• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipeOut HD - new screens (wow!)

Mr Jared

So is this just Wipeout: Pure but with nice graphics? Almost every track in those screens look just like those in the PSP game.

alkaline black said:
So is this just Wipeout: Pure but with nice graphics? Almost every track in those screens look just like those in the PSP game.

6 from Pure and 2 from Pulse. They'll be adding additional tracks including original ones later on.

71hhno7.jpg

Holy crap

lynux3

alkaline black said:

WipEout Pure and Pulse with nice graphics, more features, and possibly better gameplay(?).

LJ11

Looks great.

I'm curious about the price point. Personally, I'm in at any price below $40, however I don't think the entry point will be lower than $30.

Majmun

SolidSnakex said:
Neither of them have a release date other than early 2008. So the cards could make it out before this releases.

Man those cards can't come soon enough. I'm going to spend some mad money on those cards.

I'm hoping for a january '08 release for Europe.

blackadde

something about the visual design seems off to me, i always felt that the ultra-modern clean aesthetic (think zone circuits) fit wipeout better than some of the grittier shots here. either way, it probably looks completely different in motion.

looking forward to it!

Second said:
Man those cards can't come soon enough. I'm going to spend some mad money on those cards.

I'm hoping for a january '08 release for Europe.

I was just looking at a site that has a preview of the UK OPM for January and they're saying May/June for the release.

wipeouthd.jpg

And here I was trolling WipeOut HD for not being a freebie.
I wish I had the magazine with the super old WipeOut 3 adverts, it was a picture of London with a huge track over it (marketing slogan stop the track!) and it looks in league with these shots. Oh how far this series has come.

edit. Just noticed the rogue geometry peeking through the clouds on the left.

ghibli99

Good stuff. It only takes a passing glance at WO1 to see just how far this game has come. XL and Pure were my favorites, and I look foward to playing this one, too.

Majmun

SolidSnakex said:
I was just looking at a site that has a preview of the UK OPM for January and they're saying May/June for the release.

Just in time for my birthday!

I'm going to borrow my dad's cred card then. No way I'm waiting 'til may/june for this game...

yurinka

OMFG!!!
I can't believe my eyes!!!
Unbelievable!!!
Go for broke!!!
I'd pay 60€ for this(with more tracks, of course)!!!

Nooo! Next thursday, please!
_116076_girls_scream_for_william.jpg

dalin80

Banned
looking forward to this, seems to have come on leaps and bounds of late.

uncharted seemed to do something similar, the first few shots we saw weren't too impressive but it worked out 'ok' in the end

June? Nooooo.

That pretty much makes the 'real' Wipeout a 2009/2010 game. As long as Wipeout HD has good online I can be patient, though.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Lame. Wasn't the next real Wipeout supposed to be out late 2008?

I don't know if it ever had a release date. But the delay could be due to them adding back in the things they said they were going to remove when it was still due for release this year.

Here's what the new feature set was as of a few months ago.

Features:

PS3 - Get ready to experience WipEout in full-HD 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second on PS3, exclusively available for download from the PlayStation Store. Greater processing power of PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in WipEout HD, heightening the speed within the stunningly beautiful tracks and environments.

SIXAXIS wireless controller - WipEout HD provides full support of the SIXAXIS wireless controller to give the player a variety of choices and depth of control unseen in any previous iteration of WipEout.

Tracks - A selection of the best tracks taken from previous WipEout titles, meticulously crafted and fully reworked from the ground-up to showcase the full-HD resolution. Tracks include the new Mag-Strips feature, which causes ships to be temporarily locked to the track surface, allowing greater variety and dynamism in track design and introducing track features such as loops, vertical drops and 90-degree angled sections.

Teams - WipEout HD features eight teams from WipEout Pulse, including: Feisar, Assegai, AG-Systems, Qirex, Piranha, Triakis, Goteki45 and EG-X.

Five Race Modes - WipEout HD features five race modes, including: Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap and Zone Mode.

Race Campaign - The Race Campaign feature contains many unique predefined race events to give an all new sense of progression for the player.

Difficulty Levels - WipEout HD offers three difficulty levels; adjustable independent of speed class.

Online Multiplayer - Up to eight players will be able to compete against each other in a range of online races, across several game modes.

Additional Content via Download - Extra game content will be made available to download and plug directly into the main game, including extra teams and ships, extra tracks and additional events for the race campaign mode.

Music - WipEout HD features nine fully-licensed music tracks, remixed in 5.1 surround sound.

This is the original feature set.

Features:

PS3 - Get ready to experience Wipeout in full-HD 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second on PLAYSTATION 3, exclusively available for download from the PlayStation Store. Greater processing power of PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in Wipeout HD, heightening the speed within the stunningly beautiful tracks and environments.

SIXAXIS wireless controller - Wipeout HD provides full support of the SIXAXIS wireless controller to give the player a variety of choices and depth of control unseen in any previous iteration of Wipeout.

Tracks - A selection of the best tracks taken from previous Wipeout titles, meticulously crafted and fully reworked from the ground-up to showcase the full-HD resolution. Tracks include the new Mag-Strips feature, which causes ships to be temporarily locked to the track surface, allowing greater variety and dynamism in track design and introducing track features such as loops, vertical drops and 90 degree angled sections.

Teams - Wipeout HD features eight teams from Wipeout Pulse, including: Feisar, Assegai, AG-Systems, Qirex, Piranha, Triakis, Goteki45 and EG-X.

Seven Race Modes - Wipeout HD features seven race modes, including: Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap, Zone Mode, Elimination and Head-2-Head.

Race Campaign - Wipeout HD features the Race Campaign, which contains many unique predefined race events to give an all new sense of progression for the player.

Race Rules Customization - Wipeout HD features full customization of race rules, allowing the player to tailor their own race experience.

AI Pack Racing - Wipeout HD introduces Artificial Intelligence AI) pack racing to keep players under pressure and on their toes.

Weapons System - Wipeout HD introduces a refined weapons system, including the three new weapons: The Repulser, Shuriken and Leach Beam.

Difficulty Levels - Wipeout HD features three difficulty levels; adjustable independent of speed class.

Photo-Mode - The Photo-mode feature allows players to be able to 'pause' the game both during a race and during the post race parade lap and take a snapshot which they can then save to their PS3 HDD. These Photos can then be uploaded to the Wipeout HD website and traded between players. Players will be able to create full AI races that they can then view from a variety of different camera angles and take screenshots in this Spectator mode.

Online Multiplayer - Up to eight players will be able to compete against each other in a range of online races, across several game modes:
--Single Race
--Tournament
--Elimination
--Team vs. Team (Two-player team based multiplayer races)

Player Profile and Community Website - Website TBA
Each player will have an extensive game profile that charts their progress and records for all the usual record lap times for races and fastest laps as well as statistics concerning weapons use, ship selections, favorite modes and most played tracks.

Players will be able to connect to the main Wipeout HD website from within the game and receive updates and information, such as records, stats and tips. In addition players can upload their own profile for mass collation of all profile data, allowing the creation of world tables for all statistical data. Find out who is the fastest player in the world on 'Vineta K'; or find out which player in the world has raced the most races in a 'Feisar' ship.

Additional Content via Download - Extra game content will be made available to download and plug directly into the main game. This will include extra teams and ships, extra tracks and additional events for the race campaign mode.

Music - Wipeout HD features nine fully-licensed music tracks, remixed in 5.1.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200373

So if we get all that original stuff due to the May/June release it seems like it'd be worth it.

SolidSnakex said:
I don't know if it ever had a release date. But the delay could be due to them adding back in the things they said they were going to remove when it was still due for release this year.

This is the original feature set.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200373

So if we get all that original stuff due to the May/June release it seems like it'd be worth it.

What it really needs is leagues. Wipeout with leagues = sex.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That pretty much makes the 'real' Wipeout a 2009/2010 game.
I don't know about that. They've finished Pulse and F1 is gone.

I've been a strong believer that the delay to WO:HD meant the gap between it and WO:5 was getting smaller, but then again Phil could prove me wrong and announce they're working on something other than WipeOut as well.

Hitting 1080p @ 60fps, with decent online infrastructure is the real challenge. I can't see why they wouldn't have everything else ready to go when they hit it with WO:HD

Those screens look awesome. I hope I'll like the game. I tried the first wipeout on PSN and I can't control those racers for the life of me. Are wipeout games just difficult in general?

meppi

Game looks amazing! This or the upcoming retail WipEout game would definitely be the system seller for me if I ever get a PS3.

Visualante said:
I wish I had the magazine with the super old WipeOut 3 adverts, it was a picture of London with a huge track over it (marketing slogan stop the track!) and it looks in league with these shots. Oh how far this series has come.
wipeout.ad.jpg

It was actually a WipEout Fusion ad. If I knew in which magazines the ad was printed at the time, I could scan it at a much higher quality, since I have loads of classic videogame magazines.
If for some reason I don't have one of those issues, I can always ask a friend to scan it in (he has lots of US mags, I have UK ones), so let me know. ;)

GAZERK said:
Those screens look awesome. I hope I'll like the game. I tried the first wipeout on PSN and I can't control those racers for the life of me. Are wipeout games just difficult in general?
You need to learn the air brakes (shoulder pads) to get really good.
meppi said:
http://rapidshare.com/files/79258373/wipeout.ad.jpg[IMG]

It was actually a WipEout Fusion ad. If I knew in which magazines the ad was printed at the time, I could scan it at a much higher quality, since I have loads of classic videogame magazines.[/QUOTE]
<3 I don't remember tbh, thanks though.

Jim

SolidSnakex said:

Since I posted that though, SCEA made it seem like a lot of those other features could still be included at launch... but sorta declined to actually elaborate (on that or a solid release date).

Firewire said:
What exactly do you mean by leagues? You've tickled my curiosity!

Have online groups that people can join where an admin can define championships comprised of different events and you compete your way through them, earning points which ultimately decide an overall champion.

Kind of like the XSN functionality for Links 2004, but for racing.

Chris_C

I have to sort of wonder about the next real Wipeout, I assume we won't be seeing it for at least two years. At least I kinda hope so. I feel Wipeout doesn't really need to look much better than this (though I know it can). Feels like they could just keep adding new tracks and modes and stuff to this really.

Top Bottom