• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

The Cowboy

So if you are looking at a website in "metro" IE, you can move to the desktop with an option when you right click. Is there an equivalent for the other way around? If I am looking at a website on the desktop and I want to see it in metro?

Right click on the tab you want to view in "Metro" and select "open in Immersive Browser".

You'll also notice extra options like duplicate tab and open recently closed tabs.

Hasney

Oh great, Windows 7 file recovery has gone. Now my backed up libraries are useless.

NNNNGGGG. Not sure why I bothered.

The Cowboy

Oh great, Windows 7 file recovery has gone. Now my backed up libraries are useless.

NNNNGGGG. Not sure why I bothered.

Control panel, system and security, file history - the left panel has restore personal files, recovery and system image backup.

Is this what your looking for?.

Hasney

Control panel, system and security, file history - the left panel has restore personal files, recovery and system image backup.

Is this what your looking for?.

Unfortunately not. It looks like it had a different backup structure to the Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 8,so that tool won't restore personal files from a Windows 7 backup tool backup.

It would work with a system image from that tool though.

niunhuiio

Man, games are totally unplayable in 8.1.

Other than that it works great, but this is a deal breaker. Any word on a fix?

Haven't heard of any fixes yet. Only for the RT devices.
BTW could you give me examples of some unplayable games you found on 8.1?

Guri

edit: i'm referring to the mouse-issues, the stuttering and red textures in every game

I'm playing Minerva's Den now and now having any problem whatsoever. Could be a driver related thing!

blamite

My laptop's two finger tap for right click seems to have stopped working in 8.1. It's a Synaptics touchpad in a Toshiba laptop. I checked the settings and it should be enabled but it's just not working at ll anymore. Any word on this being a widespread problem/having a solution?

Exuro

edit: i'm referring to the mouse-issues, the stuttering and red textures in every game
When you say red textures do you mean the red layer from 3d being enabled in the nvidia control panel?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Could you try this?

restore-windows-8-libraries.png

So I seem to have cried wolf. Libraries are there.

However, my explorer is arranged like this:
1. Favorites
2. Skydrive
3. Homegroup
4. This PC
5. Libraries

There's also libraries within This PC, and I had that expanded and they're empty. But they're not the same libraries as the original libraries. Which greatly confuses me about what Microsoft is doing here. The whole point of libraries is to aggregate them all, but now I have 2, or 3 if you count Skydrive or 4 if you count Homegroup.

Rant aside, how do I move Libraries to under favorites as you have it?

I want:
1. Favorites
2. Libraries
3. This PC
4. Who cares

EDIT:
Now they're missing again on the left. Ie:
1. Favorites
2. Skydrive
3. Homegroup
4. This PC
(5. Libraries MISSING)

I can only reliably get to my real libraries by going to:Explorer>Desktop>Libraries.

Definitely a bug.

Edit2:
I can make the Libraries appear by attempting to add a folder that's already in the libraries into that library, it errors, and then magically it appears on the left.

Absolutely a bug.

Edit3: My 2nd PC has the same behavior now. Either a common bug or non-intuitive change.

Piano

Banned
My laptop's two finger tap for right click seems to have stopped working in 8.1. It's a Synaptics touchpad in a Toshiba laptop. I checked the settings and it should be enabled but it's just not working at ll anymore. Any word on this being a widespread problem/having a solution?

Upgrading to 8.1 wiped out my touchpad drivers and reverted them to default. I had to reinstall from the manufacturer's website.

Guri

So I seem to have cried wolf. Libraries are there.

However, my explorer is arranged like this:
1. Favorites
2. Skydrive
3. Homegroup
4. This PC
5. Libraries

There's also libraries within This PC, and I had that expanded and they're empty. But they're not the same libraries as the original libraries. Which greatly confuses me about what Microsoft is doing here. The whole point of libraries is to aggregate them all, but now I have 2, or 3 if you count Skydrive or 4 if you count Homegroup.

Rant aside, how do I move Libraries to under favorites as you have it?

I want:
1. Favorites
2. Libraries
3. This PC
4. Who cares

EDIT:
Now they're missing again on the left. Ie:
1. Favorites
2. Skydrive
3. Homegroup
4. This PC
(5. Libraries MISSING)

I can only reliably get to my real libraries by going to:Explorer>Desktop>Libraries.

Definitely a bug.

Edit2:
I can make the Libraries appear by attempting to add a folder that's already in the libraries into that library, it errors, and then magically it appears on the left.

Absolutely a bug.

Edit3: My 2nd PC has the same behavior now. Either a common bug or non-intuitive change.

So, there's no way to change the order. I've tried that before. You could put them in the Favorites section or simply get used to it. About the folders on "This PC", they're not the libraries, but the folders themselves, which you put in the libraries. You can remove them using this. You can also remove Network and SkyDrive.

Now, about the other thing, I'd suggest you to delete all libraries and then restore them, like the image I showed. If that doesn't work, then it may be a bug on your PC, because it's fine here!

Kerrinck

What exactly do you mean? There is a Netflix app, and it probably works in the metro browser as well.

Sorry, still kinda new to 8.1 So there are apps that I can get outside of the store? Assumed all apps were similar to itunes apps.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like netflix is ip locked since I can't seem to find it at my store.

blamite

Upgrading to 8.1 wiped out my touchpad drivers and reverted them to default. I had to reinstall from the manufacturer's website.

I got the most recent drivers Toshiba had, still not working. As far as I can tell all the other gestures are working (two finger scroll, pinch zooming, etc) so idk.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
One if my external hard disk drives (a G-Drive model) keeps randomly disconnecting and reconnecting itself after upgrading. Is this happening to anyone else?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is Microsoft going to spy on me and send all my information to the NSA with Windows 8, or do they already do that with Windows 7?

Sorry if this was answered already:

I bought a Windows 8 license last year but haven't downloaded or installed it yet... can I download an ISO for 8.1 from Microsoft and install that from scratch? Or do I have to go with vanilla 8 first and then upgrade?

Is Microsoft going to spy on me and send all my information to the NSA with Windows 8, or do they already do that with Windows 7?

teh_pwn

So, there's no way to change the order. I've tried that before. You could put them in the Favorites section or simply get used to it. About the folders on "This PC", they're not the libraries, but the folders themselves, which you put in the libraries. You can remove them using this. You can also remove Network and SkyDrive.

Now, about the other thing, I'd suggest you to delete all libraries and then restore them, like the image I showed. If that doesn't work, then it may be a bug on your PC, because it's fine here!

Thanks, removing the library folders on This PC helps explorer not be a cluttered, confusing beast.

I restored default libraries. Actually, that didn't see to do anything, so I manually removed all of my stuff. But the bug persists. Libraries doesn't show up at all on the left side unless I add something to a library that is already added, then it errors and shows up on the left. Somehow I had it happen on 2 completely different PCs.

So Favorites for now.

teh_pwn

God dammit. You just right-click and show libraries.

Everything is in the ribbon. Except this.

Maybe if the user is extensively using libraries, you should show those, and not add like 4 redundant things that just confuse the fuck out of me, MSFT. :p

Also, I know MS employees read this thread....where's my favorites link in open/save dialogs? I've been using this for years with registry edits. The amount of developers that create shortcuts to favorites on their desktop so they can get them there is amazing. When you develop you have installer directories, installed directories, and source code directories. Those are really long paths and favorites are very useful. Especially when you're in an app and opening/saving stuff and you start at This PC.

iOS cannot manage memory. Windows Mobile couldn't manage memory. OSX REALLY couldn't manage memory. The idea Windows 8 has magically cracked it is... dumb.
Except that it works perfectly fine. I never "close" my Metro apps and have no issues.
Or you can try putting this into IE and see if it brings up the store page if you really want to do it through that method:

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade
Yes, that finally worked for the Surface. Thanks for posting!

Guri

God dammit. You just right-click and show libraries.

Everything is in the ribbon. Except this.

Maybe if the user is extensively using libraries, you should show those, and not add like 4 redundant things that just confuse the fuck out of me, MSFT. :p

Also, I know MS employees read this thread....where's my favorites link in open/save dialogs? I've been using this for years with registry edits. The amount of developers that create shortcuts to favorites on their desktop so they can get them there is amazing. When you develop you have installer directories, installed directories, and source code directories. Those are really long paths and favorites are very useful. Especially when you're in an app and opening/saving stuff and you start at This PC.

That's what I said on the first time! hahaha! But glad you solved your issue.

Well, this sucks. After downgrading to 8 after running 8.1 preview, and installing the real 8.1, I'm met with a black screen after logging in. Metro shows up, after 5 minutes or so, but none of the metro apps work at all. Until it starts up, I have to access task manager to start up my programs manually.

Metro looks like this:

I've tried doing the sfc /scannow to try to repair it, but it doesn't find anything corrupted. Most people online have resolved the issue by doing this, or rebooting into safe mode and disabling and updating a Intel display driver, but I can't find any such thing in my device manager. Any thoughts?
I've just been dealing with this with my sister's laptop. In her case, when you try to launch one of those apps it brings up an error with a link to the store, from there you can apparently repair the app install. I can't ask her if it worked right now, but I would assume it does (even though individually repairing a bunch of apps sucks).

Hasney

Finally got 8.1 installed last night using the most convoluted path ever since I couldn't upgrade. Was a lot of fun! I had to:

Download the Windows 8 ISO builder to put in my key
Download the 8.1 ISO builder after that step so it was tricked into giving me the ISO
Reformat C
Put in a fake CD key for 8.1 that wouldn't activate
Swap that for my real Win8 key once in Windows. Can't be used to install 8.1 from scratch, but magically activates

Felt dirty without Start8 after it booted up. Never leave me again sweetie.

Finally have 8.1 running on the Surface RT. Performance is much improved with the update, very nice.

Couple weird things though, the screen no longer turns off when you flip the cover over the screen and likewise it doesn't turn back on automatically when you remove the cover.

Finally have 8.1 running on the Surface RT. Performance is much improved with the update, very nice.

Couple weird things though, the screen no longer turns off when you flip the cover over the screen and likewise it doesn't turn back on automatically when you remove the cover.

My Touch Cover keyboard was killed with the update. Trackpad still works...

I like the improvement to the back gesture in IE, works much more fluidly than before (at least on gaf).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I posted elsewhere, in the lag specific thread, but I'm going to post here too: is it just me, am I crazy, or does Windows 8.1 have mouse lag on the desktop?

The moment I jumped from Win7 to Win8.1 something felt off. I'm using a G500 with high polling rate and DPI sensitivity. Playing games with raw input is a non issue, but general desktop usage...I don't know. I can't tell if I'm just getting used to some weird speed differences to what I was doing under Win7, or if there's a very slight mouse lag for general Windows browsing.

JonnyBrad

I posted elsewhere, in the lag specific thread, but I'm going to post here too: is it just me, am I crazy, or does Windows 8.1 have mouse lag on the desktop?

The moment I jumped from Win7 to Win8.1 something felt off. I'm using a G500 with high polling rate and DPI sensitivity. Playing games with raw input is a non issue, but general desktop usage...I don't know. I can't tell if I'm just getting used to some weird speed differences to what I was doing under Win7, or if there's a very slight mouse lag for general Windows browsing.

I don't see any difference. Cranked the sensitivity on my razer mamba up and I couldn't tell.

Alx

I'm starting to be disappointed by the 8.1 RT update. I don't really use the new features (except for the 50/50 split maybe), but get several bugs with the metro IE. Mostly the browser is too frequently identified as a mobile one (and I can't find a way to force the regular page), and it sometimes "crashes" for no reason (sure it reopens on the same page if I swipe it back as if it was just hidden, but it's annoying).
If a roll back to 8.0 is possible, I may consider it... at least until MS irons it out.

Jzero

Yes certain mice have lag with the update. Luckily for me, i don't have said problem on my CM Recon.

Hasney

I don't see any difference. Cranked the sensitivity on my razer mamba up and I couldn't tell.

Same, no difference here. Using a Roccat Kone+

Walshicus

On my (work) site yesterday, visits from "NT 6.3" were 6.8% of visits from "NT 6.2" and "NT 6.3". So close to 7% upgrade rate so far for me.

Anyone else seeing similar rates on their sites?

Hasney

On my (work) site yesterday, visits from "NT 6.3" were 6.8% of visits from "NT 6.2" and "NT 6.3". So close to 7% upgrade rate so far for me.

Anyone else seeing similar rates on their sites?

Not fully sure how Webtrends is grouping it yet (It has Windows 8, Windows 8 64 bit and Windows 8.1. Not sure if the x64 8.1 is being grouped in the 64bit Win8 stats or if that's all of 8.1), but here they are for 19th-22nd as a % of all visits

Windows 8 64-bit: 4.89%
Windows 8.1: 0.4%
Windows 8: 0.2%

Windows 98 Second Edition: 0.0009%

Mindwipe

You're really overreacting and jumping to inaccurate conclusions.

Just don't worry about it. It works fine.

It doesn't. And mathematically couldn't.

You're assuming that Apple made various decisions for reasons you have no evidence to support.

I don't see where I make any assumptions about Apple whatsoever.

I note your complete lack of retort against any of my specific points.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Right click on the tab you want to view in "Metro" and select "open in Immersive Browser".

You'll also notice extra options like duplicate tab and open recently closed tabs.
OOooo did not know this. Is this new in IE11 for 8.1? don't remember it in IE10 for 8.

Top Bottom