• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
I'll have to check out Puzzle Quest 2. Sounds pretty sweet.

I should've added that it hasn't been upgraded for Mango. But other than that, its the most addictive puzzle game I've played yet.

You might also want to try Tetattack, it's fun twist on a tetris style game of course.

Troll

Banned
thinking of moving from sprint (evo 4g) - att for lumia 900

is it worth it?

It really depends.

If you need a phone NOW (IE your Evo is broken or starting to take frequent shits) then yeah, I like the buy.

If you can put off the phone purchase then do it. This Fall/Winter we are going to have a bunch of great devices and awesome OS'.

Jelly Bean, WP8 and iOS6 all going head to head to head.

You just have to ask the right question:

image103.png

This should get its own thread. GAF loves to hate on Apple way too much. :lol

On the contrary. I haven't spent a year on these forums and I have been banned twice. Both related to Apple. Apple isn't up for debate here, whatever you say negatively about Apple gets you banned apparantly.

On the contrary. I haven't spent a year on these forums and I have been banned twice. Both related to Apple. Apple isn't up for debate here, whatever you say negatively about Apple gets you banned apparantly.

You should visit the patent war threads more frequently. They're fun.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
We are less than 5% market share and we already have some android trolls. Dudes are vicious, I really don't know what will happen if we get to 10%.

PG2G

We are less than 5% market share and we already have some android trolls.

On that note

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/15/cellphones-survey-idUSL5E8GEILV20120515

Microsoft's Windows Phone began to show some signs of growth thanks to Nokia's decision to swap its legacy Symbian platform for Windows.

Windows' share in Germany more than doubled to 6 percent over the past year, and climbed to 3-4 percent in Britain, France, Italy and the United States.

These gains came at the expense of Nokia's Symbian platform and Canadian BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, the biggest market share losers. RIM's share in the U.S. market dropped to just 3 percent from 9 percent a year earlier.

That means Windows Phone is currently outselling (or tied with) BlackBerry in the US.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I guess it will get trolled like the BlackBerry OT.

You guys owe me, I cut a deal with dream in the webos thread that he wouldn't troll us, and he has kept his end of the bargain, plus actually contributed usefully here.

I couldn't cut a deal with copernicus but he's been reasonable lately and both faceless master and good job bob have turned a corner and are an asset to this thread.

So long as Apollo turns out as good as we hope and doesn't get delayed to next year, I think we will be in good shape in terms of trolling.

Plus it gets boring if we all agree, so I hope MS does something stupid soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great to see the market share gains (however small they are). Love Nokia!

On a side note I hope the meta data for the new Zune Music or Woodstock, etc., is much better in Canada. Not only have pics of some artists been removed in Canada, I'm getting a grey screen in the background when playing certain artists instead of the Zune red/orange background. This also results in no artist pic in the Zune Tile. It at least used to show the pic from the last artist that had a picture. Not sure what's going on and asking support is pointless.

You guys owe me, I cut a deal with dream in the webos thread that he wouldn't troll us, and he has kept his end of the bargain, plus actually contributed usefully here.

I couldn't cut a deal with copernicus but he's been reasonable lately and both faceless master and good job bob have turned a corner and are an asset to this thread.

So long as Apollo turns out as good as we hope and doesn't get delayed to next year, I think we will be in good shape in terms of trolling.

In the end, they're all just jealous of our OT. I can't blame them.

SuperBonk

So my friend gave me a Lumia 900 to try out for the month and I'm actually really liking it, though I am having a few problems.

The first one is that it has an incredibly hard time loading long email conversations. I'm talking about ones that are over 150 replies long. It just stays at the "loading message" screen for about a minute and freezes completely if I try to exit out. Any way to fix this?

Another is the battery life since it pretty much needs to be charged every day with medium usage. I recognize that battery life sucks for pretty much all smartphones, but my iPhone can still last 1.5-2 days with medium use and used to be able to last up to 4 days when it was relatively new. Then again the iPhone didn't/doesn't have LTE.

My other problems just stem from being unfamiliar with the phone so I'm sure I'll learn them eventually.

I don't really have a problem with the app selection since I don't really need many apps besides a few big ones that the marketplace already has.

Other than that, the phone is a real joy to use and Wordament is pretty awesome.

Nero3000

So my friend gave me a Lumia 900 to try out for the month and I'm actually really liking it, though I am having a few problems.

The first one is that it has an incredibly hard time loading long email conversations. I'm talking about ones that are over 150 replies long. It just stays at the "loading message" screen for about a minute and freezes completely if I try to exit out. Any way to fix this?

Another is the battery life since it pretty much needs to be charged every day with medium usage. I recognize that battery life sucks for pretty much all smartphones, but my iPhone can still last 1.5-2 days with medium use and used to be able to last up to 4 days when it was relatively new. Then again the iPhone didn't/doesn't have LTE.

My other problems just stem from being unfamiliar with the phone so I'm sure I'll learn them eventually.

I don't really have a problem with the app selection since I don't really need many apps besides a few big ones that the marketplace already has.

Other than that, the phone is a real joy to use and Wordament is pretty awesome.

- Never had that long an email, but it might just be still downloading it from the network, or they havn't tested it for that use case.

- With the battery life, after the capacity hits 15% the phone will automatically go into a battery saver mode where all non-essential background process (auto fetching emails, 3rd party background tasks etc) are paused. This low power mode will last quite long.

CaptainABAB

Wow - I'm a heavy email user and I've never had conversations with that many replies.

What if you go to Settings and either

1.) Uncheck the option "In conversations, show replies and email from all your synced folders"

or

2.) Turn off conversations completely

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
you're not an important OS until you have iOS trolls.

I've tried to coax giga into trolling us by constantly bashing iOS, but he's too level headed plus I think he genuinely likes our OS.

brot: we pulled off the trifecta: best mobile OS (so long as you dont ask the Verge), best phone (ask Siri), and best operating system OT (ask anyone).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

you know, youve made a deal with the devil. its just gonna back to haunt you.
In the end, they're all just jealous of our OT. I can't blame them.

yep.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think I figured out why I was getting my brothers facebook updates in my notifications. I had selected him in the new facebook feature close friends. I have since removed him so I will see what happens now.

kehs

Banned

Just like all of you guys, I'm waiting for Apollo.

So I log back in to my char and the game put me back in the middle of a fight (I was in town before server went down so it roll back) and now I just die over and over.

This is so fucking frustrating.

edit: fuck wrong thread! Carry on with Windows Phone talk

hwalker84

- Never had that long an email, but it might just be still downloading it from the network, or they havn't tested it for that use case.

- With the battery life, after the capacity hits 15% the phone will automatically go into a battery saver mode where all non-essential background process (auto fetching emails, 3rd party background tasks etc) are paused. This low power mode will last quite long.
You have to turn on that battery saving feature. Not sure why it's not a default.

hwalker84

Got a Zune HD today for dirt cheap in Craigslist to use while working out. I never realized this thing was that good. Incredibly solid and smooth.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I kinda like the interface better than Metro on Windows Phone.

I prefer some of the music interface stuff on the Zune HD over Zune Music on WP7 for sure.

PS: It appears despite my normal Comcast bitching (TV and Internet were down AGAIN this evening) I got a stealth speed increase.

CHICAGO — May 15, 2012 — Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity, left its support of Blackberry devices in favor of Windows Phone. The move strengthens Feeding America’s capabilities as it complements the organization’s use of other Microsoft solutions including Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Lync Server 2010.

In an effort to be fiscally responsible, Feeding America conducted a review of its former Blackberry environment and explored other wireless devices, including Android, iPhone and Windows Phone. By migrating from Blackberry to Windows Phone, the company discovered it could avoid costly annual server maintenance expenses. In addition, the organization’s move has resulted in several benefits, including a 24 percent reduction in cost per device and improved access to the information and IT services that employees rely on to collaborate and be productive.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/May12/05-15FeedingAmericaPR.aspx

Moneyhats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom