• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Chichikov

Upgraded my laptop to 8.1 and it caused my screen to stay stuck on full brightness. I can move the brightness slider up and down but it stays at full brightness.

Sucks. :(
I had the same problem, turns out the update installed drivers that were newer yet not officially support by my OEM (Samsung in my case) downloading the latest from their site (which were older than the ones I had installed) fixed that issue.

Now if I can only get flash videos stop freezing...

Hasney

Yep, there's definitely mouse acceleration/delay. I've seen this with 4 different mice.

You can test your mouse with this: http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.se/2010/04/markc-mouse-acceleration-fix-builder.html

Download MarkC-fix, run the MouseMovementRecorder and if you see any red/green boxes, your mouse cursor is not moving according to your movement aka there's acceleration/delay.

I'm definitely going back to 8.0, this is not acceptable for a full release.

Oh god. I'm going to have to run this even though I've not noticed anything yet... Ignorance is bliss.

aaaaa0

It doesn't. And mathematically couldn't.

Such vehemence. The hilarious part of your assertion is that the OS already does most of what you don't think it does, and has done that for more than a decade.

Do you really think by closing an app, the memory consumed by the executable and DLLs are immediately unloaded from memory?

Do you really think that by closing an app, any data loaded by the app is immediately removed from memory?

Hasney

windows 8.1 apparently increased my start up time from 11 seconds to 12.5 seconds

Unlucky. Mines gotten shorter, but I think the reformat helped that more than anything.

Just noticed netflix.com is working for me now too instead of telling me to go use the app. Not sure if it's intentional, or they haven't updated their user string detection yet. Hopefully it's the former.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Here's the long detailed explanation, in case you're curious. This is an intentional change to Windows 8.1 in how background app management works.

Windows 8 was inherently designed in a way that you should never have to close your apps. The Process Lifetime Manager is a new feature in Windows 8 which automatically handles all that for you. Apps might temporarily continue to consume memory or can be suspended to disk, but only so they can be instantly resumed. If that memory or disk is ever needed for anything else, it's instantly freed up. Similarly, if those apps register for any background tasks like playing music, getting email, listening to push notifications, etc. they won't be closed.

It's similar to how smartphones manage tasks, especially iOS.

Still, people wanted to close apps. Why? There were really only two reasons that could be found during research:

1) The app was behaving badly, and the user wanted to close and reopen it to start "fresh"
2) The app was no longer necessary, was taking up room in the task switcher and back stack, and the user wanted to make it "go away" so it didn't show up there.

In Windows 8.1, #1 is handled by a heuristic. If you drag-down an app and immediately re-launch it, it'll start from a fresh load even though the drag-down didn't at first close the app

#2 still works fine.

So in the end, those things still work, while at the same time, in the event that someone dragged-down an app but later wanted to resume instantly where they left off, that works too.

Well, I have a very specific reason. I use the remote desktop app to connect to my web server which has a pain in the ass secure password, with Windows 8 I would close the app so that when I needed to log in again it would restart at the main screen where I select the server and it would do the password automatically. Now in in 8.1 it doesn't actually close the app and it restarts as if I had let it idle and requires me to manually put in the password. When I drag it down and reopen immediately it goes back to the main screen where I can just click the server and I don't have to type in the password manually.

I actually thought I was forgetting to close the app like I normally do until I read those comments that the apps didn't actually close when dragging down.

vgamer1

So I upgraded to 8.1 from 7 last night. It worked fine until I tried to install some drivers. There were no 8 drivers listed for my Lenovo laptop (Y730), so I downloaded the 7 drivers. Most of them seemed to work until Windows bluescreened and would not boot. It did it's thing (startup repair) or whatever and that worked. Then it crashed again, wouldn't boot past the blue windows logo. I booted it into recovery and did a system restore to right after I installed and that seemed to work for now. I created a recovery drive, and things seem to be working alright for the moment. I can't, however, install video card drivers. Windows has one installed for my card (Mobility Radeon 3650HD) but the Catalyst Control Center isn't available at all.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get that to work? Or if trying to install those old drivers borked me?

DonMigs85

So I upgraded to 8.1 from 7 last night. It worked fine until I tried to install some drivers. There were no 8 drivers listed for my Lenovo laptop (Y730), so I downloaded the 7 drivers. Most of them seemed to work until Windows bluescreened and would not boot. It did it's thing (startup repair) or whatever and that worked. Then it crashed again, wouldn't boot past the blue windows logo. I booted it into recovery and did a system restore to right after I installed and that seemed to work for now. I created a recovery drive, and things seem to be working alright for the moment. I can't, however, install video card drivers. Windows has one installed for my card (Mobility Radeon 3650HD) but the Catalyst Control Center isn't available at all.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get that to work? Or if trying to install those old drivers borked me?

Try getting the one from AMD's own site, here's the one for your card (this is the latest they have for the Radeon 4000 series below)
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows 8 - 64

kurbaan

Banned
8.1 was free to 8 users, I would imagine that future updates would be as well, especially now that Apple has followed suit.

Thats wishful thinking. Windows always got big service packs for free until the next one came out. 8.1 / 8.2 will probably be just like that. But you can bet your ass you are paying for Windows 9

eLGee

I've just been dealing with this with my sister's laptop. In her case, when you try to launch one of those apps it brings up an error with a link to the store, from there you can apparently repair the app install. I can't ask her if it worked right now, but I would assume it does (even though individually repairing a bunch of apps sucks).

No, the store-app doesn't work either. It just crashes. When trying to launch the mail app, for example, I only get a message about contacting a system admin to repair or reinstall it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I had the same problem, turns out the update installed drivers that were newer yet not officially support by my OEM (Samsung in my case) downloading the latest from their site (which were older than the ones I had installed) fixed that issue.

Now if I can only get flash videos stop freezing...

Excellent! It works now. I have a Samsung as well. Thanks!

Bullza2o

It's not following suit. 8.1 was free only if you have 8, mavericks is free all the way back to snow leopard.

8.1 was free for everyone who tried the consumer preview, I think. The consumer preview required a legit Windows copy iirc, so basically it's similar to what Apple did.

PG2G

It's not following suit. 8.1 was free only if you have 8, mavericks is free all the way back to snow leopard.

I'm kinda curious what they'll do here. The WinRT platform seems to be tied to the OS version. If WinRT for 9.0 is much more capable than WinRT for 8.1 and they can't move the majority of users to 9.0 then it'll be a real pain in the aaa for developers.

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

I don't even understand how this gets spun like this. Maverick is an update to OS X in the same way that 8.1 is an update to Windows 8. They are both free updates for those that have those OS's. How is that not understood?

Vestal

Gold Member
So had my first notification while playing a game saying a friend added a comment to a Facebook post.

Small box to right corner, did not interrupt the game or cause sluggishness, tap the x and done. Extremely well done.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So had my first notification while playing a game saying a friend added a comment to a Facebook post.

Small box to right corner, did not interrupt the game or cause sluggishness, tap the x and done. Extremely well done.
Yeah that is how all notifications are done in the OS.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Can someone explain to me how SkyDrive works in Windows 8.1? I used SkyDrive in Windows 8 to sync a folder I use for work but after updating to 8.1 that folder no longer syncs. When I go to activate SkyDrive it asks me to switch my account from a local PC account to my MS one which I do not want to do. Is there not a way to have SkyDrive to sync like it used to without having to switch my whole account over? I do not want to use SkyDrive to sync my entire PC and settings.

jwk94

Wait, so did you guys ever figure out how to fix the touchpad so you can right click by tapping with two fingers? I tried updating my drivers but that doesn't work.

dream

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

I don't even understand how this gets spun like this. Maverick is an update to OS X in the same way that 8.1 is an update to Windows 8. They are both free updates for those that have those OS's. How is that not understood?

Well, Mavericks is a free upgrade for anyone running one of the past 3 versions of OS X. That's a little bit different from Microsoft offering Windows 8.1 as a free update to owners of Windows 8.

Wait, so did you guys ever figure out how to fix the touchpad so you can right click by tapping with two fingers? I tried updating my drivers but that doesn't work.
Is there a Synaptics tab in the control panel mouse config? Or is it not being there part of the problem?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Well, Mavericks is a free upgrade for anyone running one of the past 3 versions of OS X. That's a little bit different from Microsoft offering Windows 8.1 as a free update to owners of Windows 8.

How is it different than XP that had over 4 service packs. Windows is at version 8 and Apple OS is at version 10. What's the point we were making again? :3

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Again I ask. Will this site ever fix the bug with links to other sites not showing correctly in ie11. Its fucking frustrating!

dLMN8R

8.1 will never be released on Windows Update.

Unlike Service Packs, which are just major collections of bug fixes with a couple of small new features, there are major UI differences and major new features in 8.1. Far too much for it to be installed automatically.

And it's a large download (think emerging countries), and it takes a long time to install.

Echoplx

Is there a way to revert the new "My Computer" back to how it was in 8? Getting rid of the folders was easy (I don't know how they thought that was a good idea when libraries is a far superior solution for people with data on separate drives) but I don't like seeing the network devices under "This PC" or having disk drives grouped with hard drives.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is there a way to revert the new "My Computer" back to how it was in 8? Getting rid of the folders was easy (I don't know how they thought that was a good idea when libraries is a far superior solution for people with data on separate drives) but I don't like seeing the network devices under "This PC" or having disk drives grouped with hard drives.

Wait, how do you get rid of the folders? That's been annoying me too.

O.DOGG

I have a Windows 8.1 key but I've been very happy using Windows 7. I wonder if I should jump on this or just remain a happy Windows 7 user for a while longer...

8.1 will never be released on Windows Update.

Unlike Service Packs, which are just major collections of bug fixes with a couple of small new features, there are major UI differences and major new features in 8.1. Far too much for it to be installed automatically.

And it's a large download (think emerging countries), and it takes a long time to install.

The problem is, I'm trying to get it to install, but every time it fails, I have to redownload it. Is there a way to prevent it from redownloading every time it can't install?

Sanic

I use iron (a fork of chromium) as my web browser and I'm having issues pinning it to the task bar with a "class not registered" error. I've done a ton of googling but can't seem to find a fix that works.

Anyone else experience this?

dLMN8R

The problem is, I'm trying to get it to install, but every time it fails, I have to redownload it. Is there a way to prevent it from redownloading every time it can't install?

What error is it failing with? No way anyone can help if you don't give more information.

If the download fails, it re-downloads since the failure could have been due to corruption in the download.

Ugh.. so I already knew 8.1 powered down my external harddrives after a couple of minutes.. but yesterday I wanted to open a text file on my desktop (so internal drive) and instead of opening it immediately I heard the external drives power up and the file only opened after that.. so I had to wait 5 seconds for a simple txt file to open ... wtf man

DarkFlow

Banned
Ugh.. so I already knew 8.1 powered down my external harddrives after a couple of minutes.. but yesterday I wanted to open a text file on my desktop (so internal drive) and instead of opening it immediately I heard the external drives power up and the file only opened after that.. so I had to wait 5 seconds for a simple txt file to open ... wtf man

5 seconds? the HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!

kurbaan

Banned

I think its actually a good thing that you have to wait. It forces us to relax and think about what we will write or read in the txt file. So its actually more efficient!

lol... but I am pretty sure you can disable the power saving features

5 seconds? the HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!

5 secs doesnt sound like much but its a VERY long time for waiting for a program to open. If a web page took 5 seconds to load you would never wait for it load and close the browser instead.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

push windows key, type 'power'

click power settings. change plan settings. advanced, 'turn off hard drive after -> never'

Just like in 7 and 8

I installed 8.1 yesterday and now my Dell laptop is fucked up. All the little Dell softwares don't work anymore, every Flash thing (games, video) has like white little bars blinking on it, Office doesn't work anymore and the worst of all, the "sleep mode" totally disappeared from my computer. There's absolutely no trace of it, it's like it never existed.

EDIT: Just found out I can't change the brightness either. My laptop is one month old, I want to cry.

Top Bottom