• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2009 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

Druaga and Birdy will be my playlist.

I'll check on the episodes of Beast Performers and Hetalia. Looks interesting.

Zyzyxxz

kemono.jpg

it may not be the sequel to Seirei no Moribito that I had hoped but its the next best thing!

Lets hope the character development is just as good as SnM

IPPO BITCHES. that is all that matters next season. sure more slayers great. But its not gaadamn ippo. now lets hope they can live up to the original.

Joule said:
Natsume Yuujincho sounds really interesting in particular. Is it similar to something like Mushishi?

I wouldn't say so. I marathoned it a few days ago and I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's more lighthearted than Mushishi, and it more than likely falls into the "slice of life" genre. The plot doesn't really go anywhere, and is more a vehicle to watch the main character meander around. Even then there's nothing really interesting about the things he encounters. The op mentioned the loneness theme, but that was really low key.

I guess the reason I did enjoy it was because it doesn't engulf you with all these big themes. The subtle melancholy and likable characters carried the show. I wonder if my opinion would've been different if I watched it one ep a week though.

I would say it's somewhere between Hanada Shonen-shi (boy can see ghosts) and Honey and Clover, without the extremes of both (hijink and humor for the former, and melodrama of the latter). The main character is voiced by one of the leads in H&C.

Jason

Druaga yay! Here's my list:

will definitely watch
druaga
miname-ke (2nd season had it's moments)
natsume yuujinchou
slayers (even though revolution was kinda sucky)
beast performer
hetalia axis powers
ride back

somewhat interested in
white album
kurokami
chrome shield regios
genji

guilty pleasure stuff i'll watch a couple eps of
asa no yoichi
akikan

BluWacky

I am literally only really interested in Kemono no Souja Erin for January.

Which is good, because I have a backlog a mile long from JULY as I've basically given up on anime :(

Roll on April, though! Higashi no Eden, Guin Saga, Hanazakeru Seishounen, Shangri-La... all looking potentially more interesting than January, as usual. Maybe I'll even WATCH one or two of them.

7Th

You're missing Before Green Gables there, OP.

Dead said:
lol, absolutely nothing

aside from Birdy maybe. First season was ehhhhhh

Tale of Genji? I know Dezaki hasn't directed anything worthwhile for the past 10 years but...

Dascu

Whatever happend to that "Alive" anime? It was posted in the Fall 2009 list, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Any info?

rykomatsu said:
Akikan! / アキカン!
Synopsis: When the protagonist puts his mout to a melon flavoured soda from a vending machine, the canned drink turns into a girl...
facepalm4.jpg

BluWacky

Dascu said:
Whatever happend to that "Alive" anime? It was posted in the Fall 2009 list, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Any info?

Announced but still in production. GONZO are supposed to only have four shows this year - Druaga 2 (January), Shangri-La (April), Slap Up Party Arad-senki (TBC) and Alive (TBC). They've just announced Saki, and I have no idea how that fits in to things, but that's how things currently stand.

Bebpo

Banned
Just sticking with Michiko + Gundam + Xam'd until FMA2/East of Eden in the spring and 428 whenever it is.

slade

Op, isn't there going to be another Higurashi series this winter?

Edit: It's going to be an OVA in February, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei.

Dascu

slade said:
Op, isn't there going to be another Higurashi series this winter?

Edit: It's going to be an OVA in February, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei.
Oh? Great news. Loved the first two seasons.

rykomatsu

so...it turns out, the script writer for Tommorrow's Yoichi / Ashita no Yoichi was the script writer for ep 1~7 of Kannagi. I think this might have some potential if the VAs can pull it off.

Nagi and Zange's CVs are 2 of the 4 sisters lol

zoku88

Hasn't the anime of Kannagi been pretty faithful to the manga? It's almost 100% except for a few of the episodes. Is it good to judge the quality of the scriptwriting based on that?

rykomatsu

zoku88 said:
Hasn't the anime of Kannagi been pretty faithful to the manga? It's almost 100% except for a few of the episodes. Is it good to judge the quality of the scriptwriting based on that?

has it? i've never read the manga so... :/

I thought ep7 (cockroach ep) was an anime original, at the very least...thought it was really well done...if it's from the manga then well...i retract my above statement

7Th

zoku88 said:

He also wrote Kamichu! and Now and Then, Here and There, though.

On an unrelated note, Michiko to Hatchin episode 7 was fucking brilliant. Best single episode of the entire fall season.

zoku88

rykomatsu said:
has it? i've never read the manga so... :/

I thought ep7 (cockroach ep) was an anime original, at the very least...thought it was really well done...if it's from the manga then well...i retract my above statement
Is that the closet one? I don't think that was in the manga. That was prolly my 2nd fav episode though.

7Th said:
He also wrote Kamichu! and Now and Then, Here and There, though.

On an unrelated note, Michiko to Hatchin episode 7 was fucking brilliant. Best single episode of the entire fall season.
Wasn't Kamichu! also really like the manga? Or did the manga come afterwards?

Anyway, I havent seen the latter one, so maybe he is good.

I see praise for Michiko to Hatchin, What's it about? (Isn't Hatchin like a dog's name?)

Joule

Just watched a couple eps of Natsume Yuujinchou. It's pretty enjoyable I must say. Grandma was pretty cool.

Koshiba

Man, they need to put out some more teasing for Ippo. ;-;

Not a whole lot else looking forward to.. More Major always good too. Not sure why listing Anne.. Aren't they just reairing it? :x

Shouta

The Rideback site got a big update today. Since most folks don't know much about it, I'll just describe it since I'm a big fan of the manga.

It's about a girl named Ogata Rin, who has just entered college. On her first day, she encounters the machines that are the series' namesake, Ridebacks, on her college campus. She is eventually thrown into the situation on her campus involving the student protesters and the Global Government Force (GGF) and the story rolls from there.

Speaking purely on the manga, I was really surprised when I picked it up. It's really good. Mixes it's storyline and fun daily life stuff really well. I can't say much more without having to go into the story but I will say that I was so impressed that I started scanlating it myself. :lol

I don't know if the anime will be as good as the manga (seeing as they've changed quite a few things it seems) but I'm in for the ride (pun intended).

rykomatsu

Shouta said:
I don't know if the anime will be as good as the anime (seeing as they've changed quite a few things it seems) but I'm in for the ride (pun intended).
:p

I might take a sneak into the series if i can find a used copy at bookoff or something. How many volumes is it and is it still ongoing? Wikipedia didn't have much info when I was putting the posts together

Shouta

Fixed!

It's currently 8 volumes. The final chapter's been written though so it's just a matter of it being published and then compiled by Ikki. I need to get some new copies myself. I ripped up the ones I had back in the States to scan them (so I could work on it) before I left.

Kasahara is really fucking amazing when it comes to some of his art. His human style is a bit odd but gosh, his scenes and mecha are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom