• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

borges

Banned
For sure. But Microsoft gave base owners a far bigger incentive to upgrade than Sony did.

Also agree with this. Great design, its smaller, much more powerful than base model, 4k UHD, and with a clear commitment to update first party to 4k with lot of 3rd party support. Price is the only downside, but weighing specs and value proposition, the X is a very tempting path for current owners and new 4k users.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Also agree with this. Great design, its smaller, much more powerful than base model, 4k UHD, and with a clear commitment to update first party to 4k with lot of 3rd party support. Price is the only downside, but weighing specs and value proposition, the X is a very tempting path for current owners and new 4k users.

Ah, all very true.

HardRojo

Nice joke.

Infact no , is not a good joke , Microsoft paid them for saying shit or what ?

What the hell? Why would you think that? It'll be interesting to see how the XBO X improves Microsoft's situation in the US, worldwide it'll be a different story.
Edit: Wait, doesn't Amazon only charge your card when the product is shipped/preparing for shipment?

Kikorin

As best we can tell, Pro sales are roughly 20% of total platform sales.

What percentage were you expecting?

I was expecting exactly this number and I expect pretty bad numbers for X1X too in long terms, to me PS4 Slim and Vanilla and X1 and X1S will reamin top sellers by wide margin at the end.

Ps4 pro is a slightly boosted vanilla ps4. Now while the GPU is much stronger the CPU holds it back. badly... I had both ps4 at one point. And the difference is not so much.

Electret

I was expecting exactly this number and I expect pretty bad numbers for X1X too in long terms, to me PS4 Slim and Vanilla and X1 and X1S will reamin top sellers by wide margin at the end.

Right, so I don't see why that should be considered more 'bad' than 'expected'. Both X and Pro should represent the minority of sales, but over the long term it's possible X could take a greater proportion - 30%, perhaps? Maybe after the price is dropped.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm being sincere when I ask what you think that is. I'm getting one and I'm not quite sure yet what their incentive is. I know what my reasons are though.

Really?

A much bigger power gap between base and upgrade
Baseline hardware baked improvements to all games
BC game improvements
SMALLER than the original model
4K bluray

The jump from PS4 to Pro is far smaller than the jump from Xbox One to X.

Kayant

Not too surprising it's doing this well for launch on Amazon. Would expect it to best PS4 Pro sales this holiday in the US how it does after will be interesting.

Side note - Is Amazon still generally reliable at predicting what console sold most monthly?
Do all of the 360 BC titles getting a boost count? Or all of the XB1 titles with variable resolutions being fixed at 1080p?

Just wanted to see what the rules of this engagement are...
Answer this - Are X360 games XB1 games?
All the people mocking Jez are eating crow mixed with a pinch of salt right now, lol.
You do know Jez's story was based on expectations by a UK retailer 😂 lol.

watdaeff4

switch and pricing make me wonder

If Nintendo has the product Switch will win Nov/Dec easily.

If they don't, MS will probably win Nov due to the X debut, but I think Sony will still take Dec unless the X1S is significantly cheaper than the PS4 Slim

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Pro had little leverage going for it. It will not at all shock me if the X1X smashes its LTD in a short amount of time.

The PS4 already had the best versions of every game, and was already running game at 1080p. Why upgrade to get a little bit better, especially if you don't have a 4K TV? Apathy reigns.

The X1X, on the other hand, takes you from worst to best. Even those without 4K TVs are getting an upgrade here, as before they often weren't even getting 1080p games. A shit load of current X1 owners have reason to upgrade.

The pro seemed like it had the hype of a wet fart. Microsoft has been building it up for so long it's kinda crazy. But yeah, idk how well Amazon preorders are for this to be judged. One of my friends preordered 5, no money down, just to see if he can flip them. If not, he is going to cancel

People need to remember that it costs NOTHING to pre order on amazon. They charge when it SHIPS. I bet half of the orders are scalpers waiting to see if it sells out everywhere (being the project scorpio edition) and at least 10% will cancel before release.

The pro seemed like it had the hype of a wet fart. Microsoft has been building it up for so long it's kinda crazy. But yeah, idk how well Amazon preorders are for this. One of my friends preordered 5, no money down, just to see if he can flip them. If not, he is going to cancel

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Really?

A much bigger power gap between base and upgrade
Baseline hardware baked improvements to all games
BC game improvements
SMALLER than the original model
4K bluray

The jump from PS4 to Pro is far smaller than the jump from Xbox One to X.

Thanks. I'm a bit overtired I think. All good points.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
The Switch is taking November and December provided they have the stock.

Not only a question of insufficient stock, but also Nintendo just not playing ball. You win the holidays with low-price bundles. They sometimes pack in a big game, but they do it at full price. The Switch at $299 is a great value, no question. But the XB1S and PS4 Slim with 1-2 games bundled and retailer gift cards at sub-$199 is important to keep in mind, too.

Pro had little leverage going for it. It will not at all shock me if the X1X smashes its LTD in a short amount of time.

The PS4 already had the best versions of every game, and was already running game at 1080p. Why upgrade to get a little bit better, especially if you don't have a 4K TV? Apathy reigns.

The X1X, on the other hand, takes you from worst to best. Even those without 4K TVs are getting an upgrade here, as before they often weren't even getting 1080p games. A shit load of current X1 owners have reason to upgrade.

The X upgrade is certainly far more appealing than the Pro upgrade was, for these and other reasons (e.g. HDR + 4k BR + BC enhancements + smaller compared to launch model), the real question is to what extent the high price will hurt its long term sales potential.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The X upgrade is certainly far more appealing than the Pro upgrade was, for these and other reasons (e.g. HDR + 4k BR + BC enhancements + smaller compared to launch model), the real question is to what extent the high price will hurt its long term sales potential.

Fully expecting sales to drop off a cliff from January on.

Amazon preorders can be easily cancelled so I'm much more interested in seeing actual sales figure comparisons. It does give a good indicator for interest though.

watdaeff4

People need to remember that it costs NOTHING to pre order on amazon. They charge when it SHIPS. I bet half of the orders are scalpers waiting to see if it sells out everywhere (being the project scorpio edition) and at least 10% will cancel before release.
1/2 are scalpers? How much you want to bet on that?

And let's say that 10% is cancelled. Do you think they will just sit there unsold?

C4Lukins

I have to disagree on a few points here.

The PS4 Pro was put out for a few possible reasons. To introduce 4K gaming (though it really should have had an UHD Blu Ray player) which also helps them sell Sony TVs and for more power to support PSVR.

As to the other point, up until now and including now, MS Marketing will even tell you that the S is expected to be their main selling console Nd the X to the core gamer.

I agree that it is a leap over base Xbox One and somewhat the S as well. It would be a successor if they stick with no more generations as a plan.

I am not going to disagree with anything you just said.

I do think PS Pro was more built for PSVR. Then it was 4K or getting better performance and better graphics for the system.

And it seems that PSVR has done quite well, but VR is slowing down. I think VR is going to be huge, but it was a little early for it. Maybe in 5 years it will really take off.

But I think Sonys thoughts on creating the Pro was for VR. But the cost of the hardware versus the price of the hardware is probably minimal as far as profits. And then the game sales do not justify it, because of the small user base. And if you are developing a game, the cost of a Triple AAA game requires a higher user base, so all you will get in the end is smaller games, or Triple AAA games with the feature tacked on.

As someone that just sold their PS4 Slim and now only has the Pro, I can't help but think the PS4 Pro is still not worth owning and isn't worth it even with a 4KTV. The base PS4 is a totally fine system in terms of power. What the Pro offers as a "step up" is... minimal, on the whole.

The leap from Xbox One to X will be much greater given the former starts from a lot less power than a PS4, but what I really want to come away thinking is that the Xbox One X really is a substantial leap even above the base PS4, not just the Xbox One/S (the Pro simply is not that). With its specs and comparative feature set, I think it will be and that's why I pre-ordered. I definitely would not buy a PS4 Pro again at this point, though.

Why? I get to play games in 4K, have access to the largest and best selection of exclusive titles, HDR makes a world of difference...

That is what I'm not getting here. People saying "best place to play games" with the One X. One X users will be playing Destiny 2 in 4K 30fps just like I will be on my Pro. Just one example but you get the point. Add in the objectively better exclusive library, why would I ever think about switching?

watdaeff4

Why? I get to play games in 4K, have access to the largest and best selection of exclusive titles, HDR makes a world of difference...

That is what I'm not getting here. People saying "best place to play games" with the One X. One X users will be playing Destiny 2 in 4K 30fps just like I will be on my Pro. Just one example but you get the point. Add in the objectively better exclusive library, why would I ever think about switching?
I think people are saying "best place to play multiplats " and the poster you are quoting already has a PS4 so gets to play those exclusives anyways

Some of us have both Xbox and PS4 so we aren't "switching". I don't think anyone is trying to sell you to switch

wapplew

MS seriously need to prepare enough stock for the holiday and the rest of 2018.
One X will be the main sales driver over One S, I think we are witnessing premium console become mainstream item like smart phone back in 2007.

I think people are saying "best place to play multiplats " and the poster you are quoting already has a PS4 so gets to play those exclusives anyways

Some of us have both Xbox and PS4 so we aren't "switching". I don't think anyone is trying to sell you to switch

I'm aware. How is it the best place to play multiplats when both systems are running 4K 30fps? What does that extra $100 get me that the Pro doesn't offer me? That's what I'm looking for. I buy movies digitally, so a disk player doesn't sell me.

oti

Banned
Maybe Sony should have included a UHD BR player after all...
To think UHD BR plays such a huge role in sales is just... hilarious.
Remember, I was on record months ago saying the X would outsell the S this holiday. Few believed.
You were on record months ago being wrong.
Congratulations.
🎉🎉🎉

Or to put it this way:
If Xbox X actually does outsell Xbox S this holiday, MS should REALLY worry about Xbox.

Muzy72

Banned
I can't tell if it's impressive for One X or sad for PS4 Pro.

Still no chance in hell this actually moves the needle for Xbox in any way though.

Nobody gives a rats ass about UHD in a game system . If your into high end audio video equipment your not buying a video game system to play UHD Blu rays.

The difference in picture quality isn't worth paying $250+ dollars for a dedicated box.

watdaeff4

I'm aware. How is it the best place to play multiplats when both systems are running 4K 30fps? What does that extra $100 get me that the Pro doesn't offer me? That's what I'm looking for. I buy movies digitally, so a disk player doesn't sell me.

You're one example is Destiny.

Here's a different one:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1422676

Again not saying you should buy one, as you seem like you have zero interest in one and that's fine, but this example is why people are saying it's the best console for multiplats.

Good for Microsoft but how many PS4's are in people's homes? This isn't a new gen. It's just an enthusiast hardware revision.

This holiday who sells more consoles?

Tell me Microsoft?

oti

Banned
I can't tell if it's impressive for One X or sad for PS4 Pro.

Still no chance in hell this actually moves the needle for Xbox in any way though.

As far as we know Pro is doing fine. 20% of PS4 purchases are Pro. That's totally OK. I don't know what else one would expect from a mid-gen refresh anyway. We're at 60 million PS4s because of the price, not the better Pro hardware.

Again, and I really don't know why people just aren't getting this apparently, Sony knew Pro was niche, so does MS with Xbox X. Both of their "volume drivers" are PS4 and Xbox S. As they've said numerous times.

SOR5

MS seriously need to prepare enough stock for the holiday and the rest of 2018.
One X will be the main sales driver over One S, I think we are witnessing premium console become mainstream item like smart phone back in 2007.

Or some very weird thing where both the PS4 slim and One X end up being the main drivers, confusing the hell out of market analysts

Top Bottom