• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

watdaeff4

Again, and I really don't know why people just aren't getting this apparently, Sony knew Pro was niche, so does MS with Xbox X. Both of their "volume drivers" are PS4 and Xbox S. As they've said numerous times.
I see waaaaay more people saying this (that the premium consoles aren't the volume drivers) than vice-versa. I think most do get it

oti

Banned
so if ps4 sells are at
Jan: 210,665
Feb: 398,407
Mar: 396,726
Apr: 206,247
May: 187,182
Jun: 381,196
july: ???

that 1,780,000 to 1,900,000
lets say 20% are ps4 pro thats 356,000 to 375,000

so microsoft sold around say 400,000 unit. great job

if the npd post is right http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244047078&postcount=708

little drunk sorry if my math is off

- NPD is just the US, 20% PS4 Pro should be worldwide, so the numbers are higher
- this is one retailer (Amazon)
- these are pre-orders
- your conclusion makes no sense

watdaeff4

What's also impressive is that the pro outsold the xbox one s. The One S isn't even on the top 100 for 2017.

The pro also outsold the xbox one s on amazon in 2016. Pro is #46 and One S 500 gb bundle with bf1 is #64

You do know the fault in your logic don't you? Or is this a sarcastic post?

I have no idea why you're not banned tbh.
I appreciate a good troll from time to time, but this is way too flat.
If you want him banned for posts like that, you need to take a good look around (not you are trolling but many other posters)

oti

Banned
I see waaaaay more people saying this (that the premium consoles aren't the volume drivers) than vice-versa. I think most do get it

I'm sure you're right and the people who don't get it just stand out more. I like how often some gamers believe they know it better than the companies themselves. That's just incredibly hilarious to me. To wish away basic market realities and economic principles for a brand (may it be PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo) they apparently really love.

watdaeff4

In sure you're right and the people who don't get it just stand out more. I like how often some gamers believe they know it better than the companies themselves. That's just incredibly hilarious to me. To wish away basic market realities and economic principles for a brand (may it be PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo) they apparently really love.
What's awesome I brought this up the other day on here that MS never expected Scorpio sales to cause any sort of significant dent in the marketshare lead by Sony and got mocked by Sony fanboy(s) for it

What's also impressive is that the pro outsold the xbox one s. The One S isn't even on the top 100 for 2017.

The pro also outsold the xbox one s on amazon in 2016. Pro is #46 and One S 500 gb bundle with bf1 is #64

I also expect some crazy BF sales this year.

$200 ps4 or $249 (or lower) with 2 games

$200 xbox one s or $249 (or lower) with 2 games

$300-$350 Pro or $399 with 1 or 2 games

There could of been a lot of SKUs of PS4 pro but I swear I remember at least 5 or 6 plus SKUs of the Xb1 S . I'm just wondering if overall the X1 actually outsold the ps4 pro at least

NullZ3r0

Banned
Sony is the market leader and they don't want to cannibalize PS4 sales so they aren't as aggressive. The Xbox One X is a do-over for MS. They don't want to say it, but they fucked up with the Xbox One and want to erase it from history. So they're pushing the X as hard as they can.

Sony is the market leader and they don't want to cannibalize PS4 sales so they aren't as aggressive. The Xbox One X is a do-over for MS. They don't want to say it, but they fucked up with the Xbox One and want to erase it from history. So they're pushing the X as hard as they can.

... Even though the sales pitch for X and Pro are functionally similar, they're products from 2 different companies.

Sometimes, companies just do things differently even with the same intended outcome. Just because Xbox is more "aggressive" doesn't mean that Sony is consciously being softer about it, and vice-versa.

zeopower6

Pretty much most people won't be buying Pros unless they have a price break.

In the same chart it's the Switch at no.6 and PS4 Slim at no.9. It really doesn't mean diddly IMO. Plus Pros have been on the market for like 10 months now?

Also quite literally the X is the only Xbox console in the top 100.

unrealist

Maybe those who are interested in the X are people who are interested in PC gaming - but deterred to building one due to its complexity (to them).

It looks like a good PC alternative wrapped in a console shell.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Why? I get to play games in 4K, have access to the largest and best selection of exclusive titles, HDR makes a world of difference...

That is what I'm not getting here. People saying "best place to play games" with the One X. One X users will be playing Destiny 2 in 4K 30fps just like I will be on my Pro. Just one example but you get the point. Add in the objectively better exclusive library, why would I ever think about switching?
Just to clarify, I'm not advocating against owning a PS4. The Pro specifically is just not very well implemented and never has established itself as necessary. The Xbox One X is by all indications better thought out than the Pro was. It is more powerful and that will show, but you can get a great showing on just a normal PS4 that is not significantly inferior to the Pro. If the X is really this much better than not just the stock PS4 but the Pro, I will use it to play most of my games and be happy with it. If you already have a Pro and are happy with that, enjoy it. For my end, I was and am saying the PS4 Pro is just not very impressive compared to anything else you can get for the money.

Maybe those who are interested in the X are people who are interested in PC gaming - but deterred to building one due to its complexity (to them).

Maybe others are interested in it because they like the power of a PC in a console, as you said, but already build all their own machines and have come to appreciate that power on top of what consoles offer. I'm in that camp myself and have seen others here that are too.

I can see why people look at the X as a do over console. The 500 price point is high but likely wont stick around long . I can see Maybe a year before its 400 and a bargain at that price. I was always curious about people saying the S will hold it back since you can still put the game on the S and it will look terrible. That would just make people want the X more

zeopower6

Sorry I need some help in walking through this logic.

The Pro isn't really marketed aggressively. If people want a PS4 they'll buy a Slim. Like... for this very chart it's like this.

#6 Switch normal color
#9 PS4 Slim bundle
#20 Switch red/blue
#66 Xbox One X
#90 PS4 Pro

zeopower6

Same thing I was thinking.

This is not news worthy. The real proof of things to come will be in January when sales normalize.

I think it's "news" at first glance but really the chart doesn't really tell us anything. I mean the top 3 spots are all PS Store cards, does that tell us that Sony has dominance? The top 20 alone is like half Sony products.

- NPD is just the US, 20% PS4 Pro should be worldwide, so the numbers are higher
- this is one retailer (Amazon)
- these are pre-orders
- your conclusion makes no sense

Too add on to this:
- There's been multiple other sku's of the Pro (Destiny 2 version, one with an extra controller) which don't combine on the sales charts.
- Weirdly, the Pro has been out of stock on Amazon for multiple lengthy periods of time in 2017.

Also, I now see people making claims about the Xbox One S sales...chill on those as well as there's been multiple sku's of that. Really, I would hold off on making any sweeping conclusions regarding console sales on Amazon as they are divided up in a number of different ways.

IF you still want to draw some shoddy conclusions from something completely inexact, here's the monthly sales of when the Pro went on sale, https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-09/videogames

and when the Xbox One X went on sale,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-08/videogames

Obviously a trillion variables at play here, but still both got trounced by Playstation gift cards.

zeopower6

Nothing wrong with reporting this. It's a fact. People just need to understand how to interpret this properly.

I don't think it's that there's anything 'wrong' with it, but it also doesn't mention the fact that the Xbox One X is the only console from MS in said chart, while Nintendo and Sony both have multiple entries placed much higher.

Sarobi

Banned
The One X marketing makes it feel like an entirely new Xbox generation.

The Pro has little marketing, and doesn't come off as a "new PlayStation".. just another version of it.

I truly believe it would of benefited Sony to just pass on a mid generation upgrade and waited it about a bit longer to announce the PS5. They would of been in the same position they are now, and would of avoided the "why is there another playstation coming out so soon?" questions if they decide to announce the PS5 next year.

Wait, is this list based purely on sales numbers? I just assumed they weighted it by sales activity/price/etc. Also are 3rd party vendors counted at all?

Gummy

Neo Member
The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly ugly, while the Xbox One X might be the most impressive looking console EVER.

There are three things going on here.

1) The Pro has two SKUs while the XB1X only has one. Here are the Pro SKUs along with their position in the current best sellers list (not 2017 list).
  • #62: PlayStation 4 Pro 1TB Console
  • #132: PlayStation 4 Pro 1TB Console - Destiny 2 Bundle
2) There is a larger power differentiation between the base XB1 and XB1x giving a greater motivating to upgrade. The XB1S is still going to be the largest seller of the two, but the XB1X could end up getting a higher percent of the platform sales than the PS4 Pro.

3) The XB1X is getting a boost due to it launching this year. All the enthusiast early adopters are queuing up to preorder vs the PS4 Pro early adopters buying last holiday season. The Pro and the XB1X are premium products specifically targeted towards the enthusiast market, thus both should have sales more front loaded than normal.

As with the release PS4 and XB1, we'll have to wait until the early adopters have been satiated before we can find the base demand. Remember the XB1 hung in there with the PS4 during that first year (although XB1 dropping the Kinect dead weight had a lot to do with that).

BigEmil

Lmao no. There's millions of things PC has that Xbox One X doesn't, this is nowhere near everything PC gaming is

Sweep14

Interesting. If a majority of people getting an Xbox One X are already Xbox One owners, then that doesn't really increase the install base. Will be interesting to see if there's any meaningful increase in Xbox Live accounts.

Wasn't Abdiel saying that 85-90% of the preorders at his work were coming from Xbox owners (with similar results in his whole district) ?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

The Pro has little marketing, and doesn't come off as a "new PlayStation".. just another version of it.

I truly believe it would of benefited Sony to just pass on a mid generation upgrade and waited it about a bit longer to announce the PS5. They would of been in the same position they are now, and would of avoided the "why is there another playstation coming out so soon?" questions if they decide to announce the PS5 next year.

I agree, but only because i've always thought Sony should not have made the Pro and just waited till 2019 or 2020 to release PS5. People were not majorly clamoring for a Pro that they needed to invest in something like that and needlessly complicate the market

Sweep14

1) The Pro has two SKUs while the XB1X only has one. Here are the Pro SKUs along with their position in the current best sellers list (not 2017 list).
2) There is a larger power differentiation between the base XB1 and XB1x giving a greater motivating to upgrade. The XB1S is still going to be the largest seller of the two, but the XB1X could end up getting a higher percent of the platform sales than the PS4 Pro.

3) The XB1X is getting a boost due to it launching this year. All the enthusiast early adopters are queuing up to preorder vs the PS4 Pro early adopters buying last holiday season. The Pro and the XB1X are premium products specifically targeted towards the enthusiast market, thus both should have sales more front loaded than normal.

As with the release PS4 and XB1, we'll have to wait until the early adopters have been satiated before we can find the base demand. Remember the XB1 hung in there with the PS4 during that first year (although XB1 dropping the Kinect dead weight had a lot to do with that).

Good points. Also unknown is the effect of an eventual 50$ slash on PS4 Pro.

oti

Banned

This will definitely be interesting to observe. MS is banking on the core fanbase to buy the Xbox X. Since Xbox sales are half of PS4 sales at this point, the percentage of Xbox X owners out of all Xbox owners should be higher than on the PS4 side.

Rellik

Still think the lack of a 4K Bluray player is what turns people off.

Guys like you think you know the demand for UHD discs more than the gigantic movie and blu-ray company Sony, which is hilarious.

There is no demand. There's not even demand for regular blu-ray. Most only care about DVD and streaming.

The Xbox One X will sell to people who want to upgrade their Xbox just like the Pro sells to people upgrading from the jet engine PS4.

JusDoIt

If Microsoft is trying to market this as an entirely new Xbox generation, they're failing at that. Console launches top charts just off GP, but the One X isn't. Maybe that changes as we get closer to launch, but I don't think consumers are actually buying that this is anything more than just an Xbox One with better specs.

Top Bottom