• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I installed 8.1 yesterday and now my Dell laptop is fucked up. All the little Dell softwares don't work anymore, every Flash thing (games, video) has like white little bars blinking on it, Office doesn't work anymore and the worst of all, the "sleep mode" totally disappeared from my computer. There's absolutely no trace of it, it's like it never existed.

EDIT: Just found out I can't change the brightness either. My laptop is one month old, I want to cry.

sounds entirely like video driver issue. reinstall the video driver.

I don't know what you mean by sleep mode though, not the built in windows one because that's still under power options.

sounds entirely like video driver issue. reinstall the video driver.

I don't know what you mean by sleep mode though, not the built in windows one because that's still under power options.

Not in my computer ! I really don't understand that. The classic Windows "sleep mode" totally disappeared. It's not under the power options, it's not in the settings, there's no mention of it anywhere. I I can shut down the computer, restart it and I even have the "long sleep mode" (I don't know the english translation but it's when the computer stops but keeps everything open like in sleep mode.)

But the normal classic sleep mode is gone. When I close my laptop, it turns off.

Zeknurn

Not in my computer ! I really don't understand that. The classic Windows "sleep mode" totally disappeared. It's not under the power options, it's not in the settings, there's no mention of it anywhere. I I can shut down the computer, restart it and I even have the "long sleep mode" (I don't know the english translation but it's when the computer stops but keeps everything open like in sleep mode.)

But the normal classic sleep mode is gone. When I close my laptop, it turns off.

You probably need to install a working ACPI driver for sleep to return. It's up to the OEM to provide it for your hardware.

aaaaa0

Check under Desktop-> Screen Resolution->Advanced to see if you're running the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

If you are, that means there wasn't a GPU driver for your computer built in to Windows, so Windows installed a backup generic GPU driver.

The side effects of using the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver are that power management is mostly disabled, and your computer might run more slowly than normal, and things might not render properly.

So you need to go find the proper GPU drivers for your computer and install them. Sometimes Windows Update can find them on its own, sometimes you have to go to Intel/NVidia/AMD's web site to DL them, and sometimes you have to get them from the company that made your computer.

G_Berry

Banned
Man I'm having so many issues since the 8.1 update on my RT.

Pages not loading, images not loading, facebook app not refreshing, twitter taking forever to search.

Are there some security settings set by default in 8.1 that could be causing this?

Well, I'll say it looks great, although the lack of a native clock app on the Metro homescreen bothers me immensely for some reason!

The biggest problem I'm having though is the fact my Bluetooth keyboard no longer pairs with my PC at all since the update. My bluetooth dongle appears in device manager with a yellow sign/exclamation next to it, and when I try to pair it up again it doesn't recognise the keyboard at all.

A very strange bug! Anyone had any similar experiences or know how to fix?

Jzero

Well, I'll say it looks great, although the lack of a native clock app on the Metro homescreen bothers me immensely for some reason!

The biggest problem I'm having though is the fact my Bluetooth keyboard no longer pairs with my PC at all since the update. My bluetooth dongle appears in device manager with a yellow sign/exclamation next to it, and when I try to pair it up again it doesn't recognise the keyboard at all.

A very strange bug! Anyone had any similar experiences or know how to fix?
It's not supposed to be a "homescreen" that's why it doesn't have one. It's just a fullscreen start menu. And no i don't have that bug since Bluetooth devices work for me. Maybe it needs drivers.

U2NUMB

8.1 is great in many ways but in one way it is driving me crazy. Based on searches I am not the only one.

The wifi connection drops nearly every day now... before then my laptop was rock solid. This is happening at multiple places to different routers. Anyone else here having that issue? So frustrating and makes me worried about the Venue 8 pro I plan on getting here soon.

Sethos

Banned
I must admit, 8.1 is driving me up the wall - Think I'll head back to 8 =/

The wifi connection drops nearly every day now... before then my laptop was rock solid. This is happening at multiple places to different routers. Anyone else here having that issue? So frustrating and makes me worried about the Venue 8 pro I plan on getting here soon.

My cabled connection goes dead a few seconds multiple times a day, if that has any relevancy. Started doing it after installing 8.1

U2NUMB

My cabled connection goes dead a few seconds multiple times a day, if that has any relevancy. Started doing it after installing 8.1

I just forced an update to my driver for my wifi connection so I hope that helps but the searches I was doing certainly exposed this as a problem since the early preview.

For me it is the only thing that is driving me crazy but it is a pretty big thing.

Hasney

8.1 is great in many ways but in one way it is driving me crazy. Based on searches I am not the only one.

I just forced an update to my driver for my wifi connection so I hope that helps but the searches I was doing certainly exposed this as a problem since the early preview.

For me it is the only thing that is driving me crazy but it is a pretty big thing.

It's apparently doing something different in networks that is allegedly better, but some drivers will need to be updated to stop it being that buggy.

In the meantime, telling Windows to use a preset DNS server works. Use Googles if you like: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

pestul

After the initial bumps in the road, it's been smooth sailing on 8.1 for now. If I plan anything that effects the system as a whole, or may conflict with 8.1 in an untested state, I create a system restore point every time.

Piper Az

Even with 8.1, this OS still is annoying. There are two versions (metro & desktop) of settings, icons, etc. Why couldn't MS have done a better job, so it actually works like a one cohesive OS? Also, I need an option to let me goto desktop automatically after closing a metro app (e.g. Skype).

SPDIF

Even with 8.1, this OS still is annoying. There are two versions (metro & desktop) of settings, icons, etc. Why couldn't MS have done a better job, so it actually works like a one cohesive OS? Also, I need an option to let me goto desktop automatically after closing a metro app (e.g. Skype).

There are, but I think they've done a much better job of allowing you to change most settings through the Metro interface. Windows key + C --> Settings --> Change PC settings should allow you to configure the most common things anyway.

As for the desktop thing, what about this?

zJhp.png

Right click on the Taskbar --> Properties --> Navigation

U2NUMB

It's apparently doing something different in networks that is allegedly better, but some drivers will need to be updated to stop it being that buggy.

In the meantime, telling Windows to use a preset DNS server works. Use Googles if you like: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I will give this a shot but I have my home router set up to use google DNS servers and it was still happening there.

Thanks for the tip... willing to try anything!

vgamer1

I have a Windows 8.1 key but I've been very happy using Windows 7. I wonder if I should jump on this or just remain a happy Windows 7 user for a while longer...

I made the same upgrade last night. Finally got it to work with all of my drivers and I love it already. Do it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I haven't upgraded to 8.1 yet, but does anyone know why my (iPhone) hotspot drops WiFi on my Win8 laptop? It drops every 5-10 minutes or so... Apple-Microsoft-communication-issue or something else?

Zeroth

I updated to 8.1, but for some reason my desktop applications are in a lower resolution than default (1080p). Where can I go to fix that?

Sethos

Banned
I updated to 8.1, but for some reason my desktop applications are in a lower resolution than default (1080p). Where can I go to fix that?

Right Click Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> "Make text and other items larger or smaller" -> Tick "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and set it to smaller 100%, apply and sign out / in again.

Works for me.

Zeroth

Right Click Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> "Make text and other items larger or smaller" -> Tick "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and set it to smaller 100%, apply and sign out / in again.

Works for me.

Hmm, I managed to fix it by doing that then setting it back to "Medium". Thank you for the help!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone having problems with their wifi after the update? Sometimes my wifi signal will just suddenly get a ! on it and I have to disconnect/reconnect for it to work again. Was perfect before

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

It really is better! My tablet WiFi used to drop in weird circumstances on 8 but on 8.1, I haven't experienced a drop yet under similar circumstances.

dLMN8R

Are there any 8" Bay Trail tablets announced that come with some sort of keyboard cover? It'll definitely be cramped, of course, but could be perfect for emulators and simpler indie games without having to rely on on-screen controls.

Maybe even a third-party case that has a bluetooth keyboard in it would work.

Aw screw it. The Venue 8 Pro 32GB ships from Amazon next week. Should I do it? Or should I wait for the Miix2?

NomarTyme

Are there any 8" Bay Trail tablets announced that come with some sort of keyboard cover? It'll definitely be cramped, of course, but could be perfect for emulators and simpler indie games without having to rely on on-screen controls.

Lenovo Miix with keyboard folio

Aw screw it. The Venue 8 Pro 32GB ships from Amazon next week. Should I do it?
Still waiting for reviews and Samsung announcement hopefully.....

Billen

Banned
I find the Windows 8.1 store a mess to be honest. Bizarre choices when it comes to the use of screen real estate, and the browsing method is just plain awful.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

Aw screw it. The Venue 8 Pro 32GB ships from Amazon next week. Should I do it? Or should I wait for the Miix2?

Miix2 looks like a nicer build for a product. Heck even the 1st gen Lynx from Lenovo which I own is an excellent device for the price even though it's known to be below average for Lenovo's build quality. I would wait.

Jzero

If you want your search to not be extremely laggy you can turn off bing search from the results. It's kind of useless on non tablet devices anyways,

saelz8

So, did Microsoft mention anything about the mouse issues yet? Are they going to do anything about it or are we out of luck?

It is RTM after all ...

I think we're screwed. I don't see them fixing it anytime soon, apparently it's existed for months.

dLMN8R

People internal are well aware of the mouse problem. It's far more rare and extremely difficult to reproduce than anyone thinks.

Sanic

I remember with 7 you had to run the Windows Experience Index (or whatever it was called) in order to optimize the OS for SSDs. Do you still need to do that for 8/8.1? It looks like the above mentioned program has been removed.

t-ramp

I remember with 7 you had to run the Windows Experience Index (or whatever it was called) in order to optimize the OS for SSDs. Do you still need to do that for 8/8.1? It looks like the above mentioned program has been removed.
You shouldn't have to do anything. I don't ever remember hearing that WEI did anything for SSDs in Windows 7, but everything should be automatically taken care of in 8.

Addnan

Sanic

You shouldn't have to do anything. I don't ever remember hearing that WEI did anything for SSDs in Windows 7, but everything should be automatically taken care of in 8.

TRIM wasn't enabled by default iirc, only after running WEI.

Works out of the box, but you can free up some space and optimise it further if you follow this guys guide. Pretty detailed write up. http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Thanks for this, some good tips. Also the guide implies what I mentioned.

bro1

Banned
My SkyDrive is a bit screwed up since installing 8.1. My largest folder is blank in explorer and it's kind of blinking on and off. It was fine yesterday though. The files are still there, I just have to go through the app today. very odd

dLMN8R

Miix2 looks like a nicer build for a product. Heck even the 1st gen Lynx from Lenovo which I own is an excellent device for the price even though it's known to be below average for Lenovo's build quality. I would wait.

Oh wow, I just looked at the specs for both. I didn't realize that the Miix 2 is almost as thin and light as the iPad Mini, compared to the bulkier (but still pretty small) Dell.

t-ramp

TRIM wasn't enabled by default iirc, only after running WEI.
Could be, I just didn't remember seeing that in the SSD setup guides I'd read at the time.

I was a bit worried yesterday when my Surface RT quit auto-rotating except on the lock screen. I tried toggling the option for it a couple times and made sure everything was updated completely. It seems to be okay now.

Redx508

ok so i got 8.1 But iam getting the secure boot isn't configured correctly on the desktop
but it looks like my XFX 7870 does not have a uefi bios on it so i can't enable secure boot on my Z77A-GD65 Any help on updating my card

Top Bottom