• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just received an HD7 and this screen size feels just about right for viewing mobile forum layouts in landscape. Any smaller and it would feel a bit claustrophobic.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not just that but I'd be locked in spec wise again for another 18 months. So if Apollo really is going to bring a big hardware spec bump I'd be SOL.

Just wait dude. You'll look smart when you have your apollo phone and I'm still on my Focus S. if you jump in now, you can't upgrade until next summer at the earliest. I'll have to wait another year, so that's not horrible, but for someone like you who cares about better screen res and processors, just wait.

Raistlin

This might be relevant for black Lumia owners/future owners:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82755

It's possible that Nokia was aware of the issue and fixed whatever was causing this issue in new batches of the polycarbonate shell, but the Lumia 800 might not be that lucky.
I was under the impression the point of their current polycarbonate shell is that it isn't painted ... it's colored all the way through.

rozay

Banned
I was under the impression the point of their current polycarbonate shell is that it isn't painted ... it's colored all the way through.
It seems to be the matte coating is what's wearing down and peeling, and it's more obvious in the port covers because those are made of a different material.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1177271&postcount=90 Here's another post showing how the phone looks after keeping it in it's rubber case for a few months.

I'm not sure if the magenta housing is the same as cyan which doesn't have this matte coating, but this won't happen with the cyan and white versions for sure. I wouldn't call this a dealbreaker if you're set on the phone (especially if you have warranty) but just something to be aware of.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just wait dude. You'll look smart when you have your apollo phone and I'm still on my Focus S. if you jump in now, you can't upgrade until next summer at the earliest. I'll have to wait another year, so that's not horrible, but for someone like you who cares about better screen res and processors, just wait.

Don't really care about the processor, but I fully admit I care a ton about the screen res especially if I get a larger device.

thirty

Banned
damn, my idea to get the 900 from amazon for a penny and then cancel my contract, pay att the $325, isn't going to work. amazon's "instant rebate" has a clause where you have to keep the service for minimum 181 days (5 months) or they will charge you a $250 fee on top of att's ETF.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
damn, my idea to get the 900 from amazon for a penny and then cancel my contract, pay att the $325, isn't going to work. amazon's "instant rebate" has a clause where you have to keep the service for minimum 181 days (5 months) or they will charge you a $250 fee on top of att's ETF.

well Apollo is a while away so you could still do that if you want an apollo device after. but if you want to switch providers then you could just get the 900 off contract.

thirty

Banned
well Apollo is a while away so you could still do that if you want an apollo device after. but if you want to switch providers then you could just get the 900 off contract.
i'll just wait, in 2-3 months i'm sure i can find 900s off contract new or near new for $300 or so. i think i can use a 900 while i wait for a new nokia apollo pureview phone. that pureview camera is astonishing tech.

Isa0

Neo Member
Since this phone is GSM, I can use it w/ T-Mobile after the contract right? Heck I might just buy the phone off contract to use w/ T-Mobile if that's possible...

rozay

Banned
Won't the international 900 be pentaband, meaning it'll have T-Mobile and at&t bands? You could always import, but it'll be a little more expensive than off-contract on at&t.

Commodore

Rumors brewing Nokia and MS are circling RIM again. Personally, I think it'd be a bad idea. But what if:
RujCS.jpg

freshair

Won't the international 900 be pentaband, meaning it'll have T-Mobile and at&t bands? You could always import, but it'll be a little more expensive than off-contract on at&t.

One can hope, but considering the 800 variants doesn't include it, the 900 doesn't look too hopeful :\

The only pentaband lumia that was released is the canadian version of the 710. The one for T-Mobile is only quad.

GCX

I honestly don't see what benefits a RIM buyout would give to Nokia. They've been trying to streamline their bloated company structure, not to add more dead branches to it.

rozay

Banned
One can hope, but considering the 800 variants doesn't include it, the 900 doesn't look too hopeful :\

The only pentaband lumia that was released is the canadian version of the 710. The one for T-Mobile is only quad.
You're right, the lumia 800 international is only quadband 3G without support for T-Mobile's 1700 3G band :/

hwalker84

I don't see what RIM adds to Nokia at all but Microsoft I could totally see the benefits.

#1 Blackberry Enterprise/BIS (native integration into exchange would be a dream for Enterprise customers)

Totakeke

I don't see what RIM adds to Nokia at all but Microsoft I could totally see the benefits.

#1 Blackberry Enterprise/BIS (native integration into exchange would be a dream for Enterprise customers)

Microsoft already has Lync (OC), Skype, and Messenger. Expanding those is better than trying to integrate yet another service.

Black-Box

Rumors brewing Nokia and MS are circling RIM again. Personally, I think it'd be a bad idea. But what if:
RujCS.jpg

I always said MS would be RIMS best option, Android is way to over the place right now. and apple is apple.

plus I think MS will let RIM be more like RIM than go full Windows phone

hwalker84

Microsoft already has Lync (OC), Skype, and Messenger. Expanding those is better than trying to integrate yet another service.

And none of those are in the same category or handle anything that BES does! Not even sure what your point is?

BES would make a ton of sense if they could encorporate the level of control we as IT administrators have with blackberries into WP and make it nothing but an exchange add on fully integrated. God that would make my life easier.

eastmen

Banned

Actually if MS buys Rim they can use Rim to target busniesses and they can use Nokia to target casuals.

They could then forget about all the other companys and move right to a apple model , which i'd perfer over the mess that is andriod right now

Black-Box

Heh, here's their April Fools prank, Windows Phone Pager.

m5y6z.jpg

Coming never.
actually they will probably release that next year, there was a windows phone time line that leaked and showed this kinda of device, so this is more like leaking something and everyone thinking its a prank, but the device will probably look different in the end

Milchjon

actually they will probably release that next year, there was a windows phone time line that leaked and showed this kinda of device, so this is more like leaking something and everyone thinking its a prank, but the device will probably look different in the end

They posted it on their Facebook page.

mackattk

What type of apps are you looking for? News Readers? Weave. Weather? WeatherFlow. Games? Wordament. Reddit? Baconit. Twitter? Carbon or Mehdoh.

Nnothing in particular. I just know that on iphone/android there are some staple apps that everybody should have.

ChanHuk

Banned
I really like the Lumina 900. Contemplating selling the Focus S and ponying up the extra money for it. But I already have a 4S, so the hardware would be lacking.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just saw first Nokia ad while watching the OKC/CHI game.

http://www.smartphonebetatest.com/

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-kicks-us-advertising-campaign-beta-test-takes-iphone

Guess things will kick off on the 6th. Looks like it could make for an interesting campaign, potentially.

Nokia going for the jugular, I like it. Seriously, they'll embarass Samsung and HTC on hardware and are probably the only company in mobile that can stand with Apple on design. And they finally have competent software running on their phones. This could be big.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I caught the "teaser" during the Bulls/Thunder game. Fantastic, but they have to follow up strong to really drive the message home. I think picking Parnell is a good choice to go with the aggressive tone. He can pull it off without appearing mean or nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom