• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Curufinwe

Ehhh, just host a game and they'll come.

But if you host a game, set the speed to Phantom, wait for at least four players, and set the target to at least 300.

Lots of dummies out there set it to a low speed and a low target, and then the race ends without many kills happening.

dracula_x

Ehhh, just host a game and they'll come.

giphy.gif

I guess I should hurry to get the online trophies before the servers are too empty.
I think they are actually the only ons I am still missing + elimination 2 opponents in a race and the HD/Fury beat Zico trophy.
This will be my 4th platinum. My first plat was Wipeout 2048.

Pachimari

I'm surprised to see how fast the online servers have died out? Which is damn sad considering the work they've done to port there games over to PS4.

I'm surprised to see how fast the online servers have died out? Which is damn sad considering the work they've done to port there games over to PS4.

Yeah, HD had an active online community for years too. Who knows, it might actually pick up over time. I haven't had much time to play online yet because exams etc.

Greenymac

Yeah, HD had an active online community for years too. Who knows, it might actually pick up over time. I haven't had much time to play online yet because exams etc.

I think a lot of people have gone online and seen how slow they really were and got discouraged. A buddy of mine was streaming not long after release and I joined his lobby. I proceeded to wipe the floor with everyone and he barely finished. I left the lobby because I shouldn't have been in there if I was winning by that much. I haven't seen him on Wipeout since that day...

I think a lot of people have gone online and seen how slow they really were and got discouraged. A buddy of mine was streaming not long after release and I joined his lobby. I proceeded to wipe the floor with everyone and he barely finished. I left the lobby because I shouldn't have been in there if I was winning by that much. I haven't seen him on Wipeout since that day...

This is why I never bothered with Online. The higher-end modes in Wipeout (going back to the original) were beyond me, so I know I'd get creamed in Online play.

I didn't play HD online either. Hell, this is true for me and virtually any online-capable racing game.

Shin-Ra

Down to the last tournament (Elite) in Fury. Tried once and got destroyed by the AI in several races, this is going to be another fun one!

Then 2049 and '50.

Wow you can really notice the difference between speed classes by finishing the last section of HD's campaign (all Phantom class events) and then moving on to the first sections of 2048 and Fury's campaigns. Feels like my ship is trudging through molasses. Maybe I should have mixed it up more so each campaign progresses similarly speed-wise.

I thought I didn't have a chance on Phantom but surprised myself by finishing up that last group of HD events with little trouble (granted only on Skilled). It wasn't pretty, there was a lot of wall bumping/blasts, but I still managed to get all golds.

You people doing this stuff on Elite are nuts. Mad respect.

Wow you can really notice the difference between speed classes by finishing the last section of HD's campaign (all Phantom class events) and then moving on to the first sections of 2048 and Fury's campaigns. Feels like my ship is trudging through molasses. Maybe I should have mixed it up more so each campaign progresses similarly speed-wise.

I thought I didn't have a chance on Phantom but surprised myself by finishing up that last group of HD events with little trouble (granted only on Skilled). It wasn't pretty, there was a lot of wall bumping/blasts, but I still managed to get all golds.

You people doing this stuff on Elite are nuts. Mad respect.

This was my experience as well. Actually, I was ready to drop everything to Novice upon seeing the field full of Phantom races, but in the end I only needed to do it twice, and with some luck/practice I could probably upgrade those to Skilled.

Dunno if I'll be able to do the same with Fury, though. Some of those tracks can be devastating even on Rapier (hello chicanes+hairpin combo in Modesto Heights!), but I've been using Fury events to earn loyalty for teams I don't usually fly, so maybe if I go back to my one true love Assegai it'll be fine?

Weirdly, after a few bad starts here and there, I've found that elite golds on Eliminator events has been pretty easy even in Nuked, so in general Fury's been going much better for me than HD when it comes to percentage of elite golds.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Yesterday I played a few rounds of eliminator and that was enough to get me the trophy and the platinum. I think my best was 14 destroyed ships (500 point limit). Plasma is such a fun weapon to use.

There are some absurdly good players online sometimes. Can’t keep up no matter how hard I try.

It's a shame that online is dead. I'm definitely part of the problem. I'm finding it harder to get back into the series. Pulse dominated my PSP for years, but I missed out on HD when I didn't join the PS360 gen until late. Now, too many other games are demanding my time.

I think the community will strengthen over time. Players (especially new ones) will probably want to play through the game's single player offerings until they are comfortable enough to race against others. I usually don't play on classes slower than Phantom and Rapier and this is making the earlier parts of single player a drag for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Am on the last section of the HD campaign, going for 100% gold elite. Been meaning to do it for years.

That last Phantom Sebenco single race is tough but you can do it.

Chenghou is easy when you realize pointing your ship's nose down helps you get around that turn (you probably know the one)

Greenymac

Chenghou is easy when you realize pointing your ship's nose down helps you get around that turn (you probably know the one)

Sebenco becomes easier when you nose your ship down through all the corners until you get to the big hill. Those corners like to throw you into air. You can save a second each lap by just holding the nose down so you don't get thrown as high.

Koopatrol

As someone who never played Wipeout 2048 prior, the A+ challenges are brutal. Getting an Elite pass on Unity Square was easily the hardest of the bunch for me, and Queen's Mall was also pretty difficult for some reason. The others were tough but they didn't really take that many tries.

Yesterday I played a few rounds of eliminator and that was enough to get me the trophy and the platinum. I think my best was 14 destroyed ships (500 point limit). Plasma is such a fun weapon to use.

There are some absurdly good players online sometimes. Can’t keep up no matter how hard I try.

Lol, I wonder if I ran into you yesterday. There was an eliminator match going with a near full lobby every time, also had a 500 point limit. Ended up getting the 50 kill trophy after like 5 or 6 rounds, only won once though with 15 kills. Some of the other rounds I got absolutely bodied, there were some good players in there.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Lol, I wonder if I ran into you yesterday. There was an eliminator match going with a near full lobby every time, also had a 500 point limit. Ended up getting the 50 kill trophy after like 5 or 6 rounds, only won once though with 15 kills. Some of the other rounds I got absolutely bodied, there were some good players in there.
You sure did. You even got to be in the 50 Kills trophy screenshot that it automatically takes. I'm afraid someone else got the honor of being the 50th destroyed ship. :] I raced with Qirex-RD.

xrnzaaas

I'm still playing the 2048 campaign, because I love repeating the events to try and improve (I'm nowhere near the top of the global leaderboards but at least I'm fighting for the lead in the friends leaderboards ;)). It's crazy that almost all tracks in 2048 are superb. Sol is probably my favorite because of no barriers. :)

Koopatrol

You sure did. You even got to be in the 50 Kills trophy screenshot that it automatically takes. I'm afraid someone else got the honor of being the 50th destroyed ship. :] I raced with Qirex-RD.

Awesome! Yeah, I was using Feisar, which isn't the best ship to use for eliminator but whatever aha. The first round I played I think I won because some people were using ships with low health, after that it seemed like a lot of people were using Triakis.

Shin-Ra

Final Fury tournament on Elite, my ship was destroyed twice, went from 1st to 8th in one race thanks to a couple of attacks on the last lap but I won the other five races. Going into the last race I was 4points behind, I think I only gained enough points over the silver winner thanks to some mines I dropped. 🤤

Man, fuck Aftermath. Very first race on Skilled, I can't even make it to the finish line twice, and the third time I get knocked back from first to last because it turns out you can fly off the track in the tunnel at the end of Talon's Junction Reverse, and the game will reset you back to where you jumped the wall the last time so you can do it over and over.

I kind of just want to call the game done, I'm so frustrated. Rapier feels like the sweet spot for me, Phantom is just stupid chaos.

SephLuis

Man, fuck Aftermath. Very first race on Skilled, I can't even make it to the finish line twice, and the third time I get knocked back from first to last because it turns out you can fly off the track in the tunnel at the end of Talon's Junction Reverse, and the game will reset you back to where you jumped the wall the last time so you can do it over and over.

I kind of just want to call the game done, I'm so frustrated. Rapier feels like the sweet spot for me, Phantom is just stupid chaos.

I thought Aftermath was easier than Nuked. That's mostly because the AI cannot handle Phantom speeds very well.

One thing that helped me a lot in Fury was tackling the events that had the same course first. So, for example, there were three events on Talon's Junction Reverse, I would tackle them first all together. Makes it much easier because you get used to the track, which is a problem in Fury since it likes to use normal and reverse variations.

Shin-Ra

... the AI cannot handle Phantom speeds very well.
This is the big equaliser, you mostly need to just get around the tracks with minimal wall scrapes, absorb a lot and survive. Not so much ideal racing line, barrel rolls and speed pads fortunately.

Wiped89

Phew, went online for the first time last night and mopped up the three online trophies in a couple of hours. That was fun, and the EU servers have a few races on. It seems to be a mix of noobs in Feisars on rank 1 and hardcores in Icaras on rank 20 something.

I am not going to Plat this game though, thanks to the absurdly difficult A+ 2048 challenges. Who thought they were a good idea?! The AI simply cheats. I quake the pack and no one even blinks. I missile people and they just keep going. The highest I managed was 5th, and that put me at number 450 in the world for my time. Stupid.

88random

Wipeoutzone has a nice community, they'll always help with trophies, there's no hurry. Anyway, I still don't have a game that I preordered two months ago. It probably got lost on the way...

xrnzaaas

I hate you!
Not on a personal level, just on a barrier level.

Sol is like the Monaco GP of Wipeout. You make one small mistake and you lose a lot, not just slow down. :) Also that small gap in the first section of the track is giving me nightmares, will I drive over boost and hop over to the other side or not. :D

I would also like to thank someone from this thread (forgot who and I'm too lazy to search ;)) that suggested not to give up in the A+ challenges. I was restarting the Sol event over and over after making mistakes on the opening laps or getting successfully attacked by the AI, but at the end of the day it's the last 2-3 laps that really count (assuming you're not very far behind the leaders at that point).

88random

Catch-up mechanic is pretty strong. You can let them get a pretty substantial lead and then catch up in a lap or two. There are videos on YT where HellfireWZ let's Elite AI get a full lap lead and then eventually wins the race in only 5 laps.

Sub_Level

I am not going to Plat this game though, thanks to the absurdly difficult A+ 2048 challenges. Who thought they were a good idea?! The AI simply cheats. I quake the pack and no one even blinks. I missile people and they just keep going. The highest I managed was 5th, and that put me at number 450 in the world for my time. Stupid.

Winning only one A+ race is required for the plat btw. Just a small clarification.

Its recommended to do all of them for the exp but technically you only need to do the one.

CS_Dan

Cheers, tackling that one now! 😅 Chenghou took a fair few tries.

I've never used the nose up/down stuff.

Curufinwe

Yup, they suck. Especially since the first half of the race doesn't even matter.

88random

After the 90 degree turn and a jump, you have a long curve that's leaned outwards. You should nose down to make ship more stable through the turn.

Sub_Level

Aw man finished a a minisecond behind someone online. The race was just between us.

That person ended up getting a Photo Finish accolade thingy at the end which was cool. Never saw that before.

Chenghou is a pretty good track to get a feel for nailing a racing line, as it makes it pretty clear when your got your stuff wrong.

Fail at squaring the hairpin and not only you'll slow down to a crawl (and maybe hit the outside wall), but you'll also miss the boost pad; do the negative camber corkscrew wide open and you're gonna have one hell of a bumpy ride (pitching down helps immensely here); approach the chicane too close to the inside wall and you'll pinball your whole way through.

Winning only one A+ race is required for the plat btw. Just a small clarification.

Its recommended to do all of them for the exp but technically you only need to do the one.

..........you're joking. You only need -one- A+ Gold for platinum??

L.o.l. I just finished getting the last A+ Gold in 2049, with only a few left in 2050.

At least I have chicken. And some XP I suppose.

Sub_Level

At least I have chicken. And some XP I suppose.

For sure. Otherwise you have to grind for xp which is borin. Even elite passing all A+ races people still have to grind to reach level 50 lol

Also keep in mind if you at least get top 3 in A+ race you still get 10k xp which is nice. Only applies to first time you do it I believe.

Sub_Level

Got some good races in.

u2tmmpF.jpg

If you see these two you are pretty much guaranteed to lose lol. This is a race where I got lucky and happened to beat one of them, but like on the other 12 races played they both beat me and others by an appreciable time.

CS_Dan

Got some good races in.

u2tmmpF.jpg

If you see these two you are pretty much guaranteed to lose lol. This is a race where I got lucky and happened to beat one of them, but like on the other 12 races played they both beat me and others by an appreciable time.
Do you think StudioLiverpool is actually an old Dev account?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Got some good races in.

u2tmmpF.jpg

Psh! I managed to eliminate Feiser when we were doing the Eliminator.

Also, final Meltdown elite tourny was not as difficult as I thought, had a comfortable 10 point lead in the end. Going back to Venom for the Fury campaign now feels like mole's ass (channelling my Oddworld's Stranger here).

Wiped89

Okay, so FUCK the A+ challenges so badly. If I ever meet whoever designed it... well I will end up in trouble. I'm glad SL got closed if this is what they thought Wipeout should be like.

The speed isn't an issue. The cheating AI is pretty bad but what makes it all so unbearable is:
-The glitches! At this speed there are just glitches everywhere. Trackside signs that suddenly stop you dead. If you turbo down the home straight of Sol, you will hit the start/finish sign. Several times I have also taken the left fork and my barrel roll has inexplicably hurtled UP into the atmosphere.
-if any AI touch you, you fly off the sides in race-ending manner. You just seem to bounce off them for miles.
-the weapons that hit you! I got into first and in ONE lap I was hit with four missiles and a quake, the last of which pushed me off the track. Again.

It's just impossible. I spent two hours at it and got 3rd.

Top Bottom