• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

I'd love to use Xbox Music on desktop but two things annoy me to no end:

- Playing files quickly from my folders glitches out and I have to play them again for them to work.

- doesn't read tagged album pictures like Mixradio. Dunno why it just doesn't unless it's available on the store.

Herr K

Banned
My twitter app wasn't showing the image/vine preview after the update, so I reinstalled it and that fixed it. To my surprise, toast notifications stopped appearing twice.

It was a two birds one stone situation.

Xbox Music on Windows 8.1 is also still crap at dealing with music files stored on a networked device like a NAS. Seems like a dumb idea given that so many 8.1 devices are tablet things with limited internal storage. I get that Microsoft is trying to encourage users to use their cloud music service, but for fucks sake don't hamstring functionality for people that don't want to sign up.

MCD

Here is what I am talking about regarding Album covers:

QwQZUgp.jpg
MixRadio

Xbox Music

JimiNutz

Banned
After over a year away from Windows Phone (been using a Sony Xperia Z1) I'm really ready to come back to windows phone...
But then I come in here and there is so much doom and gloom.

I've been out of the loop for a while and not been paying much attention to windows phone. Is anything exciting happening in 2014 - are MS releasing any new flagship devices?

Tablo

After over a year away from Windows Phone (been using a Sony Xperia Z1) I'm really ready to come back to windows phone...
But then I come in here and there is so much doom and gloom.

I've been out of the loop for a while and not been paying much attention to windows phone. Is anything exciting happening in 2014 - are MS releasing any new flagship devices?
yes fall this year we'll have new stuff.

Daft Bird

Just got done exploring the update. I love everything they did! Cortona has given me a few chuckles with her answers and listens well. Only have had one mishear, I asked for Flash by Queen. Instead I had airplane command settings lol. But unfortunately my Lumia 928's screen cracked and has a 1/5 dead screen. So GAF should I replace the screen or buy the Lumia Icon?

Tablo

Cool.
So if I want back in I should hold out until fall?
What's the best WP out at moment? Lumia Icon?
Lumia 930/Icon/1520/1525
Wait for the next round of flagships this fall though, or the 1525 if you want a phablet, it seems somewhat close to release.

Xbox Music on Android is weird. A playlist that is perfectly downloadable on my Lumia and iPad can only be downloaded partially on Android due to media rights?

Just noticed that the "accessories" update made my NFC desktop tray useless... before I could set it to "desktop mode" and it would be a the Nokia clock/weather app that you could only get by using a NFC device.

Now? Gone.

These updates keep delivering.

Okay, I can't seem to solve my Xbox Music issues on Android and with that I'm back to Spotify.

To make it clear what I'm saying here. I have a ton of free Xbox Music Pass codes and could use the service for the next two years without paying a cent, but I'd rather pay 10 bucks a month for Spotify. That's how bad it is. They might as well not bother with it on other platforms and focus on finishing the Windows Phone version first or even ditch the thing completely. Fucking hell.

NeOak

Just got done exploring the update. I love everything they did! Cortona has given me a few chuckles with her answers and listens well. Only have had one mishear, I asked for Flash by Queen. Instead I had airplane command settings lol. But unfortunately my Lumia 928's screen cracked and has a 1/5 dead screen. So GAF should I replace the screen or buy the Lumia Icon?

You can go for the Icon.

Mario007

Does anyone else have huge battery problems with Lumia 920? Eversince I updated to WP 8.1 everytime I turn on data the phone starts overheating and the battery starts draining like crazy, especially when I'm browsing the web. But even in standby it's pretty awful.

Is this just a general Lumia 920 problem? I know back on WP 8 whenever I played even simple games like sollitaire the battery didn't last too long either.

maeh2k

Was messing around with a lumia 1520.

Not that big at all, even with a case.

With the 1520, I'd be worried about the screen. At that size it seems a lot more fragile than smaller screens. Some people cracked their screen just carrying the phones in their pockets.

Treo360

With the 1520, I'd be worried about the screen. At that size it seems a lot more fragile than smaller screens. Some people cracked their screen just carrying the phones in their pockets.

What the heck are these people doing that the phone cracks in their pockets? I carry my 1520 just fine in my pocket. Heck its in a leather wallet case with my dl and cc's in it adding bulk and most likely pressing on the screen and its fine.

Razdek

Banned
Okay, I can't seem to solve my Xbox Music issues on Android and with that I'm back to Spotify.

To make it clear what I'm saying here. I have a ton of free Xbox Music Pass codes and could use the service for the next two years without paying a cent, but I'd rather pay 10 bucks a month for Spotify. That's how bad it is. They might as well not bother with it on other platforms and focus on finishing the Windows Phone version first or even ditch the thing completely. Fucking hell.

That's why I said that I hope the entire team got axed during the cleansing. If you can't do your job then you don't deserve a job. I was stupid enough to buy 2 years worth of subscriptions because it actually worked in WP8.

I ended up getting the 635. So far it does take a little longer to open apps compared to the 810 but the 8.1 update makes up for it.

maeh2k

Now that Microsoft is cleaning house, wiping out the Xbox music and Xbox video teams might be a good idea. Doubt they get much use anyway. Rather use the money to get Spotify and Amazon to actually support their platforms.

bedlamite

The state of the Music app in 8.1 is utterly indefensible, there're just a whole host of issues MS needs to work out before it's even usable. btw I also had a XM sub, for several years, in fact, and I never foresaw myself leaving the service as it worked perfectly fine the whole time. Last month I dropped the XM sub and signed on with Spotify. I'll gladly go back to XM once MS sorts things out as it's got tighter OS integration, but only when the app is usable again.

For those that aren't having any issues with the app, do you download music from the service? I think all the slowness issues stem from DRMed music, I can play my own music copied from my PC just fine but playing music downloaded with an XM sub is just a huge mess.

MCD

Now that Microsoft is cleaning house, wiping out the Xbox music and Xbox video teams might be a good idea. Doubt they get much use anyway. Rather use the money to get Spotify and Amazon to actually support their platforms.

I was hoping they get the devs behind mixradio to work on Xbox Music.

one more for the good guys.

maeh2k

I was hoping they get the devs behind mixradio to work on Xbox Music.

I think for Microsoft having a service that doesn't attract users on other platforms is a waste of time. And I don't see iOS and Android users choosing Xbox Music, Xbox Video, or MixRadio.

It's not a worthwhile effort just to prop up their own platforms, either. If your platforms can't attract competent third-party services, then they are failed platforms.

stktt

Banned
I'll go back to quietly using Xbox Music and Xbox Video without any issues outside of some sluggishness in the music app on WP.

zedge

Does anyone else have huge battery problems with Lumia 920? Eversince I updated to WP 8.1 everytime I turn on data the phone starts overheating and the battery starts draining like crazy, especially when I'm browsing the web. But even in standby it's pretty awful.

Is this just a general Lumia 920 problem? I know back on WP 8 whenever I played even simple games like sollitaire the battery didn't last too long either.

I rarely use mine as I have all but given up on WP for now. But after the 8.1 update mine was doing this also. Even after a reset. Just turning the phone on and using it for a few min it would get very hot and drain very quickly.

Raistlin

I'm a little unsure how I feel about the broken-out Podcast app.

Just updated yesterday though.

Otherwise though, I'm quite happy with the new features. Just wish more apps updated to use the notification center (MetroMail in particular - but that's not MS's fault).

Raistlin

José Mourinho;121734082 said:
Had a hands on with the 930 today. Really nice device.
It pains me this isn't hitting the US. Would be my next phone.

Hopefully Nokia has something even better later this year.

It pains me this isn't hitting the US. Would be my next phone.

Hopefully Nokia has something even better later this year.

The exact same device is on Verizon under a different name. Just because it's not available on your carrier, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You might as well say the 920, 1020 and 1520 never hit the US either.

Check out battery saver and see what's eating up the battery.

I use a 920 on 8.1 and don't have any battery issues like that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My battery on the 929 isn't great, but I have almost had it for two years. It isn't doing anything crazy like some.

hadareud

The Translator
What is Android waiting on?

If you think that updates on Android (other than Nexus) are rolled out in a timely fashion, you have obviously never had an Android device.

That said, a good portion of people's phones in this thread are now more than 18 months old. If your Android phone is older than 18 months you definitely do not have to wait for an update, on the plus side.

hadareud

The Translator
On Android you would have gotten a new phone already.

My phone isn't even a year old and beats every other phone in the hardware and performance category that matters to me. Even though it didn't matter to me before I got it.

Also, I know it's just amazing bants and all, but your suggestion isn't in any way a positive.

kharma45

Wow, my experience is completely different. The G3 stutters like a mofo, however. It was silky smooth at first, but holy crap, the random hicups are brutal.

I found using the mode select or changing any settings in the camera brings it to it's knees. So slow and horrible to work with.

Multitasking is slow also. There's a noticeable delay when you hit the button to bring it up. Noticed that on the Z1 I played with too.

frontieruk

I found using the mode select or changing any settings in the camera brings it to it's knees. So slow and horrible to work with.

Multitasking is slow also. There's a noticeable delay when you hit the button to bring it up. Noticed that on the Z1 I played with too.

Shit sorry guys, I opened that can of worms I apologise for the incoming shitstorm of android fans saying flash x/y/z Rom and your benchmarks Will improve but real world usage not so much.

Not saying that about you kharma...

DonMigs85

Is it possible to make it so that it always asks for my account password when I purchase an app or do I need to use Kid's Corner? I use Paypal by the way.

kharma45

Is it possible to make it so that it always asks for my account password when I purchase an app or do I need to use Kid's Corner? I use Paypal by the way.

Go into the Wallet and you can set it to ask for a PIN for every purchase.

Shit sorry guys, I opened that can of worms I apologise for the incoming shitstorm of android fans saying flash x/y/z Rom and your benchmarks Will improve but real world usage not so much.

Not saying that about you kharma...

I remember when I used to bother doing that back with the HTC Hero and Nexus One. Truth be told as you rightly say, you didn't gain all that much from it.

I have an HTC 8X through Verizon and have still not received the 8.1 update. Does anyone know when they are rolling it out? I thought I read that it was earlier this month.

Raistlin

BTW - Didn't realize it before, but there's any easy way to configure gmail so MetroMail will pick up folders of your choosing in notification center. Love it! I now only receive notifications from my 'primary tab'.

The exact same device is on Verizon under a different name. Just because it's not available on your carrier, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You might as well say the 920, 1020 and 1520 never hit the US either.
True, though there's a bit of a difference.

The 930 is this year's mainstream 'hero' phone from Nokia, much like the 920 was previously. And while yes the 920 is technically an AT&T exclusive, at least derivatives hit other telco's (925 on T-Mo, 928 on Verizon) ... within ~6 months or less.

While I suppose we're still in that window for the Icon, the fact that the 930 was announced quite a while back with no word of other variants makes me wonder if we'll see anything else in the US.

Also for me personally, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a phone again that doesn't support multiple carriers. So GSM it is I guess.

Top Bottom