• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really didn't have a problem with it. Considering who Konatsu's mother it makes sense to me that she might do something weird like that.
She didn't know her mom for long and at a very young age at that, as impressionable as kids are if she has spent the majority of her life with another person as her legal guardian she would likely be more like that person.

She didn't know her mom for long and at a very young age at that, as impressionable as kids are if she has spent the majority of her life with another person as her legal guardian she would likely be more like that person.

Nature vs nurture. I think as a kid she displayed enough fire and then contempt for Yakumo, that it could've transformed in real bizarre ways. So I might agree if she got along with Yakumo but she was actively pushing against him much of her life.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist Ep. 12/END
That was good closure for the season. Not sure if we'll ever see the rest of the show animated if what DTL posted is true, but the final 5-6 episodes redeemed the season.

Especially got a good laugh out of Shiori "friendzoning" Rin for life; good stuff.

Rakugo S2 - 12
*snip*

Dunno. Generally positive on a lot of stuff but the land mine in this episode does irreparable damage to earlier parts of the series and sort of just has me reflecting on how mundane the second half could be at times.

For instance they could've done so much more with Kontasu who always felt underdeveloped and underutilized to me. What really was there to her other than this weirldy strong fixation on the child and Sukeruko/Yakumo successor business, at which point we could once again point the finger at fujo-author-san. Her own interest in performing Rakugo always felt like a thing on the side. Because we didn't actually get some montage or proper flashback on how she developed while growing up under Yakumo I rarely got a good sense of who she really was supposed to be.

Like, the stuff we were shown now in this last episode? Kinda interesting, disregarding where they ended up going with that.

Now I almost must think of her as merely a sort of vessel to further the Kiku/Bon shenanigans.

My stance is that we truly have never seen all their lives, in a 40 year period we have seen barely but a drop in the ocean. Just minutes here and there, and biased at that as in some cases we don't know the internal mindset of some characters.
In between episodes there months and years that we never saw, we can imagine in one of those gaps there was
one crazy night stand initiated by her because of her secret infatuation that after the fact left Yakugo embarrassed and full of shame of what had happened. In fact we can think it was one of the factors that contributed to his guilty feelings.

It isn't like Bunny Drop where both decide to have a serious romantic relationship.

Personally I like the reciprocity in how there is a dark secret that Konatsu doesn't know and they won't tell to her (the true death of her parents) and at the same time she has a dark secret that his husband and son will never know.

It's true that we haven't seen every moment of their lives, but to introduce a last-minute twist that goes against everything we have seen from both characters in their interactions with each other and their general personalities is not a good move, even setting aside the unnecessary moral questions it opens up about the nature of their relationship.

Taruranto

I really didn't have a problem with it. Considering who Konatsu's mother it makes sense to me that she might do something weird like that.

The issue is way would Yakumo do anything like that. I don't have much issue with Konatsu (well, I actually do, just not as much) because Kiku is decently handsome and she was traumatized, I can see her developing some kind of of Electra complex.

But it doesn't make any sense for me that Yakumo would even consider. It really feels like post-mortem character assassination. Granted some people could argue maybe Yakumo didn't do it, but then why bring it up? In the very last episode?

DY3g3Vv.jpg

18P7dOu.jpg

Seriously, look at these faces.

What I learnt from this is that the series shouldn't have put that part at the end of Rakugo, if only because now it will pollute the talk of the series towards only that specific moment, despite being merely a foot note in the entire show.

Who cares who was the father. A random boyfriend should have been the answer. It didn't matter.
I think the author fall in to the trap of wanting to tie everything act and drama element and every character together a bit too much.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What I learnt from this is that the series shouldn't have put that part at the end of Rakugo, if only because now it will pollute the talk of the series towards only that specific moment, despite being merely a foot note in the entire show.

Who cares who was the father. A random boyfriend should have been the answer. It didn't matter.
I think the author fall in to the trap of wanting to tie everything act and drama element and every character together a bit too much.

I am going with Konatsu playing coy and indulging to fuck with Higuchi.

The issue is way would Yakumo do anything like that. I don't have much issue with Konatsu (well, I actually do, just not as much) because Kiku is decently handsome and she was traumatized, I can see her developing some kind of of Electra complex.

If they actually wanted to tackle this uncomfortable relationship business, which I think really should have no place in the greater story of all this to begin with, then they should've shown us how it could've come to that.

Sprinkling some nostalgic narration from Konatsu about how she actually grow up and who she really was in the god damned epilogue episode is ridiculous.

I can handle uncomfortable stuff like Koi Kaze when executed so well. But even then, I wouldn't have wanted that kind of Koi Kaze-esque drama in Shouwa Genroku Raku Shinjuu to begin with. It would feel terrible out of place to the overall narrative. The show would've never been a good place to explore this sort of messed up relationship.

Damn it, Rakugo seems like the show I'd recommend people to watch but skip the last episode and be better for it.

Since this is an adaptation we'll also have to put blame on the director and/or whoever else decided to include this.

jonjonaug

But it doesn't make any sense for me that Yakumo would even consider. It really feels like post-mortem character assassination. Granted some people could argue maybe Yakumo didn't do it, but then why bring it up? In the very last episode?

Seriously, look at these faces.

Higuchi's kind of a fanatical creep. It's the exact sort of theory he'd come up with. It's not something you have to take him seriously on. If you like weird/gross josei stuff and thought it would be cool great. If you think Yakumo would never do that, also great.

Rakugo's ending is bad? Shame. Guess I'll skip it.

No it's good.

Higuchi's kind of a fanatical creep. It's the exact sort of theory he'd come up with. It's not something you have to take him seriously on. If you like weird/gross josei stuff and thought it would be cool great. If you think Yakumo would never do that, also great.

Yeh and then Konatsu opens her mouth and, as she puts it, says too much.

edit:

In S1 e13 when Yakumo is at Sukeruko's grave he also says this: "Or are you angry, is that it? Over what I've done to your daughter..."

Quasar

Minami Cycling 12 - And we get a nice happy ending. Nice. Comfy. That's how I'd describe the show overall. gave it a 3 (out of 5) on kitsu.

Fuuka 12 - What a weird adaption.

Quasar

Gi(a)rlish Number - Episode 1:

Ok this series is fucking savage. If Shirobako is the anime about the trial and tribulations of following your passion, Girlish Number is all "Fuck that shit, let's make a Cash Grab."

Pretty much. Good show. Wish someone would translate the books.

Taruranto

I don't like weird/gross Josei stuff, but I'm also not sure how I can't take him seriously. You don't insert a scene like that, at the end of the series, just to "troll" the audience and insert speculations that weren't even needed. You do that to clear stuff up and tie the plot together.

Sterok

Youjo Senki 11

Rival mage puts up a good fight against Tanya, but she gets away without any permanent injuries, and I don't think he's coming back again, so still a loss. Plus most or all of her men made it. Show is not as dark as it could be. For someone who just wants to get a comfy desk job, she sure is eager to blow up retreating enemies after everyone has agreed to stop shooting each other for the moment.

Speaking of Smartphone App ONAs, someone made non-shitty versions of this so I should probably rewatch it.

Koyomimonogatari 01 - Koyomi Stone

Pigtails Hanekawa. That's all.

Koyomimonogatari 02 - Koyomi Flower

Staple Stable
1923556_f104624568345cadd0652446bd4f5afd.png

Still perfect.

Koyomimonogatari 03 - Koyomi Sand

Hachikuji becomes a shitposter.

Koyomimonogatari 04 - Koyomi Water

I am liking this way more the second time around. There should be more Kanbaru/Senjougahara interactions.

Koyomimonogatari 05 - Koyomi Wind

Nadeko is retroactively more interesting after Medusa. Too bad she is always overshadowed by the same person!

Koyomimonogatari 06 - Koyomi Tree

Owarimonogatari.jpg

Aki-at

Gi(a)rlish Number - Episode 1:

Ok this series is fucking savage. If Shirobako is the anime about the trial and tribulations of following your passion, Girlish Number is all "Fuck that shit, let's make a Cash Grab."

Absolutely loved this show last year, the surprise of the year. It's an amazing show and sort of interest to see what you think of it since you're watching it back to back with Shirobako :p

Yeh and then Konatsu opens her mouth and, as she puts it, says too much.

edit:

In S1 e13 when Yakumo is at Sukeruko's grave he also says this: "Or are you angry, is that it? Over what I've done to your daughter..."

At the time I interpreted that as raising Konatsu to be a disgruntled tomboy. (The next line he says is "Over what I've done to rakugo...") I guess it could have more sinister connotations now.

Fuuka 12 [END]

8eC0kbM.gif

Good. Fucking. Riddance.

The last few episodes of this show were offensively bad. Couldn't even get the satisfaction of
Truck-kun
. They couldn't even give me that. Fuck this show.

kewlmyc

Rakugo's ending is bad? Shame. Guess I'll skip it.

Did they just usagi drop rakugo

No, the ending is still good. They just decided to add a very odd sidenote to who Shin's real father is that doesn't fit either character's personalities that we've seen up until that point. It's 5 minutes at most in what is otherwise a very good finale.

But goddamn, those 5 minutes...

At the time I interpreted that as raising Konatsu to be a disgruntled tomboy. (The next line he says is "Over what I've done to rakugo...") I guess it could have more sinister connotations now.

That actually makes a lot of sense and makes me thing Yakumo really is the father. Excuse me while I vomit.

Voror

Given an interaction between Konatsu and the Mistress in the episode where Yota confronted the boss, I had doubts he was the father. I admit back when she mentioned not wanting the blood to die out the thought occurred to me she might have meant both lines since Kiku had no children.

Really I would have been fine with them just straight up dropping it as some mystery that didn't get answered and didn't matter. Yota is Shin's father. But still the thought is just sort of weird and also provides a different context to Kiku's interactions with Shin.

Other than that I thought it was a good ending though. I really wish we'd gotten to see some of Konatsu perform though.

Koyomimonogatari 07 - Koyomi Tea

Tsukihi? More like Tsukizzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Koyomimonogatari 08 - Koyomi Mountain

Local Ougi ruins everything

Koyomimonogatari 09 - Koyomi Torus

Agreed

Koyomimonogatari 10 - Koyomi Seed

lel Ononoki calls Araragi a manlet to his face

Koyomimonogatari 11 - Koyomi Nothing

If Kagenui actually wanted in on the Araragibowl literally everyone else would be dead.

Koyomimonogatari 12 - Koyomi Dead

ZOKU-OWARI NEVER

Its still fucked up how they slipped this at the end of this series of stories and haven't followed through on it yet, because its the only real promise of a major overarching storyline coming together for this show.

Koyomimono is pretty good, actually. Fairly unimportant until the last two episodes but right now they just feel like a cruel joke.

This reminds me, when do we figure when that final episode of Koyo happens and how it ties into everything? What are we waiting for?

Now that Kizu is done with I dunno. But they are also doing another 26 episodes of 3gatsu. RIP.

KraytarJ

Now that Kizu is done with I dunno. But they are also doing another 26 episodes of 3gatsu. RIP.
They're doing 26! More?! WTF shaft? Why take a huge break right before the end? It totally seemed like summer/fall would be the time but if 3gatsu is getting 26 more episodes it's going to be at least another year at this point.

I guess I still need to finish the last few chapters of Kizu and see the movies but still.

Absolutely loved this show last year, the surprise of the year. It's an amazing show and sort of interest to see what you think of it since you're watching it back to back with Shirobako :p

Is it bad that I'm actually enjoying it more? :p

It meshes so well with my sense of humor that I'm really enjoying it.

Cornbread78

They're doing 26! More?! WTF shaft? Why take a huge break right before the end? It totally seemed like summer/fall would be the time but if 3gatsu is getting 26 more episodes it's going to be at least another year at this point.
I guess I still need to finish the last few chapters of Kizu and see the movies but still.
Fortunately for you they just announced it at Anime Japan and it'll be airing in Summer.
Looking forward to whatever (anti)climax Nisio has in store after that bombshell at the end of Koyomi.
I did it again.
So Shaft will be doing 3gatsu, Fate Extra and Zoku Owari???

Excited for more 3-gatsu and monogatari (nobody posted an announcement here?), but I still want more Nisekoi adapted. I haven't been spoiled in the winner dammit and I want to see it finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom