• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
oHfCzMml.jpg

Cornbread78

Saekano 9-12:

OK, I just got cought up on the last few episodes. I mean, regardless if it is a "Harem Anime" which most do not like, this show is really funny. They have left it wide open with relationships with each girl, and not in a sleazy way. Two of the best lines of the year for the show in the same 2 minute span as back and forth banter was hilarious..

"You can try to deliver cool lines while in a cowgirl position, but it will still look, ya know.."

"You can try to deliver cool lines while in the Lotus Blossom position, but-"

OMG, the context and execution was perfect.... Had me LOL in the office.. Also, that inclusion of Gurren Legann as a cover song was awesome stuff. Thanks GAF for allowing me to catch on to that one!

Man, I realy love the mood of that show and it was just what I needed after Madoka! It took them a few episodes to hit the right note, but the director got it and now I really can't wait until next season! I just hope it is as funny and entertaining as this one has been.

Shirobako - 24 [Finale]

What an exhilarating finish. Giving Miyamori's that kind of major speech was perhaps a tad much but it was beautiful either way.

Good luck to the other anime this year, you'll need it for the battle of AotY.

varkuriru

Shirobako - 24 [Finale]

What an exhilarating finish. Giving Miyamori's that kind of major speech was perhaps a tad much but it was beautiful either way.

Seconded! And dat face... had to replay that when it happened in the episode lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saekano 9-12:

OK, I just got cought up on the last few episodes. I mean, regardless if it is a "Harem Anime" which most do not like, this show is really funny. They have left it wide open with relationships with each girl, and not in a sleazy way. Two of the best lines of the year for the show in the same 2 minute span as back and forth banter was hilarious..

"You can try to deliver cool lines while in a cowgirl position, but it will still look, ya know.."

"You can try to deliver cool lines while in the Lotus Blossom position, but-"

OMG, the context and execution was perfect.... Had me LOL in the office.. Also, that inclusion of Gurren Legann as a cover song was awesome stuff. Thanks GAF for allowing me to catch on to that one!

Man, I realy love the mood of that show and it was just what I needed after Madoka! It took them a few episodes to hit the right note, but the director got it and now I really can't wait until next season! I just hope it is as funny and entertaining as this one has been.
The problem, beyond the terribly standard harem, is that the show constantly uses lampshading metatextuality to try to make up for the fact that it's an empty show. So characters talk about themselves as characters, including Kato spelling out the harem, yet no one does anything about it. That and the constant pandering to the anime audience that makes the writing in The Big Bang Theory seem subtle.

Shirobako - 24 [Finale]

Did Zuka do the right thing and quit anime to become a real actress?

yours? Into origami?
The origami was something the seller included actually. I will say one thing about used games from Japan, they tend to be in perfect condition. It's crazy.

phaze

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 36

I like how Polnareff was standing there for 5 minutes without calling in his Stand.

But it was another good episode and a really funny one at at that. Didn't really notice any extensive padding, if it occurred it felt harmless.

I will laugh if Dio's Stand will turn out to be Kyouka Suigetsu or something to that effect. Teleportation seems the only other explanation for what he showed off here.

Bonus points for another glorious ED.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair if I ever sold anything this is the kind of condition you would expect.
Infinite Stratos still had the bonus cards unopened, so it's like the people who sell games to shops even keep things super pristine.

Incidentally, it's for another online card game that I've never heard of... Japan is really going hard into the licensed anime CCG business.

Cornbread78

Yes thats it!

Perfect, After I catch up on the most recent episode of Cross Ange, I will start that one.

The problem, beyond the terribly standard harem, is that the show constantly uses lampshading metatextuality to try to make up for the fact that it's an empty show. So characters talk about themselves as characters, including Kato spelling out the harem, yet no one does anything about it. That and the constant pandering to the anime audience that makes the writing in The Big Bang Theory seem subtle.

But the subtext and comedy of it all covers that up and makes for a very "fun" show. I guess I just haven't become jaded to the overabundance of Anime tropes ye, lol.

jman2050

Shirobako 24

So the show begins with Initial D and then ends on Initial D, how appropriate. I can definitely see how they would have production issues on this episode, though I imagine they'd prefer to not have this little bit of meta-commentary on display!

Also we get final confirmation via her conversation with her own dolls that Aoi really is delusional and crazy!
And Ai is too!

Can't wait for next week's episo-- wait, there isn't going to be a next one.

Series Review

It was okay, I guess.
AOTY contender for sure, though I imagine it'll easily repeat in the top ten on this forum anyway.

Shirobako - 24 [Finale]

With Gintama airing this year it'll be a easy achievement.

Shirobako 24

When Miyamori was in the train, snowfall started to take place and the train service announced possible delays I was all like "I've watched 5cm/s enough to know where this is going @_@"

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 24

I'm glad that Funimation got the GARO franchise an official foot in the door in the west. As a standalone series, I'm satisfied with it. A bit standard as far as action-fantasy series go, but it had a lot of character and forward motion. As for where it stands in terms of the larger GARO franchise... I don't know, because this was my introduction to the franchise, and probably was for a lot of other people.

But I'm holding myself to watch at least one of the four (soon to be five) other GARO series before the anime's second season goes on air. It's modern day and live action, and will certainly be a different experience than this, but if the anime is an indication of what the rest of the franchise is like, I'm in for a good time.

And if anybody wants to know some toku by Yasuko Kobayashi (who wrote the anime), hit me up. I'm very familiar with these things. They're kids' shows, but really good kids' shows.

The ending got the emotions it needed to out, with Leon realizing that
the flames enveloping him were his mother's protection, not for revenge.
It all felt very Star Fox there for a second, but I'm pleased with the finale and the show.

Vecks

Saekano 11-12

I figured they were going to do an anime concert but didn't expect the band to react the way they did. Anyway, as for ending thoughts, overall I found the show pleasant and enjoyable. It helps that the animation and art was mostly solid. I don't think it needs another season, but I prefer closure and I think just another 2 episodes or so to finish it out (see the game to completion) would have been better. The only thing that truly disappoints me is that most of the characters didn't get much part in the show, like the "rival" and his sister, or even Michiru. They just kind of come and go all too quickly. There was also something that struck me as odd. For most of the show, the fanservice was rather light, with only a couple of scenes here and there each episode that may be suggestive, but they kind of just amp it up to 11 as soon as Michiru gets introduced. It just felt excessive in the last 3 episodes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 24:

It is not often I find myself so verkelmpt over a program and yet here we are. At this moment I will also echo the chorus and say this is a strong contender for AOTY. It made number four on my list last year and seem predicated to be even higher this year. Also, I want that second season because there are more stories to be told, indeed just from this episode we got two new productions and we still do not have the remade student project yet. Anyway, yes, a damn fine ending to a damn fine show.

Cornbread78

Yuki Yuna is a Hero Ep. 1

Cajun, what IS this show... I thought this was a light-hearted love story? So far, it's more "Magic Girls" lol....

Midonin

Isuca 10

A lot more brutal than I was expecting from the first images. Aside from that, pretty middle-of-the-road, about what I'd expect for a show of this ilk. Some romance, some cute girls, some monster busting. Yet I watch shows like this anyway because it's good to have more than just the best and the worst. The stuff in the middle can say just as much about the era it was made in.

CorvoSol

Gundam Wing Frozen Tear Drop Drama Audio Visual Whatever

This was awful but it's Gundam Wing so I will spread my legs for more.

Patlabor The New Files 16

60 some odd episodes and Izumi and Asuma never got together.

Time to gamble on somebody hooking up with literally anybody in the movies.

Garo - 24 [S1 End]

Good stuff. Though I think they played it rather safe, I was sort of expecting it to end on another note.
I liked that pretty much the whole episode was dedicated to Godlike Mendoza and Leon. Leons merge with Germans gear was awesome.
My favorite part of the episode was when Leons mother appeared and the whole flame reveal. I'm still salty as fuck for losing German, I'm going to miss that goofball ;_;7
But hey, Season 2 Zoro Junior hype! I hope he will be like German. Garo has been a blast to follow for the past six months. It's perhaps my favorite show from both autumn and winter, with the second cour being especially attractive.
The blend of fantasy in a medival setting along with mature and dark themes, as well as most of the designs hit right up my alley. I think Mendoza made a good villain. Season 2 cannot come soon enough.

Kikirin

Cajun, what IS this show... I thought this was a light-hearted love story? So far, it's more "Magic Girls" lol....

I think some wires got crossed - from what I can tell, Yuki Yuna ain't a love story. It's more magical girl stuff akin to Madoka Magica.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 12:

I'll be honest, I am not sure what to make of this ending, time and reflection are going to be needed to say something other than congratulations.

Definitely nothing resembling a romantic love story in this one. If I remember correctly Cajun was saying that if you liked Madoka then you may want to check out Yuki Yuna is a Hero, I think seeing that it's a magical girl show based on that isn't too surprising.

But honestly I came away pretty unsatisfied from this one. I think it does a decent job of establishing itself as a magical girl show in a post-Madoka world but the fight choreography, some specific progression of events, and the ending left me pretty eh on the overall product. It's entertaining but nothing to write home about.

Cornbread78

Definitely nothing resembling a romantic love story in this one. If I remember correctly Cajun was saying that if you liked Madoka then you may want to check out Yuki Yuna is a Hero, I think seeing that it's a magical girl show based on that isn't too surprising.

LOL, true enough.... I'm on 3/12, but I may need to look for a differnt route here.

Looking for a good love story, maybe with some action included, "save the princess" types are Okay as well. Or a romantic comedy, just a different tone all together after Medoka. I might go back to this one later, just to check it out, but it's definately has a more "kiddie" tone to it.

Assassination Classroom Episode 11 Transfer Student Time Period 2
tumblr_nljh3svdfi1ru5d4io1_540.jpg

Itona is animated perfection. They did his eyes extremely well and captured his personality perfectly. Can easily see the position he could fill in the class.

Love his voice too, reminds me KoiChoco.

Jarmel

Banned
Garo -24
They played the ending a lot safer than I expected.
It actually ending on a semi-happy note is pretty weird considering how much suffering Leon has been through up to this point. I was fully expecting Ema to kick the bucket
. MAPPA found their budget again and the finale was pretty chokeful of high speed combat. I feel like they used the camera speed pretty effectively when doing the Mendoza vs. Leon battle. The Inazuma kick scene was pretty awesome and I loved the mini deconstruction of transformation sequences.

One complaint I had with the episode was both the soundtrack and the sound mixing. The soundtrack was pretty dead for the finale other than the use of some themes and oddly missing in a number of scenes. The sound mixing also seemed too quiet at times as well and was flat.
So the show as a whole was a slow burn. It had too much episodic content and the standalone episodes weren't really that compelling. That said, the show really started to come into its own near the end of the first cour and really nailed it out of the park in the 2nd. It actually had multiple leads who had honest character progression and growth. That's not only super rare in anime but writing in general. People go on about Ange's growth in Cross Ange but Leon had just as much character development if not more. The show did a fantastic job of initially establishing Leon's character and mindset, only to break it down and have him deal with the fallout. He is a completely different character at the end of episode 24 compared to the start.

It's not just Leon though, the writing as a whole does a great job of showing consequences. The city doesn't magically get repaired overnight and things such as the mecha Golden Garo are an organic development from the first cour. There are also a lot of story elements that work to establish the medieval setting so it doesn't feel like just another 'fantasy-lite' time period.

The production values definitely fluctuated however I feel like the budget was properly allocated to the scenes that mattered. The second cour as a whole, was much better animated than the first cour. I really didn't like the CGI armors initially but I've gotten used to them and I feel the show has justified their usage with the high speed camera tracking.
I feel like the show was surprisingly mature in a way that I didn't really expect from a tokusatsu show going in. It was definitely an uneven journey but the writing for the core characters was exceptionally strong.
Again it's not often when the lead character seriously attempts suicide, only to come back a much stronger individual at the end.
Absolutely criminal that it's not even selling 1000 copies per volume. Best show I've seen coming out of MAPPA.

Cornbread78

Yuki Yuna is a Hero Ep. 2-3

OK, the third Episode was "cute" to say the least. It's definately not dark and twisted like Madoka... so far... but you can alreasy see the makings of where it can go ary....

Looking for a good love story, maybe with some action included, "save the princess" types are Okay as well. Or a romantic comedy, just a different tone all together after Medoka. I might go back to this one later, just to check it out, but it's definately has a more "kiddie" tone to it.

The one screams at me is Eureka Seven ... but it's not on Crunchyroll. If you ever find the means to check that one out then I highly recommend it as it nails the whole romance/coming of age/action beats in a single package.

On the romantic comedy front there's Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. You just have to go in with the expectation that there will be absolutely 0 progress on the "romance" front but it's absolutely fantastic.

And after that there's a bunch of shows that are purely romances that I'd really hesitate to recommend to anyone. Kokoro Connect is a popular one that I did not care for in the slightest ... it may be up your alley though. I'm not the best one to recommend something on this front though as Kokoro is the only one I've sat through and watched through completion. I get the impression that most people (not so much here but overall) like it though.

Midonin

Unlimited Fafnir 12

The marriage of a military-style organization and magical girl-style weapons was an odd mismatch. The majority of the show really did focus a lot on the Basilisk and Tear - maybe later volumes cover more characters. Some weird tone things aside, I found it overall pretty average for one of these school battle shows. The dragons were played up as pretty threatening, and, I feel, did live up to their in-story status as natural disasters, moreso than in any other series like this one. CGI was a little wonky, though. The characters and archetypes, all fairly archetypical. Again, like Isuca, it's something I'll watch because I like the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom