• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay just did the update trick from the previous page, and IDK if I'm feeling this. The top banner just takes up way to much real estate on a smaller screen like most phones have.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love the platform. iOS is boring as hell and I don't care for Android either. My design preferences and what I actually need a phone to do makes WP a perfect fit for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Browser needs its own back button. Don't care if its under the options menu.

Pet hate of mine is how, when you click on a link in an email or app, it opens in the browser replacing your currently open page. And you can't press 'back' because that goes back to the previous app - you're stuck using recent pages to get it back.

Browser needs its own back button. Don't care if its under the options menu.

Pet hate of mine is how, when you click on a link in an email or app, it opens in the browser replacing your currently open page. And you can't press 'back' because that goes back to the previous app - you're stuck using recent pages to get it back.

There's a setting to have links always open on a new tab.

Troll

Banned
What are your most wanted fixes/features for WP8?

I would love iOS like photo editing after taking a picture. It is all right there and with a Nokia shooter it would be sex.

Doffen

Any thoughts on coding for WP?

It’s actually quite the charm. At this time I have mainly used Microsoft Expression Blend 4 for the design development, and then the Visual Studio Windows Phone SDK for the coding.

I have yet to tackle XNA for Windows Phone, but that’s something I’m defiantly going to do when I’m finished with my school project later this month.

Microsoft got a few great kick start tutorials at create.msdn.com, if you are interested in learning to develop for Windows Phone.

Daeda

Chickens Can't Fly is out.. probably the must have game of the platform

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/bd6d46cf-4177-4de0-93c3-610f450fc403?lc=1033

CCF3.jpg

Nero3000

I would love iOS like photo editing after taking a picture. It is all right there and with a Nokia shooter it would be sex.

My biggest request for WP8 is more integration with Windows 8. I have always wanted this kind of functionality with the iPhone and iPad. The WebOS ecosystem started down this route.

Windows 8 integration
*functionality where the sum is greater than the two parts
*connect to windows 8 desktops/laptops/tablets via bluetooth/direct wifi
*see/respond/initiate txt messages
*full email/calendar/contact functions on the desktop for accounts on the phone that are not on the desktop (useful for corporate provided phones)
*notification duplication on the windows desktop for 3rd party apps
*ability to route phone calls through the tablet
*3G internet connection through phone with no hassle (w/ option to use or not)
*unlock you desktop with your phone, (being close to it?)
*browser and play music from phone on the tablet/pc
*syncing of IE tabs between phone and PC

System
*Native screenshot capability (hold the camera button halfway then press the lock button?)
*More multitasking cards (unlimited?)
*Skype built in
*Enterprise VPN options
*Enhanced built in twitter functionality (look at mentions, conversations etc.)
*Enhanced facebook functionalitty (groups mainly)
*NFC capability
*Live tile for maps showing your location?

3rd part apps
*3rd part lock screen notifications (like Win8)
*3rd party double wide tiles option
*More background agents (e.g. for voip/sat nav)

Internet Explorer
*Browser back and forward buttons along with a more extensive history with each tab
*Option to set the useragent to an iPhone
*http live streaming

Media
*Search local music/video
*Save compatible audio video files from IE10 direct into local store
*Zune style "squirting" to other WP8/W8 devices, via bluetooth/nfc/email/messaging etc.

Thats all i can think of for now.

Quick question which I'm hoping someone can assist with. When I use the Office app on the phone I'm able to create / save a new Excel file. This seems to be saved to skydrive, but I have no idea how to get at it from somewhere other than my phone.

Any ideas? Can I create some sort of skydrive folder on my PC and have it sync up?

Nero3000

Quick question which I'm hoping someone can assist with. When I use the Office app on the phone I'm able to create / save a new Excel file. This seems to be saved to skydrive, but I have no idea how to get at it from somewhere other than my phone.

Any ideas? Can I create some sort of skydrive folder on my PC and have it sync up?

Go to the skydrive website.

Although i think you can directly access skydrive from Office 2010.

Walshicus

Internet Explorer
*Option to set the useragent to an iPhone
I wish we could just have a Form Factor parameter in the user-agent instead; if you're building a site you really just want to make your rules on PC&Laptop/Tablet/Handheld/TV lines rather than for individual devices.

JaggedSac

You want a first party app instead of third party apps that tie into the camera?

MCD

http://wmpoweruser.com/more-tango-and-budget-windows-phone-features-screen-shots-leaked/

Qs0BO.png

Russian site WP7Forum.ru have posted some interesting information on Windows Phone Tango and on the restrictions that come with having a 256 MB Windows Phone.

First some basic changes. Tango will support many new countries, will be able to automatically download and update apps via Zune, and increase the number of pre-installed applications for 16 to 40.

It will also bring new features, such as being able to manage contacts directly on the SIM card and also to export contacts to the SIM. This is to allow users to more easily transition from a feature phone to a smartphone.

wtZbP.png

Roaming will get new settings, allowing users to select no, domestic or international roaming.

It will also fix a long time bugabear. Users will be able to make multiple attachments to one MMS message, including pictures, sound and video.

g7zKj.png
hAueW.png
S0rje.png

WP7Forum.ru also address the 256 MB issue. Low end devices with 256 MB will be unable to install some applications, and will have other restrictions, such as 3rd party Live Tiles not updating automatically.

PSf62.png

In addition podcasts will not be manageable from the device, and video streams higher than 4 MBs and encoding of H.264 v2 will only be supported. Additionally OEMs will be allowed to ship devices with 3 megapixel or higher cameras. Further photos will now no longer be uploaded to SkyDrive automatically.

In summary, there are new features in Tango, such as the MMS improvements, which I want, and features such as the lack of active live tiles which not.

PG2G

3rd party live tiles not updating automatically? I wonder what this even means. No push notifications? No background agents (which I'm guessing would make more sense)?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
They really shouldn't be cutting 3rd party live tiles, it's a key selling point! Hell the fact they are cutting anything really just sets the whole low end initiative off to a bad start. Sends completely the wrong message imo.

You have to trickle the good technology down wholesale or it's a waste of time, this reminds me a lot of what MS did with the 360 Arcade SKU

kehs

Banned
Only for the low end fragment it seems. Though the way the state it might mean they changed it to be manually refreshed or on a time interval.

kazinova

3rd party live tiles not updating automatically? I wonder what this even means. No push notifications? No background agents (which I'm guessing would make more sense)?

I found that background tasks shut off if you haven't opened the app in 30 days. I had this occur to my Weather Live tile, I never opened the app because all I needed was the live tile information.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm considering switching over to the Zune pass annual subscription from my current grandfathered plan. I love 10 song credits but the annual sub is basically half off. Is there a lower device allotment if I switch? I currently use Zune on two computers, a Zune 30, and 2 windows phones (one of which can only play Zune pass songs that are synced through the PC).

I don't want to lose out on any of those devices.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
they use memory

I don't see why they need to cut the RAM down to 256. Is it really that much more expensive?

I've argued this for a while. Considering Tango phones aren't even out yet by time they are would going to 256 really cost save? I mean 512 is old hat, and it's already being mass produced.

I equate it to wanting to put say 1 gig of RAM in a current laptop. Would it really save you money?

clav

I've argued this for a while. Considering Tango phones aren't even out yet by time they are would going to 256 really cost save? I mean 512 is old hat, and it's already being mass produced.

I equate it to wanting to put say 1 gig of RAM in a current laptop. Would it really save you money?

I guess Microsoft thinks there's a market for people who only want smartphones with solid stock apps.

I've met a few Android users who only used apps preinstalled on the phone.

Still, like you, I don't understand why Microsoft would want to lower the requirement benchmark. Maybe the cell phone manufacturers wanted that option.

JaggedSac

I'm considering switching over to the Zune pass annual subscription from my current grandfathered plan. I love 10 song credits but the annual sub is basically half off. Is there a lower device allotment if I switch? I currently use Zune on two computers, a Zune 30, and 2 windows phones (one of which can only play Zune pass songs that are synced through the PC).

I don't want to lose out on any of those devices.

2 computer and 2 device limit on the new plan I believe. But it sounds like one of your phones is not set up with the same account so not sure if that counts against it.

Troll

Banned
I guess Microsoft thinks there's a market for people who only want smartphones with solid stock apps.

I've met a few Android users who only used apps preinstalled on the phone.

Still, like you, I don't understand why Microsoft would want to lower the requirement benchmark. Maybe the cell phone manufacturers wanted that option.

I honestly think tango is more for developing markets. These will eventually be phones shipped by the tens of millions, replacing Nokias Symbian line and selling for little profit. When we think of it this way it makes more sense to have a low end compatible OS especially with Nokia in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom