• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I laughed quite a few times watching Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man.

Cromartie and Fumoffu are the funniest anime I've ever seen though.

School Rumble, especially the first season, used to get me a few times.

Narag

Yes! Precure 5 18
SFXOJGMl.png

Karen reminds me of Yukimura in the second season of Sengoku Basara in that she's got this engaging character arc going on whenever she's given focus and everyone else is mostly just there so far.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 497 - Hidden Leaf Story, The Perfect Day for a Wedding, Part 4: The Kazekage’s Wedding Gift
C6Mym_3WQAAKi_M.jpg:small
C6MzSaFXEAA9CFs.jpg:small

Gaara AU's have finally been realized, one step closer to getting our Gaara Flower Shop AU. And also our Gaara dancing AU.

I love how much thought is going into this NaruHina marriage.
C6Mw70qWMAAFhd-.jpg:small
C6Mw70sXQAAE8CH.jpg:small

White Album 2 1-3

Returning to this, this show feels somewhat similar to ReLIFE, in that in it you can see a director with skill and talent struggling to make his vision heard with a visual staff underneath him who are too mediocre to realize that vision. The character designs are bad, the backgrounds are strictly bland, and the photography has weak execution of good intentions. Still, the way the show frames characters against each other visually and handles its aural work shows a thoughtful mind at work, similar to how Masaomi Ando is currently handling Scum's Wish. From laying the groundwork in a out-of-focus background character in the first episode for a reveal in the second episode to letting a passing train connect the ending of the scene before the commercial break of the third episode with the beginning of the scene after the break, there are intelligent choices being made here on a basic directorial level. In that sense, this is kind of a less refined (and also less bleak) version of Scum's Wish, albeit it still contains more animation than Scum's Wish does.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.20
Looks like Rei is seeing the depression from the other side of the glass for once. That introspection on the train while watching Shinomada is proof of his personal growth. Good stuff.

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 3

Serious Twenty is some serious shit but I am interested to see what role these guys play what with how the new band of phantom thieves are muscling in on their turf.

Masamune-kun's Revenge Episode 6
C6M4m-zXMAU35Yl.jpg:small

Pool episode and now a beach episode, I was please. I also enjoyed having more of the cast around.
C6M2f2KWUAATfje.jpg:small
C6M2f2QXQAAQfbb.jpg:small

The episode kind of did like the rest of them, interesting premise and initial execution, then excitement and interest goes down after the halfway point. Sad as the pieces are there for it to be fun but it just cant ever deliver all the way. Did we really need the classical scare challenge thing?

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 4

Honestly finding this enjoyable so far. I think it should have been a spinoff project rather than some sort of eponymous third season of Milky Holmes though. Maybe it was and it's the western fandom that's confused it.

MARGINAL #4 the Animation Episode 6 – A Supernova Rival Born From a Mistake
C6M_F61WYAI9rdR.jpg:small

First Lagrange Point and now Unicorn Jr. Marginal#4 has no bad groups. REAL is an awesome song too.

The serious kissing was exciting, if only they had gone through with the indirect kiss.

Cornbread78

Chaika ep.4
This show is actually pretty legit. There was a good build up to the fight and the fight was very well done. The story is interesting enough to keep me going as well. Now Chaika, well, I will get over the speach, lol. I'm not too interested if they start getting into a love triangle situation with
Akari and Chaika since Tarun and Akari and not blood siblings

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 5
In this ep, Feathers played the role of Batman if Batman was a role meant for two young girls. None of the usual cast showed up either which is fine since it's not their show.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 9

As usual, this was a pretty bad episode. Not only was it all over the place tonally, but it was also rather paced atrociously. So much time ended up wasted on 'antics' in the first half of the episode that there wasn't really any work put in to get the pay-off at the end. This was also yet another scenario predicated on Akko being stupid, so that's painful as well.

There are also some very serious implications raised by the events of this episode which, frankly, beggar belief. Everyone reacts pretty calmly to some extremely bizarre and also deeply disturbing events.

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 9

Can we please lay off Akko starting problems because she's an idiot? I was starting to like her last episode, and then she commits one of the biggest magic sins possible. Twist was easy to see coming too. Antics were eh this time after last week's insanity.

Chaika ep.4

This show is actually pretty legit. There was a good build up to the fight and the fight was very well done. The story is interesting enough to keep me going as well. Now Chaika, well, I will get over the speach, lol. I'm not too interested if they start getting into a love triangle situation with
Akari and Chaika since Tarun and Akari and not blood siblings
The thing with Akari never gets serious, it's mostly just there for comedic effect when she goes off on sadistic perverted rants and Toru seems mostly annoyed by her if anything.

Another thing the anime doesn't explain is why
the dragoon decides to turn into a little girl.

That form is modeled after Dominica's little sister, Lucie, who was left in charge of the territory (their parents were dead) after her big sister went to fight the war. Things didn't go well while she was away and some of the local townpeople took advantage of her absence to seize their family's assets. Lucie resisted and was severely injured by an angry mob, which eventually lead to her death. Dominica found out when she got back and killed those responsible. She felt immense guilt about not being there to protect her sister, fell into depression, lost the will to live, and eventually succumbed to illness and died. The hologram in the courtyard is actually of Lucie in the LN/Manga

I always thought it was weird to omit/change that part of the backstory, but keep the character design in without any explanation. She definitely becomes one of the highlights of the series, though

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars The Movie

This happened right after episode 18 of the series, so Koharu was still alive then. Anyway, the core of this movie is Yume and Laura having a fight because reasons. It's kind of weak because Principal Evil was just trying to push the top two first years, which lead to Laura breaking their unit off to go with Mahiru, because of course they're the top 2. Principal Evil also just flat out lied and was willing to screw over Yume because he was in Principal Evil mode back then. And Laura suddenly became a dick because reasons? It wasn't very compelling. Which is the problem when you try to have a big movie after only 18 episodes. And the series handled a rift between them much better. Their reunion made them look more like lovers than partners. Though both is probably the correct answer. And the plot with the new fan and the legend was a snoozefest about just giving them special dresses. At least this iteration of Popcorn Dreaming was great.

Most of the good stuff came from things not directly attached to the main plot. Ako is the scene stealer like always, and I really would have preferred to follow more of her adventures. Koharu reminds me why I did kind of like her. As a supporting member, but she has her moments. Poo Mahiru got screwed over the most in this debacle. At least a couple scenes with her siblings to make up for it. All the girls really are gay for Tsubasa. Yuzu got free target practice with her water guns.

This also brings some interesting implications for later in the series. Laura and Mahiru eventually did team up, and they were effective. Moroboshi did have a good eye for them, but not that way. This would also be the first sign of Laura getting explicit favoritism, which popped occasionally later.

The real stars of this was S4 of course. They didn't have many scenes, but they're big performance was simply marvelous. An incredible intro, and the first appearance of all 4 doing Episode Solo. Technically I think this is also Yuzu and Tsubasa's first performance. Great stuff from them overall.

Not nearly as good as the original Aikatsu movie, but that was a culmination of literally years in the making, while this was basically a regular episode, but bigger. Hopefully the next movie has more impact now that we're been with the characters longer.

mAcOdIn

All I can remember about Brynhildr is that the show just ended all of a sudden..
All I remember was that lame scene where
the girl was trying to protect the guy, thinks she can't do it, screams she's "going to die for nothing," promptly melts to death, then someone else saves him.
. I laughed.

Sölf

The first 3 episodes were good. Then episode 4 happend and we suddenly got boobs and boob jokes and time travel and what the fuck.

kewlmyc

Tales of Zestiria 21

The calm before the storm. A nice fun episode before what I suppose will be a very dark ending. At this point we are so anime original though, that I can't predict anything. People who are
supposed to be dead are alive, Zavied uses his gun to shot, Alisha is present and will armatize, Sorey can purify dragons....

I found the dress-up part super funny. Sorey the model.

Also I really liked that they used the happy ending of the first season *Answer* with the scenes from that ending that seemed impossible for me at the time as the ending of this episode. Really really nice.

My only question is that since they are more or less sending un-blessed people fight malevalence creatures...I don't know how effective this huge group will be. The normins are really good news though.

Not watching, but answer me this: Zestiria game spoilers
Do they purify Eizen at all?

Cornbread78

The thing with Akari never gets serious, it's mostly just there for comedic effect when she goes off on sadistic perverted rants and Toru seems mostly annoyed by her if anything.

Another thing the anime doesn't explain is why
the dragoon decides to turn into a little girl.

That form is modeled after Dominica's little sister, Lucie, who was left in charge of the territory (their parents were dead) after her big sister went to fight the war. Things didn't go well while she was away and some of the local townpeople took advantage of her absence to seize their family's assets. Lucie resisted and was severely injured by an angry mob, which eventually lead to her death. Dominica found out when she got back and killed those responsible. She felt immense guilt about not being there to protect her sister, fell into depression, lost the will to live, and eventually succumbed to illness and died. The hologram in the courtyard is actually of Lucie in the LN/Manga

I always thought it was weird to omit/change that part of the backstory, but keep the character design in without any explanation. She definitely becomes one of the highlights of the series, though

Damn. They didn't go over any of that in the show, but it explains the circumstances past "she fell ill"

Only thing I remember about Brynhildr is when the guy and chick were in the hot springs and she was trying to get him to look at her, he gets pissed off, turns around and gets an eye full of vulva.

I'm not even sure how it ended, I just remember it was stupid.

Not watching, but answer me this: Zestiria game spoilers
Do they purify Eizen at all?
In the game?
He is killed. Becoming a dragon in the game's universe is a death sentence and the only way of freeing him is by killing him. No dragon gets purified ever in the game.

Sölf

Only thing I remember about Brynhildr is when the guy and chick were in the hot springs and she was trying to get him to look at her, he gets pissed off, turns around and gets an eye full of vulva.

I'm not even sure how it ended, I just remember it was stupid.

Yep. That's episode 4 when everything went downhill. I never finished the show.

Sölf

I just saw the Galko-chan OVA which I completely forgot was released in January. Man, how I missed those guys. <3
I doubt we will ever get a second season, eh? :(

Line_HTX

As meaningless and stupid Disney self-aggrandizement the Best Animation category is, even Shinkai believes it wasn't enough to get nominated because it wasn't a finished product he was proud of.

kewlmyc

In the game?
He is killed. Becoming a dragon in the game's universe is a death sentence and the only way of freeing him is by killing him. No dragon gets purified ever in the game.
I know that. I saw a screwshot of last weeks episode where Sorey said they were going to go purify Edna's brother.
Plus you mentioned that Sorey can purify dragons now, so I was asking if they actually purified Eizen this week in the anime and fully retconned him dying in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom