• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
I honestly think tango is more for developing markets. These will eventually be phones shipped by the tens of millions, replacing Nokias Symbian line and selling for little profit. When we think of it this way it makes more sense to have a low end compatible OS especially with Nokia in the mix.
So it's a feature phone replacement? Then the most important metric would be the battery life. Turning off background tiles and reducing the RAM should help with that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I sort of have a random example of something I'd like fixed or streamlined on the system.

For example I got a MS Promo E-mail pimping out web apps which had a video talking about said web apps and comparing them to GDocs and the normal thing. The e-mail is in my inbox on my phone of course, and when I click on the video it tried to take me to a mobile version of facebook through the web browser to which I'm not logged in and all of the like.

Things like this need be intelligently handled by the OS and the accompanying app. Why is it trying to pull up FB mobile on the web? Why isn't it loading up the FB app instead? Is it because the FB App won't allow me to see what I need to see? Why won't it? If it won't is that a good way to promote your product when half of the FB logins everyday happen from mobile devices?

It's the same thing like if Amazon is hold a FB contest where you can enter to win say a new Kindle if your on your phone your sort of SOL. At least on WP7 that is. Maybe Android can pull it off if you somehow get the non mobile version of FB up and use flash or whatever else is needed (for MS stuff you'd think it would be Silverlight). Maybe I'm wrong about all of this though.

kehs

Banned
So I sort of have a random example of something I'd like fixed or streamlined on the system.

For example I got a MS Promo E-mail pimping out web apps which had a video talking about said web apps and comparing them to GDocs and the normal thing. The e-mail is in my inbox on my phone of course, and when I click on the video it tried to take me to a mobile version of facebook through the web browser to which I'm not logged in and all of the like.

Things like this need be intelligently handled by the OS and the accompanying app. Why is it trying to pull up FB mobile on the web? Why isn't it loading up the FB app instead? Is it because the FB App won't allow me to see what I need to see? Why won't it? If it won't is that a good way to promote your product when half of the FB logins everyday happen from mobile devices?

It's the same thing like if Amazon is hold a FB contest where you can enter to win say a new Kindle if your on your phone your sort of SOL. At least on WP7 that is. Maybe Android can pull it off if you somehow get the non mobile version of FB up and use flash or whatever else is needed (for MS stuff you'd think it would be Silverlight). Maybe I'm wrong about all of this though.

They would have to create a sharing contract with the apps and the url links. Intents take care of this on android, if you link to youtube.com an app can jump in the middle and offer to handle the link.

hwalker84

The normal calendar does a pretty good job of handling events, IMO. I never looked at it in the app

I don't think it pulls in every birthday depending on security settings. She was able to show me several people not on her calendar. Still that doesn't excuse events being busted as well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The android update situation makes me feel better about the way MS is handling things, even if the carriers delay things somewhat. Many just-released Motorola phones won't get ICS until the 3rd quarter. Others have no dates at all, even though ICS was released like 4 months ago. Samsung, HTC and LG aren't any better at getting updates for their phones. And my friend has a Sprint Nexus S that is still on gingerbread.

Compare that to the mango rollout. Actually, don't. There is no comparison.

kazinova

VanMardigan said:
The android update situation makes me feel better about the way MS is handling things, even if the carriers delay things somewhat. Many just-released Motorola phones won't get ICS until the 3rd quarter. Others have no dates at all, even though ICS was released like 4 months ago. Samsung, HTC and LG aren't any better at getting updates for their phones. And my friend has a Sprint Nexus S that is still on gingerbread.

Compare that to the mango rollout. Actually, don't. There is no comparison.

Yeah, except I haven't gotten the most recent update to fix the keyboard from running away from me everytime I go to type anything. I don't see the carrier benefit of slowing down the update process. I'm not encouraged to buy new phones by this practice, merely to wish for painful slow papercut deaths to AT&T big wigs...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, except I haven't gotten the most recent update to fix the keyboard from running away from me everytime I go to type anything.

The only platform that would've gotten you that fix in a timely manner is ios. I think I'm going to manually update, its a really annoying bug.

PG2G

This sucks if MWC is just the 610 with Tango and the 900 GSM version

The Lumia 900 and Titan II pretty much represent the best that can be done with Mango, what else do you want? I don't think there's any point to releasing niche phones with features like hardware keyboards at this point. They'd probably sell in the couple hundred-k range at least.

Personally, I don't want to see new phones, I want to see the existing phones go to new carriers.

hwalker84

The Lumia 900 and Titan II pretty much represent the best that can be done with Mango, what else do you want? I don't think there's any point to releasing niche phones with features like hardware keyboards at this point. They'd probably sell in the couple hundred-k range at least.

Personally, I don't want to see new phones, I want to see the existing phones go to new carriers.

Basically what I want to see is More More More phones. Verizon, Sprint, Etc. I have people who come to me all the time with phone suggestions and I can't recommend whats on Verizon and Sprint.

I don't mind a 610 and GSM 900 I just want

Release date info
Tango Info
Hands On
Samsung, LG, Etc Info
WP8 info (highly doubtful)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sasktel in Canada has released the HTC Radar and can be bought outright for $370. Not as good of a deal as the Lumia 710 at Roger for $250. Nice to see another WP in Canada though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

PG2G

More like a fail for Google if they have Jelly Bean ready and barely any of their devices have been upgraded to ICS.

dLMN8R

It's not even a matter of existing android phones getting upgraded to ICS, it's the fact that even today there are still brand new phones getting released with Gingerbread.

Milly79

I don't know if this is a bug or not (and I know WiFi disables upon lock). Whenever I unlock sometimes it takes FOREVER for it to reconnect and sometimes not at all. So annoying.

Also, keyboard bug. Ugh.

I don't know if this is a bug or not (and I know WiFi disables upon lock). Whenever I unlock sometimes it takes FOREVER for it to reconnect and sometimes not at all. So annoying.

Also, keyboard bug. Ugh.

Pretty sure it disconnects from wifi as a battery saving feature.

If fact I'm almost completely sure that's what it is because if your phone is plugged it, it never disconnects from wifi.

frontieruk

Pretty sure it disconnects from wifi as a battery saving feature.

Milly's aware of that, it's the lame ass re-enabling of it when you unlock the phone, it's a rampant problem on the HTC Titan and there's a huge thread about it over on XDA, not ollowed it for other devices though

from here which is the general WP7 forum

CONNECTIVITY
* Bug when you have exchange server with certificate from your internal CA (with imported Root CA in phone).
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fb01ecf?page=1
* While playing Video, the audio form that video is not routed via Bluetooth headset. Albeit this is basic function of BT when a device supports A2DP.
* WiFi automatically going to sleep: And you cannot chose in the Settings how wi-fi operates while in sleep/standby
* 3G: WP7 using 3G data unnecessarily: http://wmpoweruser.com/possible-wp7-...-unnecessaril/
* Wifi: WP7 sometimes unable to connect to password protected WiFi (WPA/WPA2 security)
* Wifi: WP7 fails to connect to hidden WiFi networks (known issue)
* Wifi: Issue with lockscreen: Wifi refuses to re-connect after it comes back from standby
* Wifi: After switching off Wifi, the phone will not connect over 3G (reboot necessary)
* Wifi: Wifi disconnects when phone is locked: absence of option to leave Wifi on even if phone is locked
* Bluetooth: Bluetooth works on Audio but fails on video (sound reverts to the speakers): http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-72f003fdeee9
* Bluetooth: Apparently Bluetooth not connecting well with all car systems: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-28ce0d561132
* Bluetooth: poor audio-quality when connecting the phone to various A2DP-capable devices
* Bluetooth: Notifications sounds disabled: when bluetooth on and connected to trying to connect to devices it disables notifications sounds.
* Bluetooth: No option to use only the headset part, or the stereo (A2DP) part, or both.

Milly's aware of that, it's the lame ass re-enabling of it when you unlock the phone, it's a rampant problem on the HTC Titan and there's a huge thread about it over on XDA, not ollowed it for other devices though

from here which is the general WP7 forum

CONNECTIVITY
* Bug when you have exchange server with certificate from your internal CA (with imported Root CA in phone).
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fb01ecf?page=1
* While playing Video, the audio form that video is not routed via Bluetooth headset. Albeit this is basic function of BT when a device supports A2DP.
* WiFi automatically going to sleep: And you cannot chose in the Settings how wi-fi operates while in sleep/standby
* 3G: WP7 using 3G data unnecessarily: http://wmpoweruser.com/possible-wp7-...-unnecessaril/
* Wifi: WP7 sometimes unable to connect to password protected WiFi (WPA/WPA2 security)
* Wifi: WP7 fails to connect to hidden WiFi networks (known issue)
* Wifi: Issue with lockscreen: Wifi refuses to re-connect after it comes back from standby
* Wifi: After switching off Wifi, the phone will not connect over 3G (reboot necessary)
* Wifi: Wifi disconnects when phone is locked: absence of option to leave Wifi on even if phone is locked
* Bluetooth: Bluetooth works on Audio but fails on video (sound reverts to the speakers): http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-72f003fdeee9
* Bluetooth: Apparently Bluetooth not connecting well with all car systems: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-28ce0d561132
* Bluetooth: poor audio-quality when connecting the phone to various A2DP-capable devices
* Bluetooth: Notifications sounds disabled: when bluetooth on and connected to trying to connect to devices it disables notifications sounds.
* Bluetooth: No option to use only the headset part, or the stereo (A2DP) part, or both.

I have a Titan, and it takes a few seconds to reconnect when I unlock the phone, but I've never thought anything of it. I'll look through that thread later, thanks for posting.

clav

Well, at least MWC will be here in less than two weeks.

Plus, people will be talking about the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

besiktas1

The problem with my Omnia 7 is whenever I do something using my phone (maps, web browse etc.) It just reboots. Sometimes it gets stuck on a loop after that.

Sordid

My HTC 7 Pro took an age to reconnect to wireless after a screen unlock, my Omnia 7 takes seconds though. Maybe it's an HTC thing?

hwalker84

Probably fake but I'll post it anyway.

http://nokiagadgets.com/2012/02/16/lumia-805-picture-leaks-x7-design-to-wp/

lumia_8051.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom