users are still decidedly on the one side.

It doesn't hurt to explore and popularize another aspect of it.

TLDR: Calm your ass down, use your mouse and keyboard if you want to.

There really is no need to be aggressive if you do not agree. I'm only going off of what Microsoft have said themselves. I am not discussing my own touch or non-touch preferences here. I do not use Windows 8 as my main OS, only for gaming, so either way none of this has any effect on me. I am discussing MS's belief that they can just "make something mainstream" despite an apparent acceptance that the consumer is pushing against their vision. They are not instead learning from what the consumer is telling them. That is why Windows 8 is not performing.

Even in that article, they claim reviews being "mixed" of Windows 8 as a reason why Windows 8 is not performing. Their solution? Market it more. There doesn't appear to be a lot of reflection going on, only blaming. This is a massive problem.

I keep hearing people say that they try to touch the screen on their macbooks and it's weird that it doesn't work. Try to think of the kids of today growing up with iPads and trying to explain to them why they can't touch the screens on their laptops.

That's a perfect opportunity to "make something mainstream". Steve Jobs tried to convince everyone that "gorilla arm" is a real thing (even though that whole premise is bullshit), but it was just another "nobody reads books/wants to watch video on ipods/wants mini-tablets" misdirection until they're ready to do it themselves.

I will say that as some anecdotal evidence, my cousins have some young kids, and they will never be using non-touch computing devices. It's just not something they'll ever learn, they know how to use a tablet before they can walk.

Veal

Is anyone else experiencing extreme intermittent frame skipping? On the desktop, in game, it doesn't matter. I've been getting this horrible frame skipping that I didn't have before and I can't find a single resource on the matter.

KageZero

Yup I think I have the same problem, although for me it looks like windows is freezing for a second or two but I'm using the preview version. Still haven't found solution on internet but think I will return to win 7 or eventually 8

Saw the 8" Dell and have to say that the desktop view is pretty much useless for anything less than 10 inches. Office is almost useless. That said, the rumored Surface Mini probably isn't coming anytime soon and will probably launch when Office Touch is released.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Saw the 8" Dell and have to say that the desktop view is pretty much useless for anything less than 10 inches. Office is almost useless. That said, the rumored Surface Mini probably isn't coming anytime soon and will probably launch when Office Touch is released.

Did you see it with the scale factor for the desktop bumped up? How was usability with the finer tip of the stylus?

DonMigs85

Is anyone else experiencing extreme intermittent frame skipping? On the desktop, in game, it doesn't matter. I've been getting this horrible frame skipping that I didn't have before and I can't find a single resource on the matter.

Do you have an AMD GPU?

Crisco

Banned
Did the upgrade from 8 this weekend. I like the boot to desktop and going straight to the wall of apps when clicking the "Start" button. Best part is that it free'd up over 6GB of space on my primary partition.

People internal are well aware of the mouse problem. It's far more rare and extremely difficult to reproduce than anyone thinks.

It really needs to be fix, nobody care how hard it is for Microsoft to fix it. Put your best people on it for crying out loud. It's really is annoying to have your mouse and keyboard constantly freezing. I thought it was just Steelseries mouse but even Microsoft own mouse is giving me trouble.

zou

@dlMN8R any chance you guys are looking into the non-responsive ui issue in IE during page load? Starting with the public Win8 preview, I've been unable to stop a current request. The UI registers the touch event, but nothing actually happens until the page completes loading. Switching tabs while a page loads in the current tab is also rather unresponsive, it usually takes until the page finished loading for it to actually switch to the selected tab.

been happening in all 8.0 and 8.1 versions, with rt and x86 and on multiple devices, including surface 2.

I have problem with IE Metro keep hanging on both my laptop and Dell Venue Pro 8. It would pause for several seconds and sometimes doesn't register touch input (on Dell).

Also is there a way to keep NeoGaf on mobile? It keeps reversing to desktop mode.

braves01

Banned
Okay, I just updated to 8.1. All my icons and tiles and Windows related stuff looks like a crisp 1080, but chrome, steam, and itunes look like shit and are clearly a much lower res. Why is this, and what can I do to fix it without messing anything else up besides moving my couch back? I've already tried fiddling with displays in personalize, which fixed chrome but made all my icons incredibly small.

Top Bottom