• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still holding out that the reception here for SAO II will be improved over the first season.

That is to say, none of you are probably going to like it, but hopefully no one's going to see it as a blight against mankind this time around.

What do you think the odds are of the Alicization arc getting adapted? It seems like a logical next step if SAO II performs well, and more esoteric/pretentious plots have been turned into anime before, but it honestly reads like something that would be difficult to adapt on the whole(though some stretches are easy phone-ins).

Whoa, that's quite the claim there. Also didn't know we had so many SNAFU fans. Will check it out when I get home.

SNAFU has less (useless)meat and more snark. It's pretty good.

Jex

First pictures of Omoide no Marnie, the new Studio Ghibli film (Courtesy of Catsuka):

BlS7TpoCUAIMf1V.jpg

Looks fairly average. The character designs look a bit more realistic compared to something like Arrietty. Not much else to say.

Looks like anime.

Articalys

What do you think the odds are of the Alicization arc getting adapted? It seems like a logical next step if SAO II performs well, and more esoteric/pretentious plots have been turned into anime before, but it honestly reads like something that would be difficult to adapt on the whole(though some stretches are easy phone-ins).
I haven't actually started reading the arc yet, since I kept waiting to see if it was going to end soon -- it's what, six volumes+ now? -- so I don't really know anything about its structure or how easily it can be adapted into anime cours.
Still would rather they make a Mother's Rosario OVA or something first though either way, especially since Yuuki is making a cameo in the Vita game.
Looks like anime.
More like "looks like Ghibli" if you ask me, which is good enough. Will wait for the first trailer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Code Geass is the best anime Sunrise has ever produced. It being on "the list" pretty much destroys all the credibility of said list. The fact its grouped with trash like School Days and Arjuna is disgusting.

Eusis

Looks like anime.
Most things do in this thread.

Although this does look kind of like an older visual style, like 70s or 80s, filtered through modern animation, which is always nice to see versus trying to fully conform with whatever's current.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Most things do in this thread.

Although this does look kind of like an older visual style, like 70s or 80s, filtered through modern animation, which is always nice to see versus trying to fully conform with whatever's current.
It's pretty much textbook Ghibli character design.

cajunator

Banned
Code Geass is the best anime Sunrise has ever produced. It being on "the list" pretty much destroys all the credibility of said list. The fact its grouped with trash like School Days and Arjuna is disgusting.

The list is both terrible and great. Its not really intended as standalone and more of a collective.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
People with no self-awareness petitioning a developer to make a game that would sell twelve copies vs. a laughably ignorant toolbag "expert" on how moe killed anime is the debate the KLK thread deserves.

Eusis

It's pretty much textbook Ghibli character design.
Oh, definitely, though it does look a bit different from before. Probably those more modern touches.
People with no self-awareness petitioning a developer to make a game that would sell twelve copies vs. a laughably ignorant toolbag "expert" on how moe killed anime is the debate the KLK thread deserves.
He went into more depth in the KLK thread, like I said Twitter isn't really the best place for explaining your opinion.

And I do agree with others that it'd probably be better to get Imaishi/Trigger on board for creating the scenario for an ORIGINAL game rather than just adapting KLK.

Code Geass R1 is legit amazing. It's second season though is a huge mess. A fun enjoyable mess, don't get me wrong, but come on now.

JoeFu

Banned
I wish And Yet the Town Moves was in HD :( Why did they only release the DVD here?

Oh well first episode was enjoyable and the SHAFT was strong, I really don't like watching SD stuff though :(

Midonin

Fairy Tail The Movie + Prologue OVA

Exactly what I'd expect from a Fairy Tail movie. A save the girl, save the world story with a little bit of fanservice (of all kinds) and a slightly higher budget. Anime's freedom with cultural blending was on display in full force, with the vaguely middle Eastern setting, yet the girl central to the plot being named Eclair. A little slow in the first few minutes, but it held my interest to the end. Opening wasn't bad, and the ending was a lot slower paced than I would expect for a Fairy Tail song, or an Aya Hirano song in general. A lot of the plot twists were expected - including the underling of the supposed final boss usurping his power, and Eclair having amnesia felt all too familiar, but Fairy Tail's strength is in its characters. Everyone got their little moment. Perfectly middle of the road, but I wouldn't call it a bad use of time either. Watching the prologue afterward was a good choice. Nicely accentuated what was going on in the movie.

Next up on my backlog, a series so rare it took years to complete and the last half of it was never released on DVD in its own domestic market. I'm finally going to conquer Love Getchu.

You know someone PM'd me asking me to watch School Days because they wanted to see my reaction to the anime.

The scary thing is....... I am actually considering it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As if we couldn't predict that they'd eventually be at each other's throats.

... Well, I guess seeing that result is a spoiler in and of itself, but sometimes things are better out of context.
Eh, the show is 8 years old, but whatever, the point here is to show how #ROLO Geass is.

cajunator

Banned

I dont give a shit about making an anime game, my issue was simply him making a blanket statement about twenty years of an industry based on the way things used to be.

You know someone PM'd me asking me to watch School Days because they wanted to see my reaction to the anime.

The scary thing is....... I am actually considering it.

I recommended it to you because you seem to like high-school romance stories and School Days one that...certainly goes places.

I'm not going to say anything else about it. You have to see it to believe it.

Eusis

Eh, the show is 8 years old, but whatever, the point here is to show how #ROLO Geass is.
Oh, I wasn't particularly serious there, at most that was a "this is a spoiler for how absurd the show gets", and that isn't a surprise either after you watch the first several episodes. I think it's legitimately more entertaining for comic value than anything else.

cajunator

Banned
I wish And Yet the Town Moves was in HD :( Why did they only release the DVD here?

Oh well first episode was enjoyable and the SHAFT was strong, I really don't like watching SD stuff though :(

I feel that way about a lot of shows. At least some recent artistic beauties like Tsuritama and Jinrui are in HD. I like the way it makes colors "pop".

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I recommended it to you because you seem to like high-school romance stories and School Days one that...certainly goes places.

I'm not going to say anything else about it. You have to see it to believe it.
Don't sell School Days like that. Also, don't be the guy who still thinks head puns are funny.

School Days is a tragedy in which we learn the true consequences of behaving like an anime harem protagonist much like how Macbeth learned where ignorance of gynecology leads you.

I haven't actually started reading the arc yet, since I kept waiting to see if it was going to end soon -- it's what, six volumes+ now? -- so I don't really know anything about its structure or how easily it can be adapted into anime cours.
Still would rather they make a Mother's Rosario OVA or something first though either way, especially since Yuuki is making a cameo in the Vita game.

Ah yeah, some sort of Mother's Rosario adaptation is definitely a lock first.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of that arc, but there's no reason for it not to happen for fans at this point.

Alicization is really ambitious as a premise... from scope to pacing to stakes. Then (IMO) it devolves back into The Usual(tm), although some elements are still fairly grand.

Speaking of lists, is there a list somewhere of how many series Pizza Hut has worked with for promotions? I'd ask the same of Lawson, but I'm pretty sure the answer in the latter case would be "almost everything".
I wish there was a Strike Witches one, but I guess even Pizza Hut thought it was absurd for the company to exist years prior even if it's a pseudo-WWII setting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, I wasn't particularly serious there, at most that was a "this is a spoiler for how absurd the show gets", and that isn't a surprise either after you watch the first several episodes. I think it's legitimately more entertaining for comic value than anything else.

Plot continuity and coherency simply stop mattering in S2. You can divulge information, but can you truly spoil much?

Gbraga

I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS SHIT!

Thank you, bookmarked.

EDIT: Code Geass was fucking amazing and was constantly blowing my mind, I was super hyped, until THAT EPISODE came.

It then taught me that I shouldn't be taking it seriously, it was preparing me for R2.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I dont give a shit about making an anime game, my issue was simply him making a blanket statement about twenty years of an industry based on the way things used to be.

I wasn't referring to anyone who just went in there to rag on the guy after they saw his stupid statements, just the people who pestered him into the initial outburst to begin with because of some pie-in-the-sky game fantasy.

Eusis

Plot continuity and coherency simply stop mattering in S2. You can divulge information, but can you truly spoil much?
Heh, I didn't even get that far due to Adult Swim scheduling shenanigans. I'm guessing Toonami left that behind them, or so I'd hope.
EDIT: Code Geass was fucking amazing and was constantly blowing my mind, I was super hyped, until THAT EPISODE came.

It then taught me that I shouldn't be taking it seriously, it was preparing me for R2.
I took that approach earlier on (unless you mean another episode), I can't recall when exactly but either it was when you had the guy screaming about oranges post-Geass or
when the mind control came back from the dead the next episode clapping maniacally.
The show at its most coherent was still hammy as hell, best to enjoy it for that and general absurdity.

Gbraga

I took that approach earlier on (unless you mean another episode), I can't recall when exactly but either it was when you had the guy screaming about oranges post-Geass or
when the mind control came back from the dead the next episode clapping maniacally.
The show at its most coherent was still hammy as hell, best to enjoy it for that and general absurdity.

I think the ending is really worth it though. It also helps if you don't rewatch it or think about it too much, haha.

Eusis

I think the ending is really worth it though. It also helps if you don't rewatch it or think about it too much, haha.
I spoiled myself on that. I guess I'll get to the series eventually though knowing how things turn out rather than completely random shit happening would ruin this more than most series since the thrill really is in being surprised by whatever the fuck they'll do next.

Then again there's still SEEING how ridiculous it gets.
I know about the Euphinator and still was surprised by some of those .gifs.

Soul Eater Not 2
Anya is extremely cute. I'm not particularly a fan of tsunderes but she makes it work very well. Probably the only thing that makes this show worth watching

Are there any shows similar to SAO that don't drop off so severely after 1 arc?
Log Horizon if you are into the gaming part

Gbraga

I spoiled myself on that. I guess I'll get to the series eventually though knowing how things turn out rather than completely random shit happening would ruin this more than most series since the thrill really is in being surprised by whatever the fuck they'll do next.

Then again there's still SEEING how ridiculous it gets.
I know about the Euphinator and still was surprised by some of those .gifs.

THAT was my moment. There were some stupid moments before, but I could just go like "yeah, anime", but this? Nope, nope, nope, NOPE.

Fuck off.

cajunator

Banned
I wasn't referring to anyone who just went in there to rag on the guy after they saw his stupid statements, just the people who pestered him into the initial outburst to begin with because of some pie-in-the-sky game fantasy.

I definitely wasnt the one asking about a klk game so I just kind of poked my nose in the argument.

My goodness, such vulgarity! He is right, though, both sides are at fault here.

Fuck shit ass sword art online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom