• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

It's true that WP does not have as many apps but then again, I'm not really using a lot of apps on my iPad even though I have a bunch installed. I feel that I'm very productive with my WP even though I use gmail/docs. I rather not play too many games on the phone in order to not kill the battery

Are you kidding me with this? The app creator took down the app and offered them to work together on making an official app to which the tinder CEO agreed to. He would do all the work and it would have cost tinder almost nothing in maintenance. Since then he hasn't heard anything from tinder and has only gotten notices to take down his app. The amount of effort they put into keeping tinder off WP could just have easily been focused on having a good working app by now.

While I love all this "6" app, he do like to 1 up the official apps and allow certain thing which probably doesn't fly well with the IP holder. And I wouldn't be surprise if this is not one of the reason. His 6tag app is good but the notification is pretty bork at the moment and he has yet to fix it and I end up using the instagram app.

In the end IP holder would want to have their own app so they can control the message and the feature.

Treo360

If you want the 1520 and are in the US, get the 1520.3 from Newegg.

The AT&T version sucks :(

cosigned.

It's a bit more pricey, but worth it. Unlocked, no bloat ware. ICS works without a problem, qi charging. It has 32gb built in rather than the 16 that att offers, and it works on both the gsm provider here in the states.

dalyr95

I've got a Lumia 520 at work which we use for testing. I've updated it and its got a couple of Gb free, but WP 8.1 isn't showing up when I check for updates. The clock is correct and managed to update past the required 8.0 update.

It's SIM free in the UK. Any ideas?

KageMaru

icon doesn't have cyan

I know, but with the 930 out rockin cyan, you would think it's pretty optimized. I'm just anxious to get the update because it supposedly fixes some of the performance issues I've been experiencing. Wish Verizon would release it already. =P

After countless bitching about how awful Xbox Music is, Reddit made it sticky: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...ost_windows_phonexbox_music_complaint_thread/

It's not even in French. How the hell is the team supposed to understand that? Why else do you think I put the "please understand" in *French* in the OT's Xbox banner? I hope they got he hint.

The music app was updated yesterday or Friday and it fixed one of my biggest problems: Shuffle was broken. So now I'm mostly good with it.

I used it yesterday on my Lumia for some hours and it's still slow as hell when it comes to loading the content. It doesn't matter if it's listings from the store of my own music.

dLMN8R

It's great that they're fixing Xbox Music, but it's inexplicable how it ever got in that state in the first place.

I mean, for fuck's sake, how do you break SHUFFLE. How???

NeOak

cosigned.

It's a bit more pricey, but worth it. Unlocked, no bloat ware. ICS works without a problem, qi charging. It has 32gb built in rather than the 16 that att offers, and it works on both the gsm provider here in the states.

Actually, it's cheaper to buy the 1520.3 then to buy the 16GB from AT&T with either the Next plan or full price.

I got my 32GB AT&T version on Next but had I waited a month I could have gotten the 1520.3 for around $150 less. Oh well, the rush to get new technology.

When I see these posts about Xbox Music Performance i find that my situation regarding it and WP to be pretty ironic right now.

Ever since I updated to 8.1 preview my 1020 has had terrible battery life, and overall snappiness dropped too, as well in game performance, and every now and then, god knows why, the phone enters in a terrible performance state, where everything is sluggish, and takes a long time to load (or resume)... For instance today my phone entered this state and it took almost a minute for the notifications drawer to show up after I pushed it down, and the nokia Camera app took more than 8 minutes to load (and that was after successive retries of opening and closing it)... But even in this state, the only app that consistently loads fast and it's always smooth is the god damn Xbox Music app. It crashes every now and then, often tricks me that I added a music to my collection only to find out later that it didn't, sucks at playing shuffled music, and many other annoyances, but it's blazing fast XD

From the reports here I do think I'm the only one with these recurrent terrible performance pitfalls on 8.1, but at least Xbox Music performs well to me XD

Fake Edit because I was gonna edit and then realized I didn't even posted XD
I just noticed I had over 2500 photos on my phone and less than 500mb available. I guess that's why it had those moments...

ElNino

Ever since I updated to 8.1 preview my 1020 has had terrible battery life
Define "terrible battery life". When I first did the 8.1 preview I had poor battery life as well (less than a typical day's usage), but I think my battery monitoring app was part of the reason. After I uninstalled that (and installed a different one for what it's worth) my battery life went mostly back to normal.

Now, I can almost always get more than a full day on medium usage (7 AM to midnight with ~30% battery life left) or almost two days if I'm at home with light usage.

Define "terrible battery life". When I first did the 8.1 preview I had poor battery life as well (less than a typical day's usage), but I think my battery monitoring app was part of the reason. After I uninstalled that (and installed a different one for what it's worth) my battery life went mostly back to normal.

Now, I can almost always get more than a full day on medium usage (7 AM to midnight with ~30% battery life left) or almost two days if I'm at home with light usage.

Before 8.1 it used to last a little more than a day to a straight one day and a half with moderate usage. Now it won't last half a day. The camera app, whatsapp, skype and IE and many others all seem to have increased their battery usage for me. I checked in battery sense quite often and there's never a banckground app or service draining my battery, it's just that these apps are using more battery now when in use.

For instance, I had my phone on my pocket pretty much all day today, didn't make a call, opened a single email, or a web page neither have sent a message, the only exception being a few skype messages exchanged with some work colleagues (and it didn't last more than 5 minutes). Now it's 1 PM here and my phone is already down to 56%, with almost no use at all.

ElNino

Before 8.1 it used to last a little more than a day to a straight one day and a half with moderate usage. Now it won't last half a day. The camera app, whatsapp, skype and IE and many others all seem to have increased their battery usage for me. I checked in battery sense quite often and there's never a banckground app or service draining my battery, it's just that these apps are using more battery now when in use.

For instance, I had my phone on my pocket pretty much all day today, didn't make a call, opened a single email, or a web page neither have sent a message, the only exception being a few skype messages exchanged with some work colleagues (and it didn't last more than 5 minutes). Now it's 1 PM here and my phone is already down to 56%, with almost no use at all.
Hmmm... yes, I would say that is poor battery life and certainly worse than what I (and what you used to) get.

Not sure what it might be for you. What screen brightness do you use? I usually use Low and change to Medium if I'm outside for a while, as I've found the Auto setting seems to drain the battery quite a bit (although it does make it very easy to read outdoors).

Hmmm... yes, I would say that is poor battery life and certainly worse than what I (and what you used to) get.

Not sure what it might be for you. What screen brightness do you use? I usually use Low and change to Medium if I'm outside for a while, as I've found the Auto setting seems to drain the battery quite a bit (although it does make it very easy to read outdoors).

I use brightness on auto, and now that you mentioned it, I do recall very often thinking that the screen is too bright for the environment I'm in, but when I change to low manually I can never see a difference in brightness, so I always end up leaving it to auto anyway...

I'll try changing it for a few days and see if it improves, thank you for the tip!

ElNino

I use brightness on auto, and now that you mentioned it, I do recall very often thinking that the screen is too bright for the environment I'm in, but when I change to low manually I can never see a difference in brightness, so I always end up leaving it to auto anyway...

I'll try changing it for a few days and see if it improves, thank you for the tip!
I find that Auto is great for when the environment I'm in is either very bright or very dark as it makes it easier to see in both. Low is generally not bright enough to use in the sun and too bright to use in the dark, but is fine for indoor usage I find.

I'm hoping to try using Auto again once the Cyan firmware is out to see if that helps, as I'd like to use it if I can still get at least a day with moderate usage.

So, what are the chances we'll hear about fall devices anytime soon? Or, given McLaren's death, are we SOL?

I've been sitting on an upgrade for months now and was waiting for a new ATT device :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It's great that they're fixing Xbox Music, but it's inexplicable how it ever got in that state in the first place.

I mean, for fuck's sake, how do you break SHUFFLE. How???

I think they re-built the client completely in HTML/JS. I know they share the client code base between the W8 app and the WP8 app. Maybe they also use the same client for the phone. If so, then Xbox Music must have been a test bed for the native HTMl5/JS apps on WP8.1.

PS: With McClaren death, should I buy a 930 now?

Nero3000

Ok, heres a strange one for you:

A colleague came up to me this morning with his 1020 (WP8.1 DP) which had a black lock screen with the words "Please try again in 37,801 minutes".

Tried both a hard and soft reset. Hard reset put the timer to 88,000 and soft back down to 37000 range.

I don't think waiting 25 days is an option.

Anyone had a similar situation?

hadareud

The Translator
Ok, heres a strange one for you:

A colleague came up to me this morning with his 1020 (WP8.1 DP) which had a black lock screen with the words "Please try again in 37,801 minutes".

Tried both a hard and soft reset. Hard reset put the timer to 88,000 and soft back down to 37000 range.

I don't think waiting 25 days is an option.

Anyone had a similar situation?

Doesn't sound good.

I would try the Nokia software recovery tool.

Eanan

Oh man oh man...

cloud music 2.0 preview

nKZoZhHl.png

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, being able to play my music pass content is a deal breaker.

I was sort of hoping that we'd see something fairly quickly after they announced that they'd open up the API's, but nothing so far.

Speaking of the music pass and the music app:

I haven't downloaded a new album in a while. Yesterday I was thinking of one, so I went into the music app, streamed a couple of songs and then downloaded it.

Tried to play one of the downloaded songs: error message. Tried to play one of my previously downloaded songs: error message.

Had to delete the album, download it again via the music hub tile that gives you access to the old store, now it works.

What. The. Fuck.

Wow, that player looks fantastic.

In other news, actionable notifications are awesome. Replying to messages from the lock screen is great.

ninge

So i just picked up a 930 in the UK and I'm loving it. However, I can't see a way to change my default search engine in IE11?

Top Bottom