• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan ep.17
4FMs5QX.gif

Oh come the fuck on with this shit. So they meet up against a super smart and athletic titan out of nowhere? Forget about "space magic" we now have "titan super-evolution"

Completely out of nowhere and on the prowl
I mean, spinning the soldier around like a yoyo was a bit much....

The Titan covered in armor and the 50 meter tall one with no skin didn't tip you off?

Cornbread78

you aint seen nothing yet with attack on titan :p

everything will be explained :p

Hopefully, that random as hell, lol.

The Titan covered in armor and the 50 meter tall one with no skin didn't tip you off?
The show is literally about a guy who transforms into a Titan like Ultraman. Did you really think he was the only one?!

Fair enough.

I think it was the super jump and yoyo move that got me, lol.

JulianImp

Gundam IBO S2 - #23
It's kind of annoying how the show keeps giving us overly optimistic hope spots before swerving the plot into *main character dies without realizing his/her dreams*. It worked the first couple times, but it's gotten old now.

At this point, the story looks like a collaboration between Lady Bernkastel and Junko Enoshima more than anything. I'd much rather have them avoid the awfully overdone set-up of hope spot that turns into pure despair moments later, if only because this show has already done it so much it's no longer a surprise, but rather "sasuga the whole cast triggering as many deathflags as they could in as little time as possible".

Gundam IBO S2 - #23
It's kind of annoying how the show keeps giving us overly optimistic hope spots before swerving the plot into *main character dies without realizing his/her dreams*. It worked the first couple times, but it's gotten old now.

At this point, the story looks like a collaboration between Lady Bernkastel and Junko Enoshima more than anything. I'd much rather have them avoid the awfully overdone set-up of hope spot that turns into pure despair moments later, if only because this show has already done it so much it's no longer a surprise, but rather "sasuga the whole cast triggering as many deathflags as they could in as little time as possible".

If you're falling for the hope spots that's on you since it's been incredibly obvious for a while that we're going towards a tragic ending

duckroll

I'm not seeing the optimistic hope spots on IBO at all. I just see week after week of a consistent tone showing that the characters are delusional extremists who are in too deep and their escalation of commitment blinds them to the fact that they should have folded a long time ago. I mean, it's like saying something like Boardwalk Empire is filled with "optimistic hope" before pulling the rug from under characters. I just don't think it is true of any audience member who pays attention.

I'm not seeing the optimistic hope spots on IBO at all. I just see week after week of a consistent tone showing that the characters are delusional extremists who are in too deep and their escalation of commitment blinds them to the fact that they should have folded a long time ago.
I mean I could see an arguement for the solution Orga found before he was killed being a hope spot. But as soon as he died that pretty much went to shit anyways. At best a few unimportant members and noncombat members will escape and live while most of the important members die

JulianImp

If you're falling for the hope spots that's on you since it's been incredibly obvious for a while that we're going towards a tragic ending

But I mean exactly that, the hope spots are so obviously not going to happen the whole process to make things look like they might work out is a complete waste of time. At least McGillis' fight in the latest episode was nice because it didn't rely on an overly optimistic hope spot before it all came crashing down for him, but even then it was pretty cringeworthy with stuff such as the Amiria scene. At least that final scene was actually okay, tough.

TL;DR: Hope spots are fine and all, but when it's so plainly obvious things won't turn out okay for our protagonists then it feels like piling them and death flags is an excersise in futility, and pretty much a waste of time IMO.

Edit: Like, we didn't need them to get the chance to go change their records on Earth from Makanai or Azee's proposal to smuggle them anywhere they wanted just as they were wondering how they were going to get to Earth, since we all knew they were going down to superior military, political and media powers than what they could ever hope to muster.

But I mean exactly that, the hope spots are so obviously not going to happen the whole process to make things look like they might work out is a complete waste of time. At least McGillis' fight in the latest episode was nice because it didn't rely on an overly optimistic hope spot before it all came crashing down for him, but even then it was pretty cringeworthy with stuff such as the Amiria scene. At least that final scene was actually okay, tough.

TL;DR: Hope spots are fine and all, but when it's so plainly obvious things won't turn out okay for our protagonists then it feels like piling hope spots and death flags is an excersise in futility, and pretty much a waste of time IMO.

I feel like the fact that it's an exercise in futility as Tekkadan struggles to try to get themselves out of a hopeless situation that they got themselves into is kind of the point

JulianImp

I feel like the fact that it's an exercise in futility as Tekkadan struggles to try to get themselves out of a hopeless situation that they got themselves into is kind of the point

Yeah, maybe that's the case, but the endless conga line of death flag-tripping scenes got old after a while. Giving us "I'll be back" promises and cuts to people wondering about how someone's doing just as they're a scene or two away from getting themselves killed feels like unnecessary clutter, and a cheap way to cash-in on the inevitable tragedy that's sure to follow, IMO.

Not even McGillis got to fail to realize his dreams without the mandatory Amiria "I still love and will wait for him" scene, which was completely unnecessary and didn't really help build their relationship. That had already happened in their confrontation several episodes ago, so getting some cheap "aww, she still loves him... too bad he's probably as good as dead now" scene was really vexing for me.

duckroll

Yeah, maybe that's the case, but the endless conga line of death flag-tripping scenes got old after a while. Giving us "I'll be back" promises and cuts to people wondering about how someone's doing just as they're a scene or two away from getting themselves killed feels like unnecessary clutter, and a cheap way to cash-in on the inevitable tragedy that's sure to follow, IMO.

I mean, you could see it as death flag tripping false hope or whatever. But I see it as showing how stupid and delusional these people are even as they walk to their doom. Like, knowing everyone wants you dead, that you've been branded public enemy no.1, and still wearing your company jackets proudly as you stroll into a public office you are known to frequent.... what did they think would happen?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

More to the point the improbable hope spot was kind of Tekkadan's gimmick in Season One and this is the staff taking great pains to completely dismantle it.

JulianImp

I mean, you could see it as death flag tripping false hope or whatever. But I see it as showing how stupid and delusional these people are even as they walk to their doom. Like, knowing everyone wants you dead, that you've been branded public enemy no.1, and still wearing your company jackets proudly as you stroll into a public office you are known to frequent.... what did they think would happen?

Yeah, makes sense that, like the Gallarhorn girl says, children have been used as unwitting pawns for the whole show. The futile struggle to win a losing battle that they got themselves into part is okay for me, but it's just a pain to have several minutes per episode being devoted to "oh, I wonder if X's doing okay..." just as we cut to X coughing up copious amounts of blood after being impaled with a giant spear, or how the final conversation among characters almost always ends with a promise of one of them going back or returning something to the other, which feels like a really cheap writing gimmick.

Hand Shakers Episode 9 – Finally Fairy
C7-MRLDW4AEN2Y3.jpg:small
C7-NhaaXgAQJDha.jpg:small

Figured the plot would go the way of Koyori being the vehicle to save Tazuna, he was really struggling there with his fever but then everything else through theryre losing bout with Aizawa Kodama.

Koyori was fantastic and I loved their leveled up gear skills.

Best Tazuna.
C7-NHDnXUAEL0WB.jpg:small

Defuser

I'm surprised Akihiro haven't kick the bucket yet. Dude has enough sufferring to see 5 people he cared all died.Put him out of his misery.

Cornbread78

Fantastic Children rp.7
This has to be time travel, right? A lot of history for the white haired kids, but how/what is still shrouded in mystery..

Planetes 4

The animation this episode was especially good. A lot of exaggerated motion and layouts. The character designs are fairly realistic and detailed, but they have enough flexibility to allow for a certain amount of cartoon-esque deformations. I have no idea how much of this show is taken directly from the manga and how much of it is original to the anime, but Goro Taniguchi seems to have a real love for sci-fi that awkwardly straddles the line between seriously thoughtful and off-kilter eccentric, down to his most recent works such as Active Raid.

JulianImp

Could it win two years in a row?

I don't really know about the AotY thread's rules and regulations, but personally nothing even comes close to Rakugo. Having watched so much anime so far, I'd say this show probably was so good for me exactly because it strayed from the typical character and plot tropes that scream "anime" and are so prevalent in the vast majority of shows.

JulianImp

I did enjoy Mob and JoJo a fair bit, but neither even came close to Rakugo S1 for me.

I was just saying though, since I don't even participate in GAF AotY ballots anyway.

JulianImp

I dispute your reality and insert my own.

Personally, I'm never all that interested in voting threads since they often amount to a popularity contest. There're few shows I'd actually recommend outside of the season they aired in (mostly as an "if you're watching seasonal stuff, you might as well watch it"), with many of them having certain parameters I try to gauge before I recommend them. For example, I won't be blindly telling anyone to watch Monogatari unless I know for sure that they can stomach its eccentricities (dialog focus and lots of ecchi), and knowing someone's preferences makes it way easier for me to recommend them a show rather than just pulling random titles out and hoping they end up liking those.

Personally, Rakugo's one of the few shows I've watched recently that I'd actually keep around as a general recommendation.

Cornbread78

I don't really know about the AotY thread's rules and regulations, but personally nothing even comes close to Rakugo. Having watched so much anime so far, I'd say this show probably was so good for me exactly because it strayed from the typical character and plot tropes that scream "anime" and are so prevalent in the vast majority of shows.

It's a popularity contest. It will get drowned out by OPM2. AoT2 might even top it...

Quasar

Personally, I'm never all that interested in voting threads since they often amount to a popularity contest. There're few shows I'd actually recommend outside of the season they aired in (mostly as an "if you're watching seasonal stuff, you might as well watch it"), with many of them having certain parameters I try to gauge before I recommend them. For example, I won't be blindly recommending Monogatari to anyone unless I know for sure that they can stomach its eccentricities (dialog focus and lots of ecchi), and knowing someone's preferences makes it way easier for me to recommend them a show rather than just pulling random titles out and hoping they end up liking those.

Like any media I'd not blindly recommend anything without knowing at least a little about their own tastes. Its why in response to 'recommend me stuff questions I always respond with 'well, what kinds of things do you like/dislike'.

Even the most LCD crowd pleasing fare I'd be wary of recommending blindly.

And given my alltime favourite animes include *monogatari, Spice and Wolf, Natsume' Book of Friends, Eccentric Family, Usagi Drop, Hyouka, Sound Euphonium, Macross (Plus and Frontier) and Nodame Cantabile (and now Rakugo) I'm not going to just dump that list on anyone wants to know about anime.

One Punch Man S2 will win this year, giving ONE the back-to-back-to-back threepeat.

ONE will get the hat-track the same way Gintama is always destined to hog up the MAL's Top 10 spots. lol

Speaking of, completed this season's Gintama. The serious arc's are pretty hit or miss, but this cour ended up adapting one of my least favorite ones. I love Kagura as a character, but I was never terribly interested in her family drama. Kamui has been one of my least favorite antagonists in the series so him taking the center stage for the second half just didn't do it for me.

Neither did the additional reveal of Gintoki's past and how Oboro further tied into it.

Quasar

I guess one question is..is the Attack on Titan enthusiasm over? On animeGAF I mean, I assume its still around out there in anime casual land.

Narag

I guess one question is..is the Attack on Titan enthusiasm over? On animeGAF I mean, I assume its still around out there in anime casual land.

It'll be like last time. We'll all watch it and we'll all bitch about it. We should probaby set up a dead pool for which ep has the most ADs though.

LWA 12

Why is the protagonist the least likeable character in her own show?

Main characters don't have to necessarily be likeable. They just have to be compelling, fleshed out and realistic, which I'd argue Akko is. The point of the series is her overcoming those character flaws.

Plus I like her, I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom