• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

TLZ

Banned
I wish they did this in 2013 instead of selling people a weaker console for a $100 more than PS4 because of the silly Kinect.

UraMallas

There really hasn't been enticing S bundles this year TBH. They had a Forza Horizon bundle and a halo wars 2 bundle. Those aren't gonna be major sellers

I just bought an S bundle from Amazon yesterday for $250 that had Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition, Halo 5, Forza 6 and Recore.

DxD

Banned
That's cool I guess?
I actually thought it would be something impressive like in the top 10 or something.

But wow...Can't believe someone scrolled all the way down to find this factoid.
I mean, don't most of us just kinda stop after the top 20-30 results?
You need to go down to 60-70 range and than 90-100 for these consoles to show up.
Kinda sad for both.

katsais

Well, judging by those ridiculous eBay auctions, a lot of people may just be banking on an early inventory shortage to try to make a buck.

Plus, Amazon doesn't charge for until the item ships, so those pre-orders can easily get cancelled. A more serious metric might be a channel like Best Buy, which holds the funds immediately (I know, because I got my pre-order at Best Buy).

Capella

There really hasn't been enticing S bundles this year TBH. They had a Forza Horizon bundle and a halo wars 2 bundle. Those aren't gonna be major sellers

Yeah, with the recently announced bundles I expect we will see it on the list. I don't know how many of those Minecraft bundles they will have in stock but I expect that to do very well.

Wait a minute. So they are comparing early adopters pre order numbers for X1X against...what exactly? 8 months of PS4 Pro sales? I would much rather see the pre order comparisons. Early adopters for anything can make it seem like something is going to sell well.

watdaeff4

Well, judging by those ridiculous eBay auctions, a lot of people may just be banking on an early inventory shortage to try to make a buck.

Plus, Amazon doesn't charge for until the item ships, so those pre-orders can easily get cancelled. A more serious metric might be a channel like Best Buy, which holds the funds immediately (I know, because I got my pre-order at Best Buy).

Best Buy does? I've preordered from them before and I never noticed that. (I use a BB credit card when I order online if that makes a difference)

Oh shit...this thread is gonna get some mileage.

The ps4 pro after 12 months still does not effectively communicate the benifit of a pro over a standard ps4....scorpio just needs to say most powerful console..this is simple...true and its effective.

While i dont think they can take the crown this gen they certainly are doing the best backtrack on all their shitty decisions in xbox1 launch..they just need to get their first party stuff out the door and it will be a must have for any gamer

UraMallas

That's cool I guess?
I actually thought it would be something impressive like in the top 10 or something.

But wow...Can't believe someone scrolled all the way down to find this factoid.
I mean, don't most of us just kinda stop after the top 20-30 results?
You need to go down to 60-70 range and than 90-100 for these consoles to show up.
Kinda sad for both.

The guy literally does video games sales stuff for a living. He just did his job.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No one is surprised at you pretending the Pro hasn't sold well.

Huh?

What are you even talking about? Wasn't it revealed last year that the percentage of Pro sales under the PS4 banner was only like 10-15% or something during the Nov/Dec rush?

The base models of both these models are going to be the bigger sellers but base One owners have way more reason to upgrade than base PS4 owners do. That's not really up for debate. Which explains why the pre-orders are high.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Huh?

What are you even talking about? Wasn't it revealed last year that the percentage of Pro sales under the PS4 banner was only like 10-15% or something during the Nov/Dec rush?

The base models of both these models are going to be the bigger sellers but base One owners have way more reason to upgrade than base PS4 owners do. That's not really up for debate. Which explains why the pre-orders are high.

The real question is after launch, what deals will they have for users looking to jump in. they surely arent gonna keep it at 500 forever, i dont know what deals Sony has done for pro for that matter

It's only Amazon, so does it honestly mean much? Should Amazon numbers be considered an indication for other retailers allowing XB1X preorders?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's only Amazon, so does it honestly mean much? Should Amazon numbers be considered an indication for other retailers allowing XB1X preorders?

er...it probably doesn't mean much for amount of sales themselves after launch since its amazon only and US only and preorders only, but that still shows us that there is interest in the product leading up to the release

I mean i dont think i've seen anyone saying otherwise or trying to extrapolate that to be bigger than it is...some of the push back against this fairly credible info i'm not understanding

thelastword

Banned
This November will be very interesting, especially with a PRO at $350.00.......

The thing about Amazon though is how quickly positions on this chart can change, there are also multiple pro bundles as well, including one with two controllers and a wall charger.. In the next two weeks, I think Destiny will have a pro bundle amongst others, GTS may have one too soon after....I still think preorders vs actual sales is a very dangerous thing to gauge and get excited about...When people are really vested to buy come November or for the holidays, they will have many options to choose from, which can include cancelling their XBONEX pre-orders on Amazon because they don't charge your cards till your item ships, so it's a safety net for many whilst you decide......Tbf, It's just a bad idea to compare pre-orders on an Amazon list to actual sales...

The heavy sales months that actually do matter are not even on yet, but I do expect pro sales to bump up come Destiny2 and significantly through the holidays....

Welfare

It's gonna sell out but not at great quantities. i wanna say the expensive halo 5 bundle sold under 100k in October 2015
The limited Halo 5 bundle sold 93K, and that was $499 I think. I don't see 100K of those Minecraft bundles being sold in October.

I'm honestly not surprised. There's not a whole lot of 4K content for 4KTV owners, be it shows/movies/games. I'd probably get one if I didn't already have a PC, Pro and Switch.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with how many games on the Pro are 1440p or some bullshit like 1628p. Sure it looks better than 1080p but sub-native res almost never looks good with console-quality anti-aliasing.

fersnake

of course xbox fans are begging for a powerful console since xbox one launch, how many years? tomb raider seems pretty good tho.

BriGuy

That's cool, but I don't think it means much. This time next year, I expect the Xbox One S to be the primary mover of the Xbox brand, just like PS4 remains the primary mover of the Playstation brand.

C4Lukins

It is a weird thing, because the PS4 was already the most powerful console. And I think it was a confusing poorly marketed half step by Sony to even have a more powerful system.

A year later more people have 4K television sets or are planning to buy one in the near future. MS has been promoting at least to the hardcore this updated version for a year. And that is before any actual push on television or even through YouTube ads and the such before the actual launch in November.

It feels more like a successor to the Xbox One I think then an upgrade. And they get that marketing line of most powerful console.

Not sure if these numbers will hold up, but I imagine the PS4 will still be the go to Sony SKU, while the Xbox X will significantly outsell the Xbox One S.

NolbertoS

It was expected, its a new console abd toy and people are eager. I'm sure at least 15-20% are scalpers trying to make a profit too on Xbox One. I wouldn't trust Amazon though for sales, as anyone can pre-order without putting a dime. Like others are stating, I wanna see Xbox Scorpio have legs and be able to dethrone Switch.

On Demand

Banned
Wait a minute. So they are comparing early adopters pre order numbers for X1X against...what exactly? 8 months of PS4 Pro sales? I would much rather see the pre order comparisons. Early adopters for anything can make it seem like something is going to sell well.

Pro was 46 launch year on Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=3

We have to wait till standard model 1X pre orders go up, and launch sales, to see where it ends up.

PlayStation 4 continues to be a sales success story for Sony, so if the Xbox One X has managed to outpace the total 2017 Amazon US sales of PS4 Pro in mere days, that can only be interpreted as good news for Microsoft.

One is not like the other. Just saying.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It is a weird thing, because the PS4 was already the most powerful console. And I think it was a confusing poorly marketed half step by Sony to even have a more powerful system.

A year later more people have 4K television sets or are planning to buy one in the near future. MS has been promoting at least to the hardcore this updated version for a year. And that is before any actual push on television or even through YouTube ads and the such before the actual launch in November.

It feels more like a successor to the Xbox One I think then an upgrade. And they get that marketing line of most powerful console.

Not sure if these numbers will hold up, but I imagine the PS4 will still be the go to Sony SKU, while the Xbox X will significantly outsell the Xbox One S.

I have to disagree on a few points here.

The PS4 Pro was put out for a few possible reasons. To introduce 4K gaming (though it really should have had an UHD Blu Ray player) which also helps them sell Sony TVs and for more power to support PSVR.

As to the other point, up until now and including now, MS Marketing will even tell you that the S is expected to be their main selling console Nd the X to the core gamer.

I agree that it is a leap over base Xbox One and somewhat the S as well. It would be a successor if they stick with no more generations as a plan.

Soroc

Does Sony even advertise the Pro? Lol I feel like they just throw it out there as another option without really putting it in your face like Msft and their "Most Powerful yadda yadda"

I would hope Msft is outselling the Pro since thats all Msft is advertising these days lol

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Does Sony even advertise the Pro? Lol I feel like they just throw it out there as another option without really putting it in your face like Msft and their "Most Powerful yadda yadda"

I would hope Msft is outselling the Pro since thats all Msft is advertising these days lol

They just announced a PS4 Slim GT Sport bundle. Not for the Pro. That says a lot as to which Sony is pushing as their main selling box. Here, like MS, the Pro is for the core gamer and maybe the ones with PSVR.

jdmonmou

The X selling more than the Pro this year doesn't really mean a whole lot. Sony's still selling more consoles overall than Microsoft.

While this is a very healthy sign for the Xbox One X, I'd pump the brakes a bit here.

First, for whatever reason, the Pro has been out of stock for various lengthy periods of time on Amazon in 2017. Second, there have been multiple SKU's offered for the Pro as well thus maybe scattering the sales data.

Hope the One X sells gangbusters, but I'd wait for something a little more concrete before drawing conclusions.

big_z

that's good. the closer Microsoft and sony are in sales the better it is for gamers.

No One S in sight. Not looking good for Xbox.

amazon hardware tracking isn't reliable as it tracks by sku. xbox has had a handful of bundles(each have different sku) this year already so it makes sense for its sales to be spread thinner across multiple bundles.

Top Bottom