• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
There is a bug in 8.1 in which some installs will grind CPU on some windows backup process. You can see if you have it by looking in process explorer and seeing something like 10-40% for system idle process any barely anything else listed. Disabling that service in schedule tasks gets rid of it.

I don't need backup service anyway, I have proprietary tools that can image any relevant OS in a matter of minutes.

Had the same problem and root cause is not Intel PROSet Monitoring service according to me, but the fact that the Scheduled Task under 'Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\ConfigNotification' starts the following process:
%systemroot%\System32\sdclt.exe /CONFIGNOTIFICATION
Workaround is to either remove or disable this task and reboot your system.
Have already seen this on 2 systems.

I started off with a legit win8 copy.

Moved to preview 8.1

Now I can't find the upgrade for RTM 8.1 in the store.

What do I do?

Edit: found it: ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

Put that in the browser kids.

Wurdfurd

I knew that 50/50 split of metro apps would be better than normal snap, but its completely changed how i lay out my desktop and apps. 8.1 is a definite step up. Keep it up MS

Why for the love of god did they remove the right click menu from the slide out network properties. How the fuck do I change a Wifi password for a network now? These idiots don't make it easy to like what they do...

Edit: Ok so there is a little more complicated option there, as usual with MS, if I try to connect to the network (even knowing it wont connect, but hey fuck me right?) then 8.1 will figure out the password is invalid and I can forget the network. So is there no other way apart from letting windows 8.1 connect to the network, figuring out the old password doesn't work, then forgetting the network - to change a wifi password? Seriously MS?

Enco

Can anyone tell me why the new metro snap is so good?

I can only see it as a pro for tablets.

It's pretty pointless on desktops in my eyes.

Addnan

Can anyone tell me why the new metro snap is so good?

I can only see it as a pro for tablets.

It's pretty pointless on desktops in my eyes.

Well I like being able to use the Netflix app in one half of the screen. Generally has better video quality than the browser. I just discovered snap lol. Hence the how to tab :p

screenshot82oosmy.png

edit: This hasn't always been in has it?

edit again: Wow, so some form snap always existed now you can just re-size. How did I not know lol.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well I like being able to use the Netflix app in one half of the screen. Generally has better video quality than the browser. I just discovered snap lol. Hence the how to tab :p

edit: This hasn't always been in has it?

edit again: Wow, so some form snap always existed now you can just re-size. How did I not know lol.
I suggest you look at the help and tips app which is installed by default. Might find things you didn't know about.

Dazzla

Does anyone here use Windows 8 or 8.1 on a domain? When I initially log in with a Microsoft account the metro apps work fine. As soon as I join the domain no metro apps work. Logging back in as a local account the metro apps still work so I suspect it may be something to do with group policy.

I couldn't find anything in group policy related to metro apps. Running SBS 2011 (essential 2008 R2).

Gallbaro

Banned
Does anyone here use Windows 8 or 8.1 on a domain? When I initially log in with a Microsoft account the metro apps work fine. As soon as I join the domain no metro apps work. Logging back in as a local account the metro apps still work so I suspect it may be something to do with group policy.

I couldn't find anything in group policy related to metro apps. Running SBS 2011 (essential 2008 R2).

We work fine, probably has something to do with live accounts

sikma42

Banned
I knew that 50/50 split of metro apps would be better than normal snap, but its completely changed how i lay out my desktop and apps. 8.1 is a definite step up. Keep it up MS

yea, im in the market for a new laptop. Will prob pull the trigger as a Christmas present for myself. I like the snap feature so much that it is actually making me very hesitant to jump to OS X. Seems great.

hwateber

Heads up for anyone with steel series engine installed. DO NOT upgrade to 8.1 unless you uninstall the engine first. If it successfully installs you will not be able to boot (even in safe mode) without manually deleting the driver. Caused me a big headache last night. I ended up reverting to 8 while I wait for steelseries to release an update

niunhuiio

If I install 8.1 and go back to 8, is there some backup/shadow copy program I can use that won't delete all my apps as I downgrade?

bro1

Banned
Had my very first and only BSOD in a year last night using 8.1. It was NVidia driver related as I tried to do surround gaming and unplugged a monitor at the wrong time.

Pooya

you still can't customize window colors -_- whyyyyyy
Only when you pick high contrast theme, Microsoft thinks you need to change the colors...
Dark colors are essentially pointless, because you can't see the title text anymore. I like to know their dumb reason for this, should be good for laughs. the issue has been around since last year and in the preview too I think. Now I have to jump through hoops again to modify system dll and use modified theme, just to change a damn color. Which already has a menu in the OS but they don't let you use the feature that has been around in Windows since forever...

same goes for icon text on desktop.

derFeef

Has anyone a solution to the autocorrection / highlighting issue? It's turned off in the settings, but it's not working as you can see.

Ur5yZy1.png

Exuro

My issues with this is that it doesn't seem to allow you to rewind/fastforward without making it fullscreen which is why I've decided to stick with the browser version.

Dynamic3

Since updating, I'm having this odd issue when I duplicate my displays, both are listed as 1080, yet within a window (such as Chrome or in the explorer) the resolution is blatantly lower. The desktop seems to be normal res however.

Any ideas?

Reposting, anyone?

Odrion

Banned
There is a bug in 8.1 in which some installs will grind CPU on some windows backup process. You can see if you have it by looking in process explorer and seeing something like 10-40% for system idle process any barely anything else listed. Disabling that service in schedule tasks gets rid of it.

I don't need backup service anyway, I have proprietary tools that can image any relevant OS in a matter of minutes.
Okay, how do you disable it? I can't seem to find the option in schedule tasks.

Why for the love of god did they remove the right click menu from the slide out network properties. How the fuck do I change a Wifi password for a network now? These idiots don't make it easy to like what they do...

Edit: Ok so there is a little more complicated option there, as usual with MS, if I try to connect to the network (even knowing it wont connect, but hey fuck me right?) then 8.1 will figure out the password is invalid and I can forget the network. So is there no other way apart from letting windows 8.1 connect to the network, figuring out the old password doesn't work, then forgetting the network - to change a wifi password? Seriously MS?
Yeah, I have no idea why they decided to get rid of this when the implementation in 8 was fine.

GhaleonEB

The only issues I've had since installation is in the Solitaire games from Microsoft. 90% of the time, sound effects don't work; just a random instance of them now and then. It's annoying but from what I've read, I came out pretty well.

derFeef

Don't buy Tweetpro, it's utter garbage, does not work properly, at all.
Wish I could get my money back like in the Playstore now.

velociraptor

I'm trying to download the Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft's website using the trick outlined here:
http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick

However, it's not working. I have a valid Windows 8 license and it doesn't let me download it it! Grr.

I was hoping to minimise the number of installs; I plan on buying a new SSD and would thus like to install Windows 8.1 on that.

Is there no other way to download the Windows 8.1 iso?

I'm trying to download the Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft's website using the trick outlined here:
http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick

However, it's not working. I have a valid Windows 8 license and it doesn't let me download it it! Grr.

I was hoping to minimise the number of installs; I plan on buying a new SSD and would thus like to install Windows 8.1 on that.

Is there no other way to download the Windows 8.1 iso?

I would download the WIndows 8 ISO and install 8. Enter your key. Then, update the computer with Windows Updates. Shut it off. Go to Windows Store and download 8.1 for free. It's what I did.
Here you go. : )
I did this because I lost my Windows 8 disc, but I still had the key. Then I upgraded to 8.1.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

velociraptor

I would download the WIndows 8 ISO and install 8. Enter your key. Then, update the computer with Windows Updates. Shut it off. Go to Windows Store and download 8.1 for free. It's what I did.
Here you go. : )
I did this because I lost my Windows 8 disc, but I still had the key. Then I upgraded to 8.1.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
I want the Windows 8.1 ISO though :(

Microsoft's stupid web installer isn't letting me download it - 'Cannot connect to the internet'. What a fucking useless company, heh.

Joseca

Banned
I've been using 8.1 for three days and I haven't experienced any problem. The only thing (and because I'm very new with windows 8/8.1) is how can I split the screen for the desktop and for an app? (like the screenshot Addnan posted)

t-ramp

I've been using 8.1 for three days and I haven't experienced any problem. The only thing (and because I'm very new with windows 8/8.1) is how can I split the screen for the desktop and for an app? (like the screenshot Addnan posted)
Click and drag from the top of the screen in an app to either side of the screen until it indicates that it will snap to that side, or pull up the active apps list on the left and drag/click from there.

You can also use WinKey plus left/right to move an app to one side of the screen, too. (Or close it with WinKey + down.)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
look at the help+tips app.

I have Windows 8 and was meh on it with my gaming pc. Just picked up a s7-392 and love it. I think the combination of a keyboard and touch screen improves the experience.

I want the Windows 8.1 ISO though :(

Microsoft's stupid web installer isn't letting me download it - 'Cannot connect to the internet'. What a fucking useless company, heh.

Can't you just download 8 and put your key in and then go to the windows store to download 8.1?
And the 8.1 iso downloads for me. I don't know what's up on your end...sorry : (

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can you update from a Windows 8.1 ISO if you have Windows 8 already? Or do you have to reinstall Windows?

Basically what I'm asking is what's the difference between an MS Store update and an update from the ISO (if you can), which traditionally is like a non-clean install of Windows.

Quick

Banned
Can you update from a Windows 8.1 ISO if you have Windows 8 already? Or do you have to reinstall Windows?

Basically what I'm asking is what's the difference between an MS Store update and an update from the ISO (if you can), which traditionally is like a non-clean install of Windows.

You could, I'm pretty sure, if the ISO did exist.

Goddammit Windows 8.1. You screwed up my favorite part of Windows 8. In Windows 7 and earlier, if you wanted to switch from typing in English to typing in Japanese, you had to do some alt + something hotkey, which would switch from English to Japanese IME, but the Japanese IME defaulted to half-width alphanumeric characters. In other words, English. You would have to hit another hotkey combination or click on the IME pad to switch from typing in alphanumerics to typing in hiragana. As in, actual Japanese characters.

Windows 8 fixed this. A much easier hotkey combination to switch inputting languages (Windows + spacebar) and more importantly, when you switched to Japanese it would default to typing in hiragana.

Now Windows 8.1 fucked up this incredibly minor but incredibly annoying function. Windows + spacebar puts you in the Japanese IME, but again in alphanumeric input mode.

Top Bottom