• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime Strike won't succeed or fail until a trial run anyways. Hopefully people don't cave and get it. It should be included in Prime and given to non-prime people as an option.

I remember some people being confused about the CR/Funi partnership last year because they didn't see Amazon and Netflix as serious threats in the anime market due to the relatively small number of anime they were licensing. Now that both services are steadily increasing the number of anime they're snapping up exclusivity for, the reasons for that partnership become ever more apparent.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. I was never sure in the past if Amazon was going to keep at it or eventually just drop anime, but I guess with them trying to extract $160 a year out of people they're planning to double down even harder in the market.

Amazon snatching a sequels rights is dumb and hopefully doesnt become a trend. Nothing worst then having a series separated across multiple service.

Clov

Amazon snatching a sequels rights is dumb and hopefully doesnt become a trend. Nothing worst then having a series separated across multiple service.

It's a bit uncommon, but it happens. Look at Mushishi for example; the first season has its streaming rights owned by Funimation, but the second season is handled by Aniplex (so you can find it on Crunchyroll). It's somewhat more common in home video releases.

I remember some people being confused about the CR/Funi partnership last year because they didn't see Amazon and Netflix as serious threats in the anime market due to the relatively small number of anime they were licensing. Now that both services are steadily increasing the number of anime they're snapping up exclusivity for, the reasons for that partnership become ever more apparent.

Not to mention when it comes to back-catalogs, Crunchyroll has to keep competing with Hulu there.

Narag

LVKMHyj.gif

AR is wrong too.

It's a bit uncommon, but it happens. Look at Mushishi for example; the first season has its streaming rights owned by Funimation, but the second season is handled by Aniplex (so you can find it on Crunchyroll). It's somewhat more common in home video releases.
I know it happens and sometimes it's not actually a bad thing since the second licensor more or less rescues the show(Fafner and Big Windup!) but in Bahamut case it was a fairy popular show for funimation no? That's bad and this is what I hate. It's useless seperation.

Love, Election and Chocolate ep.1-4
JVajPZf.jpg

Randomly started watching this during lunch today after seeing it for the 5,000th time on my PTW list.. It's pretty meh so far and there is no doubt that the childhood friend is going to absolutely get crushed like usual. It's pretty sad actually as she is one of the only normal characters in the show. The MC just wants fresh meat in the form of the other council leader of the abused freshie.. Some of the comedy is alright, some decent character development for the MC, but nothing has moved in regards to ships as of yet.

Well, $hit endings deserve to get scored like $hit....

God I remember this i actually enjoyed until they chose worst girl.

Fuck that. Let me buy them from TRSI.

Obviously they're making us wait because they're going to translate every single extra, give us the 100 page booklet from the Japanese release, and completely blow us away with the greatest western blu ray release for an anime ever, right?

^ WTF is wrong with her face?

Anyways ACCA 12.

I don't think I have any complaints about this show.

It's not amazing or anything I just don't see anything really wrong with it. Worst things I could possibly say are that everyone in this show is ageless and that maybe it wrapped up a little too well.

Show had real nice style as well, it was the only reason I gave it a chance at first.

I liked it, I guess it's my AOTS by process of elimination since rakugo missed the landing and fell into a spiked pit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam Wing on Hulu is clearly the DVD transfer.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam is also the DVD transfer on Crunchy, only with the aspect ratio botched.

1upsuper

Heya. Could I trouble you guys for some recommendations for great fantasy-themed anime? I'm talking more traditional, medieval-esque fantasy -- stuff like Dragon Quest -- but I'm not going to be a real stickler about it. I'm fine with any era of anime, old or new.

I watched the 1997 Berserk anime recently and I really enjoyed it. I watched Shin Sekai Yori and SAO a couple years ago which aren't traditional fantasy but lie in the same sorta ballpark. I thought they were OK, but not great.

What else is out there? I'd like something with a lively sense of adventure, but preferably not something with a billion episodes, so no long-running shonens. Bonus points if it has nice scenery and depictions of nature.

I'd really appreciate your input. Thank you.

Quasar

Amazon Strike needs to not exist. Fucking greedy low-lifes, Amazon US needs to be punished for this bullshit.

It makes sense to me, or at least it could. Just as their horror channel could. Just that at this point it lacks enough content to justify it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Heya. Could I trouble you guys for some recommendations for great fantasy-themed anime? I'm talking more traditional, medieval-esque fantasy -- stuff like Dragon Quest -- but I'm not going to be a real stickler about it. I'm fine with any era of anime, old or new.

I watched the 1997 Berserk anime recently and I really enjoyed it. I watched Shin Sekai Yori and SAO a couple years ago which aren't traditional fantasy but lie in the same sorta ballpark. I thought they were OK, but not great.

What else is out there? I'd like something with a lively sense of adventure, but preferably not something with a billion episodes, so no long-running shonens. Bonus points if it has nice scenery and depictions of nature.

SCRAPPED PRINCESS.

duckroll

Record of Lodoss War (both OVA and TV)
Garo the Animation (first season, not second)
Garo Divine Flame (movie sequel to the TV anime)
Rage of Bahamut Genesis (watch the first season to get ready for Virgin Soul!)
Scrapped Princess

Tales of Zestiria the X

It has a great cast, dragons, it's medieval themed and it's a huge adventure.

All of the my name is duck and I like to partys recommendations, but also consider thunderbolt fantasy. It's puppets and not western fantasy, but it's very much a dungeons and dragon adventure show and its amazing

Narag

Record of Lodoss War OVA
Spice & Wolf
Rokka no Yuusha
Garo
maybe Rage of Bahamut
also Mushishi for the scenery/nature although it's not sword & sorcery stuff.

Aki-at

You're Under Arrest OVA - 2

When everyone talks about 90s anime is better than anything now they must keep referring to this series! Really enjoying how well made and animated this has been so far. Shame Natsumi didn't get more screentime on her bike like last minute but still throughly enjoyed this.

Tiger Mask W - 14

t6gLYKt.png

Well I wasn't expecting her to have that under her clothes

After the last match this one was a more comedic and relaxing episode, didn't think Naoto would set his sights on the nurse though.

The more I watch this series the more I'm amazed it isn't more popular, well I did my part by getting 2 of my friends into it at least.

Hamst3r

Things I've watched lately that were pretty good:

Things I've watched lately that were the opposite of pretty good:

• Magistrate of Darkness: Judge
  • Scoopers
  • Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

I'm pretty sure every anime Amazon has is in the Anime Strike additional pay service in the US, aside from Ronja the Robber's Daughter since that's being marketed at a general children's audience.

I dont understand your statement, for example Battery the Animation is not anime strike exclusive. (battery is free for anyone with prime video), Kabaneri as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
jS4WFms.jpg

Haha, what? This is "crossing a line"? What about all those other lines, Akko, like, I dunno, THEFT OF PRICELESS MAGICAL ARTIFACTS?

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 15
Basically Yui's a lazy fuck and ruins everything once again. Also it's kind crazy that all 3 EDs were better than their corresponding OPs considering that almost never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom