• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Blue Exorcist basically a totally by-the-numbers shounen? I watched the first dozen episodes or so and I'm not really feeling it, but the Kyoto Saga kinda looks neat. Should I stick with it, or go back to Twin Star Exorcist?

Suite Precure 9

C7QZgvnVoAAEgQ_.jpg
C7QZgvrU0AAJxhc.jpg

Kanade is feeling inferior to Hibiki, despite her other talents, and wants on the Hibiki train because she doesn't have a birther. And despite all that, she gets one, uses it, and then just fucking walks off the screen after initiating the kill. Magnificent.

Trio de Minor is really telling Siren how they feel, as BassDrum now gains more individuality, which also coincides when we find out his name for the first time.

Is Blue Exorcist basically a totally by-the-numbers shounen? I watched the first dozen episodes or so and I'm not really feeling it, but the Kyoto Saga kinda looks neat. Should I stick with it, or go back to Twin Star Exorcist?

Yes its another average Exorcist series from the same magazine. Kyoto Saga of BLue Exorcist feels like its missing the magic of BLue Exorcist s1.

Samurai Jack XCIII

Aku's new voice actor is doing a really good job and trying his best but man...he can't follow up Mako Iwamatsu.

Gotta say that this show uses letterboxing really, really well. It uses every visual trick it has in its repertoire really, really well. The fight scene in the dark was well...something else.

Also actually making good use of being grittier and darker without falling into the juvenile trap like everything else, and by everything else I mean Batman vs Superman

Narag

Samurai Jack S5 2

Ending was good since it was a Morricone/Leone love letter before transitioning into a nod to Conan the Barbarian.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess Your Name is hitting Canada April 7, both dubbed and subbed in alternating screenings. Going for the sub, although they dumped it at the 5pm time slot. Hopefully it means no one will be there. lol

God Tier Show continues to Be God Tier. I still can't believe I'm watching this show again. The visual creativity, the charisma of the characters and setting and the sound are just as good as they've always been. The only thing missing is Aku's old voice which is irreplaceable. Nevertheless, I eagerly await this wild ride's continuation.

Jintor

You should just watch the Blue Exorcist movie and leave it at that.

i'll back this up. inexplicably (well, a monocle here will probably tell me it's because of the staff), the blue exorcist movie is a cut above the series as a whole in any other medium.

One of the few anime i've watched that has an absolutely incredible sense of place.

Jex

Konosuba S2-10

I'm fucking blown back. I literally have my hands up in the air as I can't even think of recent shounen shit that had as strong a finale as this. Maybe Mob Psycho I guess. This actually reminded me of Gurren Lagann at this particular moment.

Not only was the action well animated [...]
Are you sure? I've been told otherwise:
the animations looked even worse and the jokes a bit too forceful, so i guessed they were doing what they said they would do when they received all that feedback by the fans to make the animations look worse and what not because that gave it a certain charm
Who to believe???

LordKano

Yo, I'm currently catching up the big animes of 2016 everyone was talking about, so far I watched Erased (cool), Re:Zero (meh), Kiznaivers (okay), Mob Psycho 100 (great) and Boku no Hero Academia (great too). What's left worth it ?
Not sure at all if it's the right thread to ask this.

Yo, I'm currently catching up the big animes of 2016 everyone was talking about, so far I watched Erased (cool), Re:Zero (meh), Kiznaivers (okay), Mob Psycho 100 (great) and Boku no Hero Academia (great too). What's left worth it ?

You can look up the "anime of the year" thread in OT.

Suite Precure 10

Even Siren falls victim to Ouji's charms. That and her just watching Hibiki act like a gorilla for 2 weeks got BassDrum fed up to the point that he just took over as the new leader. Watching them grow is rather appealing. Siren practically is lost in thought.

The Cure Muse subplot appears, and I believe this was when things started going downhill for the season. Since this is a rewatch, I wonder if I can be more proper on it since I'm not watching it through Heartcatch lens like the first time.

Sölf

Is anyone still watching Chain Chronicles? I only saw the first episode, but didn't continue. I thought it was good, but I just didn't have the time back then. Same for Onihei. Is it worth continueing them?

You are already watched My Hero Academia! Nothing else is worth it.
not joking

Haikyu
Gundam Iron blooded orphans
Konosuba
Tales of Zestiria
Poco's Udon World

Sölf;232355043 said:
Is anyone still watching Chain Chronicles? I only saw the first episode, but didn't continue. I thought it was good, but I just didn't have the time back then. Same for Onihei. Is it worth continueing them?

Chain Chronicle was great, but I had watched the movie version which finished two weeks ago. The friendship stuff as well as the great action made chain chronicle my second favorite anime this season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It honestly feels like a rejected script for Inuyasha and no that isn't a good thing.

blurr

Kong

Kids, trust Duckroll...
cautiously

Bad, out of tone humor and dialogue work(imagine Age of Ultron but worse). Monsters and monster fights are fine for most of the part but the sketchy setup and predictable encounters undercuts the experience to some extent.
The final monster is the same thing we've seen multiple times only larger, they explicitly mention that of course but I was really counting on something more than that for a final fight sequence.
Not a fan of that monster design in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom