• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

When is this rolling out in Australia? I'm still stuck on the Lumia Black update.

The OT has a link with info regarding the rollout in the last section.

True, though there's a bit of a difference.

The 930 is this year's mainstream 'hero' phone from Nokia, much like the 920 was previously. And while yes the 920 is technically an AT&T exclusive, at least derivatives hit other telco's (925 on T-Mo, 928 on Verizon) ... within ~6 months or less.

While I suppose we're still in that window for the Icon, the fact that the 930 was announced quite a while back with no word of other variants makes me wonder if we'll see anything else in the US.

Also for me personally, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a phone again that doesn't support multiple carriers. So GSM it is I guess.

I guess I still can't see the 930 as a hero phone. It's a months late international version of the Lumia ICON and the only difference between the two phones is that it ships with 8.1 by default. It's neither new nor a hero phone by any means. In fact, it's just a smaller version of the 1520, which is even older. It doesn't bring anything new to the market, like the 920 did.

Raistlin

I guess I still can't see the 930 as a hero phone. It's a months late international version of the Lumia ICON and the only difference between the two phones is that it ships with 8.1 by default. It's neither new nor a hero phone by any means. In fact, it's just a smaller version of the 1520,
Of course it's a hero phone. It has the best hardware on a mainstream-sized Windows Phone (snapdragon 800 - top of the line at launch, 1080p screen, most sensing tech, 2GB RAM), along with the best camera on any phone without a serious bump.

the
which is even older. It doesn't bring anything new to the market, like the 920 did.
What did the 920 offer at the time that was so good?

Yes, it met all the same criteria as above ... but only when compared to other Windows Phones. Its hardware was not top of the line versus Android/Apple. Whereas the 930 was and is still considered high-end spec-wise.

So if anything, while it has equal hero status versus other peer WP8 devices as the 920 did, the 930 one-up's it by also competing hardware-wise with other OS's as well. It's more of a hero phone. I mean ... other than moving to an 801, what could they realistically add to a phone of its size this year? It has parity with most of the high-end Android devices.

kharma45

What did the 920 offer at the time that was so good?

Yes, it met all the same criteria as above ... but only when compared to other Windows Phones. Its hardware was not top of the line versus Android/Apple. Whereas the 930 was and is still considered high-end spec-wise..

QI charging, OIS camera, a screen you could actually see outdoors with PureMotion tech, the ability to use gloves with it.

dLMN8R

I know it sucks to see your phone listed as "in testing" for so long, but usually it's because either the carriers or manufacturers actually discovered some big bug that you probably don't want on your phone.

MCD

I know it sucks to see your phone listed as "in testing" for so long, but usually it's because either the carriers or manufacturers actually discovered some big bug that you probably don't want on your phone.

mine is international as in no carriers so this shit must be pretty buggy.

Raistlin

QI charging, OIS camera, a screen you could actually see outdoors with PureMotion tech, the ability to use gloves with it.
Yes I should have listed more, but my point was in asking what does the 930 not have versus competitors that the 920 did.

Nothing in that list is missing from the 930. It has QI, has the best camera of its peers (including OIS), and can be used with gloves. Really the only thing missing is the PureMotion screen, but that's kind of a subjective thing. You're giving up motion handling for much better black levels/contrast ratios. Kind of a toss up there. Also with the 920, there were more than a handful of higher-res screens available. For the 930, there's only a few competitors with greater than 1080p.

So yes, I guess I could see the argument that the 930 was less groundbreaking feature-wise versus the 920 ... but that has more to do with timing than anything. Nokia didn't create most of that tech, it was a timing situation in being the first or early to incorporate that tech. In the case of the 930, there just isn't anything new out there that they could add this year. No new battery tech, no new screen tech (beyond resolution which they did incorporate). They added some knew sensing tech at lest.

Really the main in-house tech the 920 offered was the 'ClearBlack' display alterization (polarization layers) and its camera tech. But the 930 incorporates the newest iterations of those.

So at worst, the 930 isn't as innovative as the 920 in terms of new / bleeding-edge features from OEM sources ... but through no fault of its own. There simply isn't new stuff out there, it's using the top of what's available. There isn't some great new feature a competitor has out there.

So to at least counter the above issue (that it out of Nokia's control), they included the newest iterations of their internal tech ... and also, for the first time, have hardware specs that rival any of their competition ... regardless of OS.

I think the hardware spec competitiveness at least makes of for the lack of new tech ... that isn't available to anyone.

The funny thing about this discussion is that I wasn't even really arguing which phone is or isn't more innovative ... simply that the 930 is Nokia's hero phone for this year. I have yet to see any reasonable argument that counters that claim. And I'm not sure who reasonably wouldn't consider it to be one. Either the 930 is Nokia's hero phone for this year ... or they don't have one.

Doffen

1 week later and my green Lumia 930 is still sexy.

Also the camera is a lot faster than my 920, took this picture while in movement:

D6oedSU.jpg

Might have been lucky tho, need to test it more.

Mario007

I rarely use mine as I have all but given up on WP for now. But after the 8.1 update mine was doing this also. Even after a reset. Just turning the phone on and using it for a few min it would get very hot and drain very quickly.
Yeah I don't get this either. I thought it was just might unit since I never seen any complaints on the review sites but I guess it's a more general 920 problem now with 8.1.
Check out battery saver and see what's eating up the battery.

I use a 920 on 8.1 and don't have any battery issues like that.

I did and it says the usual suspects, i.e. IE and WeChat. In fact Wechat just bit off 9% of my battery when I was actively using it for 10 minutes. Funny thing is I was using it last night for about 20 minutes and the battery only went down 2-3%.

1 week later and my green Lumia 930 is still sexy.

Also the camera is a lot faster than my 920, took this picture while in movement:

Might have been lucky tho, need to test it more.

I picked up the same phone. Its absolutely gorgeous. Going from a 925 to this feels so good. I never see 'loading' or 'resuming' anymore.

The camera is fantastic, and the included wireless charging dock is great.

I don't see how this isn't Nokia/Microsoft's 'hero' device for this year.

KageMaru

It's odd how long testing is taking for the Icon seeing how the 930 is out. An official release should be testing enough IMO.

MCD

I picked up the same phone. Its absolutely gorgeous. Going from a 925 to this feels so good. I never see 'loading' or 'resuming' anymore.

The camera is fantastic, and the included wireless charging dock is great.

I don't see how this isn't Nokia/Microsoft's 'hero' device for this year.

I guess not enough ads? Hardly see anything for it.

Lucius86

Banned
So I left my 920 in the taxi here in Bali, so now I'm phoneless. Next contract is up in 6 months.

What phone will be good for that length of time and cheap? Lumia 635? Or get a cheap Android?

Mario007

So I left my 920 in the taxi here in Bali, so now I'm phoneless. Next contract is up in 6 months.

What phone will be good for that length of time and cheap? Lumia 635? Or get a cheap Android?

If you want the best bang for your buck then Moto G. If you want the best bang for your buck on WP then 635.

frontieruk

I tend to fall back on my 520 Inc 8.1 over my moto G if that's any help

kharma45

Moto G, Moto G LTE or Lumia 630/635 would be the main options.

Or you could grab a 920 from eBay.

I have to choose my BYOD for next job, i'm torn between the 1520 and the 930 to get back in the Windows Phone game; any dealbreaker on those?

930 doesn't have an SD card slot or Glance.

1520 is just fucking massive.

Yes I should have listed more, but my point was in asking what does the 930 not have versus competitors that the 920 did.

Nothing in that list is missing from the 930. It has QI, has the best camera of its peers (including OIS), and can be used with gloves. Really the only thing missing is the PureMotion screen, but that's kind of a subjective thing. You're giving up motion handling for much better black levels/contrast ratios. Kind of a toss up there. Also with the 920, there were more than a handful of higher-res screens available. For the 930, there's only a few competitors with greater than 1080p.

So yes, I guess I could see the argument that the 930 was less groundbreaking feature-wise versus the 920 ... but that has more to do with timing than anything. Nokia didn't create most of that tech, it was a timing situation in being the first or early to incorporate that tech. In the case of the 930, there just isn't anything new out there that they could add this year. No new battery tech, no new screen tech (beyond resolution which they did incorporate). They added some knew sensing tech at lest.

Really the main in-house tech the 920 offered was the 'ClearBlack' display alterization (polarization layers) and its camera tech. But the 930 incorporates the newest iterations of those.

So at worst, the 930 isn't as innovative as the 920 in terms of new / bleeding-edge features from OEM sources ... but through no fault of its own. There simply isn't new stuff out there, it's using the top of what's available. There isn't some great new feature a competitor has out there.

So to at least counter the above issue (that it out of Nokia's control), they included the newest iterations of their internal tech ... and also, for the first time, have hardware specs that rival any of their competition ... regardless of OS.

I think the hardware spec competitiveness at least makes of for the lack of new tech ... that isn't available to anyone.

The funny thing about this discussion is that I wasn't even really arguing which phone is or isn't more innovative ... simply that the 930 is Nokia's hero phone for this year. I have yet to see any reasonable argument that counters that claim. And I'm not sure who reasonably wouldn't consider it to be one. Either the 930 is Nokia's hero phone for this year ... or they don't have one.

There isn't any debate that it's Nokia's flagship aside from the 1520, no one is debating that. It's just the fact that it doesn't do anything new or ground breaking like the 920 did. It's meh.

Can someone explain me the reason most apps are still not coming to this? I've being waiting to come back to Windows Phone for 2 years now but the app situation is really sad, I have a Windows 8 tablet so I'm ready for some synergy but W8 has even less apps.

Can someone explain me the reason most apps are still not coming to this? I've being waiting to come back to Windows Phone for 2 years now but the app situation is really sad, I have a Windows 8 tablet so I'm ready for some synergy but W8 has even less apps.

Well, if you are not using Windows Phone because of the apps situation, I am sure there are plenty of other just like you. Devs are not going to make and support apps when there is no user base on the platform. What is there to explain, you are part of the reasons why there is no apps on Windows Phone. The other is how slow Microsoft is at well anything.

I was using a Windows Phone, I had an LG Optimus 7. Then it died and I got another, when I changed carriers (T-Mobile) there was nothing there that interested (that was before Nokia had Windows Phones), so I got a Galaxy 3 while I wait form them to catch up in features, Specs and apps. They got the first two up enough that I'll happily jump from my GS but the app situation seems like it will never be fixed.

Microsoft was very aggressive during the Mango update days, I wonder what happened to them.

Doffen

Are there any specific apps you are looking for?
Just harass the developers trough mail or Twitter.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
3-4% marketshare

3-4% marketshare

It's funny because if you look at the marketshare apple has with it's mac line you would see similar figures compared to windows Pc's, however I almost never see people complain about the lack of software availlable for OSX. While the mere mention of windows phone will ellicit lack of apps as a major dealbreaker.

I honestly believe that marketshare isn't the main reason why WP lacks apps. If you look at tinder for example, they are actively spending resources NOT to have tinder on WP and I believe it's due to the all the negativity microsoft has build up through years of monopoly.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's funny because if you look at the marketshare apple has with it's mac line you would see similar figures compared to windows Pc's, however I almost never see people complain about the lack of software availlable for OSX. While the mere mention of windows phone will ellicit lack of apps as a major dealbreaker.

That's because OS X has all the apps most Mac users need and some very specialized ones not available elsewhere. And if they need something not available for Mac, they can sidelaunch Windows just as easily.

Windows Phone still lacks a lot of the most important apps, and many of the ones available for download are either poorly optimized or simply pale in comparison to the Android and iOS versions. Facebook is never up to date, WhatsApp is garbage, Spotify doesn't have a free version yet, Google's services are nowhere to be found, the media player situation is straight up laughable... I could go on and on.

I love Windows Phone's usability, but the app situation is still pathetic, specially if you are into games.

Totakeke

In the end it boils down to Microsoft's leadership being half-assed about the platforms, partly because they can sustain themselves comfortably without depending on it to become a success.

Maybe lttp with this but what the hell happened with Nokia creative studio? They have redesigned the app so its much worse and removed features such as colour pop with it saying that this feature is coming soon. Christ who makes these decisions.

Maybe lttp with this but what the hell happened with Nokia creative studio? They have redesigned the app so its much worse and removed features such as colour pop with it saying that this feature is coming soon. Christ who makes these decisions.

Not sure what version you're running, but mine is the redesigned app, and has all the same features. The new blur tool is awesome.

I honestly believe that marketshare isn't the main reason why WP lacks apps. If you look at tinder for example, they are actively spending resources NOT to have tinder on WP and I believe it's due to the all the negativity microsoft has build up through years of monopoly.

What? They don't want 3rd party app to represent your brand does not equal they are actively spending resource to not be on Microsoft platform. It has nothing to do with "negative" view of Microsoft but more to do with protecting their IP. As for Tinder doesn't want to make app for WP, well it go back to users base and cost of maintenance. Doing app these days is not just putting out apps, there are cost of maintaining such apps. Already making app for two OS is probably hard enough.

Raistlin

There isn't any debate that it's Nokia's flagship aside from the 1520, no one is debating that. It's just the fact that it doesn't do anything new or ground breaking like the 920 did. It's meh.
The poster I'm arguing with certainly is debating that.

Whatever though, no point in continuing.

I think their camera also got worst in the beta. The removal of camera roll etc. is mind boggling. They really need to roll all photo editor into one and also the camera features.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Legal dickery. I'm sadly familiar with this particular topic. It has little to do with The Verge and everything with Vox deciding that their copyrighted content, logos and names cannot be distributed by any channels that are not officially sanctioned.

It sucks immensely for all the parties involved, probably for The Verge, too. They are losing valuable clicks at no cost because of Vox's policies.

What? They don't want 3rd party app to represent your brand does not equal they are actively spending resource to not be on Microsoft platform. It has nothing to do with "negative" view of Microsoft but more to do with protecting their IP. As for Tinder doesn't want to make app for WP, well it go back to users base and cost of maintenance. Doing app these days is not just putting out apps, there are cost of maintaining such apps. Already making app for two OS is probably hard enough.

Are you kidding me with this? The app creator took down the app and offered them to work together on making an official app to which the tinder CEO agreed to. He would do all the work and it would have cost tinder almost nothing in maintenance. Since then he hasn't heard anything from tinder and has only gotten notices to take down his app. The amount of effort they put into keeping tinder off WP could just have easily been focused on having a good working app by now.

Raistlin

Legal dickery. I'm sadly familiar with this particular topic. It has little to do with The Verge and everything with Vox deciding that their copyrighted content, logos and names cannot be distributed by any channels that are not officially sanctioned.

It sucks immensely for all the parties involved, probably for The Verge, too. They are losing valuable clicks at no cost because of Vox's policies.

Except the dev removed all logos and names, and has yet to get a response on how this app is any different than the myriad other RSS feeds.

Smells fishy

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Except the dev removed all logos and names, and has yet to get a response on how this app is any different than the myriad other RSS feeds.

Smells fishy

Copyrighted content also includes text and pictures. It's not unusual for media corporations to remove apps that display their content, even if they are clearly labeled as unofficial.

Blame lawyers.

jstripes

Banned

That's because OS X (and Mac OS, by extension) has a dedicated user base and active development community going back 30 years. Nearly everything under the sun is covered.

Windows Phone is a relatively new platform. (Yes, it's based on Windows, but you can't simply port Windows apps.)

Top Bottom