• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

xrnzaaas

I've tried multiplayer for the first time since buying the game (I'm a SP guy) and it's allright, but the quitters are annoying. The game should penalize that somehow. And I'm not talking about slow players that probably jumped in as soon as they bought the game. Like I was going against a good lvl 17 racer. We had a 5 race championship, I won 2, he won 2, in the final race I got a pretty comfortable lead and he decided to quit. ;p

TP-DK

Got the Beat Zico 2048 trophy. Took me 47 laps to get it, which was a lot less than I feared I would have to go through.

Shin-Ra

Down to my last three (Zone) events in 2050 for the Elite Pass.

Subway’s the track I’m actually most comfortable with out of the three but once you start scraping, it’s scrape, scrape, scrape! Especially the narrow left turn or translucent track twist just after the start.

Good Lord the A+ challenges in 2048 are rough. After breezing through the campaigns getting Elite passes on most events I thought "no problem" but I can barely keep up with the pack, let alone pass them. Not only is the speed borderline crazy but the AI is spot on. I'm trying to figure out what would be the easiest track to finally pass to get the trophy, but I'm striking out on all of them. Any suggestion on a preferred track?

Did manage to get the 10 laps in Detonator without firing trophy, which was much harder than I thought it would be. Finished the last lap with 1 HP. Kind of makes up for crashing on zone 74 of the Sol zone event where 75 was Elite pass...

Shin-Ra

The Sol A+ Challenge isn't too bad as long as you don't make too many mistakes on the last few laps and take the middle/end shortcuts.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Good Lord the A+ challenges in 2048 are rough. After breezing through the campaigns getting Elite passes on most events I thought "no problem" but I can barely keep up with the pack, let alone pass them. Not only is the speed borderline crazy but the AI is spot on. I'm trying to figure out what would be the easiest track to finally pass to get the trophy, but I'm striking out on all of them. Any suggestion on a preferred track?

Did manage to get the 10 laps in Detonator without firing trophy, which was much harder than I thought it would be. Finished the last lap with 1 HP. Kind of makes up for crashing on zone 74 of the Sol zone event where 75 was Elite pass...

I'd say Sol A+ is the easiest.

You basically just choose either Feisar Speed or Quirex Speed. Then just take the shortcuts and barrel roll when appropriate. If you don't make mistakes you will get 1st place. For the first big turn where you go high into the air I prefer to take the right path so you stay on the track. Its slower but safer.

When you are near enemy AI ships they might attack and send you into last place. But you don't have to be in 1st place until 8th lap or so for victory to be viable so don't necessarily restart the race just cuz the AI might decide to missile you.

xrnzaaas

For the first big turn where you go high into the air I prefer to take the right path so you stay on the track. Its slower but safer.

Yep, same here. I always chose the safer right path when I was doing the Sol A+ event. Too many things can go wrong with the left one with that kind of speeds. ;) As for the ship I've won with Feisar, because I need better handling.

Wiped89

I'd say Sol A+ is the easiest.

You basically just choose either Feisar Speed or Quirex Speed. Then just take the shortcuts and barrel roll when appropriate. If you don't make mistakes you will get 1st place. For the first big turn where you go high into the air I prefer to take the right path so you stay on the track. Its slower but safer.

When you are near enemy AI ships they might attack and send you into last place. But you don't have to be in 1st place until 8th lap or so for victory to be viable so don't necessarily restart the race just cuz the AI might decide to missile you.

Don't use speed ships. Use Agility ships. The AI will use agility ships too which means the top speed of the race overall will be lower and you'll have better handling.

When I got 1st place in an agility ship, my time was over a second slower than when I got 5th in a Feisar Speed.

Talisker

This is the best WipeOut has ever been. I last played it on PS1 and the Game to this date feels like the tightest Future Racer around. Gotta jump online at some point. If you wanna race: PSN ID is "Gaggalar" . Will also add it to the list. :)

Random question, what's your favorite ship computer voice? Mine is clearly AG Systems' Pseudo-French Robot lady in 2048.

kromeo

This is the best WipeOut has ever been. I last played it on PS1 and the Game to this date feels like the tightest Future Racer around. Gotta jump online at some point. If you wanna race: PSN ID is "Gaggalar" . Will also add it to the list. :)

Random question, what's your favorite ship computer voice? Mine is clearly AG Systems' Pseudo-French Robot lady in 2048.

I like the voice when you choose a ship in 2048 but yes, AG systems has the best in race one

Thanks for the Sol suggestion for the A+ challenge. Took me about 5 times/restarts but I got it with the AG Systems speed ship. I was able to keep up pretty well but would always get nailed with missiles or rockets, especially after dropping down from the last shortcut. When I finally got it I was about a ship-length behind 1st place going into the final turn and was able to overtake him on the shortcut. White knuckle for sure.

At first I thought y'all were being sarcastic, I was like "wtf there aren't even walls?"

Nerdkiller

Membeur
This is the best WipeOut has ever been.
Wrong spelling for franchise. Error...ERROR!

1235359.gif

Shin-Ra

As u know im pro tip: Don't use the AG Systems Prototype ship in Zone, thinking it survives more knocks than the AGS Agility based on the stats. It doesn't!

Down to the last Zico trophies and level 50/last prototype unlock trophies now.

Vally

Yep, AG Systems' voice is the best one

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Don't use speed ships. Use Agility ships. The AI will use agility ships too which means the top speed of the race overall will be lower and you'll have better handling.

When I got 1st place in an agility ship, my time was over a second slower than when I got 5th in a Feisar Speed.

You don't need better handling if you're already mlg pro.

Sol really is my favorite track.
Made it to zone 139 on Sol earlier today.
I'm now working on a good leaderboard rank for the A+ challenge, but there is always at least one mistake that costs me a few secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMEOSOx6E8

But 1st place is almost 20 seconds faster. I have no idea where I could shave of another almost 2 seconds per lap.
Its a shame they game doesn't list the individual lap times after a race.

My Beat Zico HD https://youtu.be/VE1SvMHcfuY
Nothing special, shaved the time necessary by four-hundredths.

My Beat Zico 2048 https://youtu.be/jzj80oVJljs
Didn't risk the double barrel roll left shortcut, messy on the final shortcut but good side shifting helped comfortably beat Zico by three-tenths.

Nice.
I feel like Beat Zico 2048 allows for way more mistakes than Beat Zico HD.
HD requires a perfect run and only allows slight mistakes when it comes to the racing line.
2048 is much more forgiving when it comes to leaving out barrel roles or even hitting the wall.
I full on crashed into the wall in the last shortcut and still got it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7oMr1zSIU

Yet, HD only took me half the attempts I needed for 2048.

Shin-Ra

I couldn't pull off that first Downtown barrel roll reliably anyway, but found when I did it messed up my tight racing line round the first few corners.

Love booting the game up and powering through an Elite Phantom tournament to get the blood pumping! So happy with this Collection, can tell I'll be returning for years to come. Would be great to see the photo mode have more options added in a patch because the game is gorgeous and I've spent a surprising amount of time snapping away.

Greenymac

Ok so Breath of the Wild DLC came out and I have been doing my Greeny the korok hunter thing. I hope when I start this up all my 2048 muscle memory doesn't fade!

Where is that event? 2050?

Yeah, it's in 2050. It's off to the left, away from the main paths. I believe the A+ challenges unlock once you finish 2050's final race.

Rounded up all the gimmicky trophies the past few days. The most difficult was not firing for 10 laps in Detonator. Somehow I got Flatland Flyer after about 3 tries. It's easier just backing up/reversing instead of doing the whole lap again. Did it on Flash, for me there was too much speed to get the necessary control on higher classes.

Now I have to decide if I really wanna get good and get Elite golds in everything, and go after Zico. Just ain't there yet...

Greenymac

Yeah, it's in 2050. It's off to the left, away from the main paths. I believe the A+ challenges unlock once you finish 2050's final race.

Rounded up all the gimmicky trophies the past few days. The most difficult was not firing for 10 laps in Detonator. Somehow I got Flatland Flyer after about 3 tries. It's easier just backing up/reversing instead of doing the whole lap again. Did it on Flash, for me there was too much speed to get the necessary control on higher classes.

Now I have to decide if I really wanna get good and get Elite golds in everything, and go after Zico. Just ain't there yet...

You'll never be there unless you throw yourself in...Race box is your friend.

Daggoth

Is this game easier than HD was on PS3? I did all the elite events without many problems and people are saying Zico is a cakewalk.

they (who ported this game) didn't touch AI and physics – it's all the same. So answer is no.
Came to ask this, and this is really surprising. I couldn't elite gold Meltdown (HD event 8) back in the day, and after days of trying, I gave up. The tournament, Sebenco and some of the time trials at phantom level were just too much.

I've just done it all in about 2 hours on Omega 😕

Platinuming this might actually be possible. Depends on Zico and the Fury campaign which I never really got into.

Came to ask this, and this is really surprising. I couldn't elite gold Meltdown (HD event 8) back in the day, and after days of trying, I gave up. The tournament, Sebenco and some of the time trials at phantom level were just too much.

I've just done it all in about 2 hours on Omega 😕

Platinuming this might actually be possible. Depends on Zico and the Fury campaign which I never really got into.

Fury is just as easy, honestly, if more tedious.

j^aws

Has anyone tried this Wipeout Omega Collection on a PSVR headset? I know it doesn't have a VR Mode, but I was curious to see it in 2D Mode.

Firstly, it feels like I'm sitting in a huge movie theatre by myself, without annoying heads in my way. Secondly, the image is in a lower resolution, and with the Screen Door Effect from the PSVR screen adding 'noise' to the image, I get this old-school feeling of seeing A CRT-like screen with a Shadow Mask. Kinda not what I was expecting, but somewhat amazing still with the action in my face, which evoked a high-end 90s arcade machine.

A VR enabled Wipeout would fry my retinas. Bring it.

pixelation

Is 2048 the most difficult one out of the bunch?, i'm done with HD and currently going through Fury. But going by the comments ITT 2048 is the hardest one?

Shin-Ra

The Zone targets are much more difficult in 2048, but as long as you don't try to use a prototype ship like I did, it's not so bad!

Has anyone tried this Wipeout Omega Collection on a PSVR headset? I know it doesn't have a VR Mode, but I was curious to see it in 2D Mode.

Firstly, it feels like I'm sitting in a huge movie theatre by myself, without annoying heads in my way. Secondly, the image is in a lower resolution, and with the Screen Door Effect from the PSVR screen adding 'noise' to the image, I get this old-school feeling of seeing A CRT-like screen with a Shadow Mask. Kinda not what I was expecting, but somewhat amazing still with the action in my face, which evoked a high-end 90s arcade machine.

A VR enabled Wipeout would fry my retinas. Bring it.

I actually just tried this the other night and had the exactly same impression! It was just liked being in one of those old full-immersion arcade pods (like they used to have for that star wars original trilogy arcade game). Cool as it was, but yeah, we definitely need a full VR Wipeout in the future.

Thanks man, i'll be sure to remember your advise once i start 2048.

Yeah, I think it's because the type of ship actually matters in 2048, as opposed to HD/Fury where they all have the same stats. Just pick an agility ship and you shouldn't have much trouble making any of the pass requirements.

Anyone know if any of the top players on the leaderboards post on GAF? It would be interesting to get their perspective on practice and performance. feisar_2097, EmmaTH, Studio Liverpool, some guy with Chee5e in his name I think. There are a few who are near the top for every record.

Greenymac

Yeah, I think it's because the type of ship actually matters in 2048, as opposed to HD/Fury where they all have the same stats. Just pick an agility ship and you shouldn't have much trouble making any of the pass requirements.

Anyone know if any of the top players on the leaderboards post on GAF? It would be interesting to get their perspective on practice and performance. feisar_2097, EmmaTH, Studio Liverpool, some guy with Chee5e in his name I think. There are a few who are near the top for every record.

You can find them on wipeoutzone... I've been a member there for years. Great pilots there...

Top Bottom